Archive for Thursday, July 20, 2006

Accident blamed on stoplight confusion

July 20, 2006

Confusion about a new stoplight on Clinton Parkway led to a motorcycle-car accident that injured one man Wednesday, Lawrence Police said.

The new stoplight is at the intersection of Crestline Drive, just south of a new parking lot being built on Kansas University's west campus next to Shenk Recreational Sports Complex fields.

As the light is being installed and tested, it is flashing yellow for east-west traffic and red for north-south traffic.

Drivers may proceed with caution through a yellow flashing light. But shortly before 11 a.m. Wednesday, a white car traveling east on Clinton Parkway stopped at the flashing yellow, said Kim Murphree, a police spokesperson.

A man on a motorcycle behind the car hit the rear driver's side of the car, Murphree said.

The motorcyclist, who has not yet been identified, was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, Murphree said. The three people in the car were not injured, she said. The driver of the car told police another car in front of it had also stopped.

Comments

BrianR 8 years, 5 months ago

Hmmmm, isn't there a test or something or maybe a small booklet that explains what all this means? I am speechless -- I hope this "confused" person had their driver's license revoked and their keys taken away from them.

barelygettingby 8 years, 5 months ago

I say take their licenses away and don't give em back until they pass driver's ed again, at their own expense, of course. This is a basic training issue, after all.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 5 months ago

There's a reason why the handbook says to slow down at a flashing yellow light, and proceed with caution...because, depending on the actions of other drivers, you might actually have to STOP.

The article says that the car in front of this car stopped, making it necessary for this car to stop. Or would you have rather he had just kept going?

And the article doesn't say why the first car stopped. Perhaps because this traffic light is new, and someone coming from the other direction didn't realize it was there, and didn't stop on the red light?

You're all acting like no one has ever been hit by someone else at an intersection who had the red light and should have stopped but didn't.

Horace 8 years, 5 months ago

Prayers for the injured, but only idiots ride motorcycles.

grimpeur 8 years, 5 months ago

On the contrary, "The more you drive, the less intelligent you are"--Miller.

And I've realized he's right.

reginafliangie 8 years, 5 months ago

This doesn't surpise me. How many nimrods don't know how to go through a flashing red light in all directions?? People literally freak out, "ohhhhhh what do I do, what do I do???" What you do is treat it as a 4 way stop. As many people that run red lights or think yellow means hurry it's about to turn red and they freak at a yellow flashing light?? Amazing!

gphawk89 8 years, 5 months ago

If gasoline prices continue to do what they've been doing the past few months, I expect we'll see more cycles and scooters on the road in the coming months/years. I ride whenever I can nowadays - 70mpg is too good to pass up.

I just hope auto drivers can keep a bit closer watch for the increased number of cyclists (although that was not the problem in this particular case) and those new to cycling fully realize the perils they face on city streets. A great rule for riding a cycle is to pretend you are invisible (i.e. assume that the other drivers can not see you) and ride accordingly. I go one further and pretent that other drivers are trying to hit me, and that's saved me on more than one occasion.

gphawk89 8 years, 5 months ago

And another rule: when a traffic signal is dead due to a power outage, it's also treated as a 4-way stop. Doesn't matter if it's a 6-lane artery in one direction and a 2-lane side street in the other - everyone has to stop. Several traffic signals were dead on my way to work today due to a storm and you wouldn't believe how much chaos that has caused. Luckily the power at my workplace was also out so I get a free day off. :-)

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

was not going to say anything on this but it does not matter that the car stopped, the guy on the motercycle will get the ticket for following to close and I would say that that is most likley what happened because he did hit the rear end of the car.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

I have never seen a case that the person in the rear was not cited for being in the wrong, may happen but not many I would say.

conservative 8 years, 5 months ago

Only situation I've heard of where the driver that rear ended the other doesn't get a ticket is if the stopped vehicle was shielded from view. An example would be just over the top of a hill, or around a bend in a road, where the speed limit doesn't allow enough time to stop if you come upon a vehicle stalled in the road.

Now many times the vehicle that stopped will receive a citation as well depending upon the circumstances, but it's not an either or situation where only one can be cited.

And I still hope the the cyclist is doing ok.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

me a too did not read an update on condition but maybe that is a good thing you know treated and released. Easy to get hurt real bad hurt on a bike.

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

I have a friend who works as an ER doc. You know what they call motorcyclists? Donors. He tells a story of surgeon who was due to replace the retina of a elderly women patient. He walks into her room and says, "we don't have any retinas right now", then walking to the window says, "but look it's raining, it shouldn't be long now!"

If you run into a stopped vehicle its probably your fault. You are also likely to be confused by paper ballots, that the end of the line is not where your friend started standing an hour ago, and that girls are not impressed by how big your pipes are. OK, two out of three.

madigrl03 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, most likely the motorcyclist will be cited and reponsible for the damages to the other vehicle. It wasn't on a hill or out of site so coming from the insurance point of view, the cyclist will be at fault

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

My wife's grandmother was almost part of this wreck. She said the guy on the bike was riding like he had no common sense, and nearly hit her before hitting the other car. So, there you go.

lunacydetector 8 years, 5 months ago

did that intersection REALLY need a stoplight?

geekin_topekan 8 years, 5 months ago

That intersection will need a stop light once the new parking lot is open and the school year is in full swing.Or,there will be long lines waiting to get out and more flashing ambulances for those can't wait another second. The real confusing flashing light is the at 6th and Mass. at 11pm when it goes from a metered stop to a flashing yellow.The turning lane to go across the bridge is a flashing yellow as is the on coming west bound traffic..When both the on coming and the turning lane are flashing yellow it can be close sometimes.Beware.