Archive for Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Gun incident near Last Call brings arrests

July 25, 2006

Lawrence Police arrested two men early Sunday morning after a gun incident linked to Last Call nightclub, 729 N.H.

Police said a 23-year-old man is suspected of threatening a group of 10-12 people with a handgun in a parking lot near the club shortly after the bar's 3 a.m. closing time. The incident may have been linked to a fight inside the bar earlier, according to a report.

As officers on patrol in the area saw the disturbance and approached the area, the 23-year-old, identified as Joseph I. Monegro of Lawrence, and another man, identified as 19-year-old Jair James of Leavenworth, ran away.

Officers caught both men in the area and arrested them. Police said they recovered a gun from the porch of a home in the 700 block of Rhode Island Street that Monegro apparently threw as he was trying to run from officers.

Monegro was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault and obstruction, and James was arrested for obstruction.

Comments

fletch 8 years, 5 months ago

Last Call: Making Lawrence Classier Since 2003

Michael Birch 8 years, 5 months ago

The bottom line-The Last Call has to go!

DanFreako 8 years, 5 months ago

This should be the last call for The Lst Call!!! Such a scurge to this town.

lawrencephilosopher 8 years, 5 months ago

OK, get rid of the Last Call, but then where do we go to get drugs, hookers, pimps, guns, bangers and meet people from K.C. K. and Topeka. This kind of Black culture is a nightmare!

oldgoof 8 years, 5 months ago

shut it down. public nuisance. pull the liquor license. get on with it.

reginafliangie 8 years, 5 months ago

Why ya hafta pulla gun man! Why ya hafta pulla gun?!?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

and they had those guns with them all day long so I would say it was a good thing no one pissed them off while they were at the store or on the the street you never know when something might set people off but you all have to know they had those guns with them all day not just at the bar.

Confrontation 8 years, 5 months ago

Ahhh, the racist sounds of Lawrence, KS. It's pretty easy to show your southern ways when your identity is anonymous.

Mama 8 years, 5 months ago

The story didn't mention the race of any persons involved and Mama doesn't care. A gun-toting idiot is a gun-toting idiot. Period. What scares me in all this is that my son works at another (non-violent) establishment downtown and parks in the lot north of Last Call. My fear is that one night on his way to his car after work, minding his own business, he'll get caught in the crossfire. Idiots.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

well da** in case you missed it one of those guys was from lawrence and if you think the youth of lawrence do not carry guns around with them you are being naive.

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 5 months ago

Well, for once I agree with "mommaeffortx2". People seem to have this naive view that Lawrence, and it's youth, are like the town and citizens of Mayberry, and the only criminals are those that come from Topeka or KCK/KCMO. Lawrence has plenty of crime on it's own without the aid of outside thugs. Remember the woman that was shot in the face, point-blank, by a person she met at...Last Call? They were all Lawrence residents. Remember the woman that was stabbed in the face and neck at Colony Woods? Both she and her psychotic ex (the attacker) are from Lawrence. How about the notorious fight at the Moon Bar? Again, the vast majority of participants were from Lawrence.

The Last Call, whether populated by Lawrence thugs or those from outside Lawrence, needs to go.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

wow the end is near you agreed with me I really do think that is a first.

lawrencephilosopher 8 years, 5 months ago

So ya Thought ya Might like to Go to the show. To feel that warm thrill of confusion, That space cadet glow. I've got some bad news for you sunshine, Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel And they sent us along as a surrogate band We're gonna find out where you folks really stand.

Are there any queers in the theater tonight? Get them up against the wall! There's one in the spotlight, he don't look right to me, Get him up against the wall! That one looks Jewish! And that one's a coon! Who let all of this riff-raff into the room? There's one smoking a joint, And another with spots! If I had my way, I'd have all of you shot!

Jamesaust 8 years, 5 months ago

Just how long do we have to put up with an establishment that facilitates criminal behavior?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

close it down and the guns just go to another bar people.

