Archive for Monday, July 17, 2006

NAACP chairman urges Bush appearance

July 17, 2006

— Julian Bond blasted the war in Iraq and conservative attacks on voting rights, yet the NAACP's chairman Sunday also urged President Bush to attend the civil rights group's annual convention on Wednesday.

Bush has avoided the conventions since taking office in 2001, making him the first sitting president in decades not to have spoken to the group. His schedule for Wednesday lists an event with the notation "TBA," or to be announced.

Bond said Bush's presence would show that he hears the concerns of African-Americans. "We have values, we vote our values, and we demand to be valued in return," he said.

More than 2000 gathered for Bond's hour-long keynote speech, which kicked off the 97th convention of the Baltimore-based National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Comments

erichaar 8 years, 5 months ago

"Julian Bond blasted. . . conservative attacks on voting rights"

Conservative attacks on voting rights?

Did the Associated Press just reprint John Kerry's and Nancy Pelosi's talking points? This sort of liberal spin in the media is OUTRAGEOUS!

BrianR 8 years, 5 months ago

Liberal media, blah, blah, blah...

Hate, right, politic, inclusive, coffee, liberal, walnuts, left, hot dogs, attack media, Big John Mazmanian, hoo ha. Can't bring myself to care about this election year whining and bitching.

erichaar 8 years, 5 months ago

"It's revealing that you think blacks can be excluded " ---- holygrailale

Are you kidding me? You conclude that RightThinker intended (or even hinted) to mean what you claim? You, holygrailale, are a race-baiter.

erichaar 8 years, 5 months ago

holygrailale,

I don't know how many turns off the logic trail you needed to make to reach the ridiculous conlcusions you have about righthinker's comment. I only know it was a lot of them.

bankboy119 8 years, 5 months ago

No holy you're wrong again.

Not all blacks are members of the NAACP. Not all blacks hate GWB. You my friend are a race baiter.

Godot 8 years, 5 months ago

Bush has never made an appearance at my club, either. I am totally offended.