Archive for Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dog attacks second child at North Lawrence home

Chow-German shepherd mix surrendered for euthanasia after destroying part of boy’s lip

January 19, 2006

A dog that attacked two children in North Lawrence in less than two months will be put down.

Lawrence Police were called to Lawrence Memorial Hospital at 3:20 p.m. Sunday after a report that a dangerous dog had bitten a child. Maurice Jacobs, a fourth-grader at Woodlawn School, had an injury to the left side of his upper lip.

Maurice and his twin brother, Marcus, had been at the home of a friend in the 300 block of Lincoln Street and were playing with the dog, a 1-year-old chow and German shepherd mix, when it bit Maurice.

"His lip - all right here - gone," said Bernadette Jacobs, Maurice's mother, running her finger across the left side of her upper lip.

On Monday, Maurice had surgery and stitches to repair damage to his lip. He will miss at least a week of school while recovering.

"Next week, they'll take out the stitches," Maurice said.

Maurice Jacobs, 10, was bitten on the lip by a dog over the weekend, the second time the dog had bitten someone. Maurice, with his mother, Bernadette, is at home from school this week recovering from the bite. The dog's owner says she will have the animal put to sleep.

"I think (the dog) should be put down because no one else should go through this," his mother said.

Carol Fitzgerald, a relative of the homeowner, owns the dog. She also lives at the house.

Fitzgerald declined comment other than to say that the dog would be euthanized.

City prosecutor Jerry Little said one dog-bite case already was pending involving the animal. The charges were damage to property by an animal and failure to immunize an animal, he said. A first appearance was set for Feb. 3.

Bob Geddings, who lives behind the house where Fitzgerald was staying, said the incident in December involved the dog biting his 10-year-old daughter about a quarter inch from her left eye.

Geddings said his daughter was at the neighbors' house, lying on the floor and watching them put up their Christmas tree when the dog bit her. She was treated for the injury at Lawrence Memorial Hospital, he said.

Little said the dog was returned to the owner after the first incident because the case was charged as a property-damage case instead of under the city's dangerous-dog ordinance.

According to city code, a dog accused of being dangerous may be impounded at a veterinary clinic or the Lawrence Humane Society while awaiting court proceedings. A judge then has five to 20 days to conduct a hearing.

If a dog is found to be dangerous, the owner must register the animal with the city and keep it confined.

In any animal bite case, an animal must be observed at a veterinary clinic for at least 10 days to check for disease, according to city code.

Geddings said he was upset the dog bit another child and that he believed it should have been quarantined at least until a hearing was complete.

"I think it's wrong. I think something needs to be done about the rules of keeping animals," he said.

Bernadette Jacobs said the family's health insurance has covered the costs of her son's injury.

Little confirmed that his office received a call Wednesday from animal control officers who said the dog's owner had signed paperwork to turn it over to them. The dog was to be taken to the humane society and put to sleep.

Whether Little's office continues to pursue charges in the first case or file charges in the second case will depend on whether the victims decide to pursue restitution for any damages, he said.

Comments

Ember 9 years, 3 months ago

Yeah,a nd sometimes completely docile animals just simply snap for a moment. There is no way to predict when it will happen, or if it will at all. Guess this person is advocating for the removal of all household pets that could possibly cause injury to anyone that might be in the house.

I know a guy that raises cougars for a living, and her eldest female has never bit, scratched or even hissed at anyone in the 12 years I have known her. Sucks when she thinks it's time for her to be a lap cat, though.

On the other hand, I have seen dogs charge across 3 or 4 yards and come damned close to biting me. Two of them I have punted as hard as possible, just to avoid losing a chunk of flesh.

You can't predict animals.

cowboy 9 years, 3 months ago

This is real simple , if you have a dog that bites , you the owner must take responsibility to remove the dog from from the home either to a safe environment or put them down. If you dont you are irresponsible.

coach 9 years, 3 months ago

I have a 12 guage shotgun. I'd take care of that dog for about .25 cents.

chzypoof1 9 years, 3 months ago

Jannie, are you a card carrying member of PETA? This was a child getting their "LIP BITTEN OFF!!!" It doesn't matter what the child did to the dog. Kids smack and kick my dog all day (daycare), but he doesn't bite their lips off. If the dog has already bitten, they had a responsibility to take care of the problem. It's not the kid's fault for being a kid. We're talking about a vicious dog here. Put it down, and prosecute the owner for not taking care of their own responsibilities.

