Archive for Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Police seek information in Taco John’s robbery

January 4, 2006

Lawrence Police are asking for the public's help today in the search for two men who robbed the Taco John's at 1626 W. 23rd Street early Tuesday morning.

The suspects, described as two men wearing masks, walked into the restaurant just after midnight Tuesday, pulled out a gun and demanded money, police said.

They fled the scene on foot after leaving with an undisclosed amount of cash. An investigation is ongoing.

Lawrence Police asked that anyone with information call the station or call 843-TIPS, where people can leave an anonymous message.

Comments

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

badger

You are right, I give up. I got robbed once. I was the manager of a live rock bar here in town. I usually walked out with my assistant managers, but on one night, I walked out by myself. The robber had a knife, and was standing on the stairs I had to go down to get to my car. It was funny. He asked me to throw him the briefcase I was holding, that had the night's receipts. I did. What he didn't realize was that a night's receipts contained a lot of coin, and weighed about 50 lbs. When he put up his hand to catch said briefcase, it hit him in the chest and knocked him off the stairs. About that time, my assistant managers came through the doors and jumped on him. The little one weighed 250. A cop car pulled up, the officer asked "Do you want to do this the easy way, or the hard way?" I was amused when he said "the hard way." I really didn't believe before that that a human head could make such a dent in the hood of a car......

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 3 months ago

And...the winner of the stupidest comment of the day is...CARTERFAMILY with "Armed Robbery is not a victimless crime even if no one gets hurt."

Gee...ya think??

Fishman 8 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like there just may be a taco robbery learning curve going on here in Lawrence! No one seems to be getting stuck in the drive through window anymore, and when robbed on foot, they aren't wearing those dumb tennis shoes with lights on them. Remember that one on America's Dumbest Criminals? I think it was the Taco Bell on 6th St. that was robbed that time.
I know, I know, the KU player that got stuck in the window on 23rd was just upset that they forgot his chulupa. Cuidate cuando robando los restaurantes Mexicano en Lawrence. La policia estan muy rapido cuando responsiendo a veces!

DGL 8 years, 3 months ago

Why does THAT Taco John's keep getting robbed?? Don't they have one in Topeka that's just as nice?

DonQuipunch 8 years, 3 months ago

No, born, in Topeka, the majority of the problems come from its citizens.

You win.

plumberscrack 8 years, 3 months ago

I didn't know our Mayor was smelly?

Why am I always the last to know.

born1980 8 years, 3 months ago

At least in topeka our mayor isnt a smelly hippie and the robbers didnt have to deal with those pesky roundabouts.

ljreader 8 years, 3 months ago

"Topekans" was my initial guess, too. Like I always say. forget about building a wall on the Mexican border- build it around T-town.

blessed3x 8 years, 3 months ago

A better tactic would be to walk into Taco John's wearing a ski mask and just stand there. Wait until the manager calls the cops, then you can sue the store for harassment and the cops for profiling, after all it's not illegal to wear a ski mask and it is winter in Kansas after all. A good lawyer could get you a few hundred thou' easy. Maybe more.

carterfamily 8 years, 3 months ago

Armed Robbery is not a victimless crime even if no one gets hurt. It bothers me that this happened so near a residential area where there are many families with children.

By the way Badger, you are correct about the way managers and employees are trained to handle these situations in fast-food and convience stores. It puts too many people at risk if you do not comply with the demands of the robber(s) and that is why they are trained this way.

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

Ah, the ever effective "Fleeing on foot" method.. The police just don't have a defense to that.

del888 8 years, 3 months ago

OK, I'll bite... Exactly where in the story did you read that the police we NOT called immediately?? You must have some sort of 'read between the lines' power.

grimpeur 8 years, 3 months ago

Did police happen to find anyone wedged in the drive-thru window?

Yo really, really, really quiero Taco Bell.

stinkfist 8 years, 3 months ago

I'll bet it was the "Yo quiero Taco Bell." Chihuahua. He's been outta work for a while now, probably needs the money to support his habits.

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

wonderhorse asked:

"If two men walk into a business wearing masks, why weren't the police called immediately?"

Perhaps the guys walked in and immediately pulled the gun, demanding that no one move.

Usually, employees and managers are trained to do exactly what they're told by the robbers, which includes putting down a phone, not pressing a panic button, and giving up the money.

If, perhaps, someone managed to dial 911 before being told to hang up, there is still time, while dispatch calls back the number to verify whether they need assistance, then sends over a patrol car, for two people to demand all the money and run. Most robberies are in and out in under two minutes, they say, without time to think or react. I bet that's less than the average police response time for that part of 23rd St.

kpippen 8 years, 3 months ago

stuck in a roundy, funny stuff!!!

Darth_Vader 8 years, 3 months ago

I hate to be stereotypical but... when my mom's purse was stole here in Lawrence this summer, the first place the ATM card was used was at a bank in Topeka.

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

i'd conjecture that they're currently spinning 'round&'round one of the roundabouts trying to get pointed toward topeka.

i'm with ya on that one pipp. :)

christie 8 years, 3 months ago

Another no-class robbery. Taco-Johns I mean really what did they score 200, perhaps 400 cash? If you're gonna do 10 to 20 you may as well rob a bank and do Federal Time.

Tacky Tacky Tacky.

I'm glad nobody was hurt over it.

kpippen 8 years, 3 months ago

thank you trin.

i'll wager one nachos navidad that Topeka is involved.

offtotheright 8 years, 3 months ago

wonderhorse.....ya think maybe there wasn't time to call the police immediately?

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

what, kpippen, no beverage? :-o

i know it isn't funny...but your post was! :)

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

kpippen 8 years, 3 months ago

...the men took cash , taco bravos, and potato oles, before fleeing back to Topeka.