Archive for Monday, July 31, 2006

Republicans vie one last time to take on Sebelius

Six hopefuls attempt to distinguish themselves as election draws near

July 31, 2006

— In the final moments before Tuesday's primary, six Republican gubernatorial hopefuls tried to break away from the pack to persuade GOP voters to give them the chance to take on Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, a Democrat.

State Sen. Jim Barnett of Emporia noted that he had the most campaign funds, author and consultant Ken Canfield of Overland Park said he provided the freshest face in the campaign and Robin Jennison, a former House speaker from Healy, said he and his lieutenant governor running mate, state Sen. Dennis Wilson of Overland Park, had the most legislative experience and most diverse geographic background.

Former legislator and attorney Rex Crowell of Longton said he was the most "moderate" Republican in the bunch, while attorney Tim Pickell of Westwood said he could unite the different wings of the GOP.

Dennis Hawver, an attorney from Ozawkie, said he wanted the election to be a referendum on the war in Iraq, which he opposes.

The candidates answered questions during a one-hour forum on KPTS-TV in Wichita that was broadcast statewide on public television.

While they bashed Sebelius and generally agreed on most issues, the candidates differed on two major subjects: gambling and school finance.

Barnett and Canfield said they would oppose any expansion of casino gambling.

"It's a curse," Barnett said of gambling.

Canfield suggested that it might be a good idea to consider doing away with the state lottery.

Crowell said he would support casinos if approved by voters in the area where a casino would be, and Jennison, a former lobbyist for gambling interests, said the state is losing revenue that Kansans are spending at venues in Missouri and Oklahoma.

Pickell said he would allow a casino at The Woodlands horse and dog track in Kansas City and Hawver said the government should have no say in limiting casinos.

On school finance, Barnett said the three-year, $466 million funding plan approved Friday by the Kansas Supreme Court will lead to a tax increase. But Canfield, whose running mate, Rep. Kathe Decker of Clay Center, helped craft the finance bill, said he supported the measure.

Several candidates blasted the court for requiring lawmakers to increase school funding, but Crowell and Pickell defended the court.

"The court had no choice. The Legislature is charged with providing an adequate education and they weren't doing it," Crowell said.

Comments

laughingatallofu 8 years, 8 months ago

What a bunch of yahoos! That's all I can say.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 8 months ago

She will win again because the Republicans put up some real losers as they did last time. I won't be voting for any of them.

Baille 8 years, 8 months ago

What if you just want to put your left foot in and shake it all about?

Hillary?

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 8 months ago

Yeah she balanced her budgets, but the schools nearly went bankrupt under her budgets.

She is no friend of education, and that is what is important to me.

She has to go.

tlitwiller 8 years, 8 months ago

Sebelius couldn't even handle the whole "intelligent design" thing. Sorry to bring THAT up again, but seriously...it's mythology! I swear to xenu and osiris!

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 8 months ago

What a collections of insipid yahoos running for governor on the republican side. They range from the lightweight to the outright embarrassing.

FOUR MORE YEARS! FOUR MORE YEARS!

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 8 months ago

I hope Hawver wins. I want to see him wearing his "Colonial Williamsburg" outfit in the campaign as he did in the debate on KPTS. It makes him look like a grandmother, or like Barbara Bush, or like the Quaker Oats dude.

Baille 8 years, 8 months ago

And the "Republican" party is a friend of education? Not the current fundie incarnation, it isn't. And the "moderate" side of the duplex is just a shill to big business. No great friend of education there either. Republican are behind the push to make science courses religion courses and to privatize public education with the voucher system.

Before you get "her" out, I would recommend you find someone better to replace her.

MWIV 8 years, 8 months ago

yourworstnightmare - the wealthy get the most tax cut because they are the ones that pay the most. Let's see, I guess that is a problem with you. I don't think it makes any difference how much money one makes, when the government takes as much as 50% of your income, I would hope you would cry too? If you won't, I guess you deserve what you get.

MWIV 8 years, 8 months ago

If you want to spend more $, then vote the D = "dollars" - If you want to keep some of your own money then vote R = "restraint" It's the money, stupid! It's yours and if you want to keep giving it away, I'll take it!

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 8 months ago

MWIV,

"R = "restraint""? Give me a break. It may or may not be true that the Rs take less of your money, but that sure doesn't stop them from spending it. The deficits under the current republican regime are larger than ever, and it is the ultra-wealthy who are receiving the most in tax cuts.

christie 8 years, 8 months ago

If you want to move Forward put your car in (D)emocrat. If you want to move Backwards put your car in (R)epublican.

MWIV 8 years, 8 months ago

Your choice, asbestos. She hasn't done a darn thing since being elected. With that record, there is no doubt in my mine that she will be relected too. I tend to agree with SOME of your comment about the last guy the Republicans put up, but I am not sure what you mean by "some real losers". Can you be specific? What makes a person a loser? Someone who doesn't agree with you?

Porter 8 years, 8 months ago

Let's see, what HAS Gov. Sebelius done for us?

1) Her administration identified nearly $1 billion in savings and efficiencies. (How's this for a "Liberal") 2) She balanced all four of her budgets 3) State revenues are up 13.3% over last year's revenues 4) Pushed HARD for increased education funding 5) She chairs the National Ethanol Coalition 6) Ethanol production in our state has increased 600% in the last year

I'm sure she did more, but you get the point.

