Archive for Friday, March 17, 2006

Wild pigs gunned down at Clinton

Feral swine said to be nationwide problem

March 17, 2006

The team of government agents armed with shotguns and a helicopter succeeded in its mission near Clinton Lake.

"They were feral swine, which means they were domestic pigs that either got away from somebody or were intentionally released," said Rob Ladner, a law enforcement officer and supervisor with the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks in Topeka.

The helicopter shooting team was sent by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal, Plant Health and Inspection Service. They also hunted wild pigs in four or five other areas of the state last week, Ladner said.

Over the past few years, wild pigs also had been a problem in Sumner County in south-central Kansas and in the Cimarron National Grasslands in western Kansas. About a hundred wild pigs were killed in the course of the week's hunting, Ladner said.

"This is what they do all the time," Ladner said of the shooting team. "This is a nationwide problem."

The pigs were first seen in the Clinton Wildlife Area in 2002, said Clyde Umscheid, a Wildlife and Parks officer in the Lawrence area.

"People started hunting them and driving them up onto private lands," Umscheid said. "They were rooting up farm crops and ground. We were also concerned they might spread diseases to farm cattle or domestic animals."

On public hunting grounds, the hogs destroyed wild game habitat for birds and deer.

"They don't mix well" with native wildlife, Ladner said.

There are no restrictions on hunting wild hogs or pigs because they are not considered wildlife, Ladner said. Because they are considered livestock, their regulation comes under the jurisdiction of the Kansas Livestock commissioner. Commissioner George Teagarden and Kansas Animal Health Department assisted in organizing the eradication effort.

Once domestic pigs are turned loose in the wild, they eventually revert to their wild instincts and genes as they reproduce. Some grow tusks and wiry hair, Ladner and Umscheid said.

"It only takes one or two generations, and then they revert to more of a wild appearance," Ladner said.

It is not uncommon for wild hogs weighing 400 pounds or more to be found, and the largest one at Clinton weighed about 425 pounds, Umscheid said.

Ladner doubts all the hogs that were hanging out at Clinton were killed, but any that escaped probably have scattered to other areas. The population was dispersing anyway because of local hunting.

"They destroyed all that they could find," Ladner said. "I think that we have some that are spread out probably clear into Shawnee County."

Comments

johnadavies 8 years, 9 months ago

"Th'-th'-th'-th'-th'-th'-that's All, Folks!"

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

Hilarious Porky Pig reference. Good one. It's so wrong, that its funny.

cutny 8 years, 9 months ago

man...where's a photo when you need one?

bankboy119 8 years, 9 months ago

Get paid to hunt? In a helicopter? I'm there.

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 9 months ago

P.S. It's the "other" white meat. Thank you, Lynn

tpatric 8 years, 9 months ago

Where the heck does LJW get their headlines from...the Daily News?

spikey_mcmarbles 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm perfectly fine with the killing of ferral swine.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

awwww, I must have upset Lulu and her PETA clan.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 9 months ago

they should allow people to hunt them with spears and dogs(catalina island does this)....this is true hunting, you suffer the risk of the pig winning once in a while

Christine Anderson 8 years, 9 months ago

Spare the helicopter and ammo. Just order them to run off one of the cliffs out there!!

Pigs are a disgusting animal, anyway, and not kosher!( ha,ha)

spikey_mcmarbles 8 years, 9 months ago

Dude what are you talking about? Pork is probably the best meat available. Bacon rules! I'll take a big center cut pork chop over a ribeye or kc strip anyday.

Pork rules - beef drools!

OmegaPaiN 8 years, 9 months ago

Sign me up for that job. Seriously.

Lulu 8 years, 9 months ago

Where is the sport from the Slaughtering-Industrial Complex? Using helicopter gunships to hunt down defenseless pigs trying to exist in a man made environment to carry on their bloodlines. The only reward is death from a helicopter. Just as freedom fighters and innocent civilians die in Iraq in a war based on lies and deceit.

Ted Nugent should be proud.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

I'd quit my crappy desk job to do that! Will they let me wear a dirty bandana around my head like Rambo, and make bungie traps? What kind of helicopter is it? A Huey with a mounted 30 cal.?

It's really too bad they are diseased. In all seriousness, I'd be out there with my 12 gauge side-by-side. I'd turn in my turkey loads for some "00" buck shot. Wild boar on the grill, baby.