Jannie, you sound like another "concerned citizen" that is trying to blame everyone's issues on someone else, mainly the city commision. Their laws are not violating people's rights, they are protecting childen's lives. I don't agree with all of their decisions, but this one is right!

And you're right, in America, there will always be people that have the right to the freedom of speech that don't need or deserve it. Get over it and feel bad for the kid.

hurlehey 9 years, 3 months ago

I was bit by a wiener dog on Sunday and nobody did a thing! Man, that wiener dog was MEAN!

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

The dog bit a child last month around the eye. Now, the dog has bitten another child on the face. The owners did the right thing by putting the dog down. Some dogs bite, and the victim has done nothing to provoke the dog, except the dog felt threatened. It's hard to tell what will provoke some dogs, Jannie. I have a hard time telling myself this, but it is a DOG. And the safety of the neighborhood children come first!

Becky 9 years, 3 months ago

Until you are a parent in this situation I feel that you do not understand Jannie. Last year my beloved dog Max bit my son on the face right in front of my husband and I. This was not an agressive dog he was a part of our family. My husband and I thought we did everything right. We had tought our son all the rules on how to behave around the dog. You never know about a pet. We put Max down because we could not put anyone thru the pain and guilt that we felt. It was an unprovked attack. Two inches lower and my son would have been dead. Every time we look at my son we see the scars and wonder why?

GonetotheDogs 9 years, 3 months ago

""I think it's wrong. I think something needs to be done about the rules of keeping animals," , City prosecutor Jerry Little said one dog-bite case already was pending involving the animal. The charges were damage to property by an animal and failure to immunize an animal, he said."

OK, first things first. This guy thinks the rules of keeping animals needs to be changed....hmmm...no vaccinations required, no control, no manners or training for the dog.

Next, you know that the dog has already had an issue with a child, that means if you care about the animal, and the child- or at least the animal, you control the situation- PUT THE DOG IN ANOTHER ROOM!!! But, oh, yeah, the rules (logic, responsibility) need to be changed.

Basically, it comes down to complete and total disregard for everyone involved. You own an animal, you are responsible for making sure that it is taken care of, healthy and socalized, if not, you must control the situation in your home and on your property so that accidents do not happen.

I am the owner of 4 dogs that can all be affected by Breed Specific Legislation. I am also a parent. The children that come into my home WILL behave around my dogs, and when they don't, the dogs get put up until the child leaves (some are not invited back). All are monitored closely at all times. I have had no incidents with my dogs, but yet the neighbors 30 pound lovable little mutt took a chunk out of a childs thigh- kids playing and running in the yard, chained dog that was left out got excited and took a nip as the girl went by within range. No anger, it would have been considered playing had it been with another dog.

It comes down to responsibility and caring. My dogs are all vaccinated, socialized, and loved members of the family. I am not going to allow them to be put in a situation that will get them in trouble, or someone hurt. Dogs don't communicate like most of us can with words, frustration, fear, anger, excitement and enthusiasm often get put into actions that are often unacceptable behavior when interacting with humans. This is where understanding behavior, training, control and responsibility come in. If you're not willing to do it, don't get a pet!

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

The dog bit two children in the face!! Not the arms or legs, but the face. Indicates a problem to me! __

The children were playing in the yard with the dog when the dog bit the child. Maybe the dog mistook the playing for agressive behavior toward him - I don't know. And yes, it is sad when a family pet is put down. It could be the owner's fault for lack of training. BUT how many chances does the dog and owner get? If the dog was to bite again, the outcome could be much worse.

spikey_mcmarbles 9 years, 3 months ago

Try this for simple: I'll kill any dog that bites my kid.

