Archive for Friday, June 2, 2006

Ryun files for re-election

June 2, 2006

— U.S. Rep. Jim Ryun, a Republican from Lawrence, today filed to seek re-election to a sixth term.

"I represent smaller government, fewer taxes and family values," said Ryun, who gained fame early in life as a record-breaking track star.

More about Rep. Jim Ryun

Ryun, 59, represents the 2nd congressional district, which includes west Lawrence, Topeka, Manhattan and much of southeast Kansas.

At this point, only one other candidate has filed for the race, Democrat Nancy Boyda, who lost to Ryun in 2004.

Ryun said the U.S. was making progress in the war in Iraq and that the top issue among voters is stopping illegal immigration.

"The No. 1 and No. 2 issues are immigration and immigration," he said.

He touted his work in the district, including the decision to return the Army's 1st Infantry Division to Fort Riley.

Comments

holygrailale 7 years, 10 months ago

Arminius:

Pick up this week's TIME. Haditha is the cover story.

======

America used to be about being "the good guys".

Now we have a White House that has started an illegal war, based upon debunked premises, revealed the identity of it's own secret agent, violated it's own laws based upon the debunked rationale of the illegal war......

The list goes on and on and on.

======

Denial from partisans like yourself, who have lost sight of America, changes the facts not one iota.

Your uncritical and unobjective support of the actions of a dry drunk in the White House only contributes to America's fall.

You are the stupid American.

What you don't want to accept, you ignore.

That manoeuvre goes only so far and has a limited demographic before which it is successful.

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

holygrailails:

"Maybe, in your mind, it never happened. There is so much that occurs in your mind that doesn't happen anywhere else."

If you have proof that it happened, present it here. If you have no proof, then how about we allow for an investigation, trials, and convictions before we condemn our troops. That is, after all, the American Way. I realize you fascists would rather forgo all of that and hang our troops now, but that's not our system.

scorned 7 years, 10 months ago

Nancy for Congress PO Box 1474 Topeka, KS 66601-1474

Campaign Office: 510 SW 10th St. Topeka, KS 66612

nancyforcongress.com

VOLUNTEER!

holygrailale 7 years, 10 months ago

HI, Kevin.

Still more "out there" than usual, I see.

======

I never knew that you, a George W. Bush supporter, could be so behind the killing of innocents by US troops during an illegal war.

======

So what time of the day is Rush Limbaugh, the Oxycontin addict, on the air???

Thanks for revealing to us that you never miss a second of the Rush Limbaugh, the Oxycontin addict show.

We suspected as much.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 10 months ago

true it is. I just wanted to clarify that you and scott3460 where not who I meant for and I do realize dishonest would have been a much better statement. And

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

"....and the "liar" was not directed at you,"

It's still name-calling, regardless of the target.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 10 months ago

and the "liar" was not directed at you, was just pointing out that both sides tend to embelish on all sorts of issues. I am for or against either opinion. and as for knowing each other you sound like siblings really that is how my children act when they disagree. Thank god most are" grown" and moved out i no longer have to be the ref. which I am not trying to do with you so please go back at it.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 10 months ago

ok dishonest but liars is alot nicer than you guys, sounds like you know each other.

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

"NEWS FLASH both parties are liars." - mommaeffortx2

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

scott3460:

Why have a trial if you're going to convict them beforehand? What do you moonbats have against the presumption of innocence? Our whole justice system is based on that.

You're probably one of those sissies who never had the balls to serve.

scott3460 7 years, 10 months ago

Arminius:

I was going to take the time to re-explain the error of your thought, but screw you, you're not worth the effort. I hope that you will have the balls to come on these boards and admit how evil and wrong these Marines were when it is all established at the trial.

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

observer:

What's your problem? Eat a lot of lead-based paint as a child?

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

scott3460:

So you're going to judge that the Marines are guilty even before there is an investigation and a trial? That makes you a dumbass who is ignorant concerning our system of justice. You're probably one of those nutcases who believes the douchebag Leonard Peltier is innocent after he has had his day in court, yet want to convict our Marines (who protect your freedoms) even before the evidence has been presented.

