Archive for Sunday, August 20, 2006

Immigrant attitudes

August 20, 2006

To the editor:

One of the issues that seems to be in the forefront of all campaigns this year is that of "illegal" immigration. What we have among candidates are progressives who have never met a regulation they did not like versus populists who have never met an immigrant they did not like.

As a conservative, I am wary of regulations, knowing that while some are necessary, many are merely protectionist and contrary to the health of a commercial society. Some, as well, are outside the delegation of powers in Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution of the United States and those amendments that specify powers. As a conservative, I also am quite aware that the immigration of my ancestors was not always by the book - the standards were lower in those days.

I also would point out that undocumented workers built the transcontinental railroad, ran the cattle to market and built the most powerful economic country in the world. This was mostly in the days before massive regulation. Anti-immigrant sentiment was predominant among adherents of the Know Nothings, the Nativists, the populists and the Ku Klux Klan.

Earl L. Haehl,

Lawrence

Comments

tell_it_like_it_is 8 years, 4 months ago

I think all the fuss over the mexicans is misguided. Most of them just want to come in and pick up some work. If you really want to worry about something worthwhile worry about all these people of middle-east decent coming in and buying up gas stations, motels and c-stores. Whats up with that? They worry me a lot more than some Mexican coming in wanting a $5.00 an hour job.

KsTwister 8 years, 4 months ago

"Anti-immigrant sentiment was predominant among adherents of the Know Nothings, the Nativists, the populists and the Ku Klux Klan." Not True.

The fact that Ford is closing 10 plants in the USA to open them in Mexico sheds more light on why Americans are being sold out. We are also tired of paying for their housing and healthcare and education with our shriveling American dollar. In short, they are choking our legal citizens for their own means.Even if they earn money here it is being sent back to Mexico to the extent of 17 Billion in the past year. Look it up.

justsomewench 8 years, 4 months ago

indeed, tell. how dare a middle-easterner open and successfully operate a small business in today's trying market for small business hopefuls. any employer allowing a non-american to do something worthwhile should be shamed.

at least the american male still has the corner on the meth lab market. that's just this side of bomb-making, too, if i'm following where you're goin'.

so there.

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

I think the fuss is that people are tired of paying in higher taxes to educate and provide health care for some of these people. But on the other hand I agree with you tellit..the other people you mention seem to be a more sinster to me.

laughingatallofu 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey,

I just heard that "DubYa" is once again promoting the "entrepreneurial spirit" of "Amer'cans". So, if what I'm reading and hearing is correct, "Amer'cans" can't compete against those "fer-in-ers" who put roofs on our houses, clean our public toilets, and otherwise pick up after us "'mericans" whose parents/grandparents were also immigrants (no doubt a bunch of them were illegal, too).

Go ahead and send 'em all back. See what a dump the US (get it, "US"?) becomes.

Jamesaust 8 years, 4 months ago

No sooner there's a mention of Know-Nothings and comments like this appear: "The fact that Ford is closing 10 plants in the USA to open them in Mexico...."

No, Ford is not moving plants to Mexico. Its pulling back in a $75/bar. oil world of its emphasis on gas-guzzles like the F-series pickup, the Explorer, and the Navigator, etc., because it can't compete with its current mix against automakers who make more fuel efficient autos (and make them better, I might add) - same story over decades now: management screws up, workers pay.

Immigrants do not "cost" us anything overall and in the long run. Well ... except for the dirtying and debilitating hatred by which some sully our surroundings.

As always, immigrants go where the jobs are ... and that obviously means very few for Kansas. How ironic that the nativists who declaim immigration most loudly inevitably live in places with the fewest immigrants.

KsTwister 8 years, 4 months ago

Biggest bunch of BS I have come across so far. Your research lacks.......tremendously. Farms cannot utilize the Neon to haul hay to cattle you know. When you find out they are using your social security number and your pay in is gone,then I laugh.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

Blah,blah blah....In the past 10 years i have seen a marked escalation of illegals in the food service industry here in lawrence....a town known for it's crappy wages to begin with..This is greed, nothing more, nothing less...and some of the businesses still tanked....

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

You know,I really never paid much attention to the help at McD's here but on a recent trip up north last week I was hit in the face with something I hadn't seen in many moons.White boys working at McD's! As I said,I never really noticed before now.

