Archive for Thursday, July 6, 2006

Next Hereford House could be in by fall

July 6, 2006

Hereford House is done in Lawrence, but its next incarnation could be back in town by fall.

Rod Anderson, whose Anderson Restaurant Group last week closed its Hereford House location at Sixth Street and Wakarusa Drive in Lawrence, said Wednesday that he was in discussions with three parties - none from Lawrence - for using the two-level space at the northwestern edge of Wakarusa Crossroads Centre.

Among the contenders: a Hereford House Bar & Tables concept, featuring less steak and more chicken, shrimp and other "everyday" foods that would appeal to casual diners, Anderson said. The first Bar & Tables restaurant already is under construction in Shawnee.

Anderson has four years left on his lease in Lawrence, a 17,000-square-foot storefront that he initially had hoped would feed off the city's westward expansion - growth that ended up being slow to materialize.

"We went from being two years early to seven years early," Anderson said. "The bottom line is my partners in the Anderson Restaurant Group no longer wanted to fund that restaurant, so the option is to try to move it into a different group and a different partnership."

The Jayhawk Breakfast Rotary Club canceled its meeting that had been scheduled for this morning at the restaurant. Others with questions about use of the building may contact the restaurant group at (816) 842-8718.

Comments

lunacydetector 9 years ago

it's too bad some of the powers that be don't own a business (the exception being amyx). then they would know how their decisions have profound affects on a person's livelyhood. no wonder lawrence is shrinking. we need some leaders who can heat things up and make things happen that will benefit everyone, and not just the downtown, but everywhere in our city.

growth is a GOOD thing. leaders need to be decisive not divisive and inclusive not exclusive. trying to keep out walmart accomplished nothing, zero, nada -except they made some lawyers richer. overall our leaders hurt businesses. they certainly don't help businesses.

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

the menu they had was great. prices were probably higher than they should've been. lower prices=more traffic. hope they return.

Wilbur_Nether 9 years ago

How will the new restaurant ever be successful with the smoking ban still in place, I want to know?

Ken Miller 9 years ago

Not sure about this at all. The place was too big, paid too much in rent - and they want to turn it into a shrimp and chicken hut? Look, I'm not going to characterize the Walmart shopper as a slob, but do they think a major downscale for that space is going to make it profitable?

GSWtotheheart 9 years ago

ljlook 9 years ago

Posted by offtotheright: "Lawrence really does suffer in the 'good restaurant' choices!"

It's a college town. Maybe you should move to Johnson County.

Posted by GSWtotheheart: "never ate there, prices listed on website menu turned me off don't think I'm sorry to see it go maybe we can put in a House of Chicken and Waffles that I would try"

The punctuation from the website menu probably threw you off a little. Easy mistake.

Wilbur_Nether 9 years ago

Well, offtotheright, let this be a lesson to you.

What that lesson is, I have no idea. But it should be one, nonetheless.

dthroat 9 years ago

OK, I have a REAL problem with ljlook. I live here- used to be a college student many many years ago - and now can enjoy eating at a good restaurant when I want to. Why exactly should I have to move to Johnson County to do that???? And, I shouldn't have to drive to Kansas City like I have done for years to do that.

I understand people didn't like the prices in this town and maybe it was bad business for them to come here when they did, but DO NOT suggest I should have to leave town to have a decent quality meal in a place that serves more than burgers, beer, and wings. I resent that.

Lawrence is more that just a "college town".

Godot 9 years ago

I will be entertaining a friend from a big city down south later this month. She is a vegetarian. Where should we go?

Wilbur_Nether 9 years ago

There is a tapas restaurant just south of 10th Str. on Mass; I don't recall the name but I've had good luck there. I have also had good veggie sushi at Wa. Finally, there is an Indian restaurant at 15th & Kasold, again the name escapes me, where I've had some really good masala dosa.

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

Godot: try "Mad Greek" very fine veg menu items. other stuff good too and prices reasonable.

bearded_gnome 9 years ago

Their speculation on reopening w/less steak and more chicken/fish...SUCKS! bad bad idea. c'mon, just open w/less overhead, lower prices...would do very well.

Wilbur_Nether 9 years ago

"OK, I have a REAL problem with ljlook."

I, on the other hand, have no problem at all with ljlook. I simply disagree with ljlook's position on these issues.