Archive for Tuesday, February 14, 2006

New speed limits will stay

Police stepping up enforcement west of Wakarusa Drive

February 14, 2006

Attention, drivers: the speed has been lowered for good on a stretch of road that's about to be transformed from a rural highway to an urban thoroughfare.

Many drivers are being caught speeding in the 40 mph "work zone" area on West Sixth Street west of Wakarusa Drive - the site of a nearly finished $8 million road-widening project. Some drivers question why police are still bothering to stop and ticket people there, given that there's no apparent road work being done anymore.

"There's not an orange cone there. There's no trucks, no bulldozers, nothing," said Lana Nobo-Garcia, 27, who was stopped early this month for driving 50 mph in a 40 mph zone as she drove into Lawrence off the Kansas Turnpike. "I feel like I got bamboozled."

Lawrence police have been busy patroling and ticketing drivers speeding on West 6th Street between the South Lawrence Traffiway and Wakarusa Dr. The area is a work zone and the posted speed is 40-mph.

But work zone or no work zone, drivers should get used to the slower speed in the area. Even after the final touches are put on the project this spring, the speed limit there will remain at 40 mph, Joe Blubaugh, a spokesman for the Kansas Department of Transportation, said Monday.

Since July, police have issued 1,070 speeding tickets on West Sixth Street between Wakarusa Drive and the Kansas Highway 10 interchange, according to Lawrence Municipal Court figures. The biggest month for tickets was January, with 359 of them being issued - more than the previous three months combined, and after most of the work crews had gone.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman, said KDOT asked police to enforce the work-zone speed limit there starting last summer, and that work has continued.

"We've made that part of our regular enforcement," she said. "It's nothing different than what we normally do."

City prosecutor Jerry Little said that in many cases, officers were letting drivers, including Nobo-Garcia, off the hook somewhat by not doubling the fine, which is a standard practice for speeding tickets issued in a work zone. For example, if drivers are less than 10 mph over the speed limit they're getting fined $30 instead of $60.

A stretch of West 6th St. between the South Lawrence Trafficway and Wakarusa Dr. is considered a work zone area and the speed-limit posted at 40-mph. Lawrence police are running radar checks in the area and ticketing many drivers in the area.

Little said a handful of drivers had taken their cases to trial.

"Usually the complaint (from motorists) is that it's not signed very well. They say there are no signs until you get right in to the construction zone," Little said. "But we've had several trials, and the judge has found the signs are appropriate."

KDOT spokesman Blubaugh said the area was likely to remain designated as a work zone until May. He said crews still needed to paint permanent road stripes and install permanent signs, as well as seed and lay sod along the road.

He said the company painting the road stripes only guaranteed its work if it was done after winter ends.

"If the pavement's too cold, the striping won't stick," he said.

Blubaugh also pointed out that two KDOT employees were killed in northeast Kansas in summer 2005.

"There's a reason why we have speed limits out there," he said.

Comments

imagold 9 years, 2 months ago

Bogus. I, too, drive this section of highway twice daily. There hasn't been any construction there for a couple of months. It's nothing but a trap, even if they don't tack on the "work zone" fines. And to lower the speed to 40 is nuts. Why widen a road and lower the speed limit? And why put in what looks to be three new streets for access to this road. (Does anyone else see three stop light intersections in our future?) Let them go to Wakarusa. Isn't that why they reconfigured the 6th and Wakarusa intersection...more traffic? As far as winter temperatures and sticking stripes...what do they want? It was 65 yesterday and we've had the warmest winter on record.

Sandman 9 years, 2 months ago

Oh my gawd, look at that picture.

There are medians! And turn lanes! On a Lawrence road!!!

Where are the round-abouts? Will anyone be able to stop anywhere in the middle of the road and back up traffic because there are no turn lanes??

Are we even sure this road is in Larryville?

Mike Curtis 9 years, 2 months ago

Looks like a lucrative revenue generator!!! If they really wanted to protect us from ourselves, they would lower the speed limit to 25. ...I liked Wakarusa Drive better when it was called Dragstrip Road!

gccs14r 9 years, 2 months ago

How is it reasonable for the limit west of Wakarusa to be 40 when east of Wakarusa it's 45, especially since the limit was 55 when it was a 2-lane road? I smell scam.