KsTwister 8 years, 4 months ago

Think again. Even in Lawrence the wages for construction workers have lessened due to the cheaper wages. A good roofer used to make about $17hr now they are hired for much less. I have heard this from many different crews on different companies in all aspects of building and construction. I'll believe better experts first. Kansas paid $43 mil last year to educate them. Now tell me again how it has no effect on the rest of us. We are the ones who pay for the "free" benefits they receive. The question is if America is so desireable,then why don't they come here legally...like the rest of our good citizens??????? Because Business owners will break our laws for their greed. Anchor babies are not helping the situation,these pregnant mothers to be have no intention of working while they wait for delivery. More taxes please.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

You need to see all hospitals in the souther border states that are just a few miles inside US territory. THey have had to build entire wings for the pregnant women coming across the line to have their "anchor babies. It is costing these communities MILLIONS!

Thanks for the quote SWBSOW, good job!

DOes this mean that Kansas Screens those that get meidcaid, or do they "just not check".

This is agood one for a "Legislative Post Audit" and other issues that the SRS is not doing very well!!!

Any legislators out there want to get a LPA going on this and get our money back in the hands of Kansas Residents?

"I know this applies to children only but illegal immigrants don't get medicaid or medicare. Children of illegal immigrants who are themselves U.S. citizens by birth get medicaid and only up to age 19."

I wouldn't bet on that SWBSOW! I will also bet that some "conservative is emailing this to some conservative KS legislator that is going to take action on this. I will just bet!

Ask the emergency room is Dodge City and Garden City about this! I would even throw in WIchita and Salina as well. The hospitals are loosing millions by providing care to these folks.

Speakout 8 years, 4 months ago

Yup, its them damn A-rabs buying up gas stations and 7/11's that making our economy trash. The illegals don't pay taxes, don't pay medical care, and on and on, but them A-rabs is whats the problem.

Lets take back all them 7/11's and gas stations so they will leave. Never mind that they pay taxes and are here legally. Let send them back to Saddam where they come from. We sure don't want them.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

"Why would the emergency rooms care about the benefits illegal immigrants may or may not be getting. All the hopsitals care about is who is going to pay."

Because the "illegals" Know this, and go to the emergency room for the flu, or other non-emergency health issues and "cannot be turned away".

THAT is where they are loosing millions.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

I guessed you missed the part that stated:

" nonwork SSN holder numbers are then showing up on the "working " side of the equation and receiving wages."

RED THE WHOLE THING, not just the part that agrees with you, geez. It is called "CONTEXT".

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

BTW, it is for DOD employees.

It shows a boatload of Non work SSN issued 5,912 were used on 19,000 w-2 submittals.

So do the math...that is fraud.

On secure installations.

WE GOTTA GET HOLD OF THIS!!!!!

tell_it_like_it_is 8 years, 4 months ago

Speakout..Actually I think it is your president and friends that have trashed the economy. But whatever. I still think you all are barking up the wrong tree myself. If you feel comfortable with them owning half the businesses in your town more power to ya.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

Geez SWBSOW, get it in CONTEXT, please!

The second link which you did not name is "Impact of NONIMMIGRANTS who Continue working after their immigration status expires".

"NONIMMIGRANT" means that the status has been revoked, declined, or it has lapsed. Either way, they are not citizens, are not "legal immigrants" and did not leave like they should have. Hence, the term "illegal" out of this bunch too.

You really need to read the TITLE and the REPORT in its ENTIRETY.

You ain't gonna get one past me out of context.

Why the hell do you think I posted them here?

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

You do not understand the reports. Please read them, and consult someone who is a lot less biased than you are.

This is CLEARY about a PORTION of the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, regardless of what you may want to believe.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

"Many of the terrorists that we have captured in the U.S. have been in group 2, not group 1."

Group "1" and group "2" are both "ILLEGALs", hence, should be deported or criminally held. That is the law. The reason they aren't, the Government likes to pass laws and not enforce them.

That simple.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

Gotta post this again for those that are emiling this to the anti's:

"5-2006 MEDICAID/HEALTHWAVE ELIGIBILITY FACT SHEET FOR CHILDREN UNDER AGE 19

I. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS

The child must be a Kansas resident. In addition, he or she must be a U.S. citizen or a qualifying alien.

II. AGE

The child must be under the age of 19.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

"Don't you remember an article in the LJW no too long ago about where Kansas was being told it had to repay some of its Medicaid funds?"

Don't you think that the feds will want their money back when they audit the Kansas program and find a bunch of illegal aliens charges that are not allowed??

