Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Father receives letter from missing daughter

February 10, 2006

A Lawrence man who thinks his daughter joined a cult and left town has received a letter from her.

In the letter, Sam Hunsaker said his daughter Lahla, 20, wrote that she had been reading the Bible since she left and was trying to get closer to God without "conforming to the world."

The disappearance of Lahla Hunsaker was reported in Wednesday's Journal-World. Her father said he last saw her Saturday. Two to three weeks ago, she joined a Bible study group, which she called The Brethren. She left her 10-month-old son with her fiance, who lives in Topeka.

After studying The Brethren online, Sam Hunsaker said he expected the letter. Defectors typically send three letters before cutting off communication with family, Hunsaker said.

In the letter, Lahla Hunsaker said her disappearance was not a random act.

"God has been showing me truth. This is why I left (her fiance and son). It was not right by God for me to be in that situation," she wrote.

Lawrence Police took the original letter. Sam Hunsaker has filed a missing-person report.

Comments

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

It's also not right for you to abandon your child either by God. You have been give the gift of becoming a parent due to your choices. This group is starting to bother me more and more.

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

The real God of the bible is revealed and if those actually read the bible and took it at what it said then you could see that these types of cults wouldn't exist.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 11 months ago

Whoa! Is her name Lahla or Lulu? She's a nutball. The lights are on but nobody is home.

It's funny how religions like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, etc. all say they promote peace, yet they have been the rallying cry for some of the most atrocious acts in human history.

Confrontation 8 years, 11 months ago

Hong_Kong_Phooey-I completely agree with your last sentence.

hotmama1 8 years, 11 months ago

Its pretty funny that people have nothing better to do than sit on the computer and talk crap on someone they dont even know. Lahla is my very good friend and I think all of you are nutballs.

hotmama1 8 years, 11 months ago

To the people that dont know lahla and arent concerned about her-GET A LIFE

urthlvr 8 years, 11 months ago

craigers-can you be please specific?

there are a number of Brethren groups out there, most came from the German Pietist movement several hundred years ago. they gave us Old Order German Baptist, the Hutterites, Dunkard Brethren, and Moravian Brethren to name a few.

does anyone know which branch of Brethren this woman joined?

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

overplayed, the catholic school means nothing. I know people that went to a catholic school for just as long as you did and know hardly anything about the bible, so don't think going there designates you as an expert. Study it and you will see that God is a God of power and might not just being passive all the time. The best way to interpret the bible is literally what it says.

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

urthlvr, what are you wanting me to be specific about?

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

I know that it isn't the Old German Baptist, or the dunkard brethren. I know people in those groups and they would never pull you out and completely separate you from your family and your own children. They tend to isolate themselves from technology more than people.

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

No doubt overplayed. I love how people hop on and tell us to get a life for posting on this forum.

wonderhorse 8 years, 11 months ago

urthlvr

Someone stated earlier (or maybe on a different thread), these brethren aren't related to or separated from an established church. They are a cult--just The Brethren.

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 11 months ago

Knock Christianity all you want but it is not the problem. God is a loving God and doesn't condone cults. Nowhere in the bible does it condone leaving your child. God is a God of peace and does not condone killing others or causing violence to get your point across. God is forgiving for everything. He will forgive for having a child out of wedlock. I just get tired of people knocking Christianity. But I guess I am not the final judge so it shouldn't matter.

craigers 8 years, 11 months ago

yes, I will agree with you that there are two distinct covenants between the two. The first is a very strict law that gave little room for error. However, in the second you see the wrath of God which is what is being avoided in the first by following the commandments is poured out on Jesus Christ the one that is our Saviour. Jesus did come to save us all, but those who don't accept that commandment will still receive the wrath of God but it won't neccessarily be instant. Not only is the book of Leviticus used to justify policy on homosexuality but Romans, Galatians, among others that not sexual morality are the basis of believer's feelings on the subject. It is an unnatural relationship and that is an abomination to God. That is what it says and that is good enough for me. In Ephesians it speaks about how those children that obey and honor their parents will live a long life. I do agree that people misinterpret things by saying that God is pouring out judgement on New Orleans because of the Hurricanes. They obviously don't understand that we are in dispensation/time of grace. Misinterpretations lead to a lot of conflict, but the misinterpretations that lead people to think the bible is not the authoritative word of God lead people right into Hell.

urthlvr 8 years, 11 months ago

i was asking which specific group of Brethren they were.

is this the group?

also, cult is such a derogatory term, The Brethren are a religion that many people disagree with.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 11 months ago

You can twist god and religion into anything with a good speech to the weak minded, or the lost looking for answers. The Bible and the Qur'an are powerful books with millions of interpations that smart men like David Koresh, Bin Laden and James Jones explot for there ideals.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 11 months ago

Opps! I looked up on google for the spellings of David Koresh and the Qur'an. I get this weird feeling I am under surveillance now.

wonderhorse 8 years, 11 months ago

cult 1.a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader. 1.b. The followers of such a religion or sect. 2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual. 3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual. 4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease. 5.a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing. 5.b. The object of such devotion. 6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

This group seems to me to be extremist, so I think my description was apt, and not dergoatory. Also, meaning 2. applies, as does 5.a. I don't see where any of this is derogatory, sorry.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 11 months ago

I really love how people get all feisty about defending their god,, who is supposed to be omnipotent and omniscient......If there is a god he doesnt really need your help defending himself! In fact he probably gets sick and tired of all you self righteous brown nosers sucking up to him. I'll ask him next time we go bowling.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 11 months ago

I would assume, gradstudent, that you aren't a parent. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm sure you'll let me know if I am.

