Archive for Friday, August 18, 2006

Anti-abortion groups take aim at FDA choice

August 18, 2006

— Anti-abortion groups are urging President Bush to withdraw his nominee to head the Food and Drug Administration, angry that the agency may allow nonprescription sales of the morning-after pill