Kathleen Christian 9 years, 3 months ago

As with children - people need to be taught how to care for pets. I have seen so many neglected animals as well as children in this town. Just the other day a women in a car with 2 children in the front seat with no seat belt - she was on the phone, smoking a cigerette and had squealing brakes. I see this alot in this town. I hear of people getting a puppy or kitten only to shun it when it gets older. Apparently they think they are toys for their pleasure. I believe if someone gets a pet they should commit to it for the life of it. Should take up animal training, understand their medical needs and teach them how to be people (especially kid) friendly. Never buy a pet on a whim - like having a child it should be thought out rationally. Afterall, pets can bring so much love and joy to a family and ask for so little in return - we humans can at least give them a happy, healthy and secure life.

allateup 9 years, 3 months ago

What does PETA stand for? People Euthanizing Threatening Animals?

yeah_right 9 years, 3 months ago

Jannie, I take it you don't have children of your own. Maybe if you did you would value children more than animals. I love animals but they can be unpredictable. I also know how difficult it is to lose a pet. Believe me, if I had a dog who put my children or any of the children in my neighborhood in danger I would find somewhere else for it to go. And if it put any of the kids in the hospital, it would go down.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 3 months ago

I've got a couple of questions for you, chzypoof1...

If you run a daycare, why is your dog even around the kids all day? I would think you wouldn't want to take the risk with other people's children, because if anything ever happened, you would definitely be held liable. And don't talk about how he's not aggressive at all and he would never do that...no one can ever guarantee that an animal will never bite, under any circumstance. It can and does happen, even with animals that have never, ever bitten anyone before.

And why are you allowing the little darlings to smack and kick your dog all day long? Poor dog...this certainly sounds like animal abuse to me. And he just sits there and takes it, huh? Since you allow him to be treated this way all the time, don't be surprised if one day he snaps.

This situation seems like a disaster waiting to happen...

On another note, I'd like to comment on the stupidity of some people...I have a neighbor with a little dog, and he's quite temperamental, and has snapped at people that he doesn't know. This dog never goes outside without his owner. And he is separated from guests when people come over. His owner is very responsible, and tells people to keep their hands to themselves and not try to pet him, because he might bite. You'd be amazed at the number of idiots who ignore this advice and attempt to do it anyway.

yeah_right 9 years, 3 months ago

Oh well, my kids and the neighborhood kids are more important than any pet!

justathought 9 years, 3 months ago

I am glad this dogs owner is having it put down. This dog obviously either needed to be never around anyone but it's owners or put down. My husband and I went to the off leash dog park this past Sunday with our Yorkie and two young boys. We have never had a problem there before. This day we were on our way back from walking the trails and out of the blue a shar-pei comes from the field and latches on to our dog. My husband and I instantly dropped to the ground and tried to get this dog off ours. I was ripping at it's mouth trying to get it to release and it just wouldn't. FINALLY a woman comes after we get the dog off and is like..duh what happened?? HELLO your freaking dog just attacked ours!! Then here is the best part...she says oh it's not my dog it is my friends and we are watching it. WHY would you take someone elses dog to that type of enviorment????

Sometimes ppl just don't think. It's sad. If your dog is violent you keep it away from others or it gets put down.

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

If a dog bites a child, that dog needs to go somewhere that it won't be around children, ever. If a dog seriously bites anyone twice (not just nips but real bites that draw blood and tear flesh), I regret to say that it needs to be put down because biting hard is something it's learned as a response behaviour.

When I was a kid, we had a cocker/shepherd mix I loved dearly. That dog would protect me like nobody's business; if an adult it didn't know got within five feet of me, it was between us, all teeth and fierceness.

However, when I was 8, the little girl I played with was over, and she reached down to pet him. I guess she startled him or scared him, because he jumped up and took a piece of her chin off. It wasn't that he bit that upset and scared my mom, but that dogs, when they intend to kill, go for the throat. Any bite close to there, especially if the dog had to jump or leap for it, raised her concerns that the dog was going for a kill.

They took the dog to the vet for a checkup (hoping, I guess, to find that he had a big sore spot or injury or something that she'd inadvertently poked, or some way he might have been responding to pain or injury, not just startlement), and the vet told them that basically, if a dog bites when it's not really provoked, there's just no way to be sure that it won't bite like that again. We kept him quarantined the ten days law required, then they took him to the pound. At the time, I convinced myself that they put him up for adoption and maybe someone nice adopted him and he didn't get put to sleep, but a few years later they explained that, no, they hadn't wanted to risk him getting adopted by someone with kids, so they just had him put down.

Few years ago, my mom had a biting dog (mostly legs, only broke skin once, but pretty fierce about it). She lives on a farm, no kids for miles, few visitors. She'd warn people, "Park and come straight to the house. Don't hang around in the yard because Girl bites if she thinks you're dangerous." If there were kids coming for any reason, Girl got chained out back. She was a good dog, just got abused as a pup and never quite recovered, so Mom didn't have the heart to put her down. However, if there'd been neighbor kids, or if my sister and I were still living there, she wouldn't have had a second thought about putting her down.

