Archive for Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Lawrence-based soldier killed in Iraq

February 21, 2006

A Lawrence-based member of the Kansas National Guard was killed in a bomb attack in Iraq on Monday, officials said today.

Spc. Jessie Davila, 29, of Greensburg, was a member of Company A in the 2nd Battalion, 137th Infantry. It was not immediately clear if other members of the unit were injured.

The battalion's 120-member Company A is based in Lawrence. Battalion headquarters are in Kansas City, Kan., with another company based in Wichita.

Comments

tgibson 11 years ago

i went to high school in Greensburg with Jesse. he was a good guy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Rhoen 11 years ago

Thoughts and prayers to the family and a blessing on his soul. And prayers that this outcome of this endeavor in the Middle East in, in the end, be of some benefit to humanity.

Jean1183 11 years ago

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of this fine American soldier.

Carisa Stejskal 11 years ago

I lived next door to Jesse growing up and remember him as a kind and good hearted person. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

mztrendy 11 years ago

How horrible. I feel for this man's family and friends.

Jamesaust 11 years ago

I've been through Greensburg many times. A very sad occurence for the community (let alone the family).

Ember 11 years ago

Ten will get you twenty Mr. Phelps will be putting in an appearance.

I will most likely drive by the cemetary, if he is buried here in Lawrence, and if I see Phelps and Co. out and about causing a ruckus, I'll definately stop and lend a hand in encouraging him to leave well enough alone, although I will be privately hoping he, or one of his, takes a swing.

I feel sorry that this gentleman has died, though, but he knew the risks when he signed his name on the dotted line, so to speak. I am sure he aquitted himself well and did his duty as a member of the Armed Forces.

It will be small consolation for his family, but it is a damned sight better than him being executed for several murders, or something equally horrendous. At least this way, there is a measure of pride allowed for his family through all of this.

But that is just my opinion, and having grown up in a military family, my views on this are a bit jaded.

I hope no one takes offense, since I am really not meaning any, well, none to any except Freddie boi. I like offending him. It's funny. His eyes bulge out slightly, or at least they did the last time I flirted with him. Granted, I'm straight, but he didn't know that.

He just invites abuse, though, and to refuse would be impolite.