Archive for Monday, March 27, 2006

Sandwich shop reports afternoon robbery

March 27, 2006

Lawrence Police said a man posing as a potential customer robbed Quizno's, 2540 Iowa, Sunday afternoon.

According to police, the man sat in the sandwich shop for some time before eventually approaching a clerk at the register, asking for change.

When the clerk opened the drawer, the man told her to empty the register, then to lie face-first on the ground while he exited the store, police said. Another employee was in the back of the store at the time.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said the man never displayed or mentioned a weapon during the robbery, but Quizno's employees said the man held his hand in his pocket when demanding the money. Hadl said police think the man headed south on foot with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Police described the suspect as a white man with a beard and a heavy build in his mid-20s. He was wearing a green windbreaker and a green hat. They were still searching for the robber Sunday evening.

Police asked that anyone with any information call 832-TIPS, an anonymous tips line.

Comments

dozer 8 years, 8 months ago

I bet it was the Subway spokesman, Jared.

That crazy cat is at it again.

neopolss 8 years, 8 months ago

He was wearing green though, just like Blimpie's

kansas_prairieland 8 years, 8 months ago

Gee, when it comes to robbing a store or bank....the old "hand in the coat jacket-thing" seems to work now more than ever!!

Huh!

badger 8 years, 8 months ago

"never displayed or mentioned a weapon during the robbery, but Quizno's employees said the man held his hand in his pocket when demanding the money."

I wonder, then, if he's caught, will the charge be based on the assumption he was armed or not? He never claimed to be armed, just let them assume it. Technically, he just walked up to the register and said, "Give me all the money," and she did. It was kind of an aggressive sort of panhandling, really...

Is there a category of robbery that doesn't involve actually threatening someone, just demanding money?

I wonder what exactly the legal name for what he did is, if he wasn't armed, never threatened, and didn't actually say he had a weapon. Any lawyers wanna help me out? Is it just plain robbery? And if a homeless guy with his hands in his pockets asks me for money and I give it to him, is that the same thing?

Not antagonizing, just legally curious.

ben_ness 8 years, 8 months ago

Inside job, look to the employees first.

AlexFenton 8 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like someone finally slept off their St. Patty's day buzz and needed money for more booze.

e_chan97 8 years, 8 months ago

Maybe I should have fought back, and let him hurt me. Then maybe you guys would be singing a different tune huh?

badger 8 years, 8 months ago

Wow, defensive much? Enough to even send me the same nasty message off-board to make sure I saw it? Chill out, ok?

I never said you should have fought back. I worked gas stations and retail too long. You don't push them, you don't fight, you give them the money because you know full well the boss is insured for it. I worked one day for someone who said I shouldn't just hand over money in a robbery, and never went back. Fighting them is being stupid for money that's not even really your responsibility to protect.

My question is a legal one. You obviously assumed he had a weapon (not an unreasonable assumption). However, if in fact he didn't, and he never threatened you and never said he had a weapon, then will the law take your assumption of his armed status and call it 'armed robbery' (meaning that in this case the simple implied possibility of the weapon was his weapon), or is there a class of robbery for people who essentially walk up to someone else and demand that they be given money without taking any formally recognized threatening action (pantomiming a gun, shaking a fist, verbally threatening to shoot or harm someone)?

I wasn't being antagonistic. It really is a point of legal curiosity to know just exactly if there's a specific crime for 'robbery by implied weapon' or if implied weapons constitute armed robbery and to what degree, or what. You might read the part of my post where I said, "Not antagonizing, just legally curious."

You also might take a couple of deep breaths. There's such a thing as trauma counseling to help you deal with the effects of being robbed on the job, and workers' compensation may pay for it. I'd suggest you look into that.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 8 months ago

e_chan, I am glad you didn't get hurt, and I agree with Badger's comments, some counseling would help, not to say you are mentally disordered, but to say that you have suffered what any reasonable person would experience as an extreme stress event.
I'm hoping you have some support and good way to cool off.
please just ignore the "inside job" and "joke" comments. unfortunately, these comment spaces are open to anybody, even those who: are having a bad day; having a stupid day; having a bad life; having a stupid life.

thanks for posting here. hang in there!

Lorenzo_Teris 8 years, 8 months ago

e_chan,

Thank God you did't get your head blown off!!

Lorenzo_Teris 8 years, 8 months ago

Oops!

I meant "didn't"......I left out the "n".