Archive for Friday, January 27, 2006

Supporters rally behind crossing guard

January 27, 2006

A group of parents and children at Prairie Park Elementary held a rally this afternoon in support of a crossing guard who says she was told recently that she should stop waving at passing drivers.

"You've got friendliness under fire here," said Dawn Thompson, a Prairie Park parent. "It's crazy."

A citizen called the city on Thursday to complain that 62-year-old crossing guard Sharon White's waving was too distracting for drivers. White who's known in the Prairie Park neighborhood for waving at virtually every car that passes said her supervisor then informed her it would be best if she didn't wave.

Word began circulating Thursday around the school, prompting Thompson and other parents to hold a rally this afternoon at 28th Street and Kensington Road, where White helps children cross the street. About 20 parents and 35 children, some shouting "Save the Wave," shouted, held signs and waved at passing motorists.

White, however, didn't wave at drivers. She said she would follow the instructions from her supervisor.

For more on this story, see the 6News reports at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband's channel 6 and pick up a copy of Saturday's Journal-World.

Comments

kansasnative 8 years, 11 months ago

It's a sad sad day for this world when a friendly gesture comes underfire. I do hope the "supervisor" re-cants this decision not to be friendly to motorists and wave to cars. Road rage is OUT of control - and now FRIENDLINESS is OUT of control? If you don't want to wave back - DON'T! What next - geesh. Mrs. White - don't change who you are for the selfishness of one bitter person. It's just not right and I hope that all of Lawrence will wave at EVERYONE in a random act of kindness. Why can't we all just get along? Mrs. White has been a bright spot on Kensington Rd. this year with a beautiful smile and a friendly wave every school day - she loves our kids and is just an all around amazing human. This has to be devestating to her. I'm going to wave - even if you can't.

jcsmom 8 years, 11 months ago

My son's goes to Prairie Park and I LOVE seeing the wave and a friendly smile every morning. I knew that something was up when I didn't get a wave back with the smile. It made my day every morning.

SAVE THE WAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More than likely who ever complained is just some bitter person who doesn't like a little friendliness to start their day.

jcsmom 8 years, 11 months ago

Another thing if they are going to make her not wave anymore then they need to tell the employees at Liberty Tax Service to quit as well.

sd123 8 years, 11 months ago

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~save the wave~~~~~~~~~~~

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

Another salvo fired against freedom from Gulag 497.

sd123 8 years, 11 months ago

jcsmom, how about all the business' that have costumed "pizzas, hotdogs", and whatever else out on street corners "waving" up business? Or the street corner people holding up signs saying "homeless, will work for food., Homeless, need money." or the firemen collecting money in their rubber boots. The list goes on. I say either let the lady give a good morning wave or else all types of street corner messagers should be ordered to "stop distracting traffic." Holy beJesus what a batch of grumpy butts!!!

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

This unconstitutional prohibition of free speech comes on the same day that we learn that 497 is turning children into the DA for prosecution for even one truancy. Combine that with mandatory breathalyzers at school dances, and multitudes of security cameras that monitor all the activities of our students.....

Gulag 497 it is.

coolmom 8 years, 11 months ago

i think that it is awesome that this crossing gaurd is so friendly and everyone loves her however do you think it is possible that if you didnt know it was a tradition you could mistake the wave for something else? if someone got hurt because the wave was misunderstood???just playing the other side of the fence for a moment i do think people are less friendly etc but we cant count on every driver to have common sense can we?

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

I would hope that people could see the problem with waving while directing traffic. I've never seen this lady, and luckily I avoid most school traffic. However, it seems like a safety thing to me. Would we want an officer who directs traffic after a KU game waving at cars? Seems confusing. Stop. Wave. No wait, I meant "hi" not "go." She can give a friendly smile, but she should really be focusing on the traffic and not greeting those who drive by every morning. We don't want the little annoying kiddies to get hit now, do we?

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

A hand waving side to side means, "hello." What is confusing about that?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Well, it's nice to know that the Journal-World isn't the only one that flies off the deep end whenever some idiot complains that something offends them...

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

At least she didn't have a balloon tied to her head. That would have been cause for a fine.

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 11 months ago

Wave not waive, and I think if everyone waved and smiled at each other this would be a much better world. Thank you, Lynn

ksmattfish 8 years, 11 months ago

When they outlaw waving, only outlaws will wave.

