Archive for Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Only three drunken drivers arrested over New Year’s

Robbery, other incidents keep police busy during weekend

January 4, 2006

Lawrence Police say they are hoping the New Year's weekend is evidence that constant warnings about the dangers of drinking and driving are sinking in.

Only three operating-under-the -influence arrests were made during the New Year's Eve and morning time period, police spokesman Sgt. Dan Ward said.

"That's very good," Ward said. "Hopefully we got the word out, and people were taking the necessary precautions and having designated drivers."

But police were kept busy otherwise over the holiday weekend. One of the more violent incidents occurred during a robbery about 3:30 a.m. Monday at Presto Convenience Store, 1030 N. Third St.

Though no weapons were seen, five men entered the store and began taking money and cigarettes, Ward said. One of the men forced a woman clerk to the floor and held her there while the looting was going on. She was not injured and called police when the men left.

The men were black, according to the clerk, who told police the man who held her down was about 6 feet tall and 180 pounds.

Anyone who has information about the incident is asked to call the police department at 832-7509 or the Crime Stoppers tips line at 843-8477.

Shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday a disturbance in the mobile home park at 110 N. Mich. resulted in a man being held at knifepoint. The victim was forced to go to another mobile home. The suspect then left. An investigation later led police to arrest a 21-year-old man.

At 1:30 a.m. Sunday, police were called to The Jayhawk Cafe, 1340 Ohio, after a 27-year-old man was struck on the head with a blunt object. He was not seriously injured.

Mailboxes were vandalized Saturday night or Sunday morning in the 2300 block of Willow Lane. Police received only one report from a resident but said they had heard there might be others damaged, too.

Police also are investigating a vandalism incident at a car dealership that occurred sometime between Dec. 23 and Dec. 26. Ten vehicles sustained various types of damage at Auto Exchange, 1225 E. 23rd St.

Comments

offtotheright 8 years, 3 months ago

Did the guy have insurance? Does your son have insurance?

Next year you should encourage your son to stay home on New Years Eve, have a get together there. It's dangerous to be out on that night (amateur)!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

IP: you keep it up! and keep us informed on your process in the courts!

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

smitty

Once again, this isn't sarcasm, I am truly shocked. I would have thought that this is illegal in KS. I guess I'll have to research KSA. I have even taken classes at Washburn, and haven't seen the store. Can you give me the address, or street?

smitty 8 years, 3 months ago

Wonderhorse, there is at least one drive thru in Topeka. It's located on Washburn not far from the cheap taco joint if I remember correctly. I've bought beer there at the drive thru wondow. It's close to Washburn U.

Lynn731 8 years, 3 months ago

There is an alternative for people - do not drink and drive. Thank you, Lynn

italianprincess 8 years, 3 months ago

If you read my post about this 22 year old guy hes got alot against him right now. I hope they give him the max for what he has done. Hes in alot of trouble and this isn't the first time hes done damage. This time it was my son's car and next time it could be worse.

This guy as far as I have heard...........has no job. Hes a dru addict and a crimminal. He gets appointed an attorney I guess, but I have one too. We shall see what happens now.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

OTR finally took that first toke and now he can't put it down.

lv2ride 8 years, 3 months ago

your kind of stuck on that weed aren't you?!?

offtotheright 8 years, 3 months ago

Smoke weed, it's better for you in Lawrence...

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

glock

Are you certain about the drive throughs? I thought that was illegal in KS. Do you know where one is?

I am not being sarcastic on this, I am just curious, and flabbergasted if you are right.

Todd 8 years, 3 months ago

"A mature person is one who is does not think only in absolutes, who is able to be objective even when deeply stirred emotionally, who has learned that there is both good and bad in all people and all things, and who walks humbly and deals charitably"

Eleanor Roosevelt

glockenspiel 8 years, 3 months ago

Just a note, there are drive through liquor stores in Kansas too.

I don't mean to be insensitive. I have alot of sympathy for those who have lost the life of a loved one at the hands of a driver that was drunk.

