Saudi Arabia Security officers fought an intense gunbattle with suspected al-Qaida militants Monday, killing five people sought in last week's brazen attempt to blow up a huge oil-processing complex with car bombs.
A sixth suspect was arrested uninjured during a simultaneous pre-dawn raid in the same part of the capital, the Interior Ministry said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency.
"We think all the men involved had something to do with the Abqaiq attempt," the ministry's chief spokesman, Lt. Gen. Mansour al-Turki, said, referring to Friday's failed attack on the world's biggest oil stabilization plant.
Al-Turki said the dual raids came after surveillance operations revealed the location of the suspected militants.
The Interior Ministry said gunfire erupted when officers confronted the five militants.
"After a fierce exchange of gunfire, security forces were able to control the situation in a short time, killing all five at the scene," the statement said.
The sixth man was captured elsewhere in the neighborhood, the statement said.