I tend to agree with Ember that some dogs just snap and you can't always predict it. However, I think that once a dog has snapped, there's a higher likelihood that it'll do it again, and the vets that I know tend to agree with me.

I don't know that there's such a thing as an inherently bad dog, but some dogs just cannot be trusted around children, and some dogs have just been so badly raised that they're not safe for anyone other than a professional trainer to own and handle.

dozer 9 years, 3 months ago

Janniebull - you said "the prosecutors office does not provide the facts of the orinance to pet owners until he has all he needs to kill the dog." If you own a dog or other animal, it is your responsiblity to know the law regarding that animal. If you drive a car, it is your responsibility to know the traffic regulations. You can't claim, well I'm justified going 90 MPH in a school zone because I didn't know it was criminal to do that.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

This dog has bit two children in the face. The owners did the responsible thing. Obviously, the dog was unpredictable.

hottruckinmama 9 years, 3 months ago

if that dog bit my kid in the face the owner wouldn't have to worry about putting it down. i would have done it for her. don't get me wrong i have a dog for a pet and i love animals but i won't tolerate a mean dog. i had a biting dog one time and nothing i could do would make it stop so yes i had it put down. it was the right thing to do. i would rather do that then take a chance on it disfigering some little kid.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

blue73harley - I am glad you found a home for your dog. We are in a similar situation. We are waiting for lab rescue to place him. He has territorial issues we are unable to fix, but someone might be able to. Too many young children in the neighborhood.
But if he bit anyone in the face, I don't think I would have a problem putting him down.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

Exactly, hottruckinmama. I feel guilty when I think about the putting the dog down if we can't find him another home or fix the problem, but I would feel worse if he injured a child or even an adult. We don't want to take any chances.
We watch him like a hawk anytime he goes out in the yard, and bring him in when we hear him bark (indicating people outside in the vicinity) .

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

badger - well put. agree 100%.

Anyone in the country want a protective labrador retriever??

dozer 9 years, 3 months ago

Jannie - You got a dog in this fight?

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

dozer -

Jannie's got a dog in every fight.

Sometimes, though, her dog is Marion, whom she adores because of her admiration for his Marathon Man status.

dozer 9 years, 3 months ago

Here is a section from the dangerous dog ordinance...

"no dog may be declared dangerous if any injury or damage is sustained by a person or animal who at the time such injury or damage was sustained, was committing a willful trespass or other tort upon premises occupied by the owner or keeper of the dog, or was teasing, tormenting, abusing or assaulting the dog or was committing or attempting to commit a crime."

So, if the kid was poking it with a stick, it ain't gonna be declared dangerous.

a_flock_of_jayhawks 9 years, 3 months ago

I think everyone who owns a dog should be required to carry special insurance, especially owners of species that are prone to bite. That would make everyone think twice about the responsibilities involved with owning a dog. Most dog owners treat their dogs better than they treat people, which is a sad reflection of our "me" society.

Rossp 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm sure a lot of you would agree with me on this.....if it were Jannie who got bit in the face by any dog she'd feel a whole lot different about all this........

Oh, I own two very nice dogs (one being a PIT BULL and the other a Mini Schnauzer) and they are the best! They are very good with each other and children. I do make sure though that if the kids are getting too crazy around the pets to make them get too excited that the kids calm down and the dogs go to there kennels. If the dogs were to bite I wouldn't think twice to have them put down even if it were the kids fault.

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

Out of curiosity, flock?

Any idea what the second-most-common biting breed is?

The answer might surprise you, because while it's popular knowledge that pit bulls have the most reported bites, a lot of the same studies put labrador retrievers in the #2 spot. Labs. Not chows, not rotties, not huskies or crossbreed wolves. Big happy labs with floppy ears that everyone loves because they just look so darn friendly.

Dogs bite. Whether a pit bull is more likely to have a reported bite because of qualities of the breed or because of qualities of owners who are drawn to the breed hasn't been established. Breed-restrictive laws don't make sense. If you're going to have a law that affects owners of pit bulls, it should affect owners of Pomeranians.

Rossp 9 years, 3 months ago

Jannie "The Dog Whisperer" sounds way too good to be true huh?