Stick it to the man, wave hello to your neighbor!

kansasnative 8 years, 11 months ago

If a friendly gesture is such a distraction, then you need to rethink your qualifications as a licensed driver. Do cones in construction areas throw you for a loop? How about detour signs, traffic cops? Do you have children in the back of your car screaming - that's not a distraction at all.....can you still drive???!!! Are you the one talking on your cell phone while you are driving? How about the marquee at the Lied Center - does that distract you? Emergency vehicle lights that sneak up behind you - ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE and way too distracting. Come on people, let's get to the meat of the subject - your bad day should NEVER be ruined by a friendly neighborhood crossing guard that is waving on the side of the road with a smile.

teach1reach1 8 years, 11 months ago

I have only seen her waving at us when she is waiting for kids to come cross the street, not while she is having us stop for kids to cross. I'm more concerned about the fact that she's the only guard...where the accident was around the corner sounds to me like it was over closer to the driver's entrance to the school. A spot with much less visibility...one that has a guard only a couple of times a year. I drive this route several times a day getting my kids to school and activities. I had no idea that waving was an unacceptable activity for a crossing guard until I read this article. That explains the signs I saw on the way home, and the lack of wave. I remember a big front page article in the LJW last year or so ago about how a crossing guard at the corner of 19th and Mass was so great and friendly by waving at people. Everyone sang that CG's praises, why pick on the Prairie Park CG for doing the same thing. It's just a little parade wave for gosh sakes, she's not flagging people down! You know she's there, it's not a surprise. Whoever the BAH HUMBUG is, get over it!

Rhoen 8 years, 11 months ago

Lawrence is in the batter's box for some more "interesting" national publicity. Look for this one in an upcoming edition of "News of the Weird."

But is it possible that this is simply another element in a well-defined plan to curb excess growth in this city with a sophisticated disinformation campaign?

I recall something similar was done in Oregon in the 70's when too many disenchanted California hippies started moving there in droves. Among other tactics, Oregon began claiming it's state bird was the mosquito.

If that's what's going on, well OK.

kansasnative 8 years, 11 months ago

Save The Whales - let her know which car is yours and I promise she won't wave at you. That should answer your question?! If she wasn't the sweet person that she is, she would PROBABLY laugh at you.....I would.

Excessive waving is defined as WHAT?! Standing there doing absolutely nothing but waving as fast and furious as she can without stopping for 45 minutes? THAT is excessive and THAT is NOT what she does.

Like I said, be sure to let her know who you are and she will just turn her back on you but only if it is safe to do so.

dgarrison 8 years, 11 months ago

To cool mom's comment... Actually, we DO need to count on every driver to have "common sense". If a driver doesn't have common sense, then they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car. Save The Wave. And to "Save The Whales", perhaps we can just "waive" your comment in lieu of one that makes sense? Do you own a dictionary? Personally, I think this story deserves NATIONAL ATTENTION, and I plan to make sure it gets it. It's a sad day in America when a kindly woman can't wave hello without angering a poster boy for road rage. Give us a break! With so much else in this cruel world to worry about, why not sit back and enjoy the simple pleasures of life? God help you if something this sweet makes you angry. God help you.

moron 8 years, 11 months ago

Rhoen.... what are you talking about and how does it remotely relate to the crossing guard story?

Obviously, you're one of those brain-fried, weed-smoking, STD inflicted hippies you mention.

Thanks.

Moron.

kansasnative 8 years, 11 months ago

Save the Whales - Are you STALKING HER? I mean do you sit at the street corner and watch her to have PROOF that she waves at EVERYONE? You can't back that up - There are many mornings she doesn't wave at me because she is maybe watching kids approach her or maybe she just doesn't feel like it. I am not personally offended by that either. I am more concerned about you being on the road now than I am construction cones. - Move to another neighborhood if a wave is ruining your life. Not only that she is EMPLOYED during busy times - she doesn't stand there all day but she IS doing her job. If she wasn't - I guarantee you there would be much more serious things to worry about than waving. You scare me.

sweetpeagj 8 years, 11 months ago

How much sillier and anal can people get about others wanting to be friendly? We all can put an ugly spin on anything we see daily. This woman loves her job, her life, and those kids. Give her a break..No accidents have been caused because someone was nice. Hell, I am sure all you grumpy butts are the same morons that drive with the cell phone shoved to your ear, fixing your hair or makeup, all on the drive to wherever it is your going. You should be mad at whoever p* in your cherrios instead of a woman brightening someone's day.

