Port-au-Prince, Haiti Haiti's interim government ordered a review of election results Tuesday, hours after the leading presidential candidate - who appeared set to fall short of a first-round victory - claimed the count was marred by "massive fraud" or errors.
The order is the first formal step to investigate possible fraud or irregularities committed during last week's vote and the counting process.
"The government wants to make sure that everything with the process is correct," interim Interior Minister Paul Magloire told The Associated Press.
Earlier in the day, leading presidential candidate Rene Preval promised to contest the results. Preval also urged supporters to protest peacefully a day after at least one pro-Preval demonstrator was killed.
Preval said official results "do not correspond with reality."
"We are convinced that either massive fraud or gross errors stain the (electoral) process" Preval said.
The review will be conducted by a commission comprised of the president's office, the electoral council and Preval's party, said Michel Brunache, chief of staff of interim President Boniface Alexandre.
The most recent election results, posted Monday, showed Preval had 48.76 percent of the vote with 90 percent of ballots counted. He would need 50 percent plus one vote from the Feb. 7 election to avoid a March runoff.