HMMMMM!!!!??????

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

We have just officially rendered a "full circle of logic" from your Circular logic SWBSOW and your liberalist atitudes that thinks the USA must have it's doors open for everyone.

However, the large amount of the people (of which my links that you DID NOT CITE) in these United States are SICK OF THE ILLEGALS, end of story, even if you are not.

Go down to south Texas, or Arizona, New Mexico. Those states are starting to stop paying for those services (adding in Colorado I may add) so the illegals are moving on to greener pastures where the Civil Servants are lazy or corrupt, hence KANSAS.

That's right sportsfans, coming to YOUR TOWN, from Cali, Texas, or Arizona.

They know where it is cheaper and easier, and those will be finding their way to Manhattan, JC, then Topeka, and Lawrence.... and we are not talking in levels You have seen, but levels TEXAS, Arizona, NM, and Cali have seen, You have NO CLUE!

From the article:

""The prices of the houses are too high (in California)," Trejo said. "The prices are lower here. Here it's much calmer and not such a rush. They even drive slower here."

The Trejo family is among the nearly 10,000 Hispanics who have moved into the city since 2000, according to U.S. Census numbers released last week.

They were joined by 6,669 other foreign-born people who moved to Wichita.

The increase in diversity is reflected in the hallways of every public school in Wichita and has changed the way the district does business.

For example, the number of languages spoken by district students increased from 66 to 69, and could increase again this school year, district officials said. The district is having problems finding enough qualified teachers to keep up with the population growth. It is also constantly training teachers to work with students whose native language isn't English."

The african Americans had better watch out in Wichita:

"In the school district, the number of Hispanic students has increased rapidly over the past five years, from 7,428 in 2000 to 10,132 in 2005. The number of Hispanic students could surpass the number of black students this year."

"We have too few Hispanic teachers and few administrators," he said. "We need more. Kids like to see people who look like them and are them."

Isn't that racist?

Tychoman 8 years, 4 months ago

Illegal immigrants cost taxpayers billions of dollars per year, huh? The federal government costs us even more on bogus spending but I don't hear near as much whining on that as with illegal immigrants.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

GEE SWBSOW, you have the article right, but this is NOT what the founding fathers envisioned nor was it considered a proper way to gain citizenship.

AS I said, go to SOuth Texas and see all the Hospitals on the US side of the Border putting in Maternity wings, for all the Latin AMerican women that come here to have a baby. Now just getting pregnant and crossing a border does NOT give on the right to be a citizen. NO way can you prove otherwise, I OTOH, was born to parents who were born to parents who were born to parents who were all American Citizens. Some of my Kin fought in the Rev. War, 1812 war, Civil War, and WWI.

THAT is what gave MY FAMILY the right.

From Alexander Hamilton:

"Alexander Hamilton insisted that "the safety of a republic depends essentially on the energy of a common national sentiment; on a uniformity of principles and habits; on the exemption of citizens from foreign bias and prejudice; and on the love of country which will almost invariably be found to be closely connected with birth, education, and family." The ultimate success of the American republic, he maintained, depends upon "the preservation of a national spirit and a national character," among native born and immigrant alike.

Hamilton opposed granting citizenship immediately put to new immigrants: "To admit foreigners indiscriminately to the rights of citizens, the moment they foot in our country would be nothing less than to admit the Grecian horse into the citadel of our liberty and sovereignty." Instead, he recommended that we gradually draw newcomers into American life, "to enable aliens to get rid of foreign and acquire American attachments; to learn the principles and imbibe the spirit of our government; and to admit of a philosophy, at least, of their feeling a real interest in our affairs.""

Teddy Roosevelt:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one soul [sic] loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

Tychoman..I agree. I would rather see my tax dollar go to some kid who doesn't have enough to eat or proper health care then to go to the space program, bridges to no where or research on cow farts or to pay for some politician to travel half way around the world. I think it just happens that the illegals are easy scapegoats for the moment.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

"They were joined by 6,669 other foreign-born people who moved to Wichita."

This is code for "undocumented" (or Illegal Alien). What did you think that ment?

ANd no do not paint me with that " you think all hispanics are illegal" Bull.

The Hispanic Americans are those that assimilate and are LEGAL contributing to our society. Those that love Mexico before American or their culture before American culture, need to go back, ie they are not contributing.

Tychoman 8 years, 4 months ago

True, granny. I wonder who it will be 10 years from now.