She almost had me convinced..........NOT...........

Redneckgal 9 years, 3 months ago

I think some folks get animals confused with people jbl. They don't have rights. If a dog bites once bad enough to cause permanent damage that should be enough to have it put down. Some dogs are just mean and there is nothing any body did to cause it and most of the time there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. They are just "wired" that way.

Redneckgal 9 years, 3 months ago

Geez I didn't read the post that got deleted from her. Take back the "confused" in my last post and add "nuts" in its place.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

I know labs will bite (we have two male labs), but the #2 spot seems high.
Any breed can be agressive. Sometimes I wonder if small dog bites get reported because smaller dogs= smaller mouths=smaller bites (you would think).

But if my lab bit a child in the face just once, he would be put down.

lilchick 9 years, 3 months ago

Purebred Dog of choice= $400+ Obedience School and Training= $250+ Books on handling dog of Choice= $50

Bite one child (not nip but bite and tear into flesh) = .10 cents in .22 ammo....

Sometimes no matter how well trained or behaved an animal is, they attack. Not play fight, but hurt someone. My parents had a dog that used to chase down my brother when he got off of the bus and jump on him and 'wrestle'. They played rough and tumble like most kids do. This mutt never once even nipped at anyone, but if it had ever tried to bite someone unprovoked, it would have been shot immediatly.

And Jannie, real quick question, according to the story, the first victim was a 10 year old girl who was "at the neighbors' house, lying on the floor and watching them put up their Christmas tree when the dog bit her. " How could that be provoking or mistreating the animal?

staff04 9 years, 3 months ago

A woman in Virginia was recently convicted of negligent homicide because her dog, who had bitten a child two months prior, attacked and killed an elderly woman. She is now going to spend at least 6 years in prison.

Jannie- I'm sorry, but your friend deserves the harshest punishment for his/her negligence. Earlier you mentioned the unruly child. False analogy. No matter what you think, animals are not people. They do not have the same rights. It is not on the public's onus to know where a vicious animal resides, nor is it their responsibility to know how an animal will react. It IS however, the responsibility of the animal's owner to ensure that a KNOWN vicious animal does not present a danger to the public. End of story.

Confrontation 9 years, 3 months ago

That dog should have been put down after the first incident. I am sick of everyone caring more about puppies and kitties, rather than human beings. Donating money to the Humane Society is a waste when you could be helping a child who has been abused. I'm sure all you animal lovers will start crying now, but I doubt I could care less. I don't think animals should be tortured, but they shouldn't be a bigger concern than children. Afterall, how these children are raised will affect our future more than how many animals are adopted. For those of you who sympathize with this horrible dog, may you all experience the pleasure of a vicious dog attack on you or a family member. It's not fun.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

If the dog had bitten the child in the hand, arm or leg, it might be a different story, Jannie. But the dog bit TWO children in the face. How many chances does the dog get before it gets put down??
As a dog owner, it hurts to say this, but it is just a DOG.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

Confrontation, I think you are addressing the minority in sympathy with the dog. If you read the posts, most of us are in the majority, who believe the dog should have been put down.

dozer 9 years, 3 months ago

Jannie - I've just read the trash ordinance. Thanks, I now know not to place radioactive material on the curb for the weekly trash run. Other than that, I've been doing just fine using common sense. On that note, common sense goes a long way. Like not driving 90 in a school zone, or dealing with a dog that has already biten one child while she was laying on the floor watching people put up lights.

coolmom 9 years, 3 months ago

if a dog bites then it should be put down with the exception of protecting itself or its human.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

confrontation - and I wouldn't wish a dog attack, vicious or otherwise, on another person.
Donating to the Human society is not a waste, just something YOU would choose not to do. I donate to various causes, including our local Humane Society because I have adopted pets from there.

lilchick 9 years, 3 months ago

blue73harley, i just choked on my lunch!!! Thanks for the laugh! Oh, and I've been meaning to ask, what is your 73 harley?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

Can't believe I'm doing this but I'm actually agreeing, to an extent, with 'Janniebullinlawrence'. I noticed someone said that "the kids were just being kids". Yes, that's probably true. Guess what? The dog was just being A DOG!! People love to anthropomorphize dogs. They give them cute nicknames, they talk to them as though the dog is going to respond, they even buy gaudy clothes and booties for them. That doesn't change the fact that the dog is still a dog. They are pack animals at heart. They do not think like humans! They bite when fighting AND when playing. My guess is that the dog, which is only one year old and still a pup, was not attacking the boy but was playing. If it had been attacking it would have done far more damage.