NotASquishHead 9 years, 2 months ago

Sandman! There are medians, DOUBLE turn lanes, and no roundabouts because the "road designers" or "engineers" here in Lawrence weren't allowed to design the road... it was all designed by the State.

Thank goodness for the State!

sonny 9 years, 2 months ago

A scam it is. Have you ever wonder why certain roads don't have the speed limit posted at all for a long stretches it's so you don't know it. Makes money I guess it makes sense. Watch out for the hatters.

joepublic 9 years, 2 months ago

For any of those wha have gotten a speeding ticket, "Too Bad". It is the posted speed limit which is the LAW. If you wanna play, you've gatta pay. Speed trap? Nope, who caused you to exceed the posted limit? It wasn't the police, it was you pushing your on your gas pedal. Get over it and obey the law(s). I don't like the speed l imt there either, but it is what it is.

neopolss 9 years, 2 months ago

I think it's been pretty well summed up. This cash cow won't last for too long. joepublic and Porkribs may love this, but honestly, why do we have police waiting out there when there purpose should be served somewhere in the city? The more notorious it becomes for a speed trap, the more it gets avoided, causing congestion in other areas.

I drive fairly slow most of the time, yet even I will admit, there are a few stretches around town with very poor speed limit postings.

ben_ness 9 years, 2 months ago

I hate to agree with porkRibs but he does have a valid point. This is a pretty cut and dry situation.

lunacydetector 9 years, 2 months ago

let me get this straight.......

take a narrow two lane highway with no shoulders. make the speed limit 55 mph for decades.

build a new wide 4 lane with center medians (i say will eventually get ripped out) and make the speed limit 40 mph!

what was the reason for the new highway again?

spikey_mcmarbles 9 years, 2 months ago

The cops would rather run speed traps and get a chance to stick their head inside your car to see what your up to.

The cops aren't interested in going after real criminals, as those people have guns, and you know, that might be dangerous.

lunacydetector 9 years, 2 months ago

eureka! to build on KDOT's 6th street/highway 40's brilliance........

finish the south lawrence trafficway but lower the speed limit to 45 mph.

sometimes my genius amazes me...i should apply for a job with KDOT.

onehotmomma 9 years, 2 months ago

I use the intersection just west of of the Hereford House to get home daily, I see people stopped getting tickets along that stretch of highway at least four days a week. The turnpike isn't as nice as the new four lane, complete with turning lanes and the speed limit on that is 75. If need be, throw a few huge potholes in and raise the speed limit back to 55.

jranderson 9 years, 2 months ago

I see people ignoring construction 'speed reduced' signs constantly. Just because you don't see a truck or workers does not mean you have the right to make a judgement as to whether the speed limit should apply or not.

Same logic: I don't see any cars on the highway, so the speed limit should be waved. I can now go as fast as my car will let me.

badger 9 years, 2 months ago

I don't get the '45 east of Wak, 40 west of it' decision. You're not supposed to drop speed as you head out of town. Kansas in general is pretty horrid about signing work areas. A gentleman I knew got a ticket worth several hundred dollars for going 65 in a 45-mph work zone on K-10 some years back. He'd gotten on at Hwy 7, accelerated to the normal speed, and been pulled over for violating the speed limit posted on the other side of K-7, east of the interchange. There were no workers, no cones, no equipment. He'd never passed the lowered limit sign, though they're supposed to put one up at every entrance to the road. He had to go to court and fight it, and if he'd lost it would have been a couple hundred for being 20 miles over, plus the work zone fines to essentially double it.

Work Zones are for worker protection. If they overuse them, and leave them set for months where there are no workers to protect, they're endangering their workers because people won't take the zones seriously.

You know, PorkRibs, who said anything about the political affiliations of those who object to intensive speed enforcement? Myself, I find excessive speed limits to be a perfect example of protective nanny stateism, a much more liberal trait than a conservative one, and my father (who's voted Republican in every election since the 50s) is the biggest lead-foot ticket dodger I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure speeding crosses party lines, as does the objection to strict enforcement.

You might actually get some credibility someday if you didn't immediately use every opportunity you have to speak as an opportunity to froth against the Liberal Menace.

