Archive for Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sheriff’s officers honored

January 24, 2006

Two Douglas County Sheriff's officers who risked their lives to save others were honored today.

Patrol Deputies Adam Hoover and Jay Armbrister were recognized for their actions at the Boardwalk Apartment fire in October.

The two helped numerous people escape the deadly blaze.

Hoover received the Medal of Valor. Armbrister was awarded the Medal of Bravery, the second highest decoration awarded by the sheriff's department.

Comments

cowboy 8 years, 11 months ago

These are great guys ! Congrats & thanks

Amandak 8 years, 11 months ago

We are lucky to have these fine officers in our public service. Thank you gentleman for all you do!

sandrat7 8 years, 11 months ago

These ARE great guys, all of them. It's very nice to see them recognized publicly. Keep those drunks from sharing the road with me!

adky 8 years, 11 months ago

Honored by who?

Self promotion again......

ashultz 8 years, 11 months ago

adky: Self promotion...right. Q:How often do you think these officers get thanked on the streets? A: Never.

Q: How often do you think they get cussed at, spit on, screamed at, and generally berated? A: During most of their calls, by the press, and by people like you.

Being a police officer IS A THANKLESS JOB! I bet you'd change your tune if they came to your aid.

cutny 8 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure that spitting on a cop has its own set of ramifications, likewise, I'm sure they are thanked on a fairly regular basis. What job isn't a thankless ashultz? That being said, I'm honoring myself today for a job well-done. If you listen closely you'll hear the sound of one hand clapping.

ashultz 8 years, 11 months ago

Being the wife of a police officer, I do see how much the officers and their families sacrifice, and how often they aren't thanked.

I realize that being an officer is a choice. But, I would venture to guess that YOUR job isn't scrutinized quite as much as theirs.

Sigmund 8 years, 11 months ago

Congrats to all! These are very hard and often dangerous jobs done with courage and professionalism. Lawrence should consider itself lucky to have officers of this caliber within its ranks.

Ragingbear 8 years, 11 months ago

Law enforcement is great unless you live in a poor area of town. There was a guy assaulting a woman at my complex. I called the cops. One officer responded 12 minutes later. She was hiding, and the guy had taken off, so he didn't even bother to look around. Right after the cop left, the guy returned and continued to assault her. He was eventually arrested, in the act of kicking down her door. All of this was about 25 minutes after the first call.

You better believe that if it were one of the rich areas of town, they would send out the search and rescue squad for Missy, the poodle.

DGL 8 years, 11 months ago

These officers have made our community a better place. We owe them our thanks.

JHAWKGURL 8 years, 11 months ago

CONGRATS! THese individuals and all individuals that choose this type of work do not do it because it is a job. They DO IT because they want to........I say ...screw you to the ones that think otherwise! I am proud to be of the police family and appreciate each and every officer and the their families for the sacrifices they make off an on the job. I was lucky growing up that I was the daughter of a dmn good officer and the 'adopted' daughter of all of the other dmn good officers. Amen and I ask in prayer that all officers are protected and blessed in all they do! THank you!

coach 8 years, 11 months ago

First of all thank you Officers. Second of all Ragingbear, do you have any idea how many calls they get like that. What you tell a dispatcher might exactly what you saw, what the officers are told in a short two sentance dispatch is alot different. Going to a fight, arriving and not hearing anything... Well I wouldn't waste my time looking around either. If the guy was gone then problem solved. I doubt the officer knew half of what was going on and its not their job to babysit an apartment complex not even knowing whats going on and where she lives. There are non-stop calls everyday in this town. Its unfortunate but during busy times they have to go on.