I do, however, appreciate that only 3 people were arrested for drinking and driving. It says that a lot of people were behaving responsibly. I think its ok for law enforcement to look away a little bit on special occasions. Almost everyone I know, and many of you, have driven when you were not legally able to. Fortunatly, I know only a few that drove when they had no buisness being near a car.

lv2ride 8 years, 3 months ago

I am sorry to be "picking" on your comments, Todd...But I just don't agree....I guess we can just agree to disagree!!! :+)-

lv2ride 8 years, 3 months ago

Todd,

Why don't you just stop pretending and imagining and join the real world...people who drink and drive are stupid and there are NO excuses!!! Like I said, if there are kids involved, there is NO room for alcohol/drugs!!!

I guess that is just MY 2 cents and opinion!!!!

Todd 8 years, 3 months ago

People make mistakes and all DUIs aren't equal. All I'm saying is use your imagination.

Pretend someone's kidnapping your children and the only way to stop them is to get into your car and run them off the road. Much to your suprise the damned kidnapper swipes your kids after you've downed a single beer and your blood-alcohol level is .0800000000001.

Well, being a sensible human being you jump in your car and knock that crazy fool off the road while calling the cops. Your kids are bit scared and bumped around but out of the kidnappers hands. Much to your suprise the cops put you under arrest for DUI. You go up before the judge and explain you situation. Do you honestly think you should get jail timeJ (no priors)

Eric Beightel 8 years, 3 months ago

There is judicial discretion but those are the recommended sentences. Only 48 for a second DUI is getting off pretty well. Apparently the judges are not strictly adhering to the sentencing structure endorsed by the legislature.

Whatever - as you said, drinking & driving dangerous and costly on many levels.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Ebbenji - Aren't those just guidelines? I always get confsed between maximums and guidelines and the always controversial "whatever the judge thinks". This is my idiot friend's 2nd and he just got 48 hours plus the comservice, BIG FINE (forgot that), rehab, etc... ANyhow, he had a one year suspended sentence and probabtion. Eh, whatever. Bad news. Don't drink and drive.

lv2ride 8 years, 3 months ago

Todd:

What point? If "this man" (or woman) is a single parent of a "gaggle of kids" with or without relatives....Why the h*** is he/she drinking and driving in the first place?!? I agree with ip...He/she shouldn't be drinking and driving at all...especially if he/she has, as you put it, a "gaggle of kids"!!! Common sense-- some people need to learn about responsibility before having children. Children depend on their parents and look up to them as role models. It is simple...If you want to drink, and you don't want to take the time to find a DD then stay home and drink!!! My husband drinks occasionally when we go out and I am his DD and vice versa (we trade off), pretty simple task!!

Eric Beightel 8 years, 3 months ago

With the recent changes that T_O_B cited, the above figures may no longer be accurate past the second one. Third is a felony and as such would require at least 1yr in jail.

The terms I listed were accurate prior to the legislature stiffening the penalties.

Eric Beightel 8 years, 3 months ago

1st DUI is either 48 hours in county or 100 hours of community service. License is suspended for 30 days and restricted for 1 year.

2nd DUI is 30 days in the clink

3rd DUI 90

4th I think a year in state prison.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

IP - I believe that a first time DUI is 1 year in jail. Except, the caveats. No priors, probably suspended 1 year jail under a diversion program. With priors, perhaps probation. By law, a 2nd DUI cannot have a diversion but you can get probation. At least 48 hours lock-up. 3rd Time is a Felony and Certian Jailtime. The judge can always add community service, drug/alc treatment, MADD presentations, etc... Anyhow, I think you said the guy that hit your son was under probabtion. If so, he's in a shtlode world of hurt and if he has any money probably has a really good lawyer at this point.

This friend got one a few months back and apparently the penalities are a lot stiffer because the legislature stiffened them either 2 or 3 Summers ago. Now there is no 5 year limit (3 in 5) and they can go back as far as they want (all DUIs count retroactively). Also 3 is a Felony.

Todd 8 years, 3 months ago

Do you think prison will really prevent the person from doing the same thing again when they get out? What's the purpose of prison sentence? To make society safer by keeping the "bad" people away from the "good" people? I think society would be harmed more than helped in my example above. (Note I said no damage meaning no crash, no body hurt, nothing... I picked an extreme example to make the point)

italianprincess 8 years, 3 months ago

Imagine the person killing another driver or a family. I really don't give a crap whether or not hes just barely over the limit. Hes knows he shouldn't be driving.