BTW, dumbass, Rush has spent very little time on this issue.

scott3460 7 years, 10 months ago

Arminius:

Quit your right-wing nut spinning and open your eyes. You don't have to believe and parrot everything Rush says, you know. The U.S. Marine Corp has conducted a formal investigation of the Haditha incident and has determined that Marines involved in the incident gave a false report of what took place and that certain Marines murdered innocent women and children in cold blood. Are you alleging that the Marine Corp probe is innaccurate?

Also, presumption of innocence is what the Marines are entitled to in a court. There is nothing that says I am required to close my eyes to mounting evidence and withhold judgment until a court has ruled on the matter. I can evaluate for myself and draw my own opinion so you and the rest of the right wing propaganda machine can quit telling me that I should presume innocence until this matter is decided by a court (at which point the propagandists will turn on a dime and proclaim, justice has been served, no more need to talk about the issue, etc...)

Finally, and most importantly, my point was what a moron Ryun is to come out and proclaim that all is wonderful in Iraq during the very week that these war crimes were all over the news and Iraqis of all stripes are howling for the Americans to leave. The guilt or innocence of the individual Marines is beside the point. He is a fool to purport to tell us how wonderful things are when it is so evidently untrue. As your fine President has proven time and time again during his rule of error, saying something is so, does not make it so.

The_Twelve 7 years, 10 months ago

I had a chance to see those "family values" in action during a honk and wave on Sixth...They're no better than any normal family and even a bit "non-Christian" in their approach to others.

Hear that, Jimmy?

BrianR 7 years, 10 months ago

Observer, Kevin isn't dumb just misguided.

i_tching 7 years, 10 months ago

"Family values" is just wingnut code for stupid and doomed anti-gay legislative decoys. Here's how they play that game:

Float a contitutional amendment to "protect marriage" by denying equal rights to a politically weak minority group. This is DOOMED TO FAIL, so then the rubes can say "we're victims!" because their blatently un-Contitutional hate legislation went down the tubes where it belongs.

In wingnut world, lose-lose really comes out to win-win. Get the hicks all wired up about gays and then pass another tax cut for Paris Hilton and Tom Cruise. Works every time.

observer 7 years, 10 months ago

Kevin, are you really as dumb as you appear? Apparently the marines lost it. It happens, doesn't mean they walk. Agree let justice system work, something average right winger has problem with.

and again

Answer the question.

Are you ever going to get a life and stop obsessing over Clinton?

Yes or no?

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

scott3460:

"That this fool would state this during the week in which the criminal and shameful atrocities of some of our U.S. Marines have come to light is shocking."

Dumbass, ever hear of the presumption of innocence?

scott3460 7 years, 10 months ago

Lynn:

With all due respect, your posts above have me greatly confused. As I understand you, you are very down on the Lawrence city government for taking away people's "rights" vis-a-vis the cell phone ban that has been in the news. But you are wholly supportive of "President" Bush's taking away of your Constitutional rights because you believe such actions protect you from the evil terrorists. Those positions seem contradictory to me. Perhaps you could explain why the acts of the one government to protect you from a distracted cell-phone driver is a bad governmental abuse, but the violation of the strict language of the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution by the occupants of the federal government is acceptable. I mean, other than the fact that one act is conducted by individuals of a political party that you do not agree with.

Also, do you think it more likely, in the living of your daily life, that you will be harmed by a terrorist, or that you will be harmed by a distracted driver using a cell phone? To me the threat of being hit by a bad driver is much more real, and I more willing to give up the ability to drive around while talking on the phone for protection against that risk than I am to give up more substantial Consitutional rights in exchange for protection from a remote risk.

Also, isn't driving a privilege granted by the State? I really don't have any right to drive on the public roadways unless I agree to abide by the government's requirements. A cell phone ban seems fairly reasonable to me. When driving several tons of metal and steel at high speeds, it is probably a better idea to be focused on driving & not on a phone call.

scott3460 7 years, 10 months ago

"Ryun said the U.S. was making progress in the war in Iraq"

That this fool would state this during the week in which the criminal and shameful atrocities of some of our U.S. Marines have come to light is shocking. Does he not understand the monumental setback that the apparently substantiated allegations of cold-blooded murder of women and children (for God's sake, CHILDREN!) represent to the effort in Iraq and to the opinion of the rest of the world?

No, Mr. Ryun's happy-talk to the contrary, this is yet another week in which yet another of Bush's failings has come to light. Sad to say, it is probably not the last such week.