MWIV 8 years, 8 months ago

You know, to some degree I agree with you, asbestos! There is no reason for govt to provide a service when the private sector is fit, willing and able to do so. However, I think that Kansas, by it's very natural state, is not a place that young poeple want to live. We don't have beaches, mountains or a warm winter. Would you really like to stay on the family farm when given the opportunity to live elsewhere? Where you and I agree is that we need to give an incentive for the young to stay.

Please give me a break when you (Porter) say that "she" balanced the budget. That is required by law. State revenues are up due to the Federal tax cuts, nothing more. Show me a program that she sponsored that improved the economy? We also need to be careful about ethanol production. As much as I want to see something else change our addiction to oil, if we switched to ethanol, you and I would be paying more for our food. The food industry would be competing with the ethanol folks for the same thing, corn and/or soybeans. Identifying a savings and doing something about it are two different things. Rather increasing ethanol production, I want to see someone figure a way that our cars can run on sea water. It covers 7/10 of the earth's surface. Sorry, I still don't think Kathleen has really done much. That is why she will win. That is the only controversy over that gal. I saw here in action before she even run for insurance commissioner. I wasn't on her page back then. Sorry!

ASBESTOS 8 years, 8 months ago

"Loser" as in they put "personal" issues before State Government Issues.

Jennison is fleecing the State Deer herd and changing regulations to support his outfitting business. This guy is sleazy, and he is the one with the best political credentials. That is what I mean.

Last time they put up TImmy. That is when I as a Republican (like a lot in Kansas) voted for the Democrat. When will the Kansas Republicans learn that their whacked out far right (Connie Morris and her sister on the KBOE) and their ilk get put up for elected office, the reasonible people will vote democrat.

Kansas is a conservative state, true, but it also is not a fundamentalist Christian cabal either. Most Republicans that are true CONERVATIVES know this. WHen those pushing the "cabal vision" for Kansas, voters like me go elsewhere.

Result= the other guy wins!

When will the whackos learn?

MWIV 8 years, 8 months ago

I would still prefer a poor R versus a liberal D. Just what did the D offer you? What has your choice done for the people of Kansas in the last term?

ASBESTOS 8 years, 8 months ago

It kept out the WHACKO's of the "fundamentalists" that want creationism in our science classrooms. I did not like her VETO of the concealed carry, but it was overturned.

She is a small D, not a far left D. THAT is a better choice than a whacked out funamdntalist republican who is NOT a conservative.

THis state has been sold out for years to 3 groups by both parties. The 3 groups are developers, City GOvernments, and the Agricultural Lobby. The result is that the econmoy of Kansas is in the toliet, and the state is loosing our best and brightest because there is no INNOVATION here! It is chased off as everything is prostituted out for the developers, the City Governments, and the Agricultural Industry! Kansas and Kansans are much more than this.

THe small business are competing with KDHE, KDOL, Greenbush, and other state providers of services. THIS is the ONLY state wher the REPUBLICANS want the extension service mentality to expand. There is compitition on every level in my industry: the Environmental Business sector. KDHE, KSU Small Business Assistance Program, Greenbush, et al, all provide services FOR FREE. (Well the taxpayers pay for them.) THAT is what I mean about The extension service mentality. We should close a bunch o these offices state wide and open it up to the small businesses, wealth would be created, opportunity returns, people stay.

That is just what I have seen in my industry, but it is rampant throughout the Kansas economy.

Lots of waste and wasted opportunity.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 8 months ago

Good Job Porter!

I do have a couple of porblems that Kansans have to address though.

"1) Her administration identified nearly $1 billion in savings and efficiencies. (How's this for a "Liberal")"

It is a good start, however I left her a report on her desk about the problems of KDHE, and waste and mismanagement. This is going to come home to roost. (NOTE TO: JASON from LJW staff the "investigators" have finished, and are now in the"recommendations" stage!)

2) She balanced all four of her budgets "3) State revenues are up 13.3% over last year's revenues"

Are revenues up because of the increase of oil prices opening up crude production that was non-existant with $40 barrel oil? Any Gov. sitting in the chair with rising oil prices would se increased revenues from oil.

4) Pushed HARD for increased education funding

"5) She chairs the National Ethanol Coalition 6) Ethanol production in our state has increased 600% in the last year"

This one may come back to haunt Kansas! One thing it takes to produce alcohol is a LOT of WATER! Russel is already having Cedar Bluff opened for flow to supply the city of Russel and the Alcohol Plant. The more of these things we have the greater the water usage. I remember we were talking about the end of the aquifers because of increased irrigation. What is going to happen with this production? Alot of Ethanol is water.

That is why we need straight talking politicians who are focused. There are challanges that are not even dreamed of yet. And most are squabbling over minutia.

Porter 8 years, 8 months ago

Sorry TJ. Gov. S IS a friend of education. Until now, education funding is about the only topic that has pushed me to post on these forums. Gov. S cannot pass legislation for education funding. Only the legislature can do that. She pushed education as tops on her agenda. She held the legislation over into special session until they could come up with something. She even offered suggestions to fix the problem (something her opponents and detractors have failed to do).

The previous arguments against ethanol production are good ones, and I won't debate the two posters who obviously know more about it than I. However, I would like to say that every program benefitting Kansas is going to have a downside (in this case water usage).

Disregarding the education issue, the argument is that all of the positives I mentioned did not happen because of her leadership, initiative, and guidance. Apparently she's done nothing (except prevent increased spending from the legislature). Isn't that what CONSERVATIVES should LOVE? Why is she labeled a liberal? I just don't get it. If anyone should hate her, it's the liberals.

Now the argument is that she's planning on running for a higher office. Again, this means that she is not going to do anything controversial or stupid. I would think a governor that doesn't do anything would be a savior for conservatives.