Archive for Friday, July 14, 2006

Early morning wreck kills two Tonganoxie men

July 14, 2006, 4:34 a.m. Updated July 14, 2006, 4:30 p.m.

Jacob Wyrick

Jacob Wyrick

Benjamin Pickert

Benjamin Pickert

Two 21-year-old men from Tonganoxie were killed early this morning in a car-semi truck accident near 21st and Iowa streets, according to Lawrence Police.

Those reported killed were Jacob Wyrick, driver of the 2001 Ford Mustang, and passenger Benjamin Pickert.

They were driving south on Iowa Street when they collided shortly before 2 a.m. with a semi tractor trailer driven by a 58-year-old man from Quebec, Canada. Police identified the truck driver as Paul Labourdette.

The wreck happened during heavy rains.

Police said Labourdette was heading north but had stopped in the street when he saw the Mustang spinning out of control, coming toward him.

"He was doing everything he could to avoid the accident," LPD spokeswoman Kim Murphree said. "The car was spinning. It spun into and hit the tractor-trailer. Both of the 21-year-olds were pronounced dead at the scene."

Murphree said speed, weather and alcohol would be investigated as possible contributing factors, but that it was too early to say for certain which of those played a role.

She asked anyone who may have seen the vehicle driving south on Iowa between Ninth Street and the scene before the wreck to contact police at 832-7501.

Murphree said she didn't have information yet about whether the men were wearing seat belts. A complete report will be released Tuesday, she said.

For more on this story, see the 6News reports at 5:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband's channel 6 and pick up a copy of Saturday's Journal-World.

Comments

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Ceallach 8 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts, prayers and sympathy go out to the friends and families of the victims. Such a tragedy!

planetwax 8 years, 5 months ago

My deepest sympathies go out to the families of the victims.

Many questions are raised by the photos of this accident. I'm stunned by the amount of damage done to the Mustang. The top appears to be completely ripped off. Was the vehicle speeding? Maybe we'll find out more, later.

Aileen Dingus 8 years, 5 months ago

Planet...

Looks like they might have had to take the roof off to get to the people inside.

But I could be wrong.

kumbaya 8 years, 5 months ago

When I got the phonecall about the accident, I didn't really know what to say or do. I just saw them about three days ago and now they're gone. I'm not best friends with them, but it hits so close to home that it hurts. I still can't believe this is happening. You both are always in my hearts and your families in my prayers.

tongie 8 years, 5 months ago

This is so crazy because I talked to both of them yesterday. They even asked me to go out with them last night. For those of you that didn't know these two people they were just two 21 year old trying to have some fun. They were both fun people to be around, both easy to talk to and always there if you needed someone. It's hard to believe that I just lost two of my friends it doesn't seem real. I know both of the kids parents and I feel for them so badly. I cried when I found out so I can only imagine how they feel right now. My prayers are with them and there families.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

Sorry you guys lost your friends. :(

Bruce Bertsch 8 years, 5 months ago

Some sympathy for the Semi Driver as well. It isn't easy knowing that you were in an accident where others died and you lived.

Rossp 8 years, 5 months ago

This is sad. I do have to say I think this is a bad stretch of road when it's raining....I've spun out there once, I've seen others get in accidents all when it's raining... You don't have to be driving fast for this to happen either.

conservative 8 years, 5 months ago

First off my condolences to the families and friends.

Powershopper

I think you misread where this happened. This was at 21st and Iowa, basically next to Hastings.

mom_of_three 8 years, 5 months ago

I believe the roof of the car, and the door would have been taken off to remove the victims from the wreckage.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm sorry you lost your friends/family member. You're all too young to have to feel that kind of pain.