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

Tychoman..I don't know but I'm sure it will be someone. Are the people complaining really dumb enough to think if they sent all the illegals home tomorrow their tax bill will go down? Do they think they are going to get a big old fat refund or what? I mean come on! The government would just spend it on something else anyway.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

"Asbestos, when did Teddy Roosevelt become a Founding Father?"

That is a know nothing post and beneath you SWBSOW

whiteoleander 8 years, 4 months ago

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

FTP let me know when your case comes up for review

OK....you forgot to take out the trash!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

WO....according to your mom, you can do no wrong, is she aware of the way you are speaking to your elders?

janeb 8 years, 4 months ago

Immigrants work much harder and for less than those who were born and raised here. I hire them to do jobs most Citizens would not do.

loislanelovesclark 8 years, 4 months ago

It seems that there are many issues connected with you Ms Sow. I think I would prefere you not respond to my posts and I will stay away from yours.

loislanelovesclark 8 years, 4 months ago

Not sure where you think I said anything about you being another poster. I made the correct choice.

hottruckinmama 8 years, 4 months ago

h#lls b#lls! let the immigrants read this forum and they won't WANT to come to this country. they'll think we're all whacked in the head. lol. i agree with granny. i'd rather see my tax dollars go to some little kid that needs it then to a lot of other stuff we are forced to pay for.

xenophonschild 8 years, 4 months ago

Let's cut to the chase: When is the Cowboy Idiot going to secure our southern border?

Why is it I'm convinced that, if the federal government was truly, genuinely serious, it could stop illegal immigration in its tracks?

KsTwister 8 years, 4 months ago

swbsow:"I'm afraid, Asbestos, you have me confused with Jayhawks71..."

?????????????? Show me where he commented. Your end of the debate lost-----heavily. Now, do the backstroke.

KsTwister 8 years, 4 months ago

Your first post is good enough. "2. People make a lot of comments about illegal immigrants receiving benefits & I haven't seen anything to support this."

Believe me, it is the hidden things that will be the detriment to American children for years to come. The facts are out there, thank goodness for those that dig up the truth.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by janeb (anonymous) on August 20, 2006 at 6:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Jan... I'm sick to death of hearing this ....it's a crock and I am totally offended. You don't know me (a citizen, born and raised) I work VERY Hard and have since I was 13. I often have up to 3 jobs at a time -- I will do things that others won't at wages others sneer at.

Just because you are too cheap to pay a decent wage and perfer to take advantage of people don't blame hard working Americans.

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

as_i _live_and_breath...next time its 105 then get up on top of a roof and shingle or go out and work on a highway crew. Then you can talk about hard work. *** OK Old woman..... lets talk --- I was a water meter reader for 17 years... In case you don't understand what that means.....I walked 10-20 miles a day in ALL KINDs of Kansas weather. From 110 degrees to -15 -- Rain - Wind -Dogs -and all manner of bizzare street people. I carried a metal hammer, a record book (later a computer) and a flashlight, alone, in neighborhoods many people wouldn't DRIVE through. this was before the fancy touch read system and scooters they have now. I would more often than not, have to dig the meters out before I could pull of the heavy metal lid and sometime crawl into the hole to read the meater.

I was pregnant twice in that time and worked THAT job untill my water broke both times.

For a 8 of those years, I helped a friend open his restaurant at 5:30 am (i didn't have to read meters till 8.) then I would work either a retail job or another cocktail wait job after. I also started my own business during that time.

don't judge me by your own lazy standards. I will put my work ethic up against anyone, legal or illegal.

Any other judgments you'd like to pass??

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

Better mention the snakes.... Meter boxes are loaded with snakes.....

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds to me like you had a pretty worthless old man if he let you do that when you were pregnant. Either that or you didn't have much sense. Or both.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

Give 'em HELL As _I_LIVE,you tell 'em!

"Snakes in the meter boxes"

sounds like a movie!

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

lol again with the judgements... So I'm either a lazy American who won't work or I'm a idoit with a scumbag babydaddy..... What century do you live in????

I have a wonderfull man. He didn't LET me do it.... that idea makes me laugh. I don't need a man to give me permission. I need a man who respects me and gives me credit for having the intellegence to do the right thing.

I like to work!! I like the excitement and stimulation of doing a lot of different things and meeting a different people. Reading meters was probably the best job i ever had. My doctor said walking was good for me and it was.... my both births were very easy.

