Archive for Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Police captain’s daughter admits to knowledge of money laundering

February 15, 2006

The daughter of a top Lawrence Police supervisor on Tuesday admitted helping launder money her boyfriend made dealing crack cocaine.

Erin Harmon, 25, pleaded guilty to one count of misprision of money laundering, admitting she helped Lawrence resident Darren D. Wilburn by letting him use her checking account and by hiding $11,000 cash in a desk drawer at her office.

Misprision of money laundering means she had knowledge of the crime but failed to report it.

She will be sentenced May 15 and faces a maximum sentence of three years in prison.

The case, investigated by the joint city-county Drug Enforcement Unit, caused friction within LPD. Harmon's father, Kevin Harmon, is one of six LPD captains who are second in command only to Chief Ron Olin.

Kevin Harmon testified as a defense witness at a suppression hearing, where he questioned whether detectives' warrantless search of his daughter's workplace at the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services was legally proper. But a judge ultimately sided with detectives and found that evidence from the search could be used in court.

Wilburn, 30, has pleaded guilty to money laundering and conspiracy to distribute crack cocaine and will be sentenced March 20. Three other co-defendants, Evann A. Hardy, 22, Lamar Johnson, 30, and Robert "Cowboy" Johnson, 52, also have entered pleas.

Correction

Lawrence resident Erin Harmon entered a plea to "misprision of money laundering," which means she knew the crime of money laundering was being committed but concealed it and did not report it to authorities. An article Wednesday gave the incorrect name of the crime.

Comments

avictim 7 years, 10 months ago

Darren a good father, that is a jolke. as a person who has a child with him I can count on both my hands and feet how many times he has seen his son!! Although it is bad to see him in this situation, you see someone's true colors in a situation like this. Which is he hasn't learned his lesson on trying to be a good father and not paying attention to these girls in the street, upon who he talks to and sees. Instead of trying to be apart of his childrens life, and these girls continue to do it. Yes he was doing what he thought was right in order to provide for his family, but even why he was out he never once bought something for our son! but he was around alot. So if any of you girls read this shame on you for trying to come between a father and child, he only has one visit a week, try to take that into consideration. If he asks you tell him you will be in contact through mail, phone, etc. Speaking as a person from experience you don't know how frustrating it is to hear through the grapevine that he is having a girl visit him instead of seeing his children!!!

Decisions 8 years, 1 month ago

You ladies are right, Darren is a wonderful father, brother and son. However, he did get mixed in with the wrong people. And those who he thought were his real friends and family really turned out not to be. I have known him for years and hate to see him in this situation. These women should have been smart enough to know not to get mixed up in this. However, they didn't and now want to play the victim. When they are not at all that. He will do time and they will walk. For those of you who know him, he is doing ok, as good as can be expected. He can use your thoughts and prayers.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

Actually, when I was a kid, my peers had much more influence over me than my parents. I wanted to be liked by other kids, and so I did things that I knew I shouldn't in order to fit in. I cared much more about what other kids thought of me than what my parents thought of me.

Surely this hasn't changed that much?

Motivation 8 years, 1 month ago

Hello, all. I've read through all of the comments posted at this time. This case is extremely important to the LPD. It shows they are doing SOMETHING about the out-of-control drug problem in this high profile college town. I grew up in Lawrence a long time ago, moved away, and came back to see that a lot of people I knew were still in Lawrence sitting around doing the same things they did when we were kids.

I moved back out of Lawrence due to the amount of college kids that are allowed to run around town doing whatever they want and the locals get harassed. I am currently working towards a degree and a career as a motivational speaker. It's not always the parents that create the BAD child. I had great parents and yet I also fell into the "wrong" crowd several times. I want to motivate the younger generations to understand that being cool is not always going against the rules.

McAtee, well, that's a totally different subject. I never met the man. Yes, he is dedicated to his job. However, he needs to definitely look into the way he goes ABOUT getting his information. Lying and manipulating does not enable trust from people whom you are trying to help.

Yes, baby_girl, Darren is an extremely good father to his children. He cares and has a good heart. He unfortunately got involved with the wrong people a LONG time ago. However, it's extremely difficult to be a person in a college town that refuses to pay anyone more than $8/hour due to the amount of college students willing to work for less. This almost forces locals into the drug life to be able to make enough money to live a somewhat normal life.

I said, almost, the strong ones are able to fight the urge and get out of Lawrence and move on. It's not the whole LPD that is corrupt, I know judges and congressmen in Lawrence that are attempting to make a difference. However, there is corruption everywhere you turn. It depends on the individual and the person's intentions.

