Archive for Sunday, July 23, 2006

Starving girls found at home

July 23, 2006

— Police found two young girls in a basement Friday who were so emaciated that an officer compared them to Nazi death camp survivors.

Their two stepsiblings were upstairs with their mother, healthy and well-fed.

Acting on a tip, state social workers stopped by the south Wichita house Friday to check on the welfare of the children. They then notified the police.

"It's the worst case of malnutrition I've ever seen," Lt. E.J. Bastian said.

The 6- and 7-year-old girls kept in the basement told police they ate whenever their dad was home.

But that wasn't very often.

He was out of town on business this week and he would be gone next week, too - "so they were really hoping they could eat this weekend," Bastian said.

The two girls were so thin "they looked like concentration-camp survivors," he said.

The 4-year-old girl and 8-year-old boy belonging to the girls' stepmother were obviously well cared for, Bastian said. The house had plenty of food, too.

The two emaciated children were taken to Wesley Medical Center for treatment and have been placed in the pediatric intensive care unit, Bastian said.

A doctor told police that it looked as though they hadn't eaten in six days or had anything to drink in three - days on which the high temperatures hit 108, 108 and 109.

The two healthy children have been taken into protective custody and placed at the Wichita Children's Home.

The children's stepmother has been taken in for questioning, Bastian said. The father will be interrogated when he returns to Wichita.

Comments

Dixie Jones 8 years, 5 months ago

i would have to do the same to the parents .. im a firm beleiver in treat others as you wish to be treated ..... the parents must want this kind of treatment so lets DO IT ! ! !! ! ! !......... thoes people deserve nothing but tourture and life in prison ........... let the other inmates find out what they did ,,, wont take long till they get theirs SAD world out there and there are millions of childless people wishing and praying for a child and these kinds of people have kids............. poor babies

stbaker 8 years, 5 months ago

This is the kind of news that makes me sick. These "parents" are sick and the children will forever have the scars of the abuse.

GardenMomma 8 years, 5 months ago

Is it at all possible that the father had no idea? Why wait for him to return? Why not just go and get him? Suppose he doesn't return?

How horrible for these two children. I hope they become stronger for it and stay close - obviously they are each other's only family.

Does the term "Cinderella" come to mind? Let's hope these children's ending is just as happy.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

wow. there are some particular punishments appropriate for that "step mother!" am glad she lost her kids, just hope srs doesn't give her kids back to her. just what kinda values were her own kids being taught?
this is a horrible case and I would think the "dad" should be legally responsible too, because he had to know, being these kids were that old, that they were being neglected in his absence. he chose to leave them in such a place with no care!
oh God, that these kids get to some grown ups who will allow them to have a childhood and some healing in a loving environment bountiful in providing their needs!

ASBESTOS 8 years, 5 months ago

THe 2 "healthy kids" will also be screwed up. THey knew what was going on too, and did they become "conditioned" to think this was "normal" and OK, to treat step-children this way?

These stories blow me away every time I hear them.

bizarre 8 years, 5 months ago

now the job of SRS will be to reunite the family.

Give the parents at least 15 more chances, give them visits, counseling, cater to their every need. perhaps overnite visits, perhaps bring them food to the visits so they can prove they are capable of feeding them.

then by time the kids are 12 or 13 yrs. old they will decide maybe they need to go ahead and be adopted, only now.. well you know the rest.

xenophonschild 8 years, 5 months ago

Reading these posts helps alleviate somewhat the disbelief-shock-repugnance-pity-anger from this story.

That there is so much ugliness in the world makes the good even more precious.

yellowrose 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh, how this infuriates me! That woman should have never been allowed to bare children. I just pray that those poor precious girls will be adopted by a loving family who will take care of those special gifts from God. I'm worried about the other kids. Just because they were well fed doesn't mean that they weren't abused in some way. They could have been threatened with severe punishment of some kind which would have kept them from telling there father about how their sisters were treated. Who knows what they may have silently suffered? That so-called woman should be put under the jail instead of in it. If the father knew about this and didn't do anything to protect his daughters, I hope they throw the book at him. I've heard stories about what happens to child molesters in prison. Perhaps the same would apply for these supposed "parents." Some people just need killing and these "parents are two who fit into that category. I would love to have the honor and privilege of being a mother and will never hav that pleasure. I just don't understand how people can treat children the way that some do. Are their consciences so seared that they don't realize the gift they've been given? This woman is nobody's mother. She just happened to be in the same room when they were conceived and had her legs open. She's got cold hard steel in the place where her heart should be. I'd better quit typing before I start calling these things "everything but a child of God," as my mother used to say. I just hope and pray that those girls survive this without permanent damage to their physical health and that they will get enough love and proper care to heal the emotional scars that they will most likely have. I hope I never have the misfortune to meet these "parents," and know who they are. If I had that misfortune, their souls better belong to Jesus because their a$$es would be mine to kick.

ttongie 8 years, 5 months ago

this is amazing ...... amazingly terrible I cant believe someone could treat a child like that I just cant believe it it reminds me of a book i read its become my fav "A Child Called IT" a true story about david pelzer his mother kept him in the basement and did horrible things to him while the other children were well fed and loved.... I agree put her in the basement with no food or water and see how she likes it!