Imagine him with not one relative...........thats kind of hard to imagine. If this driver is drunk and theres not one person to take care of his/her children then thats something this person should have thought about before hopping in their car.

I simply have no remorse for people who choose to drink and drive.

offtotheright 8 years, 3 months ago

Heck, the person can get caught smoking weed in Lawrence for the first time and it will only cost about fifty bucks!

Todd 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm not a fan of fixed sentences. ie. 1st DUI = 1 year in jail. Imagine the person driving was barely over the limit, there's no damage or reckless driving, AND they are a single parent to a gaggle of kids with no other relatives. See why you don't want to use a formula to compute punishments?

offtotheright 8 years, 3 months ago

I find it safer to stay at home on New Years Eve.

italianprincess 8 years, 3 months ago

The drunk driving laws here in Kansas need to be changed. I feel that when a person has to much to drink, gets in their car or anyone elses car for that matter and drives then they are selfish. They are a danger to others and take a chance of taking a persons life.

This guy that hit my son to me is a BIG LOSER. This is hid first OUI and I believe he should serve 1 year in jail. I believe anyone with a first drunk driving charge should serve one year. They should have their drivers license taken away, be on probation and do some type of community work.

This guy has 6 counts against him and if I have my way about it I will add one more. He goes to court on the 10th of Feb and we got a letter the other day from the city prosecutor..........the city has filed crimminal charges against him. He took his step dads car, was wreckless driving, hit my son's car, left the seen, was driving on a suspended license and is on probation. Hes 22 and I hope they send him to jail until hes 25. Maybe sitting in there for a few years will help him grow up.

The laws here truely suck and need to be addressed. Driving drunk is wrong and the person should have to pay for along time for doing so.

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

Marion

Hopefully over the years you have learned to watch out for the floor. I try to avoid the marriage of my head and the floor as often as possible.

Todd 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey, I might not be using the correct legal term but it's happened. When I lived in Austin they were having problems with drunk drivers leaving this certain establishment. So... the police setup a check point on the road to said establishment. Well, what do you know the folks that got busted were all rich and had good lawyers and the next thing you know the whole lot of DUI charges are being dropped.

The legal terminology escapes me since it all sounds like so much mumbo-jumbo after awhile. The jist is the the police aren't allowed to single out part of the populance to come down harder on. Imagine if the mayor wanted to get rid of gay bars. Then he could just park cops outside the bars and bust all the patrons for everything from busted headlights and littering, to DUIs and unserved warrants.

So... although I don't defend folks driving under the influence I defend everyone's legal rights to be treated equally under the law.

Eric Beightel 8 years, 3 months ago

Marion -

That made me laugh out loud in my cube.

The floor, the old wooden booths, etc have all ambushed me a time or two in my younger days at the Hawk.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 3 months ago

Todd: Um, sorry, but you are wrong. A cop sitting across the street from a bar and watching patrons leave, then arresting one of those patrons for drunk driving is NOT entrapment. The cop did not force the person to drive drunk. The cop did not even entice the person to drive drunk. They chose to drive drunk on their own. Merely being in the area when they choose to do so is NOT entrapment. Educate yourself.

As far as the three DUI's for the whole night goes, the cops were so busy responding to other calls that they didn't have a chance to monitor traffic.

delta77 8 years, 3 months ago

When I got rear-ended by a drunk, I ended up making $500. All's well that ends well!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow. 14 for the whole town? That would explain the 3.

coach 8 years, 3 months ago

3 really isn't alot, however I do know how busy the Police were. They had about 14 Officers on the street. The call load was so backed up already there were fights in progress and no available Officer's to respond. They ran from one emergency call to another, leaving the other calls to back up. So don't blame the police on this one. People expect to get the response of 100 Officers when there are only a handfull to go around. I feel sorry for these guys.

offtotheright 8 years, 3 months ago

In New Orleans they have 'drive thru Margarita sales'. Just like a taco bell, margarita to go!

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

In Kentucky, they have drive through alcohol sales.

spikey_mcmarbles 8 years, 3 months ago

I like that liquor delivery idea; I wonder if it's legal?

