Archive for Tuesday, June 27, 2006

More guns found near downtown bar

June 27, 2006

Lawrence police early Sunday confiscated three guns, including an assault rifle, found in a pickup truck parked in the 700 block of New Hampshire Street.

Three Kansas City-area men were given notices to appear in Municipal Court for having firearms near a drinking establishment.

Shortly before 3 a.m., officers saw a case they thought might contain a firearm in the back of the truck.

They watched as the truck was approached by six men after patrons began leaving Last Call, a nearby dance bar at 729 N.H.

Officers talked to the men and then found an AK-47 assault rifle inside the case. They also found two pistols, a Ruger .45 and a .380-caliber. Two Kansas City, Mo., men, ages 20 and 22, and a 22-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man were issued notices to appear in court.

Police have confiscated several weapons found in vehicles in the same area over the past few months.

Shots were fired inside Last Call a few weeks ago, though nobody was injured.

Comments

Nikki May 8 years, 5 months ago

I think they do this to make the comments not as noticable.

larryvillian 8 years, 5 months ago

unfortunately, i think there will be plenty more articles like this for us to comment on.

dthroat 8 years, 5 months ago

If I remember correctly there is a group that includes Wint Winter that did own it, but it may have just been sold within the last few months. Not sure about that though

larryvillian 8 years, 5 months ago

this is about guns not race. period. don't dilute or twist the issue.

Janet Lowther 8 years, 5 months ago

Weren't these seizures illegal under state law, which pre-empts cities from imposing stricter gun regulations than the state?

Unloaded guns in a case are legal in Kansas regardless of their proximity to a bar. (Well, unless it is inside the bar. . .)

harleycowboy 8 years, 5 months ago

well the as guess goes for all the ones at Hacks hunting store on 23rd street its near a bar an a liquor store so what gives there if ya need to go have your weapon worked on or even going on a hunting trip an need some last minute things from there WOW what a big issue .... it its in a case an unloaded its no harm ITS NOT THE WEAPON THAT KILLS ITS THE ONE BEHIDE THE WEAPON THAT DOES THE KILLING THE WEAPON IS JUST A TOOL.......

cronk 8 years, 5 months ago

Where do you think those guns are now? Could they be headed to Fraternal Order of Police Club out by Lone star Lake ? Is this where the guns from drug raid and illegal search and seizers go ? Are they divided up at the F.O.P Club between officers who are convinced they are FBI Agents ? Will some of them get to ride back to Lawrence in a unmarked car, that will stop at the pawn shop to find them new home's ? OR do you think these guns will end up at the Ceaderhills gun club south of lawrence ? Do you think these guns could have went straight to the officers house's ? Apparently some officers are fed up with all of the illegal searches and harassment going on in the yellow house case.Will the city call for a Investigation before someone gets hurt?

cronk 8 years, 5 months ago

Our origination is setting up a web site where the average person can go to and leave your police stories Good or Bad and the stories will be posted for all to read, and we will have the site set up so a person can pick a state enter a officer's name and be able to pull up information about that officer from news paper articles and or from the posted stories, this way if a officer moves from state to state he or she can still be held accountable for the decision they make or do not make. This kind of web site would be good in helping show different patterns of behavior for officers who have issues. It will be a few weeks before we get the site up and running, in the mean time i would love to start collecting Lawrence police stories please send your stories to bearsden60@msn.com I will add you to my contact list and when the days story go's out you will get a copy if it in your email. If you send in a story please inform me as to if you would like to be added to the mailing list. Please keep in mind we have about 107 police officers on the police dept. and i think only 12% of them have serious issues. This new site is not a Bash all of the police site , we will be collecting information to help show patterns need to show abuse or patterns of being a great officer. If a cop breaks the law or violates your rights please let us know. We are also looking for suggestions about the legal aspect of this idea, and any tips to make it work smooth. Please email me my name is UN and my email address is bearsden60@msn.com Thanks Please tell your buddies about us, make sure they have our email address. bearsden60@msn.com

dthroat 8 years, 5 months ago

Cronk - I really don't know where to start with that first post. What a bunch of * (I can't even say it) Do you really think any of this happens??? If so, you are seriously deluded and maybe smoking some good stuff.

It is probably a bad way to go, but try to think logically. Would the police advertise (in the LJW no less) they took a bunch of guns, then illegally pass them out among themselves????? And have you heard of records of gun transactions at pawn shops?????

As to the second post. While I am sure a lot of people think this might be a good idea, just keep in mind one thing. Just who is checking the truthfullness of any of the stories people send in. Just by following the posts on this board I can spot bizarre stories that probably did not happen. We all know there are some people out there that will make up or embellish a story, and you are going to post that as TRUTH and name officers.

Good luck.

reginafliangie 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I'm with dthroat. How are you going to authenticate the stories you gather for fact or somebody wanting to bash the agency that they are you telling you about. Seems kind of hard to. Just curious.

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 5 months ago

HAte to tell you cronk, the guns are typically destroyed or returned if the charges are dropped and the person is not a felon and can legaly own a gun. They did a story on it inthe past. Only the cool looking guns are saved and put in a diplay for Citizen's Academy or other show case type events. (Been there and saw one) the others are sawed in half and made inoperable ( I inquired once think ing I could get a good deal)

Michael Birch 8 years, 5 months ago

Hiring off-duty police officers to work at the Last Call!

Do really think for a minute Steffles that the LPD wants to have

anything to do with you? The Last Call is going to be

given its last call! You see "we ain't havin this kinda

sh*t going on in our nice little town." Were not going

to stand back and have gang members from Kansas

City coming to Lawrence all because of that damn club

of yours! It only a matter of time as I've always said and I'll say it again!

DHD

AngelKing 8 years, 5 months ago

I have been the victim of unscrupulous police. I was lied to, I was deliberately mislead, and I was denied my rights. I was young and I didn't know any better at the time, and when I realized there had been abuse of power there was nothing I could do about it. They weren't Lawrence Police, and I would like to say I've had nothing but positive experiences with LPD. These days, I don't care about police corruption one way or the other, as long as it never affects me. Something to consider though, is that cops have a lot of power, but they're still just people. Let's say you're a cop, and you screw up. You have the choice of lying and coming out clean, (even if it is an illegal search, it's hard to make an AK-47 in your truck look good) or you own up and take the rap. How many of you would own up? Heavy penalties are entailed, and really, the person who's rights you violated was a criminal anyway, right?

beatrice 8 years, 5 months ago

"Please keep in mind we have about 107 police officers on the police dept. and i think only 12% of them have serious issues."

I guess that means Lawrence has 8.916666667 bad cops. Now, does that mean there is one cop who isn't all bad, or are there are many cops to figure into the equation who are only partially bad? Maybe you could clarify for us, cronk.