No woman with a baby, who is in her right mind, would leave her baby behind. She has been brainwashed by these people, and perhaps that is what the crime is...being coerced by others.

BOE 8 years, 11 months ago

by gradstudent_phd

"Anyone commenting on this person and what they are doing should be sent China to serve the communist party.That would be you people.....scuuuummm.. oh excuse me.. I sneezed "

===

What were you commenting on, phd?

Will that be 1st Class or shipping container?

Steve Jacob 8 years, 11 months ago

Kipnapping is a possiblity. The police can locate her, and ask if she wants to leave. If she does not, nothing I don't think can happen.

If I remember my high school report on cults, sleep deperavation is a good mind control tactic. (On boys/men sex works best-not joking eather, it's used as a recruting tool).

hotmama1 8 years, 11 months ago

This is for overplayedhistory

Im on this website for two reasons. 1) Im worried about my friend and i thought some intelligent people might post some things to learn about these "brothers and Sisters" and 2) I'm doing some research for my phsycology class on how stupid people can be about sesitive issues like this when at first no one really knows whats going on and any person with a heart word be worried and hopefully praying for her family and for her safe return

angel4dennis 8 years, 11 months ago

The world is getting worse by the day with our children missing. Brain washing is a powerful thing, especially when you throw religion into the mix. I am concerned for her and her family but more so concerned for her baby. How sad to know that he may grow up not knowing his momma and the true circumstances around her disappearance. We cannot judge her because we do not know the truth either.

bettie 8 years, 11 months ago

"Why do the police have the letter? I mean WTF? Do we want the police holding our hands and telling us how to live? THE WOMAN IS AN ADULT!"

She is an adult whose father filed a missing person report with - you guessed it - the police.

gradstudent_phd: Where are you attending grad school? Do they have a literacy requirement?

aeroscout17 8 years, 11 months ago

BTW, if you do some research on this group, they don't prey on folks who are, for lack of a better term, below average. Most of those who join are above average in intelligence and accomplishments, and they usually are recruiting near prestigious universities. This is the scary part to me; this means that the tactics employed are very effective and that anyone could possibly fall prey.

Applied_Logic 8 years, 11 months ago

Grad Student, good luck with that one. I tried the other day when the article was posted to ask a couple simple questions: How can a woman that planned to leave be missing? Who has spoken to the fiance to know if she told him how long she'd be gone? What proof, other than personal opinion of 'cults' does the father have that she's been brainwashed? None of those questions were answered. I was just told "Normal, rational people don't do that." Of course, I disagreed. I've known more than a few normal rational people that have 'as adults' taken off for a while without a word to preserve that normalcy and rational. Oh well, dead debate.

Religion, the bible, ah now there is a many twisted topic. Proof that black and white is very debatable. For example, the bible says to pray in private, keep it between you and Him....I wonder, what did that really mean. Sorry, being sarcastic.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 11 months ago

so they go around universities looking for recruits....Hmmmm....I wonder where you could find large groups of naive, just turned legal adults with allmost no real life experience who are away from familiar family settings and are desperatley looking for their place in the world?

Godot 8 years, 11 months ago

If this had happened 30 years ago, would the parents have gotten on the front page of the LJW because their daughter had run off to join the Weathermen, or the Black Panthers, or some hippie cult?

dotteboy 8 years, 11 months ago

hotmama1...sorry about your friend. Consult a dictionary.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 11 months ago

AEROSCOUT: Being smart and having real world knowledge is two differant things.....Hustling someone works on their insecurities and desires, not their ability to write good essays. Plus college students from upper middle class families tend to be more idealistic then poor kids....life hasnt taken a dump on them as much and they have not grown a healthy callus on their soul like the working poor....Not that there isnt poor schleps that get suckered into cults....It's just that they tend to gravitate towards televangelists and pyramid scams.

aeroscout17 8 years, 11 months ago

rednekbuddha: I agree with you completely. The point I was trying to make is that this girl might not necessarily been "crazy" as some have stated. Misguided, naive, inexperienced, maybe. I just hate seeing someone being labeled as a "nutball" or a "Lulu" without knowledge of the person or circumstances.

urthlvr 8 years, 11 months ago

the attempts by parents to kidnap their adult children and have them "deprogrammed" has been judged illegal by the U.S. courts (as well as European courts).

the "brainwashed" theory has also been discredited in U.S. courts. i belive this took place back in the late 80s early 90s.

adults have the freedom to choose what religion they wish to follow regardless of the wishes of the adult individual's parents. as adults we have the freedom to convert or not to any religion.

yes, it is a shame that she left her baby, but there are several Biblical passages that indicate that abandoning family is acceptable Christian behavior. see Luke 9:59-62 or 18:29-30 for two examples.