As for the comment to MOM, no names need be published on this site, and she is entitled to her opinion. Hopefully, Erin has learned her lesson and will avoid this attention in the future.

JimmyJoeBob 8 years, 2 months ago

Have you people read the article here? The cops arrested a cops daughter. Wouldn't they have let her go it the department was really dirty?

JimmyJoeBob 8 years, 2 months ago

If mom13 really had the scoop on the LPD she would have named names by now. Come on MOM let's hear the names of these cops and the incidents. It easy for you to make accusations let's hear who these cops are and the names of the people victimized. Smells like your pants are on fire. I don't know if you are lying or just misinformed about him being demoted but it didn't happen, he was never demoted.

AmyR 8 years, 2 months ago

To Mom 13. I challenge you to be specific reference your complaints about Detective Mcatee. He is committed to his job and the big reason he is not recieved well by SOME of the public is because if you violate the law, he is tallented and dedicated enough to establish FACTS that hold people accountable. For your information, he was not demoted. He left and returned to the LPD. Is it a common practice for an employee to leave and later return to their previous position after it is filled. Use some sense. In regards to your accusations regarding all the bad things you know about him, gather your facts and report them to someone who can make a difference instead slandering him on a public forum without providing specific facts. I would love to hear your reasoning for his departure. In regards to a demotion, you are wrong. I personally know him and he is one of the most dedicated and knowledgable police officers this community is blessed to have.

baby_girl 8 years, 2 months ago

D was a good friend of mine and it's hard to see him in this position. If you all would have been around him without all this stuff going on, you would have seen a different person. He was always trying to take care of himself and give his kids what they needed. Anyways, if anyone knows how i can get a hold of the location to get a hold of him, please email me at Jadedladybug090@aol.com. Thanks.

jdnick84 8 years, 2 months ago

What I hate the most is reading comments by small minded people. For those of you who got off the topic, writing about the road conditions and getting a speeding ticket when YOU WERE SPEEDING, need to check yourselves. So sorry that your ticket went to the city and not right into the officers wallet because that person was doing his/her job. For the person who compared ALL cop kids to ALL minister's kids, apparently we've met or something since you seem to know every single person who's parent is a cop. If we have, then you would know that I've grown up with great parents who taught me right from wrong and made me the person that I am today, serving in the military so people like yourself can pass judgement on me and my family. I never got in trouble with the law b/c I never gave them a reason to put me in that position. I have known the Harmon's for as long as I can remember and Kevin and his wife are great parents, let's not forget that Erin is an adult and makes her own decisions, this just was not a good one. I can't believe that some of you are sitting there writing that there "dirty" cops. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! You've seen too many movies to think that Lawrence has a bunch of dirty cops and that the LPD should be investigated. Let me guess, you got caught doing something that YOU weren't supposed to be doing, right? So, explain to me how that makes the Police Officer in the wrong. I feel sorry that some of you just sit back and criticize a family that you have never met and don't know a single thing about except the rumors that you believe. How about you grow up and stop being judgmental.

Groucho 8 years, 2 months ago

wichita_reader said: I had no idea there was a law making it an affirmative duty to report felonies. Very interesting.

Actually, the reporter might have over-simplified things in the above article. The US statute 18 USC Sec. 4 says: Whoever, having knowledge of the actual commission of a felony cognizable by a court of the United States, conceals and does not as soon as possible make known the same to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

So there are three requirements: (1) you must know of the actual commission of the felony, (2) you must do something to CONCEAL the felony, and (3) you must ALSO fail to report that felony.

If you know about the felony and you simply fail to report it, but you don't do anything to affirmatively conceal the crime, you have not committed misprision as defined by that statute, 18 USC Sec. 4.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

To the other Voice... Thank you for the second post. I did not copy anybody's name, I'm slightly more free thinking than that. Furthermore I've never seen your previous comments on these blogs nor would I ever try to counter someones conservative reasons. That being said I don't blame the Bush admin. for very much, some yes but he is so stupid its easy to pick out his flaws. My supposed "hatred" you speak of in non existent. There is a fine line between crazy and passionate when it comes to what you believe in. And I frankly believe that the majority of problems with society these days can be traced all the way back to one major issue...bad parenting. Now when I say bad parenting I mean that in many different ways, for example; teenage girls who have kids they cannot support and end up living off welfare, even adults who do not think about the repercussions of having a child and not being able to support them yet they keep crapping them out, abusive parents who most likely were abused as kids themselves. That's whats truly scary about society today, if a girl is beat by her father while she is young odds are when she grows up she will go seek a guy just like her father and start the whole process over again with new kids. And as for you my other Voice... I wish you the best of luck raising your family; I know its not an easy thing to do and I respect that your aware of such responsibilities...

