Archive for Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Peace mom’ Cindy Sheehan guilty of trespassing

December 12, 2006

— Cindy Sheehan, who emerged as one of the most vocal opponents of the Iraq war after her son was killed, was convicted Monday of trespassing for trying to deliver an anti-Iraq war petition to the U.S. Mission to the United Nations.

Sheehan and three other women were acquitted of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and obstructing government administration. They will not face punishment as long as they stay out of trouble for the next six months, and were ordered to pay $95 in court surcharges.

They had faced up to a year in jail if convicted of all counts.

"We should never have been on trial in the first place," Sheehan said in a statement. "It's George Bush and his cronies who should be on trial, not peaceful women trying to stop this devastating war. This verdict, however, will not stop us from continuing to work tirelessly to bring our troops home."

Sheehan and about 100 other members of a group called Global Exchange were rebuffed in March when they attempted to deliver a petition containing about 72,000 signatures to the U.S. Mission's headquarters near the United Nations.

Sheehan and the defendants ignored police orders to leave and were reading the petition aloud on the sidewalk when police moved in. The women sat on the sidewalk and were carried to patrol wagons.

Prosecutors said they were arrested after ignoring police orders to disperse.

After the verdict, the women immediately left the courthouse and headed for the U.S. Mission to redeliver the petitions and ask for an apology.

They were met in the lobby of the building by Richard A. Grenell, director of external affairs for the U.S. Mission, and Peggy Kerry, the mission's liaison for nongovernmental organizations and sister of Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.

This time, Grenell took it.

"We accept petitions every single day, even without an appointment. What we don't do is accept them in front of a staged media event," he said.

Sheehan, 49, of Vacaville, Calif., lost her 24-year-old son, Casey, in Iraq on April 4, 2004.

She has since emerged as one of the most vocal and high-profile opponents of the war, drawing international attention when she camped outside President Bush's Texas ranch to protest the war.

Her co-defendants were Melissa Beattie, 57, of New York; Patricia Ackerman, 48, of Nyack, N.Y., and Susan "Medea" Benjamin, 54, of San Francisco.

Comments

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 7 months ago

Yea, she should daily rejoice at her son's sacrificing his life for Bush's vanity war for oil.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 7 months ago

she has been used by both sides and I do not think she has dealt with her sons death at least not compleatly. I am sorry for her loss but she needs to stop getting arrested, that is not really helping her or the anti war movement. I have no lost a child so no I can not relate in that way.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 7 months ago

"You bring this up constantly, just the facts please"

Why? You've proven yourself quite immune to facts.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

"Posted by mommaeffortx2 (anonymous) on December 12, 2006 at 10:07 a.m. (Suggest removal)

she has been used by both sides and I do not think she has dealt with her sons death at least not compleatly."

I agree about being used by both sides, but I think it's also clear that she enjoys the attention. That, of course, may be part of not dealing with her son's death, but it's still kinda wrong. I also think her son would be very embarrassed by her activities since he died, were he still alive.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't think a she's particularly articulate speaker, or a great political thinker and pundit, but I've never seen any reason to doubt her sincerity.

And from what I've heard about her son, he would applaud her taking a stand against a war he also opposed. He went primarily out of his sense of duty to his unit.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Do you have a source to back up a claim on the motivations of the son, or his view about the war? That would change my opinion a little.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 7 months ago

Her son knew what his responsibilities would be if our troops were sent to war, yet he was still a soldier. Being a soldier was his job and he chose his job. His mother needs to support that it was HIS decision to be in the army,(last I checked we still don't have a draft), instead of blaming Bush for "killing" her son. Bush didn't shoot her kid. Further I bet he's spinning in his grave for her, making a mockery of his peers. She doesn't support our troops.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

That's certainly true, but there the spread between Sheehan's actions and merely questioning or protesting is somewhat large.

Besides, "supporting our troops" is a slippery, insinuative terminology, with no real meaning or value other than in political capital. Without standards, it is impossible to quantitatively define, and usage of it for argumentative purposes is thus irresponsible.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Bozo, I'd still like to see your support for your statement that the son was against the war.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 7 months ago

Any person who loses their child may at some point be accused of being a nut job. To call her attention wh--e lets me know that you probably have not known a person whose lost a child or lost a child of your own. My sister died when I was younger and believe me, attention wh--ing was the last things on my crazy parents' minds, despite the death being one that was in the public eye and one that also resulted in law suits, etc. and would have been the perfect case for an attention wh---e to use to their benefit. My dad actually IS an attention wh---e and even he did not use my sister's death as a means to that end. I honestly cannot believe how insensitive people can be in confusing genuine anger, disappointment and hurt with attention wh---ing.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 7 months ago

Not agreeing with this particular war and not supporting the troops are NOT the same thing. I support the friends and soldiers I know who are fighting, without agreeing to or supporting the idea. That is a lost line of logic on me.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

"I agree she has a right to speak out and to protest. She does not have a right to break the law. Trespass is illegal."

It was illegal also, at the time, for Rosa Parks to sit down on the bus, yet she did it, and nobody nows faults her for it. She was accused and convicted of a crime as well, and wasn't officially pardoned until after her death.

Please. It's not like they tried to storm the building or anything. They sat on the sidewalk and read a list of names. How threatening. Why, someone might have been killed.

I guess you're really saying that people should never exhibit instances of social disobedience, as Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King did, even if they believe in their cause.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 7 months ago

All politics aside, i hope she does not convince herself to become a martyr.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

The Boston Tea Party was civil disobedience again. Yes, it was against the law at the time. But if it hadn't happened, this grand country that you revere so much wouldn't have happened, either.