Archive for Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Semiautomatic rifle seized in downtown lot

February 22, 2006

825 New Hampshire

Lawrence Police seized a semiautomatic rifle and ammunition from a vehicle in a downtown parking lot late last week after a passer-by spotted it in the vehicle's open trunk.

Police were called about 8:30 p.m. Friday to a city parking lot at 825 N.H., according to a report released Monday. They eventually made contact with a 27-year-old Eudora man who admitted the gun was his. He told police he had been trying to pawn it earlier and that he didn't realize he'd left his trunk open.

Police seized the gun, an MAK-90 rifle, and issued the owner a citation for having a gun near a bar.

A recently changed city ordinance prohibits people from having a gun within 200 feet of a bar. The law previously said people couldn't have a gun in close proximity to a bar but didn't specify a distance.

Comments

Kristine Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

Does this mean I can't go out to breakfast after deer hunting?

hawkbygod 9 years, 4 months ago

Does this mean we aren't going to let people from Eudora come to Lawrence anymore? Man, I have friends from Eudora, that would suck...

michial2 9 years, 4 months ago

What this means is NO you can not go to breakfast after hunting.All it takes is some antigun to call the police. All of downtown is NEAR a bar, and our (do what they want PD) gets to make the determination if you ar near a bar!! I own leagal gun and i do bussiness downtown ,am I a criminal? I agree the trunk should have been closed, but that would not have mattered had the gun been in a leagal gun rack in a pickup. The ticket would have still been the same.

What right did they have to take the gun!! Between this and the helicoptor I am begining to wonder if this is russia and where our rights are going?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 4 months ago

Yep, our rights are just going out the friggin' window!! First, we can't carry around semi-auto assault rifles in our open trunks. Then, the police use a helicopter to light up a car stop or two. What in heaven's name is this world coming to?? Next thing you know, they'll tell us that we can't drive drunk!

Seriously, you all need to try living in another country for a while. You'll have a much greater appreciation for our country. When the founding fathers said that our country is to be free, they didn't mean "do whatever the hell you want, whenever you want."

Gaznuts 9 years, 4 months ago

This story is about me, it was my rifle they siezed. My key chain has a trunk release on it, and was ACCEDENTLY pressed while putting the keys in my pocket. Could have happened to anyone(but the writters/ police forgot to state that). This article makes it sound like the ammo for the rifle was in the weapon or at least loaded into a magazine, it was not. The ammo was in the front of the car, locked and the rifle was in the trunk(with no ammo) I am just suprised that the article says MAK-90. Further more I just want to draw attention to the fact that the community center is across the alley from the bar Brothers. The community center for those that dont know has a range in their basement, and anyone that goes there to shoot is breaking the law. Also i would like togive my apologies to ALL of those people that live along Mass. street and New Hampshire, and Vermont, and anyone that lives near a resturant, beacause ALL of their second admentment right has just been violated with the passing of this law.

spikey_mcmarbles 9 years, 4 months ago

Marion:

Is one of the businesses you mentioned Ernst Hardware?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 4 months ago

Marion: I think you need a hobby other than trying to cause grief with the city.

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

blinks

Knife with a blade of more than three inches?

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Wa still serve booze? And doesn't the sushi chef stand behind the counter openly brandishing a knife that's more than three inches long?

Doesn't any restaurant in town have, well, carving knives and cutting knives that are longer than three inches? Hereford House hands out steak knives like candy, and serves a great deal of a variety of kinds of alcohol.

If there's no exemptions at all to that law, it's utterly unenforceable. I have, myself, broken it by using a steak knife on my dinner. In fact, if you buy a knife set at the Bay Leaf, I'm not sure you can get it to your car without breaking this law - even if you don't take it out of the box.

michial2 9 years, 4 months ago

The helicoper mentioned was patroling the downtown bars at closing!! Iwould still like to know what right they had to TAKE the gun ? And will it be returned? Hell our great paper is censering our word by deleting post! The very right that they have to thank for their existance!

Gaznuts 9 years, 4 months ago

I haven't the slightest clue how this will all play out. I dont know if I will have to serve hard time for my heinous crime or if I will have to simply pay a fine. At this time I am speaking to a lawyer, hopefully this will all resolve quickly. I am concerned for my situation, but I am almost as concerned for the people that live along These routes that have had their rights violated. I am upset that the police are alowed to carry their weapons even though the law states no exemptions for them to do so. I am astonished that there are not people filing suit For their rights being taken away. I am not amazed that our awsome city commisioners passed a law and then redefined that law, but addressed none of the obvious concerns that this law imposes. I find it comicial that there sits a law that states that there can't be any dangerous weapons near or in a bar, but they dont define this term. I think that the comissioners, once again, passed a hasty ineffectual law instead of the right law.

bthom37 9 years, 4 months ago

observer; in Gaznut's original post you'll note that it was an accident. The trunk release was on the keychain, and accidentally pressed. If you'll remember, Friday was brutally cold, and perhaps he was hurrying off to an assignation, and didn't notice the trunk was open?

Maybe the trunk wasn't fully open, in which case, might not be the most obvious thing in the world.

Gaznuts 9 years, 4 months ago

Observer, if I had noticed it was open I would have closed it. If I simply failed to close it all the way it would still be an accident that it was open. I stated that I have a keychain with a trunk release on it, if I was putting the keys into my pocket at 25 30 ft(affective range of said keychain) Then I wouldn't have been able to hear the latch being engaged. Also I would agree that this is being made into something bigger than it should be, I shouldn't have been sighted for it in the first place.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 4 months ago

The police were not aware of the circumstances before talking to the gun owner I'm sure. This one will get worked out. If I were the gun owner would I be upset...likely.

This is one of those ordinances where discretion is advised and used as a tool when situations arise. Even this ordinance likely would not have prevented the shooting on Mass Street.

Ernst Hardware will not be closed tomorrow. At most a refined ordinance may be the answer.

Kristine Bailey 9 years, 4 months ago

I have dropped a deer from 200 YARDS( that would be 600 feet) on several occasions. I guess it's a good thing the gang bangers are into hand guns. Maybe the city could provide a map with the circuitous route one would have to take to drive through Lawrence if you had, gasp, a gun in your vehichle. Marion, you go girl! Let me know if you need back up at a Commission Meeting. I was under the impression that you could walk around with a rifle over your shoulder as it would not be concealed.

black_watch 9 years, 4 months ago

Rancho - marion is a dude.

you can technically walk with a rifle on your shoulder - however, as happened to one fellow, you can be arrested for 'causing a disturbance' because many people will be disturbed by the sight of a person carrying an open firearm and call the police.

So, in effect, you cannot walk down the street with a firearm legally. Period.

Is it better to conceal illegally and not be able to even legally use the thing if in a confrontation, or to get your butt kicked and/or shot by someone else carrying illegally?

hmmmm.