VoiceOfReason 8 years, 2 months ago

The_Voice - I did some checking and discovered, after I discovered you can look up people's screen names, that you have been around a long time. I apoligize for the accusation that your name came from mine. Prior to tonight, I have never seen a post of yours, so I assumed that you were new...my apoligies. You can see that I didn't base my screen name on yours, though, since I didn't know you existed. LOL

I stand behind my other comments, however.

VoiceOfReason 8 years, 2 months ago

Groucho, Craigers, and anyone else who may have read comments...please note that The_Voice_Of_Reason is not me. Apparently they liked my name, but disagreed with some of my posts so they chose one that could be easily confused.

That being said, I do agree with SOME of the things my namesake says. I find it hilarious, and scary at the same time, that it is no longer in vogue to blame poor parenting for the poor children that result...who eventually turn into poor adults. Yes, other things can cause kids to turn into bad grownups. But parenting is the number one influence on how a child turns out...hence the ad campaign to talk to your kids about drugs because it will have a bigger impact than their peers.

I'm guessing the "other Voice" was hoping to counter my conservative reason. Good luck, but you won't have much success when you blame everything from bad parenting to the corruption of our local police department on the Bush Administration. Sometimes you just need to step back, take a deep breath, and realize that your hatred clouds what could have, otherwise, been an enlightening point. (pssst...it kinda makes you look a little crazy.)

Oh! One other difference that you'll note is that I don't have time during my day to spend it posting over and over about the same thing. I'm busy raising a family and expecting that they'll turn out to be productive and honorable members of society someday. I clearly don't work for the LPD.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

Add Misprision to the list of bushisms!!!

bert 8 years, 2 months ago

I am so glad my parents weren't held accountable for everything I did. I am so glad they never knew the half of it. This gal is convicted in Federal Court. The above article doesn't say if she was a licensed worker or a clerk. Either way, she is in a lot of trouble. If she had a license, that's gone. Jail or probation won't be fun.

Misprision is a great word. gotta work that into a conversation!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

I need to clear something up. I wasn't making a comment about this and bad parenting. What 'I" was referring to, was that, it's comforting to know, in a human way, that will all that we DO do for our children, they do err. And we all err. None of us are perfect parents, and none of us were perfect children.

And yes, with over 50% of families ending in divorce, more and more "regular" families living in poverty due to this, the children are going to do more bad things. Be less successful. Eminem isn't just talking, he's telling us something, just like Woody Guthrie folks. He's saying wake up, this is your children's reality. They aren't going to be living the American dream of the 60's, 70's 80's that you did. It's another world out there. And I'd like to put in a few good words for the LPD. I've had some good things happen. They dealt with a raw deal from the school district with one of my children in the most precious, respectful way you could imagine. They even supported the child's actions, were very nice and gracious about the whole thing. We also had an employee commit a crime against a child, had an investigation, all that goes with it. They handled it very sensitively. There's only so much they can do. The only trouble I've had was a speed trap that ate up nearly half of a very badly needed income. I forgot and turned left instead of right, ended up on Clinton Pkwy instead of the SLT. Who knew the speed LOWERED as you left town? The children suffered, thanks LPD. My slight error, HUGE cash intake for Lawrence coffers. I hadn't had a ticket since the 70's.

mom13 8 years, 2 months ago

McAtee took a real gold watch from "someone", told them he could go downtown and do whatnot to get it back. Of course he went to get the watch back, it was a gift, and Lo and Behold- "What gold watch?" "don't know what your talking about". That's just one of many instances with McAtee alone. FYI McAtee has been accused of wrong doings and was demoted- does anyone remember that? Pardon me for going off the article. So much to say just not right spot to do it.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

Start listing them off mom, its a free county, just don't say them over the phone unless you want the NSA knocking on your door...

mom13 8 years, 2 months ago

I hear that Voice, they are wasting time and money on those roundabouts, when they could fix some roads that haven't been fixed once. There are so many roads, especially 6th, that have been fixed several times within years of the time before that some roads are forgotten and not even fixed once. That should be a thought/proposal. Oh boy if it weren't for consequences I'd tell every dirty cop story, occasion I could, just to prove to the public what we here in Lawrence are facing and some don't even know.

moosejeffries 8 years, 2 months ago

thats what topeka is doing with the drug cops now{{{

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

vof, thats why I said I was surprised at McAtee. I know a few things about him and they are not good.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

Thanks mom! anyone for redirecting the Lawrence roundabout fund to the lets investigate the dirty cops fund?

mom13 8 years, 2 months ago

I know both parties. LPD is so dishonest. I'm not a criminal but have dealt with LPD and boy they do things so illegal and not by the book to get what they want. Especially Officer McAtee, he's one of the most scandalous they have. People should all just be good people and know not only their basic rights but also their constitutional rights.

