Archive for Friday, February 3, 2006

Crossing guard returns waves in subdued way

February 3, 2006

The wave is back, sort of.

Sharon White, the school crossing guard in the Prairie Park neighborhood who was asked last week to stop waving to passers-by, has begun waving again, but in a more subdued way.

This week White could be seen giving small waves at the intersection of 28th Street and Kensington Road - but only to people who waved at her first.

White's constant waving was the subject of controversy last week in Prairie Park after a resident called to complain that it was distracting to drivers. After her city supervisor suggested that she stop, she obeyed, but about 50 parents and students rallied near her intersection last Friday to support her.

White declined to talk about the issue on Thursday and said the city had asked her not to speak publicly about it anymore.

Comments

youmustbeEFINGkiddingme 8 years ago

anyone named wench needs cheering up, huh..... hee hee hee

gradstudent_phd 8 years, 2 months ago

Is this a real blog? YOU ARE SOME STUPID PEOPLE

zebra_wench 8 years, 2 months ago

When I saw Sharon wave and smile it made my day. Keep on smilin' and waving. Far more people enjoy it than don't. Thanks for cheering up our days.

KansasKel 8 years, 2 months ago

Those pesky crossing guards are always waving those big red signs with the white letters around, too...it's so distracting! Perhaps we could complain about that, too. (((rolling my eyes))) It's just downright ridiculous that someone would try to be friendly! WHAT WAS SHE THINKING???

Nikki May 8 years, 2 months ago

maroon is a color. Not un pc. ;)

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

it

?

T h a n k s ,

o m b

Marion Lynn 8 years, 2 months ago

Sorry about that!

Forgot my internet protocols for a bit there!

Bugs Bunny speaks on this issue:

Thanks and sorry for the problem.

Marion.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 2 months ago

Ooops.

I'll fix that.

Thanks.

Marion.

Marion Lynn 8 years, 2 months ago

Well, if the waving of a crossing guard causes a driver to lose the ability to drive than that driver needs to turn in their operator's licence.

No one complains about the nice crazy guy who waves at everyone travelling down Ninth Street and most wave back.

I do not remeber that he is a serial accident causer.

Bugs Bunny put it well when he said, "What a M++++N!" but I am told that I cannot say it as the term is somehow now politically incorrect.

Well, Bugs was politically incorrect from the get-go so we'll let him say it!

Have your speakers on:

Thanks.

Marion.

Rhoen 8 years, 2 months ago

Given increasing number of drivers I've seen talking on cell phones, watching DVD's as they drive - and even one witchy-looking black-haired woman who was driving along reading a book! - it seems that someone distracting the drivers' attention back to a roadway full of kids and cars would be a GOOD thing!

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm not complaining about the crossing guard, but have you ever been in a city that had the officers that do the "extra fancy directional motions'? It IS distracting, like a show, it causes people to take their eyes off of what they are doing. The locals learn to ignore it, but others don't. And after what happened this week,(not saying that driver did mind you) do we want our drivers taking their eyes off of the road. even for one second to look at the crossing guard for a HELLO wave, when they were looking at the street and crossing, where they should be? We have a guard in our neighborhood, and yes I see her, and those on the sidewalk, I'm aware and seeing them, but the main focus is still on the road and the exact crosswalk. BOTH sides of the road, looking for children. Not at her alone, over there if she were attracting attention to herself. Ours doesn't do that. She gathers the children very sensibly, watches the traffic, she handles it so well, I've been very impressed. (Sunflower) She's there to care for the children as they get there, and protect them as they cross, not draw attention to herself at all times. Sometimes the children have crossed, or are "around", not on her side, driver's need to be watching both sides, at all crossings. I sure hope that other guard thinks there may be other non-intended consequences to her so-friendly actions.

one_more_bob 8 years, 2 months ago

tazdiva, too bad you missed THE SHOEMAKER INCIDENT! He was all that & a side of fries.

tazdiva 8 years, 2 months ago

I would like to meet the moron who called in the complaint! What kind of narrow-minded, bitter, small individual would get upset about a friendly gesture like a wave. My suggestion to him/her "get a life or get a new one!"

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

begins Cobbler CUONTDOWN

What will he save today?

BAGDER PRO SE

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

Really, this is an old story that needs to be retired. Nothing new or exciting.

bankboy119 8 years, 2 months ago

Of course the city asked het to not speak about it. Lawrence is run by morons.

kumatt 8 years, 2 months ago

Complete nonsense. If I wasn't originally from Lawrence I would think this story was made up. In Olathe, our crossing guards wave at EVERY car driving by. It draws attention to the fact that the driver is passing through a SCHOOL ZONE and should SLOW DOWN. I would bet this resident that complained would be very quick to sue the school district and all crossing guards if her child were hit by a car and would state that the crossing guard was at fault for not doing his/her job of drawing attention to the school zone and getting cars to slow down. Sharon, wave like your life depends on it -- or at least the lives of the children you are helping to protect!!!

harryk 8 years, 2 months ago

She couldn't be nearly as distracting as the fools who dress up like Uncle Sam and the Statue of Liberty and wave at traffic on 23rd Street and Iowa Street.

wolfmn58 8 years, 2 months ago

I bet thats the same resident that had fireworks banded

Rhoen 8 years, 2 months ago

The First Amendment can be waived, but crossing guards' appendages may not. Very interesting.

"Dear News of the Weird ..."