Archive for Monday, December 4, 2006

Brownback takes step toward White House bid

December 4, 2006

— Republican Sen. Sam Brownback, a favorite of the religious right, said Monday he is taking the first step toward launching a bid for the 2008 Republican presidential nomination.

A vigorous abortion opponent, the Kansas senator pledged to make "issues of life," fiscal restraint and tax reform key components of his effort to woo supporters.

"I have decided, after much prayerful consideration, to consider a bid for the Republican nomination for the presidency," Brownback said in a statement. "There is a real need in our country to rebuild the family and renew our culture and there is a need for genuine conservatism and real compassion in the national discussion."

Brownback said he has formed a presidential exploratory committee, which will allow him to travel the country and raise money while gauging support for the GOP nomination.

He also announced 20 members of his exploratory advisory committee, an eclectic mix ranging from anti-abortion activists to business executives, including: Domino's Pizza founder Tom Monaghan, former Major League Baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn, and the Rev. Frank Pavone, head of the advocacy group Priests for Life.

Brownback has openly weighed a presidential bid for nearly two years, but has struggled to build a national profile despite more than a dozen trips to Iowa and other states with early nomination contests.

Still, he could influence members of the GOP's powerful conservative Christian wing skeptical of better-known, more moderate Republicans like Senator John McCain of Arizona and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who also have established exploratory committees.

Nevertheless, Brownback's bid is considered a long shot in what is shaping up to be a nomination race led by better-known candidates.

The number of possible candidates with a claim to the GOP's social conservative wing has shrunk in recent weeks with the defeat of Sen. George Allen of Virginia in the midterm election and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's decision to forego a run for president.

Brownback said he plans to visit 10 states over the next month, starting in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on Tuesday.

Brownback's chief of staff, Rob Wasinger, will take over the exploratory committee and the senator will begin building his organization and staff immediately, spokesman Brian Hart said. Plans call for Brownback to open his main offices in the Kansas City, Kan., area.

Despite his strong appeal among Protestant evangelicals and his Methodist roots, Brownback converted to Roman Catholicism in 2002 with the support of Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., another prominent social conservative. He says his faith guides his opposition to abortion, gay marriage and embryonic stem cell research.

Brownback's faith also leads him to tackle social injustice around the world. He's spearheaded legislation to fight genocide in Sudan, cut down human slave trafficking and prison recidivism. Last week, he took an AIDS test with a potential White House rival on the Democratic side _ Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois _ to encourage others to be tested.

Brownback grew up on a farm near tiny Parker, Kan., where his parents still live. After receiving his law degree from the University of Kansas in 1982, he practiced law in Manhattan, Kan., and served as state agriculture secretary.

He was elected to the U.S. House in 1994 with the wave of Republicans who took control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 40 years. Two years later, he won a special election to succeed Bob Dole in the Senate after Dole left the seat to run for president.

Brownback, who promised to serve no more than two terms, has said he will not seek re-election in 2010.

Apart from McCain and Giuliani, other potential GOP contenders for the White House include Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska, Gov. George Pataki of New York, Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, Rep. Duncan Hunter of California and former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson.

Comments

ryanjasondesch 8 years, 7 months ago

Thank God, after he's defeated in the primary and then loses his Senate seat, he'll hopefully be out of Kansas and American politics forever. You don't have a chance, Sammy! Or maybe you just weren't paying attention a month ago, kinda like you haven't ever really payed attetntion to what America really wants.

rhd99 8 years, 7 months ago

A miserable $1.00. That is about ALL Brownback will get. Look at the prelim. poll in Iowa, a whopping 2.5% support him there. That'll get him to the general election in 2008, NOT!

SpeedRacer 8 years, 7 months ago

I am sure Brownback knows he doesn't have a chance. This is just a ploy to try to force the ultra-conservative agenda to the forefront of the election.

KsTwister 8 years, 7 months ago

He must get a tax write off, because that is all it is worth. Give it up Sam!

fabian_zimbabwe 8 years, 7 months ago

I needed a good, hearty laugh this morning. Thanks for providing it, Sam!

DaREEKKU 8 years, 7 months ago

I didn't know Satan had presidential intentions? Hmmm......

Ralph Reed 8 years, 7 months ago

Hmmm

At which point did Sen Dole resign from the Senate. Sen Brownback should do the same.