We shall see what the elections bring. I'll be voting a straight ticket for the first time in my life. No one with an (R) beside their name has earned my vote and most incumbents will be missing my vote this time as well. A bloody sweep of all of the criminals would be a great message to deliver.

Pilgrim 7 years, 10 months ago

Just quietly waiting for election night when the results are tallied and all those liberal heads start exploding again. Fourth of July in November.

Lynn731 7 years, 10 months ago

P.S. I'm finished for tonite, hope you all have a pleasant evening. Thank you, Lynn

Lynn731 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't live in Lawrence, so I won't be affected by the cell phone ban. I just don't see how people that do can live with the city government continuously taking their rights away. I can't understand why the citizens of Lawrence don't stand up and fight when this is happening. Obviously the statement about lack of gonads wasn't correct as there are many women affected by this as well. I enjoy the exchange of ideas and differing viewpoints. I ask that we be pleasant to each other, which you showed very well, Azure, in your response to what I said. I do appreciate that. I recognize that some people have a differing viewpoint of President Bush and Jim Ryun than I do. I support everyone's right to have their own opinion. I apologize that what I said was construed as being rude, and I will be more careful in the future. I do not wish to purposely offend anyone. Just as we are all guilty of from time to time, I got carried away with expressing my opinion. What you see as the President eroding the constitution and taking away liberties, I see as protecting us against terrorism. So far, knock on wood, we haven't been attacked again. I like to think this is because of the increased intelligence derived from the wiretapping of phones looking for certain phrases and words which are being checked by a computer. That's what is so great about America, everyone can have their own opinion, and discuss it openly. Thank you, Lynn

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 10 months ago

Azure: Thank you. You plainly said what I would say to Lynn.

And really, Lynn . . . with the problems in the world we're facing and your're upset that you can't speak on your cell phone while driving? A great example of tunnel vision, priorities, and "values."

observer 7 years, 10 months ago

Kevin, simple answer. Bush wanted to get Saddam. After all, he threatened Daddy. That's all the reason the idiot decider needed. Sadder still is people like you still defend hin and in your case try to blame Bill. And again as you like to do.

Answer the question.

Are you ever going to get a life and stop obsessing over Clinton?

Yes or no?

Farmboy 7 years, 10 months ago

Trivia: Ryun was congressman who approved sale of that 50 caliber rifle, the most powerful personal weapon in the world, to everyone in the world. Said the NRA approved. Now, when our troops are the targets of this weapon, where is our Congressman.

Making money to buy bigger houses.

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

Azure_Attitude:

"Bush and Co. ignored warnings about 9/11...."

Please share with us a specific warning that was ignored. Do you have anything that would be on par with warnings that Madeleine Albright received concerning the vulnerability of our embassy in Nairobi?

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

spym00se:

"I'm one of you," Gephardt said. "My dad was a Teamster truck driver. I'm going to have three goals as president: jobs, jobs, jobs."

Do you believe Gephardt is retarded? http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/16/elec04.prez.gephardt.jobs.reut/

spym00se 7 years, 10 months ago

"Immigration and immigration"?

Is he retarded?

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 10 months ago

Lynn, I am sure Flames is capable of defending himself, but I must say that telling someone they don't have any cajones is not nice or pleasant. You've offered a beautiful demonstration of hypocrisy, well two actually: Not only were you not nice or pleasant in your words but you completely ingnored how the Republicans have erroded civil liberties and are undermining the Constitution. Please, don't be a hypocrit. Furthermore, don't assume that everyone that doesn't like Ryun is a liberal. Moderates everywhere are tired of the neocons and that is what Ruyn needs to be worried about. It's the folks in the middle that truly decide and to ignore that is a huge mistake.

Lynn731 7 years, 10 months ago

That isn't very nice. I don't tell anyone on here to shut up. I happen to like my Razr phone, too. Liberals, conservatives, and people of differing opinions can and should still be pleasant to one another. You hurt my feelings. Thank you, Lynn

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 10 months ago

Bush and Co. ignored warnings about 9/11, got us in to a war with suprious evidence, commited treason by outting a CIA OP, sanctioned torture, sat on his hands while Katrina victims languished in the Gulf Coast, starts programs that spy on US citizens, and all the rest doesn't bother you and you are pissed off because you can't use your cell phone while driving? ROFLMAO! Unbelievable!!

People are leaving your party so as not to be associated with such idocy. Who can blame them. You all go ahead and keep on keepin' on.

