Archive for Wednesday, July 19, 2006

City Band concert canceled due to heat

July 19, 2006, 1:41 p.m. Updated July 19, 2006, 3:38 p.m.

Due to the extreme heat anticipated for today, the final Lawrence City Band Concert for the season scheduled for this evening has been canceled. No decision has been made yet whether it will be rescheduled, said Bill Kelly, a spokesman for the City Band.

"It's hot now and it's not going to cool down," Kelly said about 3:20 p.m. He said that he and Duane Peterson, of Lawrence Parks and Recreation, looked at the projected forecast for the evening and decided that temperatures would still be about 98 degrees with a 107 heat index by the time the concert was to start at 8 p.m. in South Park.

He said it was the first time he remembered the final concert of the year - which features the 1812 Overture and cannon fire - being canceled because of heat.

"This is ugly. This is brutal," Kelly said.

An attempt will be made to reschedule and an announcement will be made as soon as possible, he said.

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

In this heat, they'll sound like that kids band in "The Music Man" as they all slowly succumb to heat stroke.

All I know is, no matter HOW hot it is, they better now cancel the DEMOLITION DERBY at the county fair! That's the highlight of my year. We included photos of the event in our 2005 Christmas brag letter. I kid you not.

lawrencephilosopher 8 years, 5 months ago

BS20 8 years, 5 months ago

When is the demolition derby? I don't wanna miss it.

jamnjohnks 8 years, 5 months ago

Hope the concert can get rescheduled...this is the best one of the year....with the cannons especially :-)

trinity 8 years, 5 months ago

hell they could go on with the concert-leave the damn FOUNTAIN on, enter/splash/cool off/play at your own risk! ;)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

The derby is the Friday of the fair. I THINK (not sure) that its the first full week in August.

Rednecks. Engines with no mufflers. More rednecks, with girlfriends wearing clothing that doesn't work for their body styles. Chili cheese fries. More rednecks. The smell of burning oil mixed with the smell of blowing radiators. More chili cheese fries, because I dropped the other plate on my way up the bleachers. %&$#. Loud bangs and thuds. A headache from smelling all those fumes, and the loud bangs and thuds. The little economy car round right before the grand finale. I can't wait!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

They should carry on with the concert. Just turn on the sprinklers.

sandrat7 8 years, 5 months ago

4pm is the hottest part of the day. 'everyone knows' this.

mztrendy 8 years, 5 months ago

oldenuf, don't forget the two extremely drunk rednecks that always seem to be there and get kicked out before the derby is halfway over for trying to fight with someone! Happens every year!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 5 months ago

I hope I can find a "No Fear" t-shirt before the day of the derby!

georgieporgie 8 years, 5 months ago

I like the sprinkler idea. Can they point them at the people? It's OK for the city to spend thousands of dollars on the plants but what about the people?

mztrendy 8 years, 5 months ago

oh no kidding! Do you have any umbro shorts?

bearded_gnome 8 years, 5 months ago

Dear Bialy, thank you and your fellows for playing! this annual series is so very special. Mrs. Gnome and I made it to two this year, wished could've been for all of 'em! two weeks ago, when we were there for the patriotic themed one, the crowd in the park was massive. that's so exciting to see.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE reschedule this I would so miss having this this summer! especially the 1812/cannons. that's a tremendous gift to our community.

those of you utilizing the phrase "rednecks" please stop and think, for agro-americans are people too!

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

And yet the same Parks & Recreation folks refused to cancel the children's coach pitch softball games at YSI this evening. It was hotter than blazes in the stands, one can only wonder what the temp was for the 8 & 9 year olds on the field. It was their last game of the summer season. My g'baby played at 7:15. Some of the dad's filled the catcher position so the girls would not have to dawn all the gear that is hot on a regular evening.

At least they are willing to try a reschedule with the concert, it was play or forfeit for the youngsters.

Gripe over,

Hope all y'all have a great night!

Manana

Wile_EE_Coyote 8 years, 5 months ago

Too bad the weather was so uncooperative. I hope the concert can be rescheduled. The concerts are excellent, and the finale is a special treat to the community!

I drive over from Overland Park for each concert. It helps to be able to access the band's website for scheduling info and cancellations. But unfortunately, the web site has not been updated since May, and the schedule page shows last year's summer schedule, not the schedule for 2006. My June eMail to the site's webmaster has not been answered. Could someone please inform the band management of this internet "misconduct" and get the website current again.

Thank you.