More information on Wakarusa Fest '06
The back of Daren Miller's pickup truck was full - barbecue grill, cooler, tent, clothes.
"I really want to see The Flaming Lips," Miller, a 28-year-old computer technician from Wichita said Thursday.
He and a friend had been stuck in Wakarusa Festival traffic along Kansas Highway 10 about a mile north of Clinton State Park on the South Lawrence Trafficway. They had been inching along for an hour and a half. They have another 90 minutes to go.
"It's not so bad," Miller said, gazing at the long line of cars ahead. "Since we've been here, I've probably burned an eighth of a tank of gas. Of course it'd help if I didn't have the air conditioner running, but it's hot."
The temperature at 2 p.m. was 100 degrees.
"It's hot in Kansas, we're not used to this," said Kari Friedman, a photojournalism student at the University of Montana. She and her friends were coming to hear the bands Government Mule and Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons.
"But Kansas has really nice fireflies," said a voice from the back seat. "We don't have fireflies in Montana."
Earlier, Friedman and her friends were stopped by Kansas Highway Patrol officers and asked to show identification. It seemed like a big waste of time, they said.
"We don't have police in Montana, either," said the back seat, prompting a laugh, after which Matthew Emslie, who was driving, chimed in, "We came to see The Police, except, oh, they're not playing."
Wakarusa Traffic Snarl
Ashley, who declined to provide her last name, and two girlfriends - all students at Pellissippi State Technical Community College in Knoxville, Tenn. - didn't mind the long wait in stalled traffic.
"It's just part of it," said Ashley, who was holding an hourglass-shaped drum in her lap. "It was like this at Bonneroo," she said, referring to the giant music festival outside Manchester, Tenn.
"But you know what would be nice?" she said. "Some random Porta Potties."
Wakarusa Festival 2006
More about the Wakarusa Festival
- 6News video: Clean-up crews picking up after weekend festival (06-12-06)
- 6News video: Wakarusa Festival arrests scheduled to appear Friday (06-12-06)
- 6News video: Wakarusa festival winds down (06-11-06)
- 6News video: Heat beats down on Wakarusa (06-09-06)
- 6News video: Businesses benefiting from festival (06-09-06)
- 6News video: Law enforcement keeping eye on illegal substances (06-09-06)
- 6News video: Wakarusa swings into gear (06-08-06)
- 6News video: Traffic snarls grip festival (06-08-06)
- 6News video: Sweep yields drug arrests (06-08-06)
- 6News video: Apartment complex blocked by traffic (06-08-06)
- 6News video: Checklanes check out festival-goers (06-07-06)
- 6News video: Staff, volunteers, vendors prepare for flood of visitors (06-07-06)
- Wakarusa inspections infuriate the ACLU (06-13-06)
- Police activity, arrests increase at Wakarusa (06-13-06)
- Police presence dampened fest, campers say (06-12-06)
- Wakarusa hits high note (06-11-06)
- Norway's Hurra Torpedo plays everything but the kitchen sink (06-11-06)
- Concert creates good vibes for area businesses (06-10-06)
- Logistical problems strike sour note for some (06-10-06)
- Medical personnel see variety of ailments (06-10-06)
- More than Lip service (06-10-06)
- Lawrence drummer adjusts to gig with the Lips (06-10-06)
- Sitar player carves out own La La land in music industry (06-10-06)
- Festival in full gear (06-09-06)
- Delay doesn't dampen spirits (06-09-06)
- Medical tent may curb trips to LMH (06-09-06)
- Youngsters walk through traffic to tae kwon do (06-09-06)
- Women of Wakarusa (06-09-06)
- The Mutaytor brings circus atmosphere to outdoor fest (06-09-06)
- Traffic problems arise at Wakarusa fest (06-08-06)
- Highway patrol drug check greets fans on way to fest (06-08-06)
- State rains on Wakarusa parade (06-08-06)
- Scattered by Hurricane Katrina, band remains intact (06-08-06)
- Walkin' Wakarusa (06-08-06)
- Police checkpoint near Wakarusa causing a stir (06-07-06)
- Partiers take note: Police presence at Wakarusa Fest to double this year (05-04-06)
- Wakarusa Festival 2006 - Day 4
- Wakarusa Festival 2006 - Day 3
- Wakarusa Festival 2006 - Day 2
- Wakarusa Festival 2006 - Day 1
- Wakarausa Festival 2006 - Pre-Fest