Mpratt12 8 years, 5 months ago

When I got the call this morning about what had happened, i was in total shock. I didn't know what to do, or how to feel. I also saw them about 2 or 3 days ago, and its hard to believe that I will never see them again. They were both fun to be around and I will miss them very much. This just comes to show that bad things happen to good people. My prayers are with the family and friends of these two young people.

avenger 8 years, 5 months ago

First of all I want to let the families of these two great kids know the I am thinking about you guys. I've spent a lot of time with these two kids. When I got the call early this morning I could hardly believe what I was hearing. Just yesterday I got a text message that said "Going out tonight you should come it's going to be a lot of fun" from one of the guys. Just an evening out having fun with your friends, and how it can turn is something that we all take for granted. There will be sad hearts for these guys and they will be truely missed. My prayers are with you guys. RIP.

tongie 8 years, 5 months ago

I really don't think this is a place to be joking when I just lost two of my best guy friends who do so much for other people. They have both been there for me in rough times when I needed a shoulder to cry on and give me advice when I was having guy troubles. They were two awesome people who I cared for. I would give up so much to change things for these two even though I know that is not possible.

tutulee 8 years, 5 months ago

I actually saw these two less than a minute before their fatalities. I was southbound stopped at the intersection of Bob Billings and Iowa and they were in the lane to the right of me, one vehicle to the rear. As we were stopped there they were revving their engines aggressively and making some kind of entertaining gestures to my passenger. As the light turned green a red truck behind me entered the opposite lane and raced past and the mustang these guys were driving somehow got in front of me with the passenger hanging with his torso completely out the window, turned entirely around to face us with a cellular phone in his hand. Less than a minute later we saw the wreckage down the street in front of the Army Reserve building and I pulled a U turn to see if there was anything I could do to help. As I arrived at the scene their car was burning and the semi driver was extinguishing the flames but there was little we could do to help these two because the vehicle was in such a condition that they were pinned in. I initially thought there were three passengers but it turned out that the driver had endured such an impact that his seat was crushed in to the rear of the car. It is unfortunate, but it appears that they were not driving safely at the time.

n8n2010 8 years, 5 months ago

craigers 8 years, 5 months ago

You don't get that type of damage to a semi at a non-excessive speed. I'm sorry for those of you who lost these friends. It sucks.

neverwrong 8 years, 5 months ago

As mentioned above, sounds like the trucker is a victim here. If the eyewitness account is accurate the driver of the car was flirting with fate. It sounds like these two were well liked and will be missed. My thoughts are with those that were close to them.

adky 8 years, 5 months ago

avoice 8 years, 5 months ago

tutulee:

What a devastating thing to witness. I hope you have given your story to the authorities?

"(Murphree) asked anyone who may have seen the vehicle driving south on Iowa between Ninth Street and the scene before the wreck to contact police at 832-7501."

Jay_Z 8 years, 5 months ago

Shelby 8 years, 5 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

the unfortunate lesson in this is always slow down in bad weather, my heart feels for the family and friends of these two very young men.

Mpratt12 8 years, 5 months ago

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of these two young men. As soon as I got the call this morning, I was completely shocked! Me and a few of my friends were close to both of them. I have many great memories with them and they will be very greatly missed by everyone! I give my thoughts and prayers to their families & friends!

Shelby 8 years, 5 months ago

Shelby 8 years, 5 months ago

this is a case in which the comments section does a disservice to the people of Lawrence (and Tonganoxie).

Shelby 8 years, 5 months ago

thomgreen 8 years, 5 months ago

This was a sad tragedy. Whether they were driving bad or not, death is still a harsh penalty to pay for horseplay.

Side note, this has to be a record for the most "(This comment was removed by the site staff.)" that I've ever seen.

R.I.P.

Gabe Hoffman 8 years, 5 months ago

To die at a young age is a shame. I've lost two friends to accidents and know how it feels. I've learned my lesson with speeding and being stupid. Cars are thousands of pounds of metal, not a thing to be taken lightly.

tutulee 8 years, 5 months ago

Me and my passenger already gave a written statement to the police on site. In fact, we had parked at the driveway in front of the US Army Reserve building and were blocked in by emergency vehicles so we remained for over an hour at the scene. Every police officer that walked past asked us for contact information and to see whether or not my passenger was all right (she had totalled her car that night on K-10 and her sister was also in an accident).