Dan Simons 9 years, 2 months ago

so we are averaging 10 a day, low cost of 30 per ticket, 300 day * 180 = $54,000 in fines in six months on one road.

dviper 9 years, 2 months ago

Everyone complaining about the speed limit and tickets shut up, slow down and pay attention.

I'm glad the LPD is finally cracking down on this stretch of road. Now if they will start cracking down on the east side of town on K10 by the business park maybe some lives will be saved.

Both stretches of these roads are basically city streets, and now that 6th street has a connection to George Williams Way, we have lots of parents using that road to take their children to Langston Hughes school.

redfred 9 years, 2 months ago

Question to KDOT: if you can lower the speed limit on the West side of town, why can't you lower it on the East side of town by the East Hills Industrial park? This is where all the serious crashes are occurring.

DaREEKKU 9 years, 2 months ago

What a complete rip-off!!! Why don't they spend their time doing patrols where we need it rather than using petty items to suck money out of people's pockets!? What are we, the Topeka Police Department now?!

justthefacts 9 years, 2 months ago

"Blubaugh said development planned for the area will turn that part of the road into an urban arterial similar to 23rd Street."

I drive through this interesection 2 times per day, minimum, and going 40 is real hard to do going down hill coming off 40. Plus, it does appear to have NOTHING around it between the end of Wak interesection and the highway (where it turns into 55).

But the speed is posted. So like it it or not, you better go that speed or face the music if you don't. Until/unless you get the city (?) to change the speed in that area, you can expect a ticket if you are caught speeding.

As for WHY it is so slow...I too wondered..but the above quote says it all, to me. If they anticipate having a 23rd street type siutation there (soon?) it's better to get people used to the speed that is normal for such areas.

But then that begs another series of questions - are they (please say no) going to have a bajillion road cuts for turns into every business, so that people are turning into and out of the highway at all times? And how soon will this new marketing mecca of shops etc. crop up? If this new store/restaurant area is 15 years hence, why not let people go the rate of speed normal for such clear 8 lane roads?

spikey_mcmarbles 9 years, 2 months ago

I reviewed the KDOT plans for the 6th St widening project west of Wakarusa last spring, and the design speed for the project is 55mph. These documents are in the public domain, and anyone can go to the KDOT field office at the highway 24/40 and highway 32 intersection (near the airport) and ask to look at the plans. The engineering department at the city also has at least one set of plans for this particular project that can be reviewed.

It costs more to design a road to safely handle traffic at 55mph than at 40mph, so when was the decision made to lower the speed limit, who requested the change, and who approved the change?

RonBurgandy 9 years, 2 months ago

I really don't think people can complain for being ticketed for going 10 over the speed limit.

"Blubaugh said it didn't make sense to temporarily remove the work-zone speed limit while the work was on hiatus, only to decrease it again later."

This does make sense. But it is rather crappy that it was 55 and now is 40. Is it going to be 40 all the way to k-10? I don't know I missed that in the article. I can see them lowering it b/c they are building up the area, but how much are they going to be building west of wakarusa? If they aren't really building much up in that area in the near future, then they should increase the speed limit again, especially since it would seem to be a safer stretch of road now that it is four lanes.

As far as the east side of town, I am far from a civil engineer, but wouldn't a stoplight at the east hills park help to decrease accidents there more than decreasing the speed limit? Or maybe a combination of both?

Curtis Lange 9 years, 2 months ago

OMG! I got caught breaking the law. Now I want to complain about it. Grow up.

wonderhorse 9 years, 2 months ago

Posted speed limits are the law. What is so difficult about following the posted limits? If you decide to break the limits (and I have done so), then pay the price (and I have done so).

Janet Lowther 9 years, 2 months ago

Porkribs, Just 'cause it's the law doesn't make it right. The law is not required to be either moral, sensible or just: It just has to garner a majority of votes of the legislative body which would impose it.

