A Lawrence man charged with killing three people in a fire at Boardwalk Apartments now faces additional charges related to injuries suffered by the fire's survivors.
Prosecutors have filed eight counts of aggravated battery against Jason A. Rose, 20, on top of the three counts of murder and one count of aggravated arson he already faced. Evidence in the case is expected to be made public for the first time today, as Rose begins a preliminary hearing on the charges in Douglas County District Court.
The hearing is scheduled to last up to three days.
Neither Dist. Atty. Charles Branson nor Rose's attorney, Ron Evans, could be reached Tuesday for comment.
The decision to file extra charges against Rose didn't come as a surprise. At a hearing in December, Assistant Dist. Atty. Amy McGowan told Judge Jack Murphy, "there will be more charges coming prior to preliminary hearing," but didn't specify what they would be.
Aggravated battery, a felony, in this case means "recklessly causing great bodily harm" or disfigurement to another person.
Rose, who recently had moved out on his own after living in foster care, is charged with setting the Oct. 7 fire that destroyed a building at Boardwalk Apartments in the 500 block of Fireside Drive.
The fire killed KU student Nicole Bingham, electrician Jose Gonzalez and social worker Yolanda Riddle.
Boardwalk Apartments Fire
More on the Boardwalk Apartments Fire
- 6News video: 'Boardwalk Fire Trial' set to begin (02-01-07)
- 6News video: Confession in Boardwalk fire case under question (09-19-06)
- 6News video: Fire victims struggling with medical bills (08-09-06)
- 6News video: Fire victim shares story of survival (11-27-05)
- Judge allows confession in murder, arson case (02-02-07)
- Arson suspect wants statement off record (09-20-06)
- Boardwalk fire victims see some money from state (08-10-06)
- Time barely starting to heal wounds (02-27-06)
- Agent: Design helped fire's spread (02-24-06)
- Deputies honored for bravery (01-25-06)
- Photo Gallery: Jason Allen Rose
- Photo Gallery: After the fire at Boardwalk Apartments
- Photo Gallery: Fire at Boardwalk Apartments
- More in 2005 Boardwalk Fire Â»