50YearResident 8 years, 7 months ago

ksmoderate 8 years, 7 months ago

Agnostick:

To be sure, Brownback means to "reclaim America for Christ," as D. James Kennedy means to do with his "ministry." I turned him on this morning to see what he was lying about today, and he had Bill O'Reilly on!!!! As another poster wrote in another thread (sorry, can't remember who): I threw up in my mouth a little bit.

publicdefender 8 years, 7 months ago

Thank Heavens he's running!! I had thought that the only Christ Republicans prayed to was the Hitler Christ! Sam has risen from the dead to save us....Onward Christian soldiers!!

rhd99 8 years, 7 months ago

In the words of the "Church Lady" on SNL, "Well isn't that SPECIAL"? On Brownback's announcement, well where did he get his tactics of cheating the American public from, SATAN?

Ken Miller 8 years, 7 months ago

Look, I would be the last person to support a Brownback Presidential bid. But all of you who chuckle and write him off are making a big mistake. Two years is a long time (ask Bush 1) in politics. With Frist out of the picture for good and Santorum losing his Senate seat, Sen. Brownback is willing and able to fill the conservative vacuum. He just may be facing off against Hillary in '08. Stranger things have happened, my pets....

rhd99 8 years, 7 months ago

oscar, the person making the big mistake of his life is Brownback. What I am about to say is no joke. As a Bible thumper, he refuses to remember THE one & major rule of government, that in this country there IS a principle of the separation between church & state. He continually violates that principle our founding fathers emphasized when they wrote the Constitution. For instance in the highly contentious issue of abortion, he forgets that sometimes the pregnancies of expectant mothers go drastically wrong, thereby jeopardizing their health. He supported that South Dakota law that gives no exceptions on the basis of medical emergencies. He supports protecting the fetus, but wants to kill stem cell research legislation that could give people like Michael J. Fox hope in curing their devastating neuro & muscular diseases. Pretty hypocritical for someone who supports life, like Brownback, don't you think?:(

davidnta 8 years, 7 months ago

Does anybody have a problem with him announcing his bid in Kansas City, MO instead of somewhere in KS?

EXks 8 years, 7 months ago

Just exactly what this country needs, another 'W' clone..... whose motto is "god is telling me to be prez"

News flash Sam, your prayers ain't gonna be answered.

rhd99 8 years, 7 months ago

By the way, isn't Brownback from Kansas, NOT Missouri? davidnta, I do have a problem with him announcing in KCMO because it cuts to core as to who he TRULY represents, & it certainly is not us in Kansas.

Jamesaust 8 years, 7 months ago

I suppose that Brownback has concluded that when push comes to shove, today's Republican Party -- a regional Southern, big government party (the Dixie-Cans?) - has no choice but to default to him after rejecting his competitors: 1. A big government liberal (Guiliani) 2. A small government conservative (McCain) 3. The Mormon governor of Lesbo-chusetts (Romney)

Strange though: "...after much prayerful consideration..." When I pray to the big guy for guidance on Sam's Choice, I get a pretty strong negative response. Perhaps my Aramaic is a bit rusty? Or maybe Sam isn't listening to his "only constituent"?

rhd99 8 years, 7 months ago

Well, 2.5% support in Iowa will not help Brownback's "much prayerful consideration", will it? He supported cutting Pell Grants, right or wrong, & also supported this Administration's efforts to stymie the much needed increases in Federal Student Financal Aid, did he or did he not? We have a political minefield in 2008 & his name is Sam Brownback. Kansas, you better consider the negative consequences of Senator Sam Brownback's actions in not only this Congress but in past Congressional sessions.

Ken Miller 8 years, 7 months ago

rhd, I wasn't commenting on how "good" a candidate he is or isn't - what I am saying is that no one should underestimate a conservsative christian two years from now - because (as history has shown) anything can happen in two years, politically speaking.

Staci Dark Simpson 8 years, 7 months ago

Please don't tell me you guys are gonna vote for Hillary! Puhleez!! I do think it will be hard not to vote for Guiliani. If we elect Hillary we might as well kiss our a$$es goodbye.

Roadkill_Rob 8 years, 7 months ago

"I have decided, after much prayerful consideration, to consider a bid for the Republican nomination for the presidency,' Brownback said"

Hmmm...I wonder if that is just my own conclusion. Nah, I wouldn't want to think for myself, let alone accept responsiblity for my own actions.