You are the one who sounds like a modern government-never-does-anything-wrong liberal.

avhjmlk 9 years, 2 months ago

From the article, it seems to me that the 40mph is just a construction zone speed, and it will be back to normal (55 again?) after May...I don't think anyone ever intended for 40mph to become a permanent fixture.

adky 9 years, 2 months ago

This is revenue raising! We all know where the cops sit with their speed guns. It isn't the dangerous stretches of road with a high accident rate - it's the roads with silly low limits where they can catch good people going a reasonable speed for the conditions. Clinton Parkway and 6th west of Wakarusa are always policed. I have never seen a cop with a radar gun on K-10 near the East Hills turn. No money to be made there because you may have to wait half an hour to get someone going 10mph over. Might save a life or two, but since when has that been a concern of LPD?

badger 9 years, 2 months ago

If I knowingly speed and get ticketed, I pay the fine without complaining. As it's happened twice in the last ten years, it's not like speeding tickets really affect my day-to-day decision making.

However, if the road is poorly signed, is the speeding entirely my fault? In Driver's Education, they teach you that, for example, the speed limit for a residential two-lane street is likely to be 20 or 25, and that the speed limit for a larger street is likely to be 35, and that the speed limit for a 4-lane divided highway entering or exiting town is likely to be 45 or 50 - just as a general guide. They tell you to obey posted signs, but if you don't see signs, those are good ballpark figures to keep you out of trouble.

If the stretch of road isn't very well-signed (which it may be and it may not be - I'm disinclined to believe that it is well-signed, based on what I've seen in KS), I'm not sure someone who complains about getting tagged at 50 in the 40 work zone is just 'whining' if between the time they turned onto the road and the time they were stopped, they never passed a sign saying that the speed was lower than on similar roads, and had no indicators other than single signs atop the speed limit signs (the ones they didn't pass) that it was a 'work zone'.

Sometimes, speed limit enforcement is a safety issue, and sometimes it seems designed to increase the 'gotcha' factor. It seems that if they were more concerned about the safety of workers and drivers than about generating revenue through the 'gotcha' factor, they'd have more signs than I remember that stretch having.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 2 months ago

"Get over it" "Grow up" "Stupid" "Shut up"

Warm fuzzies are alive and well!

merrywidow033 9 years, 2 months ago

i agree with kansasland.
about 3 months ago, while driving east along 40 from topeka, i passed a douglas county cruiser headed westbound. he whipped around, and came right up behind me lights a-flashin'. knowing i had cruise set at 55mph i was slightly bothered. what was his reason for pulling me over tho? ONE of my lights for the license plate was out. ONE! he wasn't sure he would be able to read all the numbers on my tag.
lame...

wonderhorse 9 years, 2 months ago

Funny that the Lawrence police department gets criticized for enforcing the law, and also for not enforcing the law.

southdakotan 9 years, 2 months ago

I agree with the posted speed limit. With the designated speed now being 40mph, people (including myself) introduce the "fudge factor" and travel 50 mph. If the road was designated a 55 mph zone, some people would "fudge" it to 65 mph.....which is entirely too fast when you are coming into Lawrence or approaching the K10 interchange.

Although, it is perplexing why you can go 45 mph after the Wakarusa/6th St interchange (as you are coming into Lawrence).

Thanks.

Jamesaust 9 years, 2 months ago

Not that different than Clinton Parkway to the south -- wide-open, double-lane, divided highway with virtually no chance (short of a DUI) for anyone to create an accident at any speed. Yet, one drives for miles at 40 mph.

Jamesaust 9 years, 2 months ago

I also note that I've heard several comments out of town about the west 6th Street "speed trap." (I virtually never drive the road myself.)

compmd 9 years, 2 months ago

PorkRibs, Usually you and I have very different opinions about things, but I find your post at 10:17 rather insightful. Nice.

bmwjhawk 9 years, 2 months ago

Fish in a barrel. It's absolutely ridiculous.

avhjmlk 9 years, 2 months ago

Sorry. Reread the article title--it is 40 for good, apparently. They'll just give up calling it a work zone in May.

badger 9 years, 2 months ago

Macon, the law isn't, "Go 40 on this road."

The law is "Obey the posted speed limit."

If the speed limit isn't posted, then how can one be held to the law requiring obedience to it?

In the case I mentioned above, my friend's ticket charges were dismissed because he couldn't be expected to follow a posted speed limit that wasn't posted where he could see it. If the law was just 'go X speed on this road,' the charges couldn't have been dismissed, because he was in fact exceeding that speed. But the fact that he didn't disobey the posted speed limit because it wasn't posted means he didn't actually break the law. The only speed limit sign he saw was the regular one.

