Mangino gets contract extension

New deal announced today

August 31, 2006, 12:00 p.m. Updated August 31, 2006, 6:34 p.m.

Mark Mangino addresses the media during his first weekly news conference. He lauded freshman quarterback Kerry Meier on Tuesday in Hadl Auditorium.

Just two days before the desired goal, Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino signed a contract extension that keeps him locked up until 2010.

Mangino gets a significant raise - almost triple his earlier pay - while moving from the lowest-paid coach in the Big 12 Conference to roughly the fifth highest-paid. He will make a guaranteed $1.5 million per year, with incentives in place to boost it even higher.

Mangino and athletic director Lew Perkins were eager to wrap up negotiations before KU's season opener on Saturday. Talks initially began in the spring.

"I know now that he'll be here for nine years," Perkins said Thursday. "He's been here four and the new contract is a five-year deal. One of the things that is really important is stability and continuity."

Mangino's contract is retroactive to Jan. 1, 2006, which means he'll get a lump sum for all the extra money he didn't get in the last eight months. The deal expires Dec. 31, 2010.

In four years, Mangino has a 19-29 record, but has taken KU to two bowl games and made undeniable strides in building the program to a competitive level. His guaranteed money was just more than $600,000 under his old contract, which was to expire on Dec. 31, 2008.

Mangino's base salary will be $220,000, and another $1.28 million for "professional services rendered." Incentives, such as winning the national title or the Big 12 Conference championship, could add to his income. If he hits all of them, he could get as much as an extra $650,000 in a given year.

Both Mangino and Perkins admitted the process took longer than expected, but neither were dissatisfied with the final outcome.

"I wouldn't use the term difficult at all," Mangino said of the negotiations. "Both parties, we wanted to make sure it was right. They have an obligation to our fan base and our constituents to make sure every thing is right."

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

Kelly Powell 7 years, 7 months ago

yep, not disgust...just jealousy....i least i do not have the guilt that i helped semi-illiterates perform date rape, assault, and cheating my way through college.....but then again i'm sure he sleeps like a baby.

KS 7 years, 7 months ago

Roadkill_Rob - Great post. Congratulations Coach. It's the American way. If people don't like your compensation package, it is because they are jealous. Go Hawks! Here's to a great season.

ksmoderate 7 years, 7 months ago

C'mon....isn't anyone else just fricking depressed that a football coach (ffffffootball?) has a base salary of $220,000?

How much of that comes from the taxpayers, and how much from the Athletic Department?

BunE 7 years, 7 months ago

Whew, I was begining to think that KU might become an actual football school...

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 7 months ago

cmon, whats the problem with a little "academic fraud"?

Ken Miller 7 years, 7 months ago

I like Coach Mangino - but give him the extension NOW? KU's top dogs must know that the NCAA is going to give no more than a slap on the wrist to the Jayhawks, and NOT cripple the program. I tell you what, if the NCAA does come down hard on KU sports, the Chancellor, AD Lew and others should all resign.

TKELuke 7 years, 7 months ago

But will he make it to 2010? I'm placing a bet on a heart attack by then.

Souki 7 years, 7 months ago

It's obscene. And it's retroactive to the first of the year.

cutny 7 years, 7 months ago

Nice to see that mediocrity is so handsomely rewarded.

Ralph Gage 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope you "editors" are applying for admission to the Citizen Journalism Academy!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 7 months ago

Who says there's no good paying jobs in Lawrence?

hurlehey_boy 7 years, 7 months ago

Now he can afford a suit that fits.

TheDecider 7 years, 7 months ago

Lesson here: beat Nebraska for the first time in 35+ years and you get A MILLION DOLLAR RAISE!

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 7 months ago

msebold - Hey! Don't take me down with you. Since they changed the article around my old post doesn't make sense to a new reader.

So, how about this...

"Those services include occasional endorsements, media productions such as radio and television shows."

mseybold 7 years, 7 months ago

While you are at it.. correct my typo too please...

"correct an typo"

mseybold 7 years, 7 months ago

What's the deal LJWorld? Last time I tried to correct an typo in an article you made the change and blasted my post!!! I would expect the same treatment of The_Original_Bob!

prioress 7 years, 7 months ago

Good; he's doing well given the circumstances. ROCK CHALK!

Steve Jacob 7 years, 7 months ago

Why do this before the final NCAA investigation report comes out?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 7 months ago

Is the LJWorld completely incapable of editing these quick hit newsarticles? I know this online but that's just sloppy and unprofessional.

htan = than I suppose.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 7 months ago

Wow. Big raise. I'll agree that the 19-29 record is deceptive. He did have to spend the first couple years making KU a D-1 school again after Terry "Football?" Allen got canned. But, damn. That's a heck of a raise.

craigers 7 years, 7 months ago

Holy crap a $900,000 raise? I wish!!