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

Steve Jacob 8 years, 5 months ago

No 21 year old should have to die, even doing something reckless. We usually get a chance to learn from our mistakes.

allmine 8 years, 5 months ago

they did completly remove the other post that was in there that I was responding to but I did not say anything bad.

Tony Pickert 8 years, 5 months ago

As an Uncle to Ben Pickert, I know a good kid was lost to inpulsive behavior at a wrong time and wrong place. He was respectful of adults and an honest person at heart.

We need a sophmore high school class for preventing these kind of very serious life-mishaps. Such a class could be safety oriented, geared for the next 10 years of life. God Bless all good-hearted persons. They deserve better.

adky 8 years, 5 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

tony please note that I did not write anything bad on those post that have been removed. My heart feels for you and your family I can not say I know how you feel. I pray for all of the family and friends. I do not know why they wjere removed I would not post a ugly remark in this type of situation.

acg 8 years, 5 months ago

momma why are they removing your comments? You have said anything negative, rude or derogatory. ???

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

10 removals on this post today not all mine but 10 and I think only a couple were mean.

tongie 8 years, 5 months ago

You know this is a time to mourn and remember are friends and there are some of you people on here just posting random things and arguing with each other. I actually care about these two people they were close to me. It hurts bad enough to know that I have lost two of my friends and all some of you can do is write dumb things about foreign drivers and other things. Find something else to do with your time and let the people that really do care be supportive of each other.

conservative 8 years, 5 months ago

momma, I think they killed all comments that were in any way linked to the thoughtless remarks about the truck driver.

stinkfist 8 years, 5 months ago

adky:

The truck driver is from Quebec Canada...And they drive on the same side of the road as we do...The road signs in Canada are very similar...And I'm pretty sure the driver went to a truck driving school...And I'm sure they learned about international trucking...

JPTongie 8 years, 5 months ago

Then there are people that completely take advantage the rights to post. Making erratic assumptions and posting pointless comments. This is meant to send condolences and mourn our loss not belittle or argue with others. I wish they did not have this feature. The nerve of some people on here. Honestly! Some of you need to grow up!

Farewell Jake and Ben! You will be missed by so many. It's so horrible that your lives were cut short. I'm still in disbelief that you guys are gone. First Ryan now you guys. I hope this is the last.

R.I.P. 1985-2006

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

I never said anything about the driver and now they remove my answer to another poster that did not say anything bad at all. what the heck is going on.

editor 8 years, 5 months ago

It is our policy when sensitive or tragic news such as this is published to remove offensive or overly insensitive comments about those in the story or the conditions surrounding the incident. Occasionally, we will remove surrounding commentary on the offending material. We apologize to those who might have had their comments removed that were in-part referencing the offending material.

If you have comments or questions about moderation actions or policies, please feel free to email us by clicking on the editor username and selecting "Contact editor" or by emailing editor@ljworld.com.

kh1960 8 years, 5 months ago

our hearts are broken. this is a very sad day. ben & jake were awesome-great looking young men with great potential!**we were so proud of them and always welcomed in our home as our own! (they always made us laugh ) we have been blessed to have them in our lives! we pray for GODS presence in their families lives, for strength at this time to see them through this, and provide them peace. as a parent..."please take your child in your arms,look them in their eyes and tell them how much they mean to you and thank GOD for them daily!" robert & kathy hunter and family

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

To all who knew the two boys my heart feels for you. Lean on each other cry together and remember the good times you had with your friends and family.

flames_over_the_wasteland 8 years, 5 months ago

JPTongie makes a good point, however--there's a time and a place for comments, but in certain situations such as this, people's idiotic comments--something I'm finding occurs regularly on this board--serve nothing productive. If a family member of mine died, I would be outraged at the lack of decorum that people show here. In some cases such as this, freedom of speech is not a good thing.

adky 8 years, 5 months ago

That town certainly has had bad luck recently.