I obey the law to the best of my ability. But that requires that the city, county, and state properly post the posted speed limits so I can obey them.

formerlyKS 9 years, 2 months ago

The 40 mph limit does seem absurdly low, in light of the widening. I used to travel that road when it was 55 mph and had no shoulders...that was dangerous, especially at night when deer would jump out onto the roadway.

Face it, it IS a speed trap, and the LPD will run their public relations machine, trying to tell you that there is a danger of striking workers in a construction zone...when no workers really exist and haven't for the past several months. The same public relations protocol was utilized months (or years?) after the Oakland Expressway interchanges along I-70 in east Topeka were completed...speed traps for the "public safety" were common, with five or six troopers standing guard on the adjacent roadway, with a lone officer pointing a radar gun at traffic and radioing to the troopers standing watch. Of course, no construction zone existed but it was labeled as such.

People need to stop looking at the police as simply an altruistic entity...many cops are power hungry and because they couldn't succeed elsewhere in life, enjoy having the "authority" bestowed upon them by legally ripping people off. Although I'm not advocating speeding and disorderly conduct, a democracy thrives when people can lawfully challenge authority. Never be afraid to take an officer to court, especially if you have the law to back you up. Many cops are ignorant and arrogant and if you challenge them and the institution, you will often find yourself winning in court. Actually, most cops never show up to court when you challenge them: I guess that says something about their integrity (if they are going to waste your time bringing you to court, you have every right to make sure they attend).

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

As cut and dry this may be I think the point of the article is that it's a moronic and absolutely unecessiary limit for that "zone". It clearly is not a work zone and it needs to be a regular zone at the very least. I drive that way 3 times a week and it hasn't had any work in Months. It might be the law but it dosn't make it right. We could rehash all the laws that we used to have that were clearly viloations of rignts etc. the law isn't always right. In this case it is designed to create money for the city NOT for the safety interests for motorists. The motive here is the biggest concern for me.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 2 months ago

Oh my GOOOOOOOD! You people are just flat-out amazing. You bitch about everything! "The police need to do this, the police need to do that!" You are never happy with anything that they do. You bitch because people drive too fast and then, when they enforce the speed limits, you bitch because "it's a scam". Or you say that they should be putting their forces elsewhere.

It's a pretty simple rule of thumb. If you're in a city, don't drive 50mph ya' morons.

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

4 tickets a day for 7 months. Take that revenue and subtract man hours and factor in the other more needy speed zones what you get is a bone head decision.

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

"It's a pretty simple rule of thumb. If you're in a city, don't drive 50mph ya' morons" -#1 Moron HKP

Look like I said i can obey the limit but for that zone it's redicilous. it's not a F'ing work zone and if I can do 40 on Kasold I should be able to do 45-50 thru that section of 6th. I'd rather put police on 23rd or 9th and Louisanna. For me it's not a resource issue. It's a location issue. Locate the speed limit traps somewhere where Safety is more of a concern. But since safety isn't the concern here and revenue is it's a buncha BS.

jfgibson 9 years, 2 months ago

I agree with all of the people who, like myself, obey the speed limits. The police do not set the speed limit, they just enforce it. If you are going ove the posted limit, you are going to get a ticket. If you don't like it go a different route.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 2 months ago

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

" The police do not set the speed limit, they just enforce it. If you are going ove the posted limit, you are going to get a ticket. If you don't like it go a different route."

Ya, but the Police are in control of their quota's. And they capitalize on this in the discussed zone. Tell me that 4.45 tickets a day for the last 7months for a stretch of highway no longer than 1.5 miles isn't excessive and it dosn't represent a speed trap ? Could there be any other indication that this is set up and designed to create money and NOT be initaited for the cause of safety? It's a cop out. No pun intended.

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

"Manson: so sorry, but that section of 6th IS a work zone and it will remain one until they cease to designate it as one. deal with it.'

I could crap in a box and call it a cake too. It's Not a work zone.

