Archive for Friday, June 2, 2006

Error will affect school official’s DUI case

June 2, 2006

The omission of a deputy's signature on a form during the DUI arrest of a Lawrence High School assistant principal was a clerical error, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.

The error means the state can't suspend assistant principal Jan Gentry's license pending the outcome of her criminal case, but she still could have it suspended if she is convicted of DUI.

Spokeswoman Lt. Kari Wempe said Thursday that supervisors at the sheriff's department have "reaffirmed with the officers that every report and form must be fully and accurately completed."

"Errors do happen, and when they're brought to our attention, we make sure everyone learns that lesson and we move forward," she said.

Wempe said she could not discuss whether any action was taken against the deputy who failed to sign the form because it was a personnel matter.

In Gentry's DUI arrest last month, the deputy failed to sign a piece of administrative paperwork that went to the Division of Motor Vehicles documenting Gentry's failure of a chemical test. Had the form been completed properly, the agency could have suspended Gentry's license for 30 days, starting 30 days after the incident, followed by a 330-day restricted driving period.

The same suspension period would apply if Gentry is convicted of DUI. She is scheduled to have a first appearance Monday in Douglas County District Court.

State law calls for a 30-day suspension for a DUI conviction, with credit given for any time they've already had their license suspended by the state DMV.

In many cases, however, first-time DUI offenders are allowed to enter a diversion program, according to District Court records. That means prosecutors agree to drop charges if they meet a set of conditions and stay out of trouble.

Gentry, 53, was arrested at 10:19 p.m. May 20 on U.S. Highway 56 about one-quarter mile from the Osage County line after a deputy stopped her for a lane violation. She was taken to the Douglas County Jail and later released on $250 bond.

Gentry said in an interview earlier this week that she did not know the arresting officer, identified by the sheriff's office as Bryon Revell.

The form that's sent to the state after a DUI arrest must be filled out at the time the deputy makes the arrest and is given to the arrested party, Wempe said. Only afterward is the form reviewed by supervisors, she said.

"When the paperwork comes through, if the signature isn't there : we can't go back and add it," she said. "We've all learned from this particular situation."

- Staff writer Dave Ranney contributed to this report.

Comments

parsimoniousjayhawker 8 years, 6 months ago

The error is just that.... an administrative error. If Gentry is convicted of the offense, her license is still suspended for the thirty day period despite the deputy's omission of his signature.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 6 months ago

Marion, you are as humble and modest as always. Not only do you try and rub your being right in the face of those that disagreed with you, but then when you don't get a counterresponse, you do it again...for about five minutes. Grow up, plumber boy.

GardenMomma 8 years, 6 months ago

You forgot "Thinker than she drunk she was."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 6 months ago

I doubt that there is any real hope for you, Marion, but please seek help. Miracles do occasionally happen.

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

mefirst 8 years, 6 months ago

Gee Marion, being "right all along" must not happen for you very often.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

paladin: "We must suffer fools gladly, because there's at least one that we can never escape."

Amen!

Marion:

I think the biggest point people were making the other day is that you meddled! Not that you weren't right with the facts. At least that's where I remember the emphasis being. No matter what the article says and what the facts are, you still meddled. Ain't no changing that!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

Posted by Marion (Marion Lynn) on May 31, 2006 at 12:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

swbsow:

I suspect that everyone involved in this case will be on thier toes from this point on.

There is just too much publicity on the matter now for it to be swept under the carpet.

Yes, I do think that Ms. Gentry is well known enough for the cop to have "forgotten" to complete the form.

On the other hand she may well have told the officer of her position and "status".

The officer may have made an honest mistake in failing to complete the form.

No matter; the form can be re-certififed and Driver Control is now aware of the case and will be watching it closely.

I suspect that "diversion" will not be an option and even with "diversion", driving restrictions still appy, I believe.

Thanks.

Marion.