BTW, it is a weird editorial policy that deletes a post about improving road safety and yet allows the second post at 12:32pm to remain.

cms 8 years, 5 months ago

I lost a friend in a similar way almost 29 years ago. In my mind (and I think about him often), he is young, full of life and smiling. From the description above, it sounds like the two friends were having a great time before the accident. Late, warm summer night in a fast car having a good time with friends. Makes me smile to think how much fun they were having together. Perhaps that was the last thing they knew..... Focus on the positive and may the positive surround their friends and family. God bless.

Mike Blur 8 years, 5 months ago

Adky, you are seriously misrepresenting the content of your first post. Maybe it's best if you just went away.

tongie 8 years, 5 months ago

You were right when you said they will be greatly missed. Everyone knew who Ben and Jake were. There smiles could light up a room and Ben had such a unique laugh you couldn't miss it I could always pick it out in a room full of people. It sucks to lose someone close to you, but we had to lose two great people on the same night. Everytime I come back to this website I start to cry again. It's hard to read about it, but to look at the pictures and know that you will never get to see them smile, or laugh, or just have a conversation with them again hurts. Ben and Jake I love both of you guys and I will miss both of you so much. I will always remember you guys and all the fun times we shared you both could always make me laugh.

sarah_hunter 8 years, 5 months ago

We got the phone call around 5 this morning. My brother was their best friend and in-turn, they were like brothers to me(regardless of the teasing). I cannot keep my composure and i cry every time I read your comments or every couple of minutes when the phone rings. Ben and Jake were great boys and came from wonderful/loving families. This all just seems so surreal. No one deserves to die so young. And I wish that no one would ever have to go through the pain of loosing a friend or loved one. I just keep thinking that I'll see them again, walking through the front door and telling everyone in my family hello, talking a laughing up a storm.

Tongie has been through so much. Adam died in a car accident a couple years back, Rory's little brother, Chase from McLouth died in a 4 wheeler accident last weekend, and now Jakie and Ben. :'(

A candle light ceremony will be held tomorrow at the park in Tongie. I dont know what time yet but I will re-post when I find out. Please give the families and friends all of your love and support. I want to do something for the mothers, if you are interested, please contact me at: sarah_hunter_e@yahoo.com.

BlondeTiger 8 years, 5 months ago

I've known Jake's family for a few years and they are very good people that didn't need this. It was hard to wake up this morning and keep my day going after this news. My heart and love goes out to all families of the ones involved. This is hard on eveyone who knew these gentlemen. Kara

adky 8 years, 5 months ago

Mike - driving in our country is a privilige. I think that privilige should be restricted, in the same way that I think that under 16's shouldn't be able to drive on our highways. It is a safety issue.

God Bless all involved.

Tonganoxie2 8 years, 5 months ago

Ben and Jake were both wonderful people and it is a tradgedy that we all lost both of them in the same night. Dispite their decisions previous to the accident, I continue and will always continue to remember the wonderful people they both were. They were before the accident as they always were... enjoying life and having a fun time. I love them and miss them greatly. Losing 3 friends in a matter of 2 weeks is something that I never thought I would have to deal with. Losing Ryan was hard enough, now the loss of Jake and Ben on top of that is almost to overwhelming. This huge loss is something that everyone whos lives the guys touched will have to overcome. I know that they are in a better place and we will all see them again someday.

I love you guys and miss you greatly and I will see you in heaven. My thoughts and prayers are not only with you but for your loved ones as well. RIP Ben and Jake.
Love always Aubrey and Ashlee M

BriarFox 8 years, 5 months ago

We have six children three boys three girls. One of our son's has had multiple DUI's and it just kills us. I have had two of my family members killed by a drunk driver one three years old and one five months old. People can point fingers and say nasty things but familys, friends, and the truck driver will be changed forever. The communitys must surround these familys and give them love and support because it just may happen to you one day and how would you or your family want to be treated? So many times on this forum I have seen people be so mean and vile. You are the people that will never be happy or satisfied.