My wonderful man also worked full time, did side jobs and helped raise our babies so I could do what I wanted to do.... He still does.

I'm sorry..... I seriously doubt that you can say anything to change my mind about the statement that illegal immigrants deserve special treatment because * "Immigrants work much harder and for less than those who were born and raised here."

it is a flat lie... and I and my family are proof.

I'm not saying there are not lazy americans.. perhaps you are one and can only judge others by your own experience, but I for one get deeply offended by that statmement......

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

I fail to see how you could have had 3 jobs and raised your children well. Sounds more like you lived well beyond your means and had no other choice. I don't remember saying anything about lazy americans-but then perhaps you have read something more into my statement so that you can get "deeply offended" as you seem to be the self-rightous type who enjoys becoming "deeply offended" often.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

Oldgranny, LAYOFF of her.

Your arguments are mean and judgemental and are personal attacks. They have NOTHING to do with the issue. YOU are the "self-rightous" one here.

I think you need to shut up!

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

I think YOU need to shut up Asbestos. If she dishes it out she can surely take it.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by oldgranny (anonymous) on August 21, 2006 at 8:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't remember saying anything about lazy americans

*** Sorry Granny, old timers kicking in??? let me refresh......+++ Posted by oldgranny (anonymous) on August 21, 2006 at 2:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes, to me that implies that I don't understand hard work.... I do. and that I as an american, am lazy. I'm not. You said I could talk about hard work, I did and you felt complelled to belittle me and my poor innocent husband who has never even seen this blog. What TYPE does that make you????

You continue.....

talk about self righeous!!! Jeese o'pete lady you are a walking judge, jury and executioner..... Now you are denigrating my parenting skills and my financial accumen.

just so you don't turn me into SRS like an old nosey buzybody....I didn't neccessarily have all 3 jobs and the kids at the same time..... I rotated.... and had family that helped. my kids are totally awesome and!!! both have a good work ethic as well!

As I said, I am a hard working person. I don't get free anything...so.....when janeb and people like that imply that it is American workers fault that millions of people come here to steal from us..... Yeah.... I'm offended.

You don't offend me.... you make me laugh..... I bet you can see thru a keyhole with both eyes.

oldgranny 8 years, 4 months ago

Sorry I happen to be skeptical of folks who brag about how hard they work or have worked. Its been my experience the louder they holler the lazier they are for the most part. Believe me I've worked with a few of those kind in my time. Frankly I couldn't care less if I offend you or not.

janeb 8 years, 4 months ago

I fail to see how you could have had 3 jobs and raised your children well. S

Well granny I went to college worked 3 part time jobs and worked the museum at JCCC for a credit course in humanities and raised three kids. In addition I was on the PTO at my kids elem. school. I did not liv beyond my means it was required to survive.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

You are a cantankerous ol rag ain'tcha granny? Sorry you got caught in that cross fire Asbestos... thanks

She's just mad cuz I'm here legally taking up all those jobs that illegal aliens should get to have....

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

lol Janeb... this is CRAZY.... your post is what started all this and now we are on the same side.... are you me????

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

skeptical????? you need a thesaurus ma'am. I would call what you are prejudiced.

janeb 8 years, 4 months ago

I didn't start anything but I do hire those who are willing to workjust as I have been. It is rough to survive in the world and I believe everyone has that right not based on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character(MLK) No I am not in any protected race.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry, I didn' t mean you started anything, just that it was her response to my response to your response... and then... we ended up... defending ourselves against the same thing....lol the world is weird.

prioress 8 years, 4 months ago

"We never heard about Americans being unwilling to do construction work until after the fact they were replaced with cheap labor. It's a lie, and a lame defense for breaking employment laws. The big lie enables employers to continue to cut their overhead and increase their profits- illegally, and at the expense of American workers." +++++ Some truth to that. Look up the contributor lists to the Republican National Committee and individual candidates. Some of the folks screaming loudest about this issue are the ones hiring the illegals.......while they try to stall legislation that would hurt the very companies they represent.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

For those who don't say this illegal immigration thing does not cost us anything, here is something from the Congressional Budget office:

ASBESTOS 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't like citing "wingnut daily" but they are correct on this, the race war has started....by illegal immigration.

xenophonschild 8 years, 3 months ago

Please, somebody, anybody: close our southern border.

And while you're at it, keep out all those damn whiney-voiced Canadian pop-singers.

ASBESTOS 8 years, 3 months ago

If they look like ABBA let them in though!