Archive for Tuesday, January 3, 2006

Baldwin residents told to boil water

January 3, 2006


— Baldwin City residents were told this afternoon that they'll need to boil their tap water because a line break has caused the potential for bacteria to leak into the city's water supply.

"This boil water advisory will remain in effect until further notice, but it is anticipated that it could be two to three days until the water system can be sufficiently checked for contaminants and the water determined safe to drink," according to a statement released late this afternoon by the city and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment

KDHE and the city said a problem in the water supply line between Lawrence and Baldwin has caused water levels in the city's two water storage tanks to drop significantly. A valve in the supply line malfunctioned and Baldwin City Public Works is working to repair it.

Because of the valve malfunction, some Baldwin water customers are currently experiencing low water pressure, while others are receiving no water at all at this time, according to the city.

The drop in pressure leads to the potential for bacteria to enter the water supply, according to the city and KDHE.

The city and KDHE isssued the following recommendations:

¢ Boiling procedure: Bring water to a vigorous rolling boil and sustain boiling for a minimum of one minute. Boiling longer than three minutes may adversely affect the quality and taste of the water.

¢ Use only boiled water for drinking, diluting fruit juices and all other food preparation.

¢ Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker. Remake ice cubes with water that has been boiled.

¢ Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for a least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

¢ Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing or using backyard pools so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.