Archive for Friday, February 17, 2006

Mother testifies in hearing over death of 5-month-old girl

February 17, 2006

The mother of an infant found dead in an apartment at Edgewood Homes in east Lawrence took the stand today in Douglas County District Court as the preliminary hearing gots underway for a man accused of killing his 5-month-old daughter.

Jay Decker is charged with felony murder and child abuse in the death of Risha Lafferty in October.

The girl's mother, Brandi Hendrickson, testified about nearly a half dozen previous incidents while Decker was watching the infant -- including a near-drowning in a bathtub.

Hendrickson is charged with felony aggravated child endangerment in the case. Those charges will be reduced to a misdemeanor in exchange for her testimony.

The hearing is expected to last the rest of day.

For more on this story, see the 6News reports at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Sunflower Broadband's channel 6 and pick up a copy of Saturday's Journal-World.

Comments

badger 8 years, 10 months ago

There used to be several comments on this story.

Admittedly, they're not much worth missing, as they were generally nasty, but I wonder where they went?

carrieann1977 8 years, 10 months ago

charges will be reduced to a misdemeanor in exchange for her testimony.

that is bull. she did this and she is getting away with it. look at the evidence. there is more to this.look at what she did to her oldest child. and now she is getting a lesser charge bullsh##. what about my friend who lost his child because of her? jay we know you and love you the truth will be heard .soon and loud i hope.

editor 8 years, 10 months ago

Hi folks: terribly sorry about the comments on this story disappearing into the ether.

One of our programmers made a bit of a mistake, deleting some stories.

We had to repost and recover those stories, the comments to which were unfortunately lost.

carrieann1977 8 years, 10 months ago

The 'mother' should be on trial as well.

she should be in jail or worse.but she is lying to cover her big butt.

badger 8 years, 10 months ago

editor:

Thank you. I figured it was something non-nefarious, but curiosity rules my life.

JenCoop1982 8 years, 10 months ago

All I know is that I have a little girl of my own and I know I would NEVER let my child be in this situation! She testifies of other times.......that says it right there, she should be rotting in prison. There shouldnt have been a first time let alone a second or third time!!!!! If this were to happen to my child even once I would be sitting in prison myself and someone would be planning to pay a lot of doctor bills....maybe even a funeral! Sorry that may sound a little harsh but someone has to stand up for the little ones who cant defend themselves!!!!!!!! May Risha rest in peace.

lizzyp13 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey, hey!! I'm actaully glad the comments disappeared...hehe because most on this page were negative, now they're happy!! We miss Risha, we really, really do. Way to go Brandi!!