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Entrapment definition from http://www.lectlaw.com/def/e024.htm "ENTRAPMENT - A person is 'entrapped' when he is induced or persuaded by law enforcement officers or their agents to commit a crime that he had no previous intent to commit; and the law as a matter of policy forbids conviction in such a case. However, there is no entrapment where a person is ready and willing to break the law and the Government agents merely provide what appears to be a favorable opportunity for the person to commit the crime. For example, it is not entrapment for a Government agent to pretend to be someone else and to offer, either directly or through an informer or other decoy, to engage in an unlawful transaction with the person. So, a person would not be a victim of entrapment if the person was ready, willing and able to commit the crime charged in the indictment whenever opportunity was afforded, and that Government officers or their agents did no more than offer an opportunity. On the other hand, if the evidence leaves a reasonable doubt whether the person had any intent to commit the crime except for inducement or persuasion on the part of some Government officer or agent, then the person is not guilty...." Several other sites gave similar definitions.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

If we had liquor store delivery in this state, I'd never leave the house.

Todd - Yes, I understand that. My post to IP was something she could do to see how many Nutjobs are out there and why 3 is a laughable low number. It is of my opinion that the police shouldn't have to work to hard to find drunk drivers. They just need to park at any Taco Bell at 2 am.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the bars and liquor stores should start delivering to people's homes, and that way they don't have to drive home drunk, and don't have to take personal responsibility for their own actions.

And yes, I'm being sarcastic, for those of you who can't figure it out on your own...

Todd 8 years, 3 months ago

If the police wait outside of bars to bust drunk drivers the charges won't stick. When police do that it's called entrapement.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

IP: you do not need to apologize for being an "angry Mom!"
get more angry and make more noise!

three probably represents that LPD was pretty busy with other stuFf, and sadly, dui checklanes, and random enforcement are rather low priorities I suspect.

second DUI driver loses license, like for 20years, and whatever car he/she is driving should be immediately siezed by the police and disposed of, unless it can be demonstrated that the DUI-jerk/jerklette stole it.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 3 months ago

When I was seventeen I was also struck on the head by a blunt object while visiting the Jayhawk Cafe.

I'd gone out with college buddies from the dorm for the second beer of my life.

Well, the second quickly turned into the third and a fourth and.........

After an unknown number of beers I was struck in the head by the floor which I had done absolutely nothing to.

Thanks.

Marion.

italianprincess 8 years, 3 months ago

born,

I have reason to complain as my son was hit by a drunk on the 18th of December. This 22 year old was driving on a suspended license, hit and ran, was on probation........I could go on. Call me an angry mom if you want to I truely don't care at this point.

This guy goes to court on the 10th of Feb, so we will see what happens then. I want this guy to pay for what he did to my son's car. I thank God he was watching over my son and his friend and that they didn't get hurt. This guy needs to pay for what he did.

In the mean time if you are going to drink to much, then catch a ride with someone else.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

I respectfully disagree that the city or a private entity should be expected to provide subsidized transportation for people who knowingly get drunk without a plan to get home legally. Besides the issues with who pays and personal responsibility it is logistically a mute point. The number of Drunks on NYE outnumbers the miniscule cab fleet in this town.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

IP - I agree with you but that is not the reality. I think it's shameful only 3 people were busted. I assumed that was a light number on a normal weekend in Lawrence during the summer. I don't mean to sound demeaning... but go down to Mass St. on a Friday night and just walk it. Notice how many obviously drunk people get in their cars after leaving the bars.

born1980 8 years, 3 months ago

It helps when there is an alternative for people, like free cabs on New Year's. Instead of complaining why not focus on the positive.

italianprincess 8 years, 3 months ago

The reason for my answer of " Only ?????? " is I have a very low tolerance for drunk drivers now. Why anyone knowing they are drunk try to drive is completely selfish.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

3? LPD must of had the night off.

joepublic 8 years, 3 months ago

I am sure that there were plenty more drunks driving and just did not get caught. Fortunately there were not any DUI crashes where an innocent life was lost.

As fas as only???? Well, it seems like a low number af arrests considering the weekend.