Archive for Saturday, December 9, 2006

Brownback: Judge should avoid gay marriage cases

December 9, 2006

— Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback, a potential presidential candidate, said Friday he would lift his hold on a federal judicial nominee if she agrees to step aside from any case dealing with same-sex unions.

Brownback, a Republican raising money for a possible White House bid, has stalled the confirmation of Michigan Court of Appeals Judge Janet Neff to the federal bench because she once attended a lesbian commitment ceremony.

Neff has said she attended the ceremony as a friend of one of the two women, a longtime neighbor. She insisted in an Oct. 12 letter to Brownback that the ceremony had no legal effect and would not affect her ability to act fairly as a federal judge.

Brownback, a prominent gay marriage opponent, says he is concerned the incident colors her legal view on the constitutionality of allowing same-sex marriages.

Neff has declined any public comment about her nomination.

Under Senate rules, a single senator can block a vote on a nomination by placing a hold on it.

Comments

average 8 years ago

"Judge X has been known, at least once, to go attend a church service of evangelical Christians."

"Thus, her legal views have been colored on: same sex marriage, public funds to churches, prayer in schools, creationism, abortion, etc. She must promise to step aside on any such cases?"

Get on it, Senator Sanders!!

ASBESTOS 8 years ago

Sam is an embarrassment to Republicans. Here we have the administration having problems with about 96 judges being blocked from an up or down vote, and here is Sam the butt head, stalling a Republican President's nomination,... to score points with the looney Right extremists.

His leadership on tough problems,... AVOID THEM, do not address them. Take no action.

Ragingbear 8 years ago

I wouldn't say that 60% of the population is anti-gay marriage. I would say that 60% of those that actually vote are. Because we all know that liberals tend to do things that get their legal rights to vote either taken away for a time, or their own ethos prevents them from voting.

Brownback is also a retard. I mean, Kline was intelligent at least. A conniving backstabbing zealot that liked to abuse his power and authority, but at least more intelligent. Brownback just embarrasses Kansas every time he opens his mouth, and it's time for him to be put out in pasture. Preferably one near wherever Dick Cheney is hunting.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years ago

"Sam is an embarrassment to Republicans."

I'd say that all Republicans have become embarrassments to each other.

kujayhawk 8 years ago

I'm a married man with a wife and two beautiful children, I'm also a Republican and I call myself a Christian. People like Brownback are seriously making me question my political and religious affiliations.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

ah nothing like a little blackmail to start your presidential run. Nice going.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

kujayhawk it is not you do not question your faith, but his.

Tychoman 8 years ago

You're right, Marion, the fact that 60% of U.S. voters (who may or may not have actually voted) oppose gay marriage IS a huge problem.

Ragingbear 8 years ago

Marion, I do have a problem with these reports. The first being that neither of them gave any sort of info on what type of people were being polled. I mean, they could have gone inside the Westboro Baptist Church for these answers.

Secondly, is CNN. It becomes more and more apparant every day that they are in bed with the government, and the GOP. They take any bad news for conservatives and tries to spin it positive, while downplaying any liberal or democratic sucesses.

Find me the stats on those polls, because they are out there. I want to read them before I agree, or disagree with their findings.