Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

St. Pat’s celebration set to roll down Mass. St.

March 17, 2006

If you are going downtown today, be sure to wear green.

The 19th annual St. Patrick's Day Parade gets under way at 1 p.m. at South Park. The parade will feature about 100 entries, which will line up and take a route down Massachusetts Street to 501 N. Ninth.

This year's parade grand marshal is Cliff McDonald. The Senior king and queen are Vern and Ila Russell. Alicia Roberts, the 2006 St. Patrick's Day queen, also will reign over the parade.

The parade has raised more than $340,000 for local children's charities during the previous 18 years. Proceeds from this year's parade will benefit Health Care Access, Douglas County 4-H Afterschool Programs and Douglas County Friends of Children in Foster Care.

Comments

crazy 8 years, 9 months ago

Why do they schedule the parade during school hours? I'm sure there is some good reason.

billybeanbag 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey, Ragingbear?

For some people, it's just another source of positive energy. Why be such a downer about it?

OKjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

Nowhere else is the same, huh Newport?

Newport 8 years, 9 months ago

Ha! OKjayhawk...I'm counting down the days until I move back...2 years and counting LOL

Ragingbear 8 years, 9 months ago

Ah. St. Patrick's Day. A Catholic Saint somehow followed by all. The Clover, used to symbolize the Holy Trinity. He is credited of driving all the snakes from Ireland...

Of course, what you may not know is that St. Patrick did not drive out all the snakes, he supposedly drove out the heathens. In other words, those who refused to convert. And he didn't quite drive them out as ruthlessly murder men, women and children.

How green, leprechauns, and drinking got into the mix is beyond me. But then again, explain the easter bunny.

Drink up, your celebrating mass murder!

Kelly Powell 8 years, 9 months ago

Hey buddy, we celts were notorius headhunters....We never let a little thing like murder get between us and a good time....Hell a good killin was considered "a good time".

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 9 months ago

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you in here. I for one love a good parade and will be taking my little daycare kids downtown to enjoy some fun.

OKjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm sad i won't be able to celebrate St. Patricks Day in Lawrence. I'm now in Norman, OK and there's really not much that goes on here. Oh, how i miss Lawrence! I went to the parade last year, but couldn't drink because i was pregnant. Oh, well, drink a beer at Free State for me guys!!

kidmystic 8 years, 9 months ago

Raginbear, get a history book. Patrick was a rebal in the Catholic Church who was sent to Ireland on the belief that he probably wouldn't make it out alive. I have a hard time seeing how he and his 25 followers (that went with him) were able to slaughter all of the non-converters. In fact, if you want to talk ruthless, look to Patrick's early life. He was kidnapped from his parents at an English port town and taken to Ireland as a slave--where he served for 8 years. He had to escape from the "heathens" before he went back and, as you say, "mass-murder". In fact, this incredible man went back to his captors b/c he felt close to them after 8 years as a SLAVE, and believed he had a better way to live--and if you know anything about Ireland at this time, it would be hard to argue with him.

If you just have to dog on Christianity, stick to the Crusades, or, I don't know...THE FACTS.

Newport 8 years, 9 months ago

I too am celebrating St Pat's day away for the first time. I am here in Wichita and they don't even do anything. I will miss the parade and miss the Red Lyon and Free State.....so drink up for me as well. Enjoy the bagpipers....they were my favorite!

sigh...I miss Lawrence so much

OKjayhawk 8 years, 9 months ago

I'm jealous, it will be longer for my family. My husband and I plan on moving back eventually. We moved to Norman to be closer to family.

Crazy- I can remember asking off of work to go to the parade, is Lawrence not on spring break? Next year i'm asking off of work to drive up for the parade. I know that sounds kinda lame, but to me it's worth it!

YourItalianPrincess 8 years, 9 months ago

Well the parade was fun, the kids had a blast. I always look forward to seeing what the Sandbar comes up with each year. The bride and groom float was awesome, but they now have some great competition from the Slowride Biker Bar. Their float was led by of course bikers on choppers with the float behind. What a great idea using mini choppers.

Its nice to see so many different ideas come out of people for all to enjoy. Have a safe and happy one.

Kylee Manahan 8 years, 9 months ago

I did move back home to Lawrence and am so happy. It took quite a few years, but I did it. YOU CAN GO BACK HOME!, and by the way, I AM Irish.

luv3217 8 years, 9 months ago

I would have loved to have seen the Sandbars wedding cake. They always do an amazing job. Hopefully I will see pictures of the parade. Lawrence is a fun/great town.

Don't forget to cheer on the Jayhawks tonight!