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

Cops kids are the same as the minister's child. When your parent is so busy taking care of everyone else there is little left for you. Also there is the idea a cops kid has that says even if they do mess up Dad/mom will fix it for them. I grew up in a Family where Law enforcement was present; for a long time when I would get in trouble ( not big stuff) or was in the wrong crowd and the cops came they would say ( name) you get on home and I got. I don't really have criminal issues but that I am sure is a result of the protective cloaking I recieved. Needless to say that is not the case in my life now, if I were to speed I will get a ticket simply because the cops here do not know me or anyone in my family. cops take care of their own and any cop who tells you diffrent is a liar, but there are some things that cannot be dismissed and that is the case here. you will not often hear me say any cop did well, but this time is the exception McAtee surprised me and I think this situation is a good thing for other kids of cops to take heed of, oh yess some will still cut breaks but one never knows when they won't.

mom13 8 years, 2 months ago

A person can change themself, make their own decisions. Let's not forget friends or acquaintances that may influence lives. There are bad apples in Lawrence too!

wichita_reader 8 years, 2 months ago

Groucho 8 years, 2 months ago

Voice_of_reason, I for one would grant you that parental influence is usually a significant factor in a child's development. I would not, however, make the leap from that to casting blame for the daughter's drug-related criminal conduct on the policeman father without actual knowledge of the two.

Relying only on anecdotal evidence, I have always noticed a certain rebelliousness in the children of parents in positions of social leadership. The preacher's, teacher's, mayor's, and even policeman's child while growing up can feel intense peer pressure to prove that he or she is not a "goody two shoes" like his or her parent. In those cases then it's not because the parent is rotten but exactly the opposite.

Anyway, in this case the father was personally present when the officers obtained consent from the daughter. He testified that he believed they use an unlawful tactic in obtaining consent. Very generally, the idea is that an officer may tell the suspect that if consent is not given then the officer will apply for a search warrant, but the officer may not say that refusal will necessarily lead to the issuance of a search warrant. It's a fine point, I know. See the January 12th article for the judge's decision.

djazz 8 years, 2 months ago

Wonder if anyone has any stats on percentage of strippers who are products of bad parenting?

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

Craigers, Thank you And I know what you are talking about with one parent, My parents divorced when I was 13. and if it had not been for my mother I would probley be slinging crack for money. Thats why I question the integrity of this police captian and his daughter. Sure kids are bound to screw up but she is a full grown women and I think that someone of her age would of known better coming from a police officers family no less.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

Voice of Reason, I would have to agree with you. Parents mold what their kids are going to be in the end. However, I will say that when divorces come into the picture, one good parent's actions can be completely nullified if the other parent is scum. It takes a good set of parents to make a kid turn out well. This is not at all a jab at single parents because in that case the one parent can do a great job as well.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Multidisciplinary SRS is not all rainbows and sunshine, they have failed my family in dealing with my brother and are generally more of a pain than helpful. As For Ember's comment "Bad children are not a result of bad parenting. Why does this falsehood continue to perpetrate itself?" Where do you think most kids pick up their bad habits? Who has the most influence on a child while their growing up? THEIR PARENTS?? Anybody with me on this one? For example go ask any drug dealer, stripper, or porn star if their daddy was a good man and supportive of them while they were growing up. I have twenty dollars that says 90% of criminals and generally bad people come out of bad family environments...

Groucho 8 years, 2 months ago

As to the warrantless search being "illegal," according to the January 12th article in the Lawrence Journal-World that is linked to above (see Internet enhancement), the officers were executing a search warrant at the defendant's home and she consented to the further search of her office:

"She eventually consented to a search of her cubicle at work, where officers found the $11,000 in a paper sack."

