Archive for Saturday, July 1, 2006

Convicted killer Tasered, tackled as jurors watch

July 1, 2006


— As jurors looked on, convicted killer Gregory Moore was stunned by a Taser and tackled to the floor of the courtroom Friday, following an outburst during the sentencing phase of his trial.

The disturbance came as Assistant Atty. Gen. Steve Maxwell was questioning psychiatrist William Logan about Moore's wife, Gwen Moore. She died of cancer in 1997.

Moore started shouting, "Leave my wife alone! Leave my wife alone!" Footage of the incident showed deputies restraining him on the courtroom floor.

Jurors were sent home for the day; the trial will resume Wednesday. Sedgwick County District Judge David Kennedy decided not to order a mistrial, which the defense had requested.

Moore was convicted Wednesday of capital murder in the April 2005 murder of Harvey County Sheriff's Deputy Kurt Ford, 38. He also was convicted of four counts of attempted capital murder, one count of aggravated kidnapping and one count of criminal possession of a firearm in the shootout that followed a domestic violence call at his home.

Friday's disturbance was captured by a television camera in the courtroom that was covering the capital murder trial of the man accused of killing a Harvey County sheriff's deputy.

Courtroom spectators were asked to fill out witness statements regarding the incident.

A day earlier, 20-year-old Sarah Moore and her 17-year-old sister, Desirae, had pleaded for jurors to spare their father's life. Moore's daughters were in the courtroom Friday.

On Thursday, the daughters testified that they saw their father mired in an emotional spiral for years before he killed Ford and wounded Hesston police Detective Chris Eilert during the all-night standoff in 2005. When Moore was drunk or high, his daughters said, he could be violent.

"He was awesome when he doesn't drink," Desirae told the jury.

At one point, the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services had removed the girls from the home.

A Topeka psychologist said post-traumatic stress disorder could have played a role in the shootout. Clinical psychologist George Athey testified that Moore began showing signs of struggling with life after he was shot in 1978. Moore, serving as a military policeman in the Army, tried to break up a fight outside a bar. A soldier shot Moore in the stomach.

"He would dream of getting shot again," Athey said. "He couldn't feel it, but he would die."

The case was moved to Wichita for trial before Sedgwick County District Judge David Kennedy because the judges in Harvey County knew Ford. Jurors deliberated less than four hours before reaching a verdict.


Michael Birch 11 years, 7 months ago

Damn, they tasered him! I would have like to have seen that! DHD

Commenting has been disabled for this item.