dgarrison 8 years, 11 months ago

Just a theory...but do you suppose this angry driver was distracted by something totally unrelated to the crossing guard on THAT particular morning? Maybe his cell phone rang, or maybe he spilled his coffee, etc. Then, being in a "rage" over that already, the crossing guard may have waved at him at that precise moment. Maybe he just needed someone to blame, to divert himself from that mirror reflection of himself... Just a thought. Just a theory. But the fact remains, what sane person throws a fit over a kind, elderly lady waving hello? Geeze.

moron 8 years, 11 months ago

sweetpeagj--- I've tried milk in cheerios even beer in cheerios, but never p*** in cheerios? I'll have to give that a try now, too. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks.

Moron.

kansasnative 8 years, 11 months ago

I personally can do 2 things at a time. Drive cautiously and wave momentarily. YES, I think she should wave at whomever, whenever she chooses and I guarantee you that she chooses to do so when it is safe - on the side of the road out of the way - kids safely where they need to be and not causing any accidents. She is a CROSSING GUARD not a driver's ed teacher. She isn't paid to make sure YOU don't wreck, she is paid to make sure you don't hit her children. I don't talk on cell phones while I am driving. Enough said - just get over yourself and become human. Don't wave at her if it bothers you so much - watch the road, mind your own business and quit ruining other good people's days. Are you distracted by the Little Ceasers Pizza Guy too? Wait, don't answer that.

dgarrison 8 years, 11 months ago

Save The Whales, maybe you're not the only one in the forum taking that stance, but you ARE in the vast, vast, vast minority here. Good grief! You're related to Mr. Rage aren't you? Are you his Mom... Dad... Sister, Brother, Psychiatrist?....Anger Management Professor?... Your overt personal interest in this matter and pugnacious attitude speak volumes. The bottom line remains the same. A kind, elderly lady minding her own business, performing her job, being friendly, is being attacked for no reason that can be understood by the typical American. You ARE American aren't you? ~~Waving Goodbye~~ dg

Sigmund 8 years, 11 months ago

Posted by Godot, Crossing guards have signs that say "stop." When the "stop" sign comes down, that means "go." A hand waving side to side means, "hello." What is confusing about that?

Wow, when you think about it its really not all that confusing! ROFLMAO

dgarrison 8 years, 11 months ago

You guys don't vote on that thing up there because I just KNOW that if we raise our hands to vote it will make Save The Whales mad because it may be interpreted as a wave. Or even a "waive". It will tick them off I just know it. So, STW, how shall we vote on this instead? Just count the comments "for" and the comments "against" maybe? And of course, you can't vote twice... Let's see...I count, ....1,2,3,4,....about a dozen or so "FOR". Now, let's see, I count, 1, 2, is that 3?...Maybe 3, one non-commital... Um..we win. By a landslide. Or a tidal wave even.

hawkeyes 8 years, 11 months ago

SAVE THE WAVE!

Lawrence Schools better call DeSoto School system and tell THEM to stop waving also. It must be a requirement that they wave there and the KIDS LOVE IT!

Distracting? Give me a break. Perhaps the parents that complain about this need to be taking the Ritalin and get over it.

carebear 8 years, 11 months ago

Is it so bad in this town that someone has to complain about a sweet innocent lady that brightens everyones day like Sharon White. I drive by every morning and wave at her. Their should be more people in town with that positive feeling!! Someone that complained about her had too much time on their hands to grip about something so little as a hand wave. Maybe that person that complained should look in the mirror and reflect on what kind of person they are. If we have to we should take this to a KC station and report this as well. Its bad enough that the so called complainer did not want their picture on the news so we could see who this was. Shame on the negative people of this town! We love you Sharon White!!!!

dgarrison 8 years, 11 months ago

The complainer didn't want to be seen because he just wants to remain a "John" Doe I guess... So sad that he makes a big deal, but then won't show his face. Go figure.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 11 months ago

noticed that the complaint was made through the dreaded "traffic safety committee," the same boys and girls who give us roundabouts...hmmm maybe we put this friendly crossing guard off school hours, in the center of the worst roundabout to wave at all who pass--in the right direction that is?

what does it take for her to be a distraction!

whoever complained really needs some help!

SAVE THE WAVE!