Liberty 9 years, 2 months ago

If you people think that you don't like what they are doing, then it would be to your advantage to down-size local government and their revenue. Instead of liking every tax hike and city/government expansion, insist that they down-size instead.

gphawk89 9 years, 2 months ago

Gosh, I remember hitting about 130 on Wakarusa during a late-night drag race back in the late 80's. Seemed like it was way out in the country back then. I guess those days are long gone...

gccs14r 9 years, 2 months ago

Basic speed law: travel at a reasonable and prudent rate for the conditions. Basic rule for setting a speed limit: measure the speed of travelers on an unposted road and set the limit for the 85th percentile.

The fact that thousands of people routinely blow the limit on that stretch of empty pavement at no danger to themselves or others is proof positive that the limit is too low.

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

"The artrticle itself isinflamatory. The area is a work zone, the cops are cutting some slack, KDOT is to blame forthe speed limit until May, and then it will be developed and the zone will go up to 45. TOO SIMPLE FOR YOUIDIOTS?"

The Area IS NOT A WORK zone. What work do you see being done there? NONE. How can a zone of work exist if the work itself is not present. The work is done. Too simple for you ? Idiot.

Like I said I could crap ina box and call it a cake. Does that make it a cake ? How can cake exist in the box if cake is not in fact IN the box.

It is not a work zone. Just because it says it is does not make it so.

Liberty 9 years, 2 months ago

The problem is that government has grown way too big and now they are acting like they are your boss instead of your servant as they are supposed to be here to serve, not dictate.

Take back control of your local government and down size them and yank back on the revenue reins going to city government. Let the 'authorities' know that you are the boss and expect them to serve, not dictate.

nonimbyks 9 years, 2 months ago

Anything to make an extra buck. And to think that on Monday I was doing 60 mph out there on my way to Topeka. And no, there was no construction going on. Comment to self was, looks like a speed trap to me.

Build it and "they" will come. Just.... need a few..... more.... tax dollars.

adky 9 years, 2 months ago

The problem is the choices made by LPD on where to enforce the laws. They choose the easy targets where money can be made. Then when something horrible happens at known accident locations they claim not to have the officers to enforce the laws everywhere. How many hours have been spent on west 6th catching folks driving safely but a few mph over the limit, that could have been spent providing a presence on the road where the poor child was killed? People complained about that road, but report never seeing the police.

Manson 9 years, 2 months ago

Well said.. I feel the same way. It's so OBVIOUS. I don't think the people that got tickets deserve any sympathy. I just don't like the LPD lying to everyone and saying it's an intrest in safety. The primary motivation comes through when an avg. of 4.45 tickets A DAY were issued within a 1.5 mile strech of road for a 7 month period. LPD just needs to nut up and say hey we did this to earn x-tra money. Anything less is a lie.

bige1030 9 years, 2 months ago

Really, this limit is definitely too low. However, we can't blame the cops for enforcing it, since that is part of their job. We must go to KDOT and tell them to remove the "Work Zone" designation until they actually start working on it again. Then, once all the work is done, we can go to the city and county commissions and campaign for a higher speed limit there.

It would be incredibly stupid for them to leave the limit at 40. After all, the speed limit east of Wakarusa is 45, and the area is going to end up no more developed than the portion east of Wakarusa. So why not set the limit to at least 45?

It would be nice to have it set to 55, but that is quite dangerous because there will be development there. There's also the statutory buffer about speeding no more than 10 mph if the speed limit is between 55 and 70 mph. If you're caught, you could still be fined, but it's not a moving violation (K.S.A. 8-1560c) and not public record, nor can it be used against you by insurance (K.S.A. 8-1560d). That might be dangerous in a developed area.

Moderateguy 9 years, 2 months ago

I drive the section in question almost daily, and obey the posted speed limit. The issue here is that the posted speed limit makes no sense, and is in fact a speed trap to generate revenue. If the safe speed of the completed arterial street is in fact 40, why was the work zone not 30? Not to mention that there hasn't been any work going on for the last month or so. I completely agree with reduced speed in work areas, but the traffic folks aren't even following their own logic. The current arterial section between Monterey and Folks is posted at 45. Come on guys, this isn't about safety at all is it?