Well Marion, you said it yourself that "Driver Control" is now aware of the case and will be watching it closely". If you are trying to elude that they are now aware because of the general publicity then I don't believe you. According to the posts here at LJW, you were the only one to call Driver Control and ask about such a case since you were so eager to stick your nose into things. And now all of a sudden Driver Control is aware of the case? Was there a previous or subsequent article that specifically stated that Driver Control knows about the case, or are you speculating that they do, or are they now aware because you called? I'm guessing the latter of the three explanations is the correct one.

Do you have short term memory loss? Do you not recall any of the other posts from 5/31 that said you over stepped your bounds by calling? Did you borrow those blinders from the Budweiser Clydesdales?

Marion:

By the way, it was sort of tacky (but enlightening) for you to turn my post around for your benefit. I claimed that you meddled, not that you didn't know what you were talking about regarding the signature thing. And I also didn't say anything about whether you or LJW posted correct information first. But hey, if you need to build yourself up...

Go back and read the post history from the other day and compare how many times people said you meddled versus how many times people argues that your facts were incorrect. Get back to me only if you find out that their main point was the validity of your facts over meddling. It was nice knowing you.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

Actually, it's not a good thing when people start policing on their own initiative because they have an obvious chip on their shoulder for whatever reason. I don't know Marion except for what I read here, but a large percentage of his posts are angry, accusatory and self-indulgent.

I value others opinions, but only when they are constructive and not laced with spite toward the general public.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

Well, you're probably right that you can't really tell what someone is like while on the Net, but otherwise it's a little too philosophical. Sometimes it is what it is. Since Marion rarely comes back with alterations to his original words when they are called out, I have to assume he meant what he said and that it is a representation of him. If Marion isn't coming across like what he really is or intends, maybe it is in his best interest to edit his posts for tone and effect before submitting them. Otherwise, let loose the beast...

justsomewench 8 years, 6 months ago

If there's a potential grave to be tapdanced on, rest assured that certain folks will always show up with glee. Negativity as hobby.

Personally, my own plate's too full to have the energy to expend on taking everyone else's inventory. But that's just me.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

That's the funny thing here...as you stated earlier, intent of messages and personal graces are often difficult to interpret on the Net. Therefore, if someone feels that they have valuable input on a topic here they should take extra precautions to ensure their point of view is adequately voiced. As I stated in my last post, the fact that Marion typically doesn't back down when he is challenged leads me to believe his message was taken as intended.

Marion disagreed with the fact that Gentry still has her drivers license and then he meddled. Please be consistent and inform him that he should have simply voiced his opinion and agreed to disagree and that he went too far.

If he can indicate that he was not the initial source of information to Driver Control and didn't intice them into reviewing the situation, I won't have the right to say he meddled. But for now, he meddled and that sucks.

justsomewench 8 years, 6 months ago

i recall seeing it used in the forums recently and found it applicable in this case. so much for scandal.

sorry, marion, nothing to slander here.

thanks.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

Well, finally the cards are all face up. It's like pulling friggin' teeth sometimes. A combination of public information and narking led to the full disclosure of one deputies slip up and therefore adds to the scrutiny of the Gentry case. However slight, it adds.

I've been asked to do two things here today. First, to remember that things aren't always as they appear or come across in these posts. I agree and ask that you all take that to heart when constructing your inputs and I will do the same. Second, I was asked to agree to disagree. Well, sometimes you can't. Sometimes that allows for people to say things that are not necessarily true and get away with posting it as such. I don't agree when someone starts arguing a point that I didn't make (like that Marion posted info before LJW), but now that we're in agreement that someone made efforts to expose a situation totally outside the realm of one's business, I will agree to disagree that said person meddled.

