Archive for Friday, July 14, 2006

Prison inmate charged for killing of Lecompton man last year

July 14, 2006

Leonard W. Price

Leonard W. Price

A 44-year-old prison inmate with at least three burglary convictions- each in a different Kansas county - has been charged with the murder of a Lecompton jeweler.

The killing was more than a year ago at the slain man's home on the Upper River Road.

In a press conference moments ago, Dist. Atty. Charles Branson and Sheriff Ken McGovern announced that Leonard W. "Battle Axe" Price- now an inmate at the Hutchinson Correctional Facility- is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 77-year-old Clarence David Boose on April 29, 2005. Branson said it appeared the killing happened when Boose was at home and Price burglarized it.

"No one should have to live in fear of violence in their own home," said Boose's daughter, Teresa Payne of McPherson, who today spoke out for the first time about the killing.

The charges come after a nearly 16-month investigation by the Douglas County Sheriff's Office and other agencies that involved 200 leads and 250 interviews. Until today, sheriff's investigators hadn't released any details of what led to Boose's death, and they still won't say how Boose died.

Branson said the investigation of the killing continues, and there could be additional suspects.

Comments

macon47 7 years, 9 months ago

do what yo have to do it is all for a kinder and gentler lawrence drugs are good trix are for kids

ljreader 7 years, 9 months ago

We'll have to wake up the fragile young liberals who are sleeping in their parents' basements first.

macon47 7 years, 9 months ago

please no violence, let us gather at the baker wetlands and swat mosquitoes in unison to pray for the poor soul kinder is better recycle your waste at walmart vote grocery sackers in for city commissioners and support your local drug dealer.

John Spencer 7 years, 9 months ago

Touring: It hasn't worked yet. There is no discernible link between the death penalty and its' deterring crime. I have to say I see-saw a bit on the issue, when I see something like this I just want the guy to die, but when I read about someone that has lost their lives to mistaken identity, lab errors, mishandled evidence or other miscarriages of justice it makes me cringe. The thought of walking along and then getting nabbed by the police and someone you can't see says " that's him!" and you spend the next 25 years trying to prove you didn't do it...but that's better I suppose than being executed and then someone else figures out you didn't do it.

Rick Aldrich 7 years, 9 months ago

he took a life. now he should be ready to give up his. and not laying on a bed with a slow drip needle in the arm. i believe in hanging so hang him till his neck snaps or the heart stops. a couple of these and i'm sure crime rate will drop drasticly.

macon47 7 years, 9 months ago

NOW WE SHOULD BE KINDER AND GENTLER HERE IN LAWRENCE. remember the blue sky the trees the flowers. love your neighbor. let everyone gather at south park hold hands in a candlelite vigil and pray for this mans soul. let him who is without sin cast the first stone. hire dummies for city commissioners and support your local drug dealer.

small_fish_in_small_pond 7 years, 9 months ago

Uh, electric chair hasn't been used for decades....

freudian_slip 7 years, 9 months ago

What a bastard! Fry him up like catfish!

Lynn731 7 years, 9 months ago

Outstanding work by the Sheriff on this one! I was surprised that a suspect had been arrested. I live near Lecompton, and this man's death has been felt by all of us. We are very fortunate to have such a fine sheriff, and his deputies, in Douglas County! Thank you, Lynn

Centrist 7 years, 9 months ago

Yes, he should fry for murdering anyone. But I get especially riled when I hear it is someone elderly, a woman or a child, etc.

Centrist 7 years, 9 months ago

Why was my comment removed?? I said (if guilty) he should fry for killing this old man. Then I called him a B .. but I blocked out the S.

Ok, try this:

If guilty, he is a b_d.

That better, LJWORLD editors?

FeRam9 7 years, 9 months ago

"Battle Axe"? What an idiot.

Eric Beightel 7 years, 9 months ago

So you wouldn't have him fry for killing a child or a teenager or a middle aged man? He should fry for killing an old man or for killing anyone? I'm not sure if I follow.

Centrist 7 years, 9 months ago