Lulu 8 years, 9 months ago

Reading the responses to me puts me in tears. It is pure laziness that caused the slaughter of these defenseless animals. Nobody wanted to tranquilize these pigs and move them?

These poor defenseless animals dropped off in the country by uncaring humans, leaving them to fend for themselves in a new and hostile environment, striving to survive over a number of years only to be rewarded by having a helicopter gunship hunt them down and kill them in such a painful manner. It makes me sick and sad that nobody cares. It makes me sick and sad that you all treat it as a joke. Charlotte couldn't spin a web to save these poor creatures of love, they were doomed to die a painful death.

spikey_mcmarbles 8 years, 9 months ago

This article makes me want to fry up a big skillet of bacon!

Lulu, you're exactly right. Rather than hunting them with helos, we should call in the B2's from Whiteman for some laser guided 500# bomb strikes. The B2 is super stealth, so they won't know anything is going on until they find themselves in piggy heaven.

What about calling in the KS National Guard and the 1st ID from Ft Riley to help out? Those guys and gals could get in some good practice sneaking thru the woods trying to light up those pesky porkers.

aeroscout17 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm still wincing at the headline and the use of the term "gunned" down. That seems a little extreme. I started thinking maybe they were roaming around downtown or something. How about something more truthful and not as inciting like "Destructive Feral Pigs Eradicated."

These are not wild, they are feral and there is a difference. These are actually one of the most destructive animal problems we have in the U.S. and the reason APHIS has a team to take care of them.

spikey_mcmarbles 8 years, 9 months ago

It's too bad Hogzilla was a boar, as boar meat tastes like crap. I wonder what the slabs looked like from that monster? I bet the tenderloin was as big as your leg, and the chops were as big as a hubcap.

cavtrooper 8 years, 9 months ago

Lulu.. Did you read the story??? Those are FERAL hogs.. not native animals. The Fish and Game guys are trying (and failing) to control the spread of a species that has NO place in our local ecosystems. Have you ever had an encounter with a large feral hog?? I have (not here, in Texas)and having 400 pounds of aggressive, well armed and irritated hog giving you the evil eye from around 20 yards is NOT fun. It took 7 rounds of .303 Enfield to put Mr Hog down and he got to within 12 feet before he expired. Lulu, your concern for the wellfare of these animals is touching, but misplaced.

armyguy 8 years, 9 months ago

Spiky, you might be suprised how may of the Ks National guard have been there hunting them. It has been public hunting for a long time. The only thing needed is a hunting licence, which members of the Guard gets free. Heck the rangers there will even tell you where there most likey at.

aeroscout17 8 years, 9 months ago

You can hunt them at Ft. Riley also; problem is they like the impact area and other nasty areas that are hard to get into.

Janet Lowther 8 years, 9 months ago

Folks, pigs can be very dangerous critters. I haven't heard of it lately, but in the days of pigpens on small farms it wasn't unheard of for someone to fall down in a pigpen and never get up again because much of their bodies were eaten. To this day when my father is going to acquaint someone with unwelcome facts he says, "I'm going to tell 'em how the hogs ate up their little brother."

Hunting wild hogs with dogs is emphatically dangerous to the dogs, with the dogs often being seriously injured or killed.

Wild hogs are perhaps the most dangerous game to the hunter. As I understand it a big hog can take a shotgun slug in the heart and still run over a hunter ripping him up with its tusks while it is at it. See Humberto Fontova's The Hellpig Hunt for a somewhat humorous account of hunting wild hogs.

Shooting them from the air sounds like a good idea to me.

Native 8 years, 9 months ago

Now that headline is sensationalistic! It depicts the wildlife professionals as villains recklessly gunning down poor innocent animals. Well, innocent they may be, but non-native species that can and will destroy habitat they are. I'll bet many months of planning preceeded this operation. Wild pigs are very smart. Hat's off to the wildlife officials for handling this problem effectively and efficiently. Ignore the media's characterizations and move on.

bankboy119 8 years, 9 months ago

Haha gotta love the Lulu comments.

Lulu, go try and make nice with the piggies and when you get eaten you'll change your mind.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 9 months ago

YIPPEE YI TY YAYH!

and, lulu is probably a radical vegan, don't eat any meat and opposed to others doing so...

agreed, too bad they're diseased, otherwise could be good meat.

good_kitty 8 years, 9 months ago

I think the peanut gallery needs to stop attacking Lulu.