We're probably just talking to different Gods...I still haven't figured out which one is right, though.

rhd99 8 years, 7 months ago

Folks, let me leave you with this, & oscar, congratulations you are the guinea pig of the day, whether you know it or not. WOTS, Last night, I was personally attacked on this website by someone who claimed that I was just ranting & that my views on all day kindergarten didn't amount basically to a hill of beans because I don't know the politicians to be able to attack them. Those who don't agree with me, like oscar, deserve my respect, because they clarify the issues & do not put me down personally. Whether or not Brownback deserves the nomination in '08 will be determined later, I am sure. But if you look at the personal attacks of this last election cycle, you know those were BITTER. The person who leveled personal attacks against me yesterday provided me a great example of who we DO NOT attack in this great forum provided by LJW, You & me, the average citizens of this country & state. We attack the issues & the politicians who create these issues. Anyone who disagrees with me, I will be tough only on the substance of the issues, but will respect them always. I will not tolerate personal attacks against me. If you disagree with me I applaud you & that is one makes this country great. Please, let's keep the personal attacks towards one another at an absolute minimum & let's attack the policies of crooked politicians in Kansas & in DC. Thank you.

cutny 8 years, 7 months ago

How so SpaciStaci8? Your comments are rather vague and puzzling? And furthermore, where will your a_s go after you kiss it goodbye? Look a little harder at Giuliani and please tell me what makes him such an attractive presidential candidate? Seriously, he's a bully and a fascist, and but for the fact that he was the one in office when the planes hit, he wouldn't even merit the consideration. Truthfully though, he is slightly more electable than myself or the Brownie.

preebo 8 years, 7 months ago

Issues of life and fiscal restraint? This guy voted to pass Bush's torture bill and he also has voted time and time again to support the no-bid contracts given to companies like Haliburton in rebuiling Iraq. Sound like he is counting on not only being completely missed by a majority of the American people, who don't know who he is but also hoping they won't recognize his voting record either. When it comes to Big Business versus the little guy he will side with big business everytime. Real American values coming from a state where the median household income is around $60,000. Basically, if you liked the previous six years of political coporatism and the next two of the same then you will want to vote for this guy. He is Bush-lite. Just as opportunistic and just as ruthless.

prioress 8 years, 7 months ago

Will the desk plate say "President Brownnose" or "President Brownshirt." Gag.............

ASBESTOS 8 years, 7 months ago

"That's weird...after much prayerful consideration on my end, I came up w/ totally different results on this issue."

Me 2 roadkill Bob, Me 2!

BigAl 8 years, 7 months ago

"Republican Sen. Sam Brownback, a favorite of the religious right,"

Absolutely a truthful statement. Why not report it?

Crispian Paul 8 years, 7 months ago

Lewinsky was 22. I would much rather have my president or government official recieve fellatio from a consenting adult person than to follow blindly and without fail an agenda that is becoming all too clearly impossible.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little too. Brownback's views, often played over on C-Span, etc, make Kansan's look somewhat backwards and most definitely ignorant of the world outside the Plains.

Holy crap...God help us all.

BigAl 8 years, 7 months ago

Or how 'bout... "President George W. Bush, who mistakenly sent young Americans into Iraq for needless slaughter."

But then again, I forget... it is always the media unless of course it is Hollywood.

Plus, let's not forget, Bill Clinton was impeached by right-wing wackos that did NOTHING else for 8 years except go after him. What a terrible waste. The hate towards Bush is miniscule in comparison.

jonas 8 years, 7 months ago

"Posted by 50YearResident (anonymous) on December 4, 2006 at 12:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam, remember we warned you. You will be trashed. But it doesn't really make any differance as NO Repunlican is going to win in 2008 anyway."

I don't know. Give the dems two years to not get anything of value done, and we'll see what happens in 08.

jonas 8 years, 7 months ago

"Posted by right_thinker (anonymous) on December 4, 2006 at 3:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I wonder how many mainstream left-leaning media pieces will be written about Willy J. Clinton with the first sentence reading:

"President Bill Clinton, who was impeached and disbarred for recieving fellatio from a 21 year-old Whitehouse intern and lying under oath about it, is being considered for the next Secretary General of the United Nations......""

Errrr. . . . . wha?

ronwell_dobbs 8 years, 7 months ago

Let's suggest some equally longshot potential running mates for longshot Brownback:

Mark Foley Trent Lott Jesus Christ Phil Kline ....