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

Ah, yes, Merrill strikes again! All, Hail, Merrill, non-elected Hall Monitor of Lawrence! Let no one go unsupervised, or uncorrected, under his ever-observant vigil to suppress any expression of freedom in Lawrence.

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

If this super super duper nice lady is so obsessed with waving, isn't there a job at WalMart she can take? What about a smile? Can't that replace the wave? I came from a town where kids were smart enough to know when to cross the street, so we didn't have to have friendly wavers with stop signs. Seriously though, I do think she serves a very good purpose, but she doesn't need to wave at everyone. Just smile.

Jamesaust 8 years, 11 months ago

uhhh....isn't this just like the 'distracting' balloons on Iowa St.?

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

SAVE_THE_WHALES_INSTEAD gets the prize for the * of the year, first for making a complaint with the goal of stifling an open and free expression of friendliness and community, and, second, for fraudently posing as a third party supporting your own totally **position on a public forum.

That is quite an honor, considering it is only 29 days into the new year.

Aiko 8 years, 11 months ago

Wow! hey Bob, you got this guy lite up like a Christmas Tree.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't think the monkey has a match...

badger 8 years, 11 months ago

STWI shouted:

"I AM CALLING THE LJ WORLD RIGHT NOW AND DEMAND THAT THEY SHUT THESE BLOGS DOWN BEFORE ANYMORE OF THIS B.S. IS POSTED BY PEOPLE LIKE BOB, OUT OF RESPECT FOR THE KIDS FAMILY."

Ain't your call, sweetcheeks. To put it in parlance you'll comprehend, "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF US!!!1!!!"

It's a public message board. You're being a loon. Unless you own the Journal World, you don't get to say who says what, or how long they can say it for.

You can take your toys and storm home, sugar-bunny (and I'd recommend it), but you don't get a say in who stays and plays.

By the way, bringing a dead child into a discussion as some sort of sick rationalization, before he's even in the ground, that counts for all new kinds of sick in my book. You have, in fact, come up with new and exciting ways to be a thoroughly reprehensible simulation of a person in my book.

P.S. Your caps lock is stuck. Perhaps you might look into that.

badger 8 years, 11 months ago

STWI, who is better than prime time TV, blathered:

"I am representing myself as Attorney Pro Se . I will be filing a petiton in court to obtain Lawrence Journal World online records involving slander and liable. You have been notified. JOHN SHOEMAKER"

Libel, dear.

Unless you're claiming we're responsible for you and thus...liable? Dear gods, I shudder to contemplate.

And pray do tell us, O Attorney Pro Se, how is anyone on this board slandering you? More to the point, how would you know?

badger 8 years, 11 months ago

Only one person posting here does, TOB.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 11 months ago

OMB, I would watch out, there can't be that many Bobs in Houston...oh wait, I've said too much.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 11 months ago

I might have capital letters flying at me at the speed of light!

Linda Aikins 8 years, 11 months ago

Shame on me for working and not being here sooner!

BobBadjaBob - well done.

MY NAME IS GOOTSIE AND I'M RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF WHATEVER

Aiko 8 years, 11 months ago

badger 8 years, 11 months ago

Who you callin 'we', kemo sabe?

I had the foresight to quote what I was replying to, so I just look like I'm quoting and responding to my imaginary friend.

That's totally better than you guys and your crazy talk.

...

IS SO!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 11 months ago

WOW MANN! waayy out!

just gonesville, sheesh.

think he's gone for perminent? more likely a moth to a flame...

RonBurgandy 8 years, 11 months ago

But how am I supposed to petition the ljw to get his personal information so i can sue him for comments made on a public forum?

badger 8 years, 11 months ago

waves arms mystically in front of RonBurgandy

"This is not the dork you are looking for..."

Why, he never existed in the first place, really.

You must be imagining things.

teach1reach1 8 years, 11 months ago

almost like one of those form letters you get as junk mail... Congratulations, ONE_MORE_BOB, you have been selected to win a brand new ROLL OF TOILET PAPER. As the best BOB in LAWRENCE, you also qualify for a free upgrade to a DOUBLE ROLL package. Not many people in KANSAS qualify for such a prize... You get the idea! No insults implied to you Bob, thought maybe you'd chuckle. Thanks.

teach1reach1 8 years, 11 months ago

Dang, I missed the comment from OMB. That's what I get for working...