Confrontation 8 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts are with all of you who lost these young men. I have a brother this age, and I would be devastated if something were to happen to him. We have all taken chances, and it's horrible that a bit of fun turned into such a tragedy. Remember the good times and share your thoughts and feelings as much as you can. Don't go at this alone.

OfficeGirl 8 years, 5 months ago

Regardless of whether they were driving agressively, flirting with someone in another car, etc, 2 young men have forever lost the opportunity to have wives, children, lives. They are OK now though. The ones to worry about and provide comfort to are the ones left behind. The parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, etc, who now have to figure out a way to be able to move forward with their own lives without their loved ones. As one who knows, losing a child, regardless of their age or how they are taken from you, is the single most difficult thing to survive. We aren't supposed to bury our children. You are forever changed. The families of these young men need absolutely all of the support that the community can give them. My prayers are with all of you.

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

It is truly tragic when two young people are lost no matter what the circumstances or who was at fault. It is a painful reminder of our mortality, of all the 'near-misses' and 'what-ifs' in life.

My two closest friends were killed in a car accident while on a road trip. I was supposed to go with them but had to cancel at the last minute, and I can still remember the shock when I heard the news. That experience had a profound effect on me. It forced me to examine my life, values, goals, and priorities; and it wasn't just me but every one of their friends, and they had alot of friends.

That loss and the other losses that were to come in my life changed me, I hope for the better. But there is little doubt that I am a different person because I knew them in life and I saw how fragile life can be. I won't bore you with the details of how I changed, it is enough to say certain people and activities that were important before just weren't anymore, and vice versa.

To all of you who were personally touched by this loss, you have my most heartfelt condolences. You also have my sincerest hope that you can find some way to use this loss so that your own life becomes richer, fuller, and more meaningful. I am sure my two friends, Steve and Pauly (hey guys), would have wanted it this for me and our friends. From what I have read Benjamin and Jacob would have wanted it this way for you as well.

girlcalleddino 8 years, 5 months ago

I am the stepmother of a young woman who had the wonderful chance to be in a loving relationship with Ben for quite some time. During this time my family and I were very lucky to get to know Ben on such a personal level. He is truly A GREAT PERSON, with such a loving heart and we are so sad that he is gone. He became like a family member to us and we were heartbroken when we learned that they broke up, but we always wished the best for him and thought of him often. He grew very close to my now 7 year old daughter who has a personal photo album full of pictures of Ben and her along with the rest of our family. She treasures this book now more than ever and unfortunately, she is crushed now because of this. To us, BECAUSE we love him- it doesn't matter how he left us, the fact is that he is gone and it doesnt change the feelings that we have for him and that we will always have for him. God Bless his mother and the prayers of the McLaughlin family are truly with you. Signed, Deena McLaughlin

jesspick 8 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for all those who have said kind words to our family. We are the family of Ben (Bobby) Pickert. He was the great kid that everyone remembers him to be. We need to keep both him and Jake in our minds and hearts forever.
Two boys lives have been taken at the young age of 21. My brother-in-law will never know his nephews or the children he was intended to have. My husband has lost his sibling for life. A mother has lost her pride and joy son. She worked her tail off for him and he appreciated every minute of her time. That is what we need to remember when we write things on this wall. They were two boys having a great time! We have all made those mistakes that we wish we wouldn't have. It is a shame that two GREAT kids had to end up like this. So thank you!!! Place us in your prayers for months to come because we have to deal with this for the rest of our lives.
Put Ben and Jake in your minds and prayers too!! For they will miss out on all the beautiful things that life holds. That is what life is all about!! Ben once told me "I don't want to move out, because I don't want to leave my mother at home all alone." What 21 year old boy says this. That is the true person that Ben was.