Roadkill_Rob 8 years, 7 months ago

This statement is out of left field but I do like the idea of Clinton as Sec. Gen of the U.N.!!! Good idea, right_thinker!

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

We may overlook the drab treacle posted by the unfortunate Pilgrim; no doubt he was ignored as a child.

I for one look forward to Sam the Dunce running for president. It would be even more wonderful if he actually won the Republican nomination, for there is no more sure-fire guarantee that St. Hillary will triumph in '08 than to have his pathetic, mediocre, born-again pandering ass as an opponent.

With respect to John McCain, let's all fervently hope that Sam the Dunce runs, and wins the Republican nomination.

BigAl 8 years, 7 months ago

One scroll through this thread shows how the rightwing got their collective arses kicked in the last election.

I also might point out to you Pilgrim that Kansas has a Democrat for a Governor... and she won by A LOT. So much for your 95% comment.

BigAl 8 years, 7 months ago

This just shows me how far gone some of these right wing folks are. Just because Brownback is Republican, he will garner votes from these people. Has nothing to do with his capabilities or lack of, simply because he has an (R) by his name. Sad....but true.

BigAl 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm not a Gore fan... not even close, but I don't ever recall him being accused of kissing Hillary's ass... actually, quite the opposite. I don't think they have ever been on friendly terms. By the way, Gore DID get more total votes than Bush.

Tychoman 8 years, 7 months ago

Brown back takes a step toward the White House, stops at the gate, and then takes two steps back.

xenophonschild 8 years, 7 months ago

right_thinker:

While Al is not St. Hillary's biggest fan, he will support her candidacy and work hard for her election - he understands that the alternatives are much worse.

snowWI 8 years, 7 months ago

Posted by preebo (anonymous) on December 4, 2006 at 2:54 p.m. "Real American values coming from a state where the median household income is around $60,000" The census bureau lists the median household income for Kansas at around $43,000 as of 2003. I have no idea where you are getting the $60,000 figure from.

packrat 8 years, 7 months ago

I would have supported Brownback until he sold out last year on immigration.

Kodiac 8 years, 7 months ago

"Having Kathy as governor has nothing to do with what 95% of the state thinks of Lawrence." -- Pilgrim

Hey Pilgrim can you give me some hard numbers like surveys and polls and things of that nature or is this just something you made up based on your own intuition. Heck man, as long we are making stuff up here, I guess I could say that 99% of the United States think you are a whack job. How about them apples?

Crispian Paul 8 years, 7 months ago

Righty wrote: "......make Kansan's look somewhat backwards and most definitely ignorant of the world outside the Plains.

Holy crap...God help us all." ---Crispian

You do that ALL by your lonesome, Crispy. I am not from nor will I ever claim being from Kansas. This is a temporary situation for me thank the good lord above.

Amazing that someone who doubts the true power of any liberal person has just given me, "all by my lonesome", a lowly poorly paid social worker, the power to make Kansas look backwards and ignorant all by myself!...interesting. I did not say anything about being from Kansas. I said the Plains, which are notoriously conservative and "red". I doubt anyone who actually knows me would say I am "backwards" or ignorant of the world outside the Bible belt, expecially considering that from about 15 years old on, I have had an incredible amount of world and life experience.

Well, thanks Righty, jackhole, for giving me so much power. I, too, like you, hope the good lord hastens your departure from Kansas.

Crispian Paul 8 years, 7 months ago

Is it just me, or does Righty Tighty like to attack people personally rather than attacking some ideas? I think that is the ultimate mark of a fallacious thinker.

Kodiac 8 years, 7 months ago

Ah Crispian,

Don't ya know that RT is all about the love and spreading warm fuzzy feelings whereever he goes. Why he even ends his posts with love and one big happy family themes. I mean how can you not see that RT is a fellow warm loving peaceful rainbow people-hugging human being. I mean for crying out loud, he leads group hugs and everything.

Sometimes you just have to read between the lines crispian because you can love someone completely without complete understanding......

Crispian Paul 8 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Kodiac. I was just a little miffed at the liberal (no pun intended) use of a nickname only those I call friends get to call me. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Crispian Paul 8 years, 7 months ago

Ha ha ha. Thanks RT. You did not hurt me so, just miffed me a little. Thanks for the compliment, now, as a Republican, why don't you help do something so that we get well compensated for the work we do :) Thanks~!