Archive for Saturday, August 19, 2006

Two injured in rollover

August 19, 2006

Two people suffered injuries Friday afternoon in an accident that tipped a car in the Oread Neighborhood.

At 2:38 p.m., a 22-year-old Wichita woman was driving a Toyota Land Cruiser west on 13th Street and failed to stop at a stop sign on Tennessee Street, said Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman. The vehicle, above, was then struck by a northbound maroon Toyota Corolla, Murphree said.

Medics with Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical transported the 22-year-old Wichita woman to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. A relative took the 81-year-old to LMH.

Murphree said neither of the drivers was critically injured and that names were unavailable.

10th and Tennessee

Comments

Susan Mangan 8 years, 4 months ago

Great point, spym00se!

I wonder if the LJW just made a mistake or whether the Corolla driver was going the wrong way down a one-way street. Any witnesses out there???

Interesting that there is no mention of citations.

oldgoof 8 years, 4 months ago

...I love the land where a Toyota Corolla driven by an 81-year old can enter the field of vehicle combat against a KU student and come out the winner.

I do hope everyone is OK here.

Happlie 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeahh, KU is back in full swing. So many new students in town who don't know our streets. Should have then study our streets before they get on the roads. Wishful thinking on my part.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 4 months ago

"So many new students in town who don't know our streets."

But doesn't a grad student know what a stop sign is?

Nikki May 8 years, 4 months ago

It does look in the picture that the red car is facing the wrong way, but maybe it spun.

classclown 8 years, 4 months ago

"But doesn't a grad student know what a stop sign is?"

========================================

These are college students you're talking about. Not smart people.

classclown 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by punkrockmom (anonymous) on August 19, 2006 at 7:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

========================================

As stated in the story... "An 81-year-old Lawrence woman drove the Corolla. The Land Cruiser spun until it landed on its side, Murphree said."

I'll share something I once read on one of these blogs. I don't know who to give credit to for the saying, but it should be made part of the terms of service for using these blogs.

"Read twice, post once."

classclown 8 years, 4 months ago

Oops. Sorry punkrock mom. I got my vehicles mixed up. In my case the rule should be TWO cups of coffee before attempting to post.

"Coffee twice, post once".

Again, sorry punkrockmom.

Jamesaust 8 years, 4 months ago

It would seem that experience can triumph over youth.

Nikki May 8 years, 4 months ago

Not a big deal. I did read it a couple times. ;) I was really replying more to the post that said something about northbound on Tennesee. In the photo, it shows a truck parked facing one way, and the car is the opposite direction. Then the story is saying northboud.

rousseau108 8 years, 4 months ago

VoiceOfReason, usually on injury accidents, especially when both drivers go to the hospital, the police wait to issue citations in case someone takes a turn for the worse, or even dies. given that one of the drivers was an 81 year old, that could be likely.

bethnbob 8 years, 4 months ago

Again someone not paying attention and probably talking on a cell phone.

ruby2 8 years, 4 months ago

probably an idiot sorority girl. ku indeed is in full swing again.

fletch 8 years, 4 months ago

Orienting where that house is, it seems like the 81-year old was going to wrong way down Tennessee.

Confrontation 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like Ruby2 is still sad she got cut from sorority rush. By the way, the sorority girls have a higher GPA average than the general KU population. Maybe it was some idiot who uses a gem as her user name.

classclown 8 years, 4 months ago

swbsow your drawing is backward. If this

l l l l v is north, then west would be this way

------->.

The way you drew it, either the old person is going north and the studen east, or the old person is going south and the student west.

Your map should look thus

...  N
             W .. E
                ...  S

<--------------- Student
                ^
                 l
                 l
                 l
                 l
          Old person

How does that affect your deductions about the accident? Not being a smart@$$ here, just wondering if that changes your perspective any.

Susan Mangan 8 years, 4 months ago

rousseau108 - I appreciate your comment about the lack of citations. I do disagree, however, about the likelihood of the 81 year old "taking a turn for the worse...or dying". I would hope, if she had ANY indication, at all, of injury (serious or not, considering her age) that she would be transported to LMH by ambulance or police. A relative driving her there indicates that either a) her car was in good enough shape to be driven by a relative, or b) they waited around for a relative to get to the scene to drive a (probably scared and upset...understandably) elderly woman with no outward signs of injury to the hospital. It is entirely appropriate to take her to the hospital to get "checked out", but a possible injury would result in emergency transport...and someone with a potentially serious injury, that could result in confusion, does not have the option to refuse transport. You have to be of sound mind to make a decision like that.

My guess...and it's just that...is that she was fine, but shaken up. I don't think the police saw any need for emergency transport, but a relative decided to take her, anyway...probably a smart move. But being 81 certainly doesn't mean an otherwise uninjured person could potentially (or likely) drop dead.

From what I've witnessed over the last 17 years, the LPD has a general aversion to citations for serious accidents. Beats me why, but I've noticed it. A couple of years ago a woman pulled out in front of a motorcyclist and killed him. Her defense was that she didn't see him. Not even a ticket. A friend of mine was struck by a car, while on a motorcycle, last year. The car's driver didn't see him (a common problem among car drivers, apparently) and pulled out in front of him. That's called inattentive driving. The driver sat in his car, waiting for the police, as my friend lay in the street, looking dead. In the meantime, my friend was run over by an SUV that didn't see him laying there and that driver left the scene. Thank God he recovered...after months of rehab. But no one was issued a citation for anything. Oops! Just an accident!

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey,howcome we didn't get a report on everybody involved gender and sex organs?Were they all in place and properly in order? I am refering to the story of Jeannie newmoon of course.Why didn't THIS story have the women's organs featured in this report?

carolannfugate 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe swbsow has the answer she seems to know everything else.

antimarion 8 years, 4 months ago

Someone should ask Marion. There are plenty of know it alls around here. Too bad they are all clueless.