Advertisement

Archive for Monday, February 13, 2006

Carbon monoxide puts Eudoran in hospital

February 13, 2006

Advertisement

A possible gas leak at a Eudora residence sent a former Eudora city councilman to a Kansas City hospital Sunday afternoon with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Eudora and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical crews arrived in the 900 block of Pine Street around 3:30 p.m. after former Councilman Rex Burkhardt called, saying he suddenly felt light-headed, acting Eudora Fire Chief Mike Underwood said.

When they arrived Burkhardt was unconscious, but quickly awoke and was responsive when paramedics transported him to the hospital.


Emergency personnel prepare to enter the home of a Eudora man, who was taken to the KU Medical Center for treatment because of carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday afternoon. The cause of the poisoning is unknown but is suspected to be a gas leak according to Eudora deputy fire chief Mike Underwood.

Emergency personnel prepare to enter the home of a Eudora man, who was taken to the KU Medical Center for treatment because of carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday afternoon. The cause of the poisoning is unknown but is suspected to be a gas leak according to Eudora deputy fire chief Mike Underwood.

Burkhardt was alone in the house at the time, Underwood said.

Underwood said that the source of the carbon monoxide was still under investigation, and he couldn't tell whether there was a gas leak or if it came from a different source.

Underwood said that this type of problem is common in the winter when people run their furnaces more often, and said that buying and using a carbon monoxide detector could typically prevent similar incidents in residents' homes.

Comments

badger 8 years, 10 months ago

Carbon monoxide detectors are reasonably cheap.

Everyone who has a gas furnace should have one.

If someone you love has a gas furnace and can't afford a CO detector (especially if it's an older model furnace), it's well worth it to just pick one up and give it as a "Happy Belated Groundhog Day" present.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.