Archive for Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Trafficway meeting canceled

February 15, 2006

A joint meeting between city and county commissioners to discuss the future of the South Lawrence Trafficway with state transportation leaders has been canceled.

The meeting was scheduled for 7:30 a.m. Thursday, but was canceled after Sally Howard, chief counsel for the Kansas Department of Transportation learned she would be unable to attend because she will be testifying before a legislative committee.

The meeting may be rescheduled, but a date hasn't yet been set.

Mayor Boog Highberger asked for the meeting as part of his efforts to convince state leaders that the uncompleted portion of the trafficway should be built south of the Wakarusa River. But two of the three county commissioners have supported a 32nd Street route for the trafficway, which would run the road through the Baker Wetlands. KDOT and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers also have supported the 32nd Street route.

Comments

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

real story why Sally and them KDOT poobahs couldn't make the meeting. they realized they couldn't make to the meeting in time because: 1. traffic congestion caused by massive downtown sink hole; 2. massive general congestion caused by roundabouts and other "traffic calming" devices; 3. unremitting congestion on 23Rd for lack of an slt; 4. 31% of our streets are "broken" causing further detours and delays.

no wonder!

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

haven't heard, are they going ahead with the stupid plan to put in roundabouts on east 13th? nice to slow down them hearses!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

What plan are you talking about, BG? Got a link to the story where this is discussed? Or is this just another one of your misinformed rants?

Richard Heckler 9 years, 4 months ago

FYI

The TSC voted to support the request for traffic calming.

Types of devices will be chosen by neighborhood members at a later date.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

Bonzoid, once again, your hot air don't even float a balloon. I get back on here, and Mr. "the traffic bumps are nice" Merrill confirms it. there've been at least two recent stories...try reading instead of your information-free-eruptions!
I'm so happy [not] that the TSC voted to support this! can we vote the TSC members out? impeach them? 13th st. sure as he|| don't need some kind of traffic calming! palease!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the link, BG. And while you're futilely looking for that link, try taking a reading course so you can understand merrill's post wherein he states that there ain't no plan yet.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

didn't need to post a link for you bonzo, Merrill confirmed that there was a proposal.
it is amazing that you even know how to type. please try harder to consider some form of factual information before you start emmitting your noise.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

You still can't read, can you?

There is a proposal for traffic calming, and how that will be achieved has not been planned. It might include a roundabout, and it might not. The previous article in the JW you refuse to link made no mention of roundabouts, but it did mention traffic islands.

Any mention of roundabouts came from the same old tired and sophomoric posts that bring up roundabouts no matter the topic.

So who is emitting noise?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

I assume you're referring to me, shane.

I'm not Mrs. Lewis, but judging from your posts here, I can see why you didn't do so well in her English class.

shanefivedyes 9 years, 4 months ago

Yea, but I have loads of common sense and know how to think for myself, not just follow whatever the left is saying. I still think this is you Mrs. lewis

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

Yea, you do a great job of independently thinking whatever Faux News or Rush tell you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

So why do you have this fixation with Mrs. Lewis. Did she refuse to have your love-child?

shanefivedyes 9 years, 4 months ago

No I wasn't ready to have kids at 17 but if you remember you were. I watch CNN and read LJW and any other newspaper I can find. Thank for taking the time from grading everybody's papers to chat.

Godot 9 years, 4 months ago

Are potholes among the choices for the 13th Street traffic calming project?

You are going to have to keep building those obstructions, Merrill, because every time you throw one up, you re-direct the drivers to the nearest unobstructed street. Your work will not be done until all through streets are thoroughly obstructed, or until your term on the TSC is up, whichever comes first.

The Traffic Safety Commission is charged with "expediting the flow of traffic." Since when does "expedite" mean "impede?"

Godot 9 years, 4 months ago

Bearded Gnome, members of the TSC board are appointed by the city commission and serve a term of 3 years. The terms of three commissioners expire April 30. Merrill's term doesn't expire until 2008.

We have unelected, unaccountable officials making decisions to spend our tax dollars on projects that affect the quality of life in our city.

Remember this the next time we have a city commission election. Hold the commissioners responsible for the actions of their appointees.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 9 years, 4 months ago

Uh, Godot, it is called the Traffic "Safety" Commission, not the Traffic "Speeding" Commission.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

thank you GOdot.
THEY ARE NOT charged with causing traffic congestion. we must indeed remember this TSC in the next city commish election. thanks.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 4 months ago

AHH Bonzo. I didn't give you alink because in your liveral[liveral=liberal] lifestyle you've apparently gotten used to having your information spoon-fed to you, and I didn't want to continue to feed that dependency.
here's what I'd planned to post before I read these current posts here:

Bonzo, I didn't give you the link because you need to learn how to do a little research.
1. did it occur to you that I might;'ve commented under the article(s) in question, thus for less than five minutes' time, you could look back in my recent posts; and besides, if you read there, you might learn something!

1. there is a search box on this very page, try it, it is pretty effective.
  2. learn to look it up yourself, you won't sound quite so empty-headed in your rantings, though that's a tall order.

now, Bonzo, I reffed roundabouts because they're the most obvious symbool of what this TSC has been doing! you actually looked it up and found that I was using a slight hyperbole, and if you don't know what that is look it up too!
finally, whaddya give the chances this TSC, and its history, chooses something other than roundabouts????!????? wouldn't give a nickel against that one.

and being on east 13th, what a great opportunity to pair up hearses and roundabouts! it may not have occurred to you, but besides hyperbole (remember, look it up), I often use humor to make my points. humor is a very effective way to change the perspective of others.
bye-bye