nlf78 9 years, 2 months ago

I drive this "zone" of 6th St twice a day. Yes, I don't see any work being done and I try to stay within 5 of the speed limit at all times, so I haven't gotten a ticket yet. But I agree with some people saying that there are more dangerous intersections that the police need to govern. Unfortunately...that is not the case. I'd feel alot better if there was more radar done on 23rd and K10 going towards KC. That's just because there are alot of accidents in those areas. I may get slammed for saying this, but this area by 6th & Wak is alot "nicer" and residents on this side of town have more money. Most of the people who live over there aren't going to be hurt that much by a ticket, so unfortunately they probably do see it as a revenue generator.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 2 months ago

So you believe that the LPD and DGSO are enforcing the speed limits in these areas to "make a little extra income"?? Obviously, you don't know what happens with the money that comes from a ticket. Some of it goes to pay for the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center. Some of it goes to a judicial fund. The largest portion of it goes into city funds, not the police departments treasury. Oh yeah, there are NO quotas that officers have to meet. Know what you are talking about before you start spewing crap.

schweppy 9 years, 2 months ago

"The end of law is not to abolish or restrain, but to preserve and enlarge freedom. For in all the states of created beings, capable of law, where there is no law there is no freedom." That was said by John Locke and everyone complaining about this should heed it! I get annoyed when everyone complains about the police DOING thier jobs. I mean, what would you all do if say a construction worker was hit and injured or killed by a speeding motorist?? You would ask, "Why weren't the police out there inforcing the speed limits?"

As Locke said, the end of law is not to abolish or restrain but to preserve. Preserve the freedom of all of us to be able to drive with a sense of safety knowing that the law is there to step in and protect us when someone decides to violate it. Slow sown, buckle up and quit complaining about the police doing thier jobs.

badger 9 years, 2 months ago

'No quotas' is not entirely a universal and unvarnished truth, HKP.

Most departments don't have officially established quotas of any sort, it's true (which is how they look you in the eye and say, 'we don't have quotas'), but some do have 'target enforcement goals', especially for big-ticket weekends like New Year's or St. Pat's when the police are encouraged to maintain a highly visible presence. Sometimes you'll hear that the police 'expect' or 'predict' a certain number of DUIs for a holiday weekend, and you can expect the DUI drill if you're stopped that weekend even if you give no reason for the officer to think you might be impaired (I once asked why I was being given the field sobriety test for a broken taillight and was told, "Well, it's St. Patrick's Day weekend, we're testing everyone").

Friends across different municipalities and states have said that while there weren't official quotas, officers might be called upon to explain why they're making 80% of the traffic stops other officers are making, and told that they need to 'work on maintaining a more visible presence', meaning to stop more drivers.

They've never been told specifically to write more tickets, but they have had some 'casual' observations regarding the number of warnings they seem to be giving, or that they don't seem to be as 'concerned' about driver safety because they're not giving additional tickets for broken headlights or taillights, no proof of insurance, things wrong with mirrors, expired tags, and so forth as often as fellow officers working in the same city.

beatrice 9 years, 2 months ago

manson: "I could crap in a box and call it a cake too." I think I know what mrs.manson is getting for Valentines, and she ain't gonna be happy about it.

Curtis Lange 9 years, 2 months ago

If everyone knooows it's a speed trap, why do the police continue to pull speeders over? As long as that sign is there calling the area a work zone, it IS a work zone. Stop whining and slow down.

Godot 9 years, 2 months ago

Come on, guys. The reason the speed is slowed to 40 mph is to enable drivers to take the time to appreciate the majesty of , and, of course, show respect for, The City of New West Lawrence

killjoy 9 years, 2 months ago

Have we had City Hall checked for lead water pipes?

That would explain enforcing work zone speed limits in areas where no work is being done. This only makes the city and the police look stupid.

Let the work crews set up a temporary flashing light/work zone sign when they show up to work.

It would also explain the traffic misdirecting devices on Folks road South from 6th st. and the roundabouts on Harvard.

Too bad we can't redirect Phelps protesting to "God hates speedtraps."

Someone had an evil idea and I would certainly not condone photoshopping out the word "fag" and adding "Muhammed" to pictures of his group and then mailing them to al jazerra. Yeah, that would be wrong...I didn't mention it. (Just so there is no misunderstanding, I am quoting the Phelps signs; I am not using the word fag as an insult myself)