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 10 months ago

Lynn, Hang up, shut up, and drive. Screw your phone.

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 10 months ago

How junior high of you. The way he and Bush have driven our country down the tubes is no laughing matter. Well, Mr. Informed, if the election were held today the tables would be turned and you all would be left whining just as bad as you were before Shrub took office. Now THAT was some whining!

Lynn731 7 years, 10 months ago

I have been well pleased with the job Jim Ryun has done for me. I don't expect all you liberals to agree, but then I'll be driving along talking on my cell and I can't call you in your car and discuss it . Why? Because your gonads are gone and you're letting your fellow liberals in Lawrence government take more and more of your rights away. Oh well, how sad for you. Jim Ryun has done an outstanding job and I'll vote for him again. Thank you, Lynn

drake 7 years, 10 months ago

I am very informed and will be the one with the last laugh when I'm watching the exit polls on Fox News and they project Jim's victory. I will also enjoy reading your whiney posts the next day when Nan is sent back home yet again.

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 10 months ago

Fox is fair and balanced in the same way Saddam's elections were fair and balanced. You are the one who needs to get informed and you won't get that way watching Fox and Bill O'Schmuckly. The people you say that can now pass along their hard earned life's work always could. The limits were raised specifically to include the wealthy. Get off the couch and you might actually learn something.

drake 7 years, 10 months ago

Thanks to Jim's leadership, families now have a $1000 per child tax credit, marriage tax penalty relief, and lower marginal tax rates. Family farms and small businesses will be able to pass on their hard-earned life's work from one generation to another with legislation that phases out the death tax. I think that these examples constitute caring for Kansas families. As it turns out Azure Attitude should watch Fox News more often. Fair and Balanced.

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 10 months ago

Demonstrate what? That we are tired of politicians using emotional hot buttons to win electrons and then do nothing meaningful to assist those they serve? Exactly what do you mean?

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

yourworstnightmare:

"Whether one agrees with Ryun's rhetoric or not, by any objective standard Ryun has been a do-nothing seat warmer in the congress."

If you really believe that, and believe that that is a reason to not send him back to Washington, then you REALLY must want to see Dennis Moore voted out. Moore ranks down there with Emanuel Cleaver as one of the least effective representatives.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 10 months ago

Whether one agrees with Ryun's rhetoric or not, by any objective standard Ryun has been a do-nothing seat warmer in the congress. What bills has he sponsored? What issues has he taken taken the lead on? He is quick to jump on every nutty right-wing bandwagon that comes down the pike (e.g. his stated #2 and #3 priorities), but he is absolutely devoid of leadership or action of any kind.

I would like someone to explain to me what Ryun means when he says he represents "family values"? The Addams family? The Manson family? The Waltons?

My suspicion is that family values means cutting aid for the least among us, supporting an optional war that is resulting in deaths of young americans and innocent Iraqis, and letting corporations have carte blanche with the little tax revenue the government still collects (no-bid contracts in Iraq, oil subsidies).

I guess Ryun should support growing larger and larger familes to feed the war machine that he supports. We will need all of those youngsters as meat on the battlefield.

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 10 months ago

"moonbats"? What does this have to do with Clinton?!

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 10 months ago

Is there no predictability in "kansas," "mom" (nicely infused into one word), and "family values"?

As Azure Attitude makes clear, he couldn't give a rat's behind about your family, kansasmom.

Arminius 7 years, 10 months ago

The moonbats above demonstrate why Ryun should and will win another term.

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, Mom, why do think he really means what he says? His actions do not support his rhetoric at all. The idea of "Family Values" is competely abstract and subjective and completely disingenuous! What do YOU think it means? What has he done to support American families? Nothing!!! He and others like him could give a rats @$$ about my family and not likly yours either. They follow the money. Plain and simple. Only rectally asphyxiated fools, like macon, drake, and 75x55 treat that rhetoric as believable. Please, get informed and that doesn't mean Faux News.

He almost didn't win last time, and I hope nancy get's him this time!

moderator 7 years, 10 months ago

Time to vote out the theocrats!

BrianR 7 years, 10 months ago

"time to get this idiot out." --observer

I'll second that.

75x55 7 years, 10 months ago

"Why in the world would you guys not want someone who has and wants to promote "family values"."