Groucho 8 years, 2 months ago

wichita_reader, you missed one detail from the article: "Her plea came during an afternoon hearing in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan." This is a federal case, not a state case. The applicable law is more likely 18 USC Sec. 4. Try this link instead: http://tinyurl.com/7ldac

wichita_reader 8 years, 2 months ago

I searched through the Kansas statutes twice (electronically), and can't find the term "misprision" anywhere. That's why I presume she's being charged under the above law.

wichita_reader 8 years, 2 months ago

Looks like the link only gets you to the Kansas legislature's statute search page. Once you're there, enter K.S.A. 65-4142 and it will bring up the full text of the statute.

wichita_reader 8 years, 2 months ago

I've tried to provide a link to the law under which I surmise the defendant is being charged. Hopefully, it works.

Without knowing all of the facts, it's difficult to know for sure, but my guess is that K.S.A. 65-4142(e)(2) makes the defendant's conduct a drug severity level 3 felony.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Umm..where did you get the idea the SRS employees are all do-gooders? Some are out there crucifying people to cover their faces. It common policy when they make a mistake on something. While most are trying really hard to help people, there is a lot that doesn't get made public. The "OOPS, we goofed files". But we don't want to look like idiots, so we're going to go as far out on a limb as we can to make sure we look like we weren't totally and absolutely wrong. No such thing as an admission of wrong doing from those folks, no sir!

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

There are dozens of exceptions aollowing searches without a warrant including consent of the owner of the property, in this case the State of Kansas. What I find amusing is she worked at the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, a do-gooder, liberal State Agency. Can you imagine the outcry if she worked for Westar or Walmart. We all would be in for YALOEC (Yet Another Lecture On Evil Corporations)!

cutny 8 years, 2 months ago

Wait for it....she's the police captain's daughter. You just KNOW it's going to be probation. MISPRISION of money laundering??? WTF? I like how they have to explain the use of a word that is NEVER in the paper for a run of the mill criminal...just Cappie's daughter. Special treatment all the way around. Probation, a lecture, and some community service. Don't you just bet? Also, where is the information stating whether this is a felony or a misdemeanor...I'm betting misdemeanor

Ember 8 years, 2 months ago

Bad choices by grown adults is at issue here, and they are now going to pay the penalty for making a bad decision.

Oh, and by police mandates, police officers are barred from investigating their own family members, just to avoid any malfeisance on the part of the officer.

Harmon merely testified for the defense. He didn't handle the investigation at all.

Stacy Napier 8 years, 2 months ago

Illegal search

Well the Judge heard it. Did you not read that part. He ruled that is was NOT ILLEGAL. There are exceptions that allow warrantless searches.

Besides that the search was of a Goverment Office. Check with your employers or Schools. You have no expectation of privacy in most workplaces. The desk was owned by the goverment and don't you think that one govement agency can give another consent to search it's property. DUH that is common sense.

I just hope that SRS who is supposed to help people stay off drugs has fired her since she obviously supports drug use, or at least drug use supports her.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Somehow,things like this always just make me feel so much better. I mean,instances such as seeing Tom Cruise rant and rave, or Uma Thurman on Oprah, being TOTALLY insecure and screwed up. And doesn't it let everyone know that not everyone turns out to be "the greatest" parent in the world, and we all make mistakes. And we all want to protect the futures of our silly, stupid, not-thinking young adult children who do the most airhead things sometimes, no matter how intelligent we know they are.

plumberscrack 8 years, 2 months ago

Maybe it's time to investigate 2 nd in command Harmons handling in this case?

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

Ah Corruption, it has been going on for years, probably always. Little Miss will now get a plea bargain and be free to move among us all. I guess the cops figure we have all seen enough shootemup movies and T.V. series that we should know our rights. I just love justice in America.

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

But I guess since the city is too busy with taking away our personal rights, installing useless roundabouts, and generally trying to turn Lawrence into a communist state... corrupt government officials will prevail....

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

O and just incase you all are wondering what the other illegal search and seizure was about... Ask Detective Tyson Randall of the fine LPD who violated by brothers Consitutional rights by conducting an illegal search and seizure of his apt. plus failed to read him his maranda rights not once but twice!

The_Voice_of_Reason 8 years, 2 months ago

Awsome people we have to serve and protect our fair town... Not to be judgemental and all but bad kids are USUALLY products of bad parents. And what ever happened to a small thing called the Consitution of the USA? I'm pretty sure that warrantless searches are ILLEGAL! This is the second time in less than six months that I've heard of the LPD conducting illegal search and seizures. I'm not defending this women who screwed up but I'm just asking who is the public sapposed to trust to uphold the law and the Consitution??? God knows we can't expect our freakin President to uphold the Consitution. Or maybe good ol G.W. is writing his own Consitution and the LPD is upholding that....