Confrontation 8 years, 5 months ago

momma's: I was not referring to either of you.

egypt 8 years, 5 months ago

Eh Topeka shut down there only hip hop club, After one person was shot. I dont know why they keep last call open, except for if they keep shooting eachother and getting arrested they are quickly going to run out of people going to that club

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

Last Call will be closed. The only question is what the body count will be when it happens.

GardenMomma 8 years, 5 months ago

Think about it this way: if the Last Call stays open, then everyone will know where "the bad crowd" hangs out and those people who don't want to get mixed up in that crowd can avoid it. Also, then the police will know where the most toublesome/dangerous/what-have-you people are and they can patrol it more closely. And, what the hey, maybe find a few people with outstanding warrants and such. Just a thought.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry all, little brother thinks he's funny. Please remove those posts LJW.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

How is it racist to call it like it is? The thug/hip-hop group is predominately black. Can we all agree on that one? The music and attitudes that resonate amongst the thug/hip-hop group is to: smack that btch up, kill the police, pop a cap in your a*, etc. I listen to rap every once in a while (when it's coming loudly from some other idiot's car) and I don't hear alot of fuzzy puppies and buy the world a coke type of messages. I hear drugs, thugs, gangs, murder, guns, rape, violence and hatred. I'm personally tired of it. I'm tired of the reasoning that it's cool to be a thug or have a prison record or gun down someone in the street. I don't want any part of it, I don't want it in my town and I think they should close down that eye sore of a dump and chase all of those bastards back to Topeka and Crimedotte, where they freaking belong. And they should take the idiots from Lawrence that think they're gang bangers with them (whatever color they may be). And on your way, jerkoffs, let me leave you with a bit of advice. 1: get an education. For example, the word is ask, not ax! 2: put down that gun, that doesn't make you cool it makes you even more of an idiot (if that's even possible) and 3: pull up your freaking pants already!!!

GardenMomma 8 years, 5 months ago

Hear! Hear! On the pants issue acg. I wonder if any of them have tripped and fallen down because the crotch of their pants are at (or below) the knee.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

Hehee, GardenMomma, that would be something to see. I saw a hip hop dude on an awards show once and he was jumping up and down while he ranted about how the world was oppressing him and he had to hold onto his pants with one hand to keep them from falling down. It was ridiculous. Not long ago, my 6 year old and I were headed into Dillons on 6th and Lawrence Ave. and there was a punk in front of us with his boxers sticking out of his pants and my kid says "why are his underwear showing?" and I said, quite loudly "well, dear, because he thinks he looks cool" and then my kid says "but his underwear are showing and my teacher says that you shouldn't show your underwear in public because it's rude". Out of the mouths of babes, huh?

eskimopieinKS 8 years, 5 months ago

LOL acg

kids are so funny sometimes

you know what I wonder tho? how come nobody complains when it's a thong hanging out the back of some girls pants?

my bf offered to buy me some and I said No. Say no to butt floss!

hockmano 8 years, 5 months ago

ACG, I can't wait until it is your kid with his boxers hanging out! Or when one of those "Punks" tries to date your daughter!

WHITE PEOPLE PULL GUNS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I also get sick of these people who think the kids in Lawrence are angels. NOT! There were students in my daughters classes that were on the sex offender list, had robbed gas stations, and had weapons charges! WAKE UP! And this is all at the local high school!

Hip Hop is given a bad rap just like rock and roll back in the day!Yes, something probably should be done about the Last Call. To me it is definitely not a racial thing, I don't care who is pulling guns and causing problems, the city needs to address the situation.

To the two of you were arrested, try to let the thug life go and do something constructive!

Oh, and ALL Hip Hop does not contain profanity! If you would open your ears you might find some you like.