Socialists and anarchist types that want no standards or moral limits - thus ensuring the ultimate destruction of the evil capitalist system that is oppressing the world, and opening the way for their own ruling elites to oppress the world in futile attempt to create a human paradise on earth, populated by the New Man.

Or, at the very least, so the leftists can be the ones in charge, reminding us how lucky we are that they are 'taking care of us'.

drake 7 years, 10 months ago

Hopefully Jim doesn't gauge his support by reading this website. I can assure all of you whiners that Jim will win his 6th term and continue to vote the wishes of the "vast majority" of Americans. Luckily all of you who continue to trash him and our President will never accomplish anything besides making fools of yourselves. Jim is a fine upstanding man who will protect you even if you are too ignorant to do it yourselves.

kansasmom 7 years, 10 months ago

i_tching 7 years, 10 months ago

macon47, Kansans can get losers like Ryun OUT and put in a representative that will make a little noise, instead of quietly towing the neocon line.

Go Nancy. Beat this guy. He's old and slow now, especially carrying that big nasty "family values" wooden cross on his back all the time.

macon47 7 years, 10 months ago

midwest us reps have so little impact in washington it really doesnt make any difference who is in there . no one really cares about 2.75 milliion kansasans we are an ultra minority

Centrist 7 years, 10 months ago

I guess gas prices don't matter. I guess crap schools don't matter. I guess bad roads don't matter. I guess health "care" doesn't matter.

F the NeoCons. But F the Democrats too.

None of them have a grip on the LIVES we are living out here ...

NONE of them ..

observer 7 years, 10 months ago

james, nice summation of ryan platform

Jamesaust 7 years, 10 months ago

'"I represent smaller government, fewer taxes and family values," said Ryun.'

Well, I guess 0 out of 3 isn't all that bad.

I believe the honest answer was:

Ryun says -- 1. No government for those who don't vote GOP and massive taxpayer subsidies for everyone else (why is it "welfare" when you pay a young, poor, non-white, female to not work but an "ag subsidy" when you pay an old, rich, white, male farmer to not work?);

1. Pay no attention to the inevitable George W. Bush Memorial Revenue Act of 2009 necessary to stop the dumping of U.S. Treasuries by our creditor slavemasters once they figure out what Alan Greenspan already knows - "As a nation, we may have already made promises to coming generations of retirees that we will be unable to fulfill" - and conclude the U.S.'s debts are infinite: http://www.gao.gov/cghome/whitehousewalker1205/img5.html

2. Intolerant stigmatizing some families is necessary to put a halo around the heads of "good" families so that the angels know who to snatch during the Rapture. How else are the Christian paramilitaries going to spot and gun down the Catholics, Methodists, Buddhists, and lesbians who refuse to convert to the one-true-God, just like in the videogame "Left Behind: Eternal Forces" (I wish I was kidding): http://www.leftbehindgames.com/

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

He's deaf. Or close to deaf. But... he can hear money.

prospector 7 years, 10 months ago

He only listens if there is a check attached.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 10 months ago

Good luck, Mr. Ryan. I said, GOOD LUCK. GOOOODDDDDLUUCKKKKKK. Can you hear me? No, not Go Duck... GOOODD LUUUCKKKKKKKK.

Mike Blur 7 years, 10 months ago

Go Nancy! Jimbo has had his run. In ten years, the only thing I remember Jimbo for is that someone washed his feet on the House floor. His tired neocon rhetoric has played itself out.

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 10 months ago

Ahh, "family values," the key word. Of course. No mention of global issues that truly affect the well-being and happiness of America and the world. As long as he doesn't receive a BJ in office, and rile the indignation of "moral" Americans, he should do well . . .

rhd99 7 years, 10 months ago

Boyda Boyda! Bye BYE, JIM! You're time is UP! So long, RYUN!

prospector 7 years, 10 months ago

"I represent smaller government, fewer taxes and family values," said Ryun

"The No. 1 and No. 2 issues are immigration and immigration," he said.

How is this smaller government????

They left under his watch too!

Maybe I would understand it if he were speaking in tongues as he is known to do!

mefirst 7 years, 10 months ago

Sixth term? And his highest priority is immigration. It's amazing how someone working toward their 6th term in office could be so incredibly removed from the REAL issues. How 'bout healthcare, Jim? How 'bout education? How 'bout REAL family values? It's all just political rhetoric to you.