Archive for Thursday, July 6, 2006

City, bars to talk about safety issues with public

July 6, 2006

City leaders will meet next week with representatives of downtown bars and other members of the public to discuss safety concerns.

The meeting will be at 5:30 p.m. Monday at City Hall, Sixth and Massachusetts streets.

City commissioners previously had asked staff members to arrange a meeting after several high-profile incidents of nightlife violence occurred downtown, including a shooting that killed one man and left another injured.

The meeting will include a discussion of several options presented to city commissioners last month. Those include the use of surveillance cameras mounted on downtown light poles and additional licensing requirements for entertainment establishments.

Comments

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 9 months ago

Um, judging by my frat-boy neighbors, they can start drinking at 2PM. I could start drinking at 3:30 when I get off work if I wanted to.

Seriously tho- There is an early crowd of (mostly) blue collar folks who go have a beer after work and go home by 9. The bars don't get the late crowd/college age 'til 10 or 11PM. Certainly most people could, and would, go out earlier than that if bars closed earlier. It might cut down a bit on the KC/Topeka crowd, but don't know if it'd be significant.

If someone is illegally carrying a weapon into a bar, and the bar staff/security finds it, wouldn't they call the police rather than let the person go on their merry way? I'lll have to ask my friendly neighborhood bartender about that next time I'm out.

jafs 7 years, 9 months ago

I am not at all convinced that you are right, dulcinea. If bars/clubs closed at midnight, I believe that Lawrence would be a less attractive destination for the various out-of-town folks who seem to come here armed and ready for a fight. Also, how early can people start drinking? And, there's quite a difference in the number of people as well as the composition of the crowd earlier and later in the evening. More security will not help unless they are empowered to confiscate weapons and not return them. Otherwise, people will simply walk out onto the street, regain their weapons, and get into violent confrontations there.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

Yes, in most bars that is true. But the bigger places like Abe & Jakes with multiple levels, need to have more staff to watch the people. I guess I am going off what I have heard about Last Call. I have never been mind you, because I value my life and frankly don't care for that kind of music or crowd. But I have gone to most others in town at one time or another. The stories I hear is there is an upstairs "VIP" lounge were some people gather to do illegal drugs and such. Now if that is allowed and the patrons know this, then what to prevent the rest to pay attention to the rules if others are allowed to break them?

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 9 months ago

[quote]The bars need to train and hire more staff to deal with their patrons. They can't let the "regulars" get way with inappropriate behavior and expect the rest of their customers follow rules.[/quote]

I worry, tho, that bars will be forced to hire more staff... maybe the larger venues need it but some don't. The bars I frequent have the regular door guys & that's about all they need to take care of the occassional drunken arse who throws a pool ball or if someone's trying to pick a fight.

reginafliangie 7 years, 9 months ago

It isn't about closing times. Although I don't understand while Last Call needs to stay open later than all the rest. It's that bar thats doing the most damage with this whole issue. The bars need to train and hire more staff to deal with their patrons. They can't let the "regulars" get way with inappropriate behavior and expect the rest of their customers follow rules. I also think letting people who aren't of age to drink into the bars also causes an issue. Why is it ok to let 18yos into bars, just as long as they don't drink? Do the bars really think putting a stamp on their hand or a paper wrist bracelet is really going to stop them from getting the alcohol? I know, I know, they will get it anyway, right? That maybe so, but let them do it on private property or what have you. At least it's not in the hands of the bar owners who have to take responsiblitly for everyone in their establishment. Then maybe the over population of the bar seen can be filled with of age drinkers, that, in my opinion at least behave a little more maturity. The people that are causing most of these problems, if you recal, aren't even 21 yet.

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 9 months ago

jafs- I'm telling you, if bars close earlier, people will just go out and start drinking earlier. Any violent incidents will either take place earlier, or be moved to residential areas if people have more house-parties after the bars close.

jafs 7 years, 9 months ago

I will continue to advocate for earlier closing times.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

See, what you can do is INTELLIGENTLY establish a zero-tolerance policy for the ENTERTANMENT DISTRICT..........

oh wait

I mean a spongy, touchy-feely, looney-leftie policy for the AREA OF THE VISION..................................

uh.....................................................................