But my opinion remains that this was meddling and I don't respect that. God forbid someone see Marion roll through a stop sign or jaywalk or use his cell while driving. Citizen's arrest!

enforcer:

You say mindless because you disagree...but I was right. Be mindFUL of that.

justsomewench 8 years, 6 months ago

i will say, that the 12 step programs are amazing resources. they have saved the lives of people i love dearly. some i've loved have not been so fortunate.

if i am supposed to believe there is shame in knowing what purpose they serve, i'm afraid i'll have to agree to disagree, too. sorry to disappoint.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

You are a noble man Marion. None so noble as the informants, the snitches, the narks, the spies, the stoolies...the meddlers.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

After all of your posturing (read: jibber jabber) you have convinced me that you should indeed be compared to the likeness of MLK himself.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't argue that what Gentry did was wrong on many levels. I can not speak for her lifestyle or if she has problems with dependency. But it is in no way Marions place to step in and be her salvation by doing this. Those people that have the right to do so are the authorities, the court system, the education system and family and friends. If there were a public vote to get Gentry out of her position or a vote to decide what her punishment should be in general, then step up and voice your opinion. But that's not the case. The situation is like a bicycle riding through the streets of the court system (I know, corny), and Marion is trying to throw a stick in the spokes or be a speed bump on the ground.

What did he find out - that despite the error by the deputy, once she is convicted (which she will be) she will have her license suspended despite the initial error. The suspension may be delayed until she goes to court, but they will tack that time onto the end so the suspension time equals what it should. She's not getting away with anything.

It's not Marion's place, it's not noble, and it's simply acting out of spite to punish someone. You cannot tell me his intentions were just in this. "I am a saint and I won't let this women defeat herself with alcohol." Yeah, right! More like "Hell no, she's not getting away with that because I wouldn't be able to!"

Linda Aikins 8 years, 6 months ago

I don't think Marion has that much power, to be honest with you. And I believe he actually called them about as much as I believe he carouses in Westport, and is successful.

Thank you.

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practise to deceive!" -Sir Walter Scott

"False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil." -Plato

"A liar should have a good memory." -Quintilian

"The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance, and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives." -Albert Einstein

The Wolves Within An old Grandfather said to his grandson, who came to him with anger at a friend who had done him an injustice... "Let me tell you a story." "I too, at times, have felt great hate for those who have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It's like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times. " "It is as if there are two wolves inside me; one is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way." "But...the other wolf... ah! The littlest thing will send him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all of the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is helpless anger, for his anger will change nothing." "Sometimes it is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit." The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eyes and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather ?" The Grandfather smiled and quietly said, "The one I feed."

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

THE PRAYER OF ST. FRANCIS

Lord, make me a channel of thy peace,

that where there is hatred, I may bring love;

that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness;

that where there is discord, I may bring harmony;

that where there is error, I may bring truth;

that where there is doubt, I may bring faith;

that where there is despair, I may bring hope;

that where there are shadows, I may bring light;

that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.

Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted;

to understand, than to be understood;

to love, than to be loved.

For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.

It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.

It is by the self dying that one awakens to Eternal Life.

Amen

justsomewench 8 years, 6 months ago

oh, hell with it, paladin...i'll make the popcorn.

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

paladin 8 years, 6 months ago

Maturity is the ability to control anger and settle differences without violence and destruction.

Maturity is perseverance, the ability to sweat out a project or a situation in spite of heavy opposition and discouraging setbacks.

Maturity is the capacity to face unpleasantness and frustration, discomfort and defeat, without complaint or collapse.

Maturity is humility. It is being big enough to say, "I was wrong." And, when you're right, you need not say, "I told you so."

Maturity is the ability to make a decision and follow through. The immature spend their lives exploring endless possibilities and then do nothing.

Maturity means dependability, keeping one's word and coming through in a crisis. The immature are master of the alibi. They are conflicted and disorganized. Their lives are a maze of broken promises, former friends, unfinished business and good intentions that never materialize.

And Maturity is the art of living in peace with what we cannot change, having the courage to change what we know should be changed, and the wisdom to know the difference.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 6 months ago

Hey Marion! Give enforcer the rim job you owe him/her for backing you up on this ridiculous stream of posts and lets move on!

swbsow - thanks for keeping your head clear and being the voice of reason.

Marions already f'd this up - let's move on!