Berserk 8 years, 5 months ago

It is a travesty to bear witness to such an event, when many of us have had our own such experiences, but lived to feel fortunate and regret it later.

We have all been there, those of us who can still be here today all feel guilty that it had to happen to those two. Loosing children is probably the worst thing to happen to a family. I hope they have a grand and glorious life celebration / wake to celebrate those they loved.

Godspeed

Berserk

mommaseeta1 8 years, 5 months ago

Jacob had a half brother and two half sisters that not many of his friends knew about, They were just getting to know one another. Names are Richard, Rachael and Amanda. They will miss him, and what was to be, my heart is with the mother, I am the mother of the other ones.

ttongie 8 years, 5 months ago

I just want to say that Ben and Jake were friends of mine they were both happy go lucky kind a guys good friends to have.. good people to know. I am sad that they have left us and I will never forget them.. I want to say to their parents hats off to u for raising such good men u did good be proud of your boys 4 the town of tonganoxie is proud to have known them.....

rosie 8 years, 5 months ago

This is such a tragic story. I feel so sad for the family and friends of these two boys. After reading all the wonderful comments about these two young men I'm sure they will be greatly missed. I saw the earlier post about deer possibly causing this accident. I know this is a real possibility because I personally saw a group of at least 8 deer at that location around 1:00 a.m. one evening coming home from a party. My thoughts and prayers are with all.

atwelleric 8 years, 5 months ago

I give my condolences to the family and friends of Jake and Ben. These two boys were great people. I am very stunned by this news as anyone is. I will keep all of you in my prayers and may God give you strength and comfort through this difficult time. If you are in need of anything please feel free to contact me at (785)865-7318 or email me at eatwell@ispmonsters.com May God help you.

bizarre 8 years, 5 months ago

God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

From the Hour of Trial

Should thy mercy send me sorrow, toil and woe,

Or should pain attend me, on my path below.

Grant that I may never fail thy hand to see,

Grant that I may ever, cast my cares on thee.

By James Montgomery.

tcoffin 8 years, 5 months ago

My heart goes out to these families. We buried our son Chase on Tuesday and until you go through this as a parent, you really have no idea the pain involved. Our other children are hurting losing their brother, but losing a child is a parent's worst nightmare. These families will need a lot of love and support. God be with you all.

madness4x4 8 years, 5 months ago

My brother and I are going to miss Ben and Jake alot. Ben was a very good friend. I have alot of happy memories. My prayers go out to the families of both of you guys. I also want to tell Josh to stay strong. I know how close you guys were. Thanks to Deena for your comment. And thanks to the guys at Cheeseburger in Paradise where Ben worked. They gave a kick ass toast to Ben tonight.

b_asinbeer 8 years, 5 months ago

Truly a terrible incident to have occurred. Hope that this type of news will spread, so that other lives can be saved.

sarah_hunter 8 years, 5 months ago

to madness4x4.

thank you for thinking about Josh, I had the pleasure of meeting Bens mother tonight and she was so worried about him. like I said tonight with her....they had a code language. Josh and Ben.....they understood each other completely....two pieces of a puzzle that fit perfectly. but I know that Osami Ben Pickert would want everyone to be happy. he was the most unselfish person i have ever met......even in the midst of a perfect stanger, he would put their feelings above his own. I miss my big brothers....

I hope to see everyone at the candle light ceremony tomorrow night at Ch. Park around 8:30 / 8:45

" wuz upt chup? "

mandijean 8 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe this has really happened! I grew up with Ben and Jake. I am so fortunate to know these two wonderful men. Ben and I sure did have our times but I will never forget all of the joy that he brought to me and my family. I am so greatful for all the things Ben has done for me, and all the joy he has brought to others.