Parents need to teach their children that the ONLY dog they play with is their own. However, the owner of the chow should have been keeping better tabs on who was around their dog and told the boys to leave it alone. I used to have a very sweet dog but I would never let him play with other people because he was still 65 lbs and could crush an arm with one bite. Common sense!!

Kathleen Christian 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes, some dogs are prone to bit and these dogs you do not get if you have children around but these dogs can be kept at close bay. BUT - should anyone get a dog and it will be around children and it is a pup you teach the pup to tolerate having its ears pulled, hair yanked, hands put in its month, paws pulled and tail and being laid upon. I've had many a dog and raised them from a pup to tolerate children and not once have they bitten or became agressive in any way toward the children. You also must socialize dogs at an early age with people and other animals - very important. Once pet owners understand this perhaps rules such as these won't have to be necessary. Something has to be done until pet owners decide to use some commen sense. I think Pit Bulls should be outlawed within city limits. They are just too unpredictable.

jocoboy 9 years, 3 months ago

I'm with Hong_Kong_Phooey, I don't have kids but I do have two dogs. I have a fenced yard, I had a problem two years back where I couldn't keep the neighbor kids outta my yard. I tried to explain this to the parents who were oblivious to my concerns. I feel for this kid but neither the kid or the dog is truly to blame. It's the parents! Parents today let there kids go outside without having any clue as to what they are doing. Parent don't teach there kids to stay out of other peoples yards. An parent don't teach their kids basic common sense. Don't attack me because I do feel for the kid - but lets put the blame where it lies!

You come in my yard and you should get bit!

mefirst 9 years, 3 months ago

Dog owners in Lawrence are completely irresponsible. If they're not letting their dogs bark incessantly at all hours, they're letting them run around, unleashed. It's ridiculous. And when you complain, you're the a**hole.

I have two dogs. I pay attention to them, take them on frequent walks and bring them indoors at night. Dog owners must be accountable for the behavior of their animals.

My dog, who we got from a rescue, was quarantined for biting a child. This dog has been an incredible source of joy in my life. When we took him in, he needed love, attention, and training, and that's exactly what he got. He's since been around countless hyper, obnoxious children (and adults) without incident.

People need to realize--YOU DON"T HAVE TO OWN A DOG. If you can't (or refuse) to give your animal the love and attention it requires, don't take on the responsibility of owning one!

I hate to see animals punished because their owners are reckless and irresponsible.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

Kansasland, The dog bit a child once, in the face. Who knows what really happened? The dog bit another child, in the face. Who knows what really happened? None of us do, but if my dog bit a child, let alone two in the face, I wouldn't keep him around to bite a 3rd. Even if he was provoked, poked, pulled, or prodded either time means he is prone to biting and can be considered dangerous.
By the way, did anyone read that the owner was cited for failure to immunize the animal for the first offense. The owner may not be responsible enough to own a pet, let alone train him to be around kids.

Confrontation 9 years, 3 months ago

Marion-I totally believe you could do this :) The head of the Lawrence Humane Society spoke to my college ethics class (funny, I know) and she talked about writing down license plate numbers and notifying the cops about dog fights. She also said that no arrests were ever made, and no cops ever showed up at the dog fights. Maybe they are tired of hearing from her, or maybe someone is making a little extra cash on the side.