Lulu, I think you are wonderful. Just know you are not the only one who finds this story to be tragic. It's so typical that the carnivores cannot get past harrassing those whom actually care about ALL beings- four-legged beings or even the knuckle-draggin' two-legged ted nugent beings.

power to the beasts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newport 8 years, 9 months ago

I agree with the poster who commented on the headline. "Gunned Down" is totally inappropriate.

This story has a wonderful Redneck slant to it.....I'm completely shocked.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

Lulu:

Not only are these destructive, disease-carrying wild animals that would attack you if you were having a picnic at the lake too close to where they are... doing whatever they like to do, they are also LIVESTOCK. What do you think pig farmers do with pigs? They kill them. The bullet of a .30-06 rifle may not be as nice as the way they kill them at the slaughterhouse (though, I wouldn't assume that there's a BIG difference to the pig), but in the end all of these pigs would be DEAD.

If my cat got loose and someone shot it, I'd probably find it hard to avoid committing a serious crime against that person. But, my little Boo is a pet; heck, he sleeps with me. Unless you are a vegan or something, you eat animals who are being killed in similar fashion. It's their lot in life to be eaten. Put it in perspective! I can appreciate that you don't want any living thing to suffer, but this is the reality of the situation.

Also, don't blame the farmers. How many people would spend money on pigs only to purposefully let them loose? They got out by accident, most likely.

Jrlii is absolutely correct. Razorbacks can be seriously dangerous. The ones that survive the wild are formidable in a fight. If we had packs of wild dogs in the same area would we be upset that they were being put down? I don't think so.

"I'm going to tell 'em how the hogs ate up their little brother." I'm going to have to find a way to work that into conversation this week. Classic old dude speak.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

Muslims don't eat pork because they believe that pigs are dirty. I totally agree with them. One of my relatives works on a pig farm, and the stories he tells me would make anyone think twice about eating these disgusting animals. There are many times when a pig/piglet gets injured and has just one drop of blood on it. All the others pigs smell the blood and eat the pig alive! My relative says that they have to check the pigs often, since they sometimes get there and find only the bones. He says that pigs will eat absolutely anything, including their own feces, brothers, sisters, etc. Can you blame the Muslims for not finding this to be an attractive meat?

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

optimist 8 years, 9 months ago

My statements have nothing to do with killing pigs but rather it is a response to Lulu's vile remarks.

As for the subject at hand: Shooting pigs...sounds like fun.

I resent Lulu's characterization of terrorists as "freedom fighters". For her to refer to these criminals and miscreants as innocent defenders of freedom is stupid and anti-American. If these "freedom fighters" had their chance they would control Iraq and its people and rule them with a heavy fist. They would force them to live under Shari`ah where women would be subjugated to the whims of men. Women would be denied an education, the right to choose who to marry and denied control of their reproductive rights. I can't believe someone who appears to be as progressive as you can call these people "freedom fighters". They are fighting to enslave people.

I further resent your statement that innocent civilians are being killed because of the U.S. If in fact civilians are dying it is at the hands of the terrorists or as you call them "freedom fighters". To say otherwise calls into question the decency of those serving in our military. If you think these men and women are indifferent to the plight of civilians you are ignorant. The mere thought of hurting a civilian, especially women and children haunts these soldiers.

Our soldiers are trained to fight in such a way those civilian casualties are nearly eliminated. Our soldiers shoot accurately and precisely at recognized targets. Our bombs are so intelligent that they rarely miss their intended target. Every effort has gone into avoiding civilian casualties. To suggest differently is a flat out lie and can only be meant to undermine our soldiers and help our enemies.

If you hate this country so much then try to change it and when you fail consider living somewhere else but quit hiding behind the protection of this great country preserved by the fine soldiers you undermine while making malicious propagandistic statements aimed at aiding our enemies.

The only similarity between this war and Viet Nam is that there are still people like you out there doing everything in their power to give moral support to our enemies while working to diminish support for our troops. If that isn't anti-American then nothing is. Just please control yourself and avoid spitting at soldiers returning from battle.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

Confrontation: I removed your post. Killing people is not a joke.

The dietary standards of Muslims are basically the same as that of orthodox Jews (ironic, isn't it?). Most "unclean" animals are scavengers: those that eat whatever thing they find rotting on the ground. Catfish and shellfish are in that category because they are bottom feeders.

Christians have been known to eat Twinkies. So, yes, I think Muslims have higher dietary standards.

Lulu: are you for real? Are you a caricature of a Lawrence tree-hugger, or are you the real deal?