I also want to tell Jacque and his family that I am so sorry for her loss. She is such a wonderful woman and cared so much for for Ben. He loved her so much and never wanted to upset her. I will never forget when me and Ben went shopping for his moms Christmas present, and he sat for hours trying to wrap it and he didn't want any help from. SO finally he got so aggervated he wadded the paper in a ball around the present and placed little ribbons all over it was the funnest looking wrapping job I have ever seen.

Well all my prayers are out to Ben and Jake, and all the family and friends for the horrible loss of the two most easygoing, funny men I have ever known. My heart breaks for them and I will never forget them,, and they will ALWAYS be in my heart.

Love, Amanda McLaughlin

P.s. we love you bosch!!!

Missy Rome 8 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

Missy

BriarFox 8 years, 5 months ago

DownHomeDude, You need to go get a "real" job these truck drives are on a schedule and with gas prices they need to get where they going. Do you live in a hole? tractor trailers drive down Iowa st. ALL the time! Day and night. You love to cause trouble to make yourself real big. I suggest Bert & Nash. My dad was a truck driver for a very long time, yet he paid for us to go to college. GOD FORBID these kids Parents read this forum!! If they do I bet it will make you feel like a man, but it won't. You'll be yet another person no one pays attention to

BriarFox 8 years, 5 months ago

kato829 8 years, 5 months ago

God's Speed Ben and Jake. You two are truly a gift that wil be sorely missed. May God give the familes the strenght to endure, and bless them. The what-ifs of this tragedy are small compared to the profound saddeness in this community this morning. We will miss them stopping by the house and their jokes. Josh, you and Shann can find strenght in this together. You will always be a part of this family. God bless any and everyone who has been touched by the good hearts of these boys. R.I.P. Ben and Jake, we love you. Steve, Wendee and family

jpeach 8 years, 5 months ago

My heart goes out to the families, I lost two friends during my senior year in high school when they lost control of their car. I know its not easy to deal with from the side of a friend or family. Find strength in all the support, love, and careing people around you.

Michael Birch 8 years, 5 months ago

So why was there a semi driving through

town instead of using the truck route

at 2:00 am? At 2:00 am, its fairly

obvious that he wasn't making a

delivery. If that semi hadn't been

there, there would have been an auto

accident but I seriously doubt that it

would have been a fatality. The semi

was the cause of the accident and that

is the bottom line! I don't care what

LPD has to say about the accident or

anything else as they are nothing but a

large group of worthless fools!

DHD

lianne 8 years, 5 months ago

It would be nice if the people on here bickering about the circumstances would take their feelings to an online forum, and not on the article that Ben and Jake's families and friends now look at on a daily basis. Try www.larryville.com to vent your anger to all of Lawrence and try to be a little more respectful.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

why can I post on this article but not on the one from yesterday? no matter still sad did not lnow them but they where so young it can only make your heart hurt

barelygettingby 8 years, 5 months ago

lianne 8 years, 5 months ago

Observer, I have read the rules, have some respect.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 5 months ago

so why can i not post on the other site? any one? just unfair censurship? sp???

LordNikon 8 years, 4 months ago

I didn't know jake all that well but Ben and my brother were the best of friends. I dont really know what to say i mean i have know Ben since we have moved to tongie. That was 9yrs ago. When my brother got the call about the wreck he called us right away. My mom came downstairs that next morning and i knew somthing was wrong i could hear her sniffling. When she told me my heart just dropped. I didn't know how to respond i was just speechless. Later on that day my brohter came over and soon as he walked in the door he gave my mom the biggest huge and started to cry. Then i just lost it i cryed the rest of the day. As my brohter and mom were talking my brother had started to talk about when Ben and him would get up the next day and get ready to go work at BNJ Country Mart. When he started talking about it brought back so many memories cuase i stayed at Bens house a few nights with my brohter. Those were the best times when i was a yonger kid. Its like a baddream but it wasnt. It was very real. As for Bens family u will always be in our hearts and prayes WE LOVE U BEN AND JAKE........RIP GUYS

Love. JOEL HARNDEN