Lawrence portrays itself as a melting pot. But predjudice is everywhere. Experienced it! Been there!I mean, the majority of people are okay but you always have those bad apples. And it seems like some of those have posted their views here.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

Well hockmano, it won't be my kid with his boxers hanging out because that type of behavior, music and attitude won't be allowed in my home, as it wasn't in my parents. When I hear parents of teens say they can't control their child's behavior I cringe because, yes you can!! My parents did emergency spot checks at school to see how we were dressed and if we were dressed inappropriately we had the holy crap knocked out of us in front of our friends and peers. It only took once for me to learn that lesson. My sister, however, didn't learn that lesson, or any other lessons too well, and found herself in a reform school, which is where I would send my kid in a heartbeat before I'd allow them to grow up to be an uneducated, hateful little punk that thinks he's a gang banger or before my daughter grows up to run the streets like a hoor. I have no pity or sympathy for anyone (black or white) who participates in a thug life. We all come to a certain crossroads in our lives. We make a decision, right around puberty or thereabouts, to either, a: get an education (whatever education may be offered to us) and try to be a productive member of society or b: do drugs, sell drugs and act like a thug. If a person takes the wrong road and screws up their life well then that's just too damned bad for them. I get sick and tired of hearing the same old argument "oh well he was raised in poverty..." So freaking what!! So was Oprah Winfrey, and where is she today? Does she have to denegrate her race to make money? Does she have to perpetuate the myth that women are bitches and should be smacked and men have the right to gun each other down like animals? So, sorry buddy, your lame, tired, pity them argument doesn't wash with me.

Mama 8 years, 5 months ago

hockmano, I agree. I also agree with some of what acg said. in particular your 3 bits of advice at the end - put down the gun, pick up a book and buy some pants that fit your scrawny butt!

However, being a Dotte by birth I'm slightly offended by your suggestion to send all the "bastards back to Topeka and Crimedotte." (Yes, you can take the girl out of the Dotte but you can't take the Dotte out of the girl.)

Lawrence is not some angelic little utopia. Crap lives here, too. But you can't arbitrarily flush all the crap to Topeka and the Dotte. You know, there are actually some very nice people and some very nice neighborhoods in Wyandotte County? It's true.

As has been said before, do something about Last Call!! You can't put a gate around Lawrence and proclaim "I got in but you're too late, I don't like you and you can't come in." As sad as it is, every city/town has it's bad seeds, bad neighborhoods, bad hangouts. Don't let them win. But don't be so ignorant as to think Lawrence will ever be hip-hop/rap/gun-free. It

badger 8 years, 5 months ago

Hip hop did for music what beat poetry did for verse. Some love it, some hate it. Any time an artform changes, that's what you're going to see. However, the influence of the culture, ranging from rap as a form of performance street poetry to tagging as guerrilla art to the profane ostentation (and ostentatious profanity) of the bling-based thug lifestyle, is undeniable and it's pointless to lump in 'that element' with only its negative attributes.

Has anyone posting about getting 'the hip hop culture' out of Lawrence ever really looked critically at some of the grafitti art out there in the world? Sure, there's some that's just property-defacing chickenscratch, but there's also legitimate venues for it in larger cities (including a traveling exhibit of grafitti art that was in KC a few years back) where incredible examples of the form are on view.

If you want to address the problems of venues like Last Call effectively, you have to be able to separate the 'thug' element from the 'hip hop' element. Lawrence is going to have a venue that plays hip hop and rap because there is a market here for that music and that culture. Close down Last Call to get rid of its 'criminal element' and another venue will take its place. Unless you learn to address the real problem of people coming into anyplace in Lawrence armed and stupid and looking for trouble, you'll just recreate this situation when the next club opens and has the same problems.

Any club, no matter what kind of music they play, should ensure the safety of its customers and manage its business in a way that doesn't encourage crime. If this means metal detectors, if it means a ban list for people who cause trouble, if it means they have to get hardcore on people who start fights, so be it. I'd like to see it mean sitting down with prominent members of the local hip hop community to work on a community-based shift away from the thug element's dominance of the situation, but no matter what, unless change starts happening soon (as in 'matter of days or weeks', not months), I'd assume it's not going to happen for Last Call, and that staying open is not only prolonging the problem, but also preventing someone more responsible and conscientious from filling that niche.