Archive for Sunday, January 29, 2006

Lawrence man dies in U.S. 24 wreck

January 29, 2006

A Lawrence man died Saturday morning when his truck struck a pole and flipped over on U.S. Highway 24.

According to a Highway Patrol report, Steven Haight, 36, was driving west on the highway about five miles east of Lawrence when he lost control on a turn.

Haight, who was driving a 1992 Dodge truck, then pulled onto the grass shoulder and eventually struck a utility pole around 3 a.m. Saturday, according to the report.

Haight was not wearing a seat belt.

The accident knocked power out in parts of west Lawrence Saturday, according to Lawrence Police, including areas of Kasold Drive near Bob Billings Parkway.

Power had been restored by late Saturday morning.

Comments

moosejeffries 8 years, 7 months ago

how can you crash your truck 5 miles east of town on 24 hiway and have the power go out on kasold drive will somone tell me........

adky 8 years, 7 months ago

Some weird wiring routes there!

mztrendy 8 years, 7 months ago

yeah i don't know if I buy that. Thats an awful long way away. I do know that Perry and Williamstown electricity was off for about 5 hours.

LawrenceMommy 8 years, 7 months ago

I should have read the comments first because I re-read that 3 times trying to figure out how he could have knocked out power completely across town. Typo, maybe?

lizzyp13 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh my goodness people, the man passed away! "So, like my power went out and I like totally couldn't dry my hair." If it happened it happened, and if it's a typo get over it. Show some respect please!

lv2ride 8 years, 7 months ago

good point!! I agree lizzyp13!!!!

People get so carried away with nit picking!!!! Who cares about the dang power!!!

Chrissy Neibarger 8 years, 7 months ago

a great, caring, generous, kind man died leaving behind a wife and two small children and many, many grieving friends. so get over your temporary loss of electricity. nobody cares.

planetwax 8 years, 7 months ago

My heart goes out to those he left behind.

I know his kids and his wife. This is a terrible tragedy and I'm still in shock about it.

FYI: I was told that he was very responsible and was wearing his seatbelt. It isn't known if he swerved to miss an animal or fell asleep. I know from driving that road that it is easy to drive too fast and lose control.

I hope his wife and kids can find the courage to accept and continue to live life to it's fullest. This man clearly touched many lives.

I am deeply sorry.