Linda Aikins 8 years, 9 months ago

Everywhere there's lots of piggies Living piggy lives

You can see them out for dinner With their piggy wives

badger 8 years, 9 months ago

"When it was all over, 25 wild pigs had been gunned down, tested for disease and carted away to an approved mass grave in Osage County."

Mass grave?

Pfft.

That's just one big fire and some banana leaves short of a luau!

Y'know, I'd argue with Lulu, that these animals, as they're an example of what happens when man doesn't respect native wildlife enough to keep from just letting untended livestock go feral and drive out indigenous species, but I have roasty pig on the brain and I'm afraid the drooling is going to lock up the keyboard pretty soon.

Mmmmmmmmroastpiggy.

Confrontation 8 years, 9 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad: Perhaps you need to read other comments on here that discuss the killing of people in Iraq. Are those bad posts? I don't figure PETA members to be any better than those innocent people dying in Iraq. Obviously, I was joking about the headline, but your face is too far into the bible to know reality. Perhaps you should get rid of your bible, since it discusses a whole lot of murders.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

Dang, Derf. Sorry to hear about the baby killing. That would suck... HUGE.

Who's upset about the dead pigs, now?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

Confrontation:

The Bible doesn't make jokes about killing people.

I'm sorry about Iraq posts that made light of people dying. I noticed yours, so I had it removed.

But, it seems we are off topic. This discussion is about the wonderful things you can do with BACON.

My wife made a bow-tie pasta dish on Wednesday night that had greens, pine nuts and bacon in it. Oh... it was so good.

badger 8 years, 9 months ago

See, prospector, I've had the 'hot rocks' roast pig and the 'giant bonfire on top of it' roast pig, and I have to say I prefer the latter.

Plus, it's got the bonus of 'bonfire'. Win-win!

OldEnuf - I highly recommend taking some shrimp and some scallops, wrapping them individually in bacon, and grilling them. They're extra tasty if you baste them in a mixture of rum and honey with ginger in it while grilling. That's probably my favorite non-breakfast use of bacon.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm looking for investors. I'm going to open a .com where people can hunt feral pigs from their homes using IP protocols. Click and shoot.

www.clintonpigkilling.com

www.clicknkill.com

www.e-boar.com

For an extra fee and greater challenge, we'll offer remote piloted helocopter hunting as well (we'll trademark the name "helo-killing").

willie_wildcat 8 years, 9 months ago

I read on the older articles from 2004 that some of these pigs may have been released intentionally when pork prices dropped. Do people not understand the consequences of their actions?

And cavtrooper has a good point. These pigs are feral and not native to the area. They devastate flora and fauna of an area and pose a threat to people. Just read some of the stories about close encounters. These pigs fear no one or no thing.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 9 months ago

Why weren't they warning people before now about the wild pigs and that they could have come across some while at Clinton Lake?

If there are that many of them, it sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen...

And yeah, my mother's grandparents had a farm, so she knew all about pigs, and taught us. But most people don't know that pigs will eat meat. Any meat.

8 years, 9 months ago

Original Bob: Dude, you never should have recommended reading the archives...it's like a... you just can't avert your eyes no matter how hard you try. I just had to add some of the best to my own blog... elborak.com

The only thing I would take seriously is that she's probably teaching your children.

Food for thought.

lunacydetector 8 years, 9 months ago

not to break ranks with the subject at hand but it is being reported that Osama Bin Laden died in Iran 3 weeks ago. don't know if it is true or not, let's hope it is.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 9 months ago

Here's your segue:

"Speaking of pigs, did ya hear that Osama is dead?"

Where did you hear/read this?

lunacydetector 8 years, 9 months ago

it's most likely bogus, i was wrong about time of death....but here is a link to one story:

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 9 months ago

We should use the fat from those feral pigs, dip all of our military's bullets in them. Then start a worldwide advertising campaign to let the terrorists know what we did. After all, the pigs should not have died in vain. It would surely save some american lives. Thank you, Lynn

Jamesaust 8 years, 9 months ago

As one woman responded to the idea that you'd never see this headline living somewhere like lower Manhattan (NY): "Depends on how you define 'pigs'".

tpatric 8 years, 9 months ago

Apparently that woman has never read the New York Daily News.

skyqueen 8 years, 9 months ago

I can assure you that all the pigs were not gunned down - we spotted a couple a few hundred feet from our back door not long ago...No tusks yet, but the wiry coat is a bit disconcerting. And mushroom season is around the corner!!!!