glockenspiel 9 years, 3 months ago

sweetpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

I have sat here and read every post and am dumbfounded that so much time and energy went into bickering with who ever the heck janniebullinlawrence had to say. We are all humans and have a loyalty to humans first (I would hope) I agree that pets are mostly bought as a spur of the moment decision and not enough thought goes into breed or any of the multitude of issues that are faced while owning one. I happen to know the mom and her kids. I am sure that she would not have allowed her children to the home if she was made aware of a dog that bites. As you can see, the woner never made a coment to the story and decided to do what she felt was for the best and required. I had a little dog that I spent a lot of time with. I started noticing about six months old he turned completely gray and had some quirks that were becoming more pronounced. The vet and I had discussed this when he was about 3 months old because of some problems that he was having developing. Anyway, we monitored him very closely witht he kids. For the first year he was awesome and I couldn't have asked for a better family friend. By the time he was 18 months old he was becoming very unpredictable. This was due to the crossbreeding for generations the breeder had done. He jumped up and bit my youngest son in the face. I Talked to the vet while the doc was checking out my son. (he had all his shots so rabies wasn't a concern) we had some trainers go in and work with him bottom line he was getting so uncontrollable we put him down. Did I do this out of revenge? No, I did it out of the love I had for the beautiful dog he was and also for the safety of my children. It wasn't court ordered just the best and safest choice for all concerned. All animal owners should know the laws surrounding whatever pet they have. It is not the responsibility of the city or anyone else to make sure owners know. They took the responsibility when they purchased the pet. Again, I guess I don't see what the point of the arguments are. Seems pretty simple doesn't it?

Rossp 9 years, 3 months ago

There is absolutly nothing wrong with having a pit bull if you raise them right. They are just like any other dog just like I said "if you raise them right."

This is going too far. You all read the story and are going on and on about all this and you aren't getting anywhere are you? ANY dog can bite/attack anyone...

cowboy 9 years, 3 months ago

This argument is so old and tired

A well tempered dog should be able to take badgering from kids , if they can't then you have an at risk pet you have to take action to protect people / kids from.

If you have a dog that is territorial the answer is NOT to send it to the country where it will bite others , kill livestock.

If you have a crappy pet put them down !Dont pass your problem to someone or somewhere else !

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

Cowboy, i doubt my territorial dog would kill livestock (more so he would get kicked first), but he would make a good watch dog. And he might not be as territorial in the country as in his backyard. He may need a new setting. He is not a crappy pet, which makes the situation even harder. We will do what is best. Believe me, I don't think the lab rescue would send him to your house!!

lilchick 9 years, 3 months ago

blue73harley, v nice. my soon to be hubby has an old shovelhead that he bobbed out. After growing up on bikes with suspinsion, (i'm a terrible speller today) it is really odd riding a rigidframe. Anywho, back to the topic at hand.... although I do not have children yet, I can tell you that if any animal ever hurt anyone in my family they would be punished accordingly with how they hurt that someone. Dogs are instinctivly going to attack at a person's throat. With kids around, I would not take a chance twice.
and as for the 10 yr old girl who was first bitten, you're right, noone knows what exactly went on beyond what was written in the paper, unless you happen to be a friend/family of those involved. If you are, I welcome the chance to hear the other side of the story......

ECM 9 years, 3 months ago

First of all Jannie, yes you can get "dog insurance" in the form of a additional rider on your homeowners insurance. Unfortunately most of the people with dogs like this one won't have coverage.

All you need to read is that this dog owner was sited for the dog not being vaccinated! That tells you all you need to know about what kind of pet owners they are. If you can't provide the basics (veterinary care, food, shelter and training) don't get a pet.

jocoboy 9 years, 3 months ago

Hey lilchick - should I apply your logic to my dogs. Your kid kicks my dog so I kick your kid or even better you!

Get real...

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

If a dog is going to be around children, that dog needs to not bite them when they engage in non-aggressive activities in the presence of the dog. The best way to decrease the likelihood of biting is to socialize the dog with children from puppyhood on, train the dog how to act around people, and supervise the dog when kids are going to be present.

That's just plain sense. Now, if you have a privacy-fenced back yard, no kids, no friends with kids, no likelihood that the dog will be expected to interact with kids, then you don't have the need to socialize the dog with children, but if you find that the dog is going to be around kids, you MUST supervise that time. Your good dog who gets along with your friends, adults who are reasonably calm and predictable and who have learned enough about animals to recognize when a dog or cat really doesn't want to be petted, he may not be able to handle children who behave in ways he's not expecting humans to act.

And, you know, if you are supervising the kids when the dog is there, or the dog when the kids are there, you can say, "Hey, Johnny, cut that out and don't poke the dog," and remove kid and dog from one another's presence if the kid is hassling the dog - thus removing another opportunity for biting.

The exemption from this is if, as the example was given before, kids are coming into your yard without your permission and against your direct instructions. I don't think an owner who puts up a fence his dog can't jump, tells neighborhood kids to keep out of the yard, notifies the parents that the kids are getting into his yard and the dog is territorial, takes reasonable precautions to keep the dog in the yard, should be responsible when some little brat jumps his fence and gets bitten by his dog.

And, jannie, regarding what am I sour grapes? I am afraid that either you're misusing that reference or you're referring to a resentment I'm not aware that I'm harboring.

dozer 9 years, 3 months ago

"I often get from the big boy dogs what I refer to as "hard kisses"; that is, a kiss accompianied by a snap of the teeth." Seriously, that is messed up. What you do with your dogs behind closed doors can stay there. Although I would like to read or see your "proof" of dog fighting in Lawrence.

lilchick 9 years, 3 months ago

jocoboy, if my (as of yet unborn) kids kick any living thing, human, cat or dog unprovoked, I will spank my children and displine them. I treat all creatures with respect, but that is a two way street and unfortunatly animals are NOT humans and therefore do NOT have the same rights.

lilchick 9 years, 3 months ago

I was taught growing up to take responsiblity for my actions and for the actions of those who I am in charge of, that comes from being a big sister. If anything or anyone that I was responsible for intentionally hurt someone or damaged someone else's property I would accept responsibility for it. If I did not take appropriate measures to ensure that it would not happen again I would expect for some form of punishment to befall me. Don't tell me to 'get real' boy.

jocoboy 9 years, 3 months ago

lilchick, I am only arguing against the list mentality that the dog should die!!!! I tried to present an argument with my own situation and as others have said on this list you don't know the exact circumstances to these attacks. Being a responsible dog owner I take offense to the lynch mob mentality I am seeing.....

As I said before - parents need to display more responsibilty for their children where ever they are - as should the dog owner in this case.

I couldn't tell you the number of times I have taken my dogs to Petsmart or Petco and the amount of parents that let there kids run up and pet my dogs astounds me....

Whatever happened to keeping your hands to yourself?

Ceallach 9 years, 3 months ago

A one year old shepard and chow mix is still very much a puppy, just a very big puppy. Puppies play rough, bite and chew on each other or anyone playing with them.

The dog had already bitten one person, was there no responsible adult around to either control the dog or instruct the children to use caution? Just another case of irresponsibility on the part of owners. It is too bad that a young dog will be killed (I know "put down" makes people feel better about it, but let's face it -- the dog will be killed). We certainly wouldn't want to attribute any responsibility to the people who should have known better, just kill the dog. Grrrrrr.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

lynchmob mentality?? removed and given a chance?

Yes, it was a shame that the dog was put down, but I go back to the fact that the dog bit two children in the face - not the hands, arms or legs. Two times it went for the face. I am not sure you can rehab something like that. And if you tried, wouldn't you feel guilty to the next child or person that the dog bit?? It's not a choice anyone wants to make, but sometimes it has to be done.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

One would hope if you take your dog in a public place, that the animal would know how to behave.
However, my children learned to ask to pet a dog before doing so at a very young age.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

If you have homeowners insurance and you have one of the "dangerous breeds", as deemed by insurance companies, you had better hope that they (the insurance company) doesn't find out about it. If they do, chances are good that you will lose your homeowners insurance. The list is like 20 dogs long, but the breeds I recall off the top of my head are: pitbulls, rottweillers, chows, and I think Staffordshire Terriers.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

The dog bit two children in the face - I think the owner did the right thing by putting the dog down.
I know I wouldn't hesitate if my dog did it.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

The "poor animal" bit two children in the face. Since neither of us know the circumstances of these attacks, it's hard to judge the dog as the innocent victim.
A large part of the blame may go to the owner, who didn't take care of the dog, but at some point, you have to decide if a child's life is more important than that of an animal.

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

According to the article, the dog was one year old. And in the case of a child dying, that could be the 3rd child bitten if this dog was not put down.
Even if the owner is to blame for lack of training, no one would want to give the dog a 3rd chance to seriously injure a child.
I am a dog owner, and my dogs are important part of the family. I am also a parent, and if my dog bit a child in the face twice, I wouldn't hestitate to choose the children in my neighborhood over the life of my dog. And conservativeman, I give my money to Humane Society because I have adopted pets from there, and I also give to other charities. But don't call me anti-human because I choose to support animal charities as well.

conservativeman,

Do not think that I take treat animal kind better than human kind, but if I adopt a pet from the HUMANE society, because of the HUMANE way they treat animals, then I also want to help support that charity. As I said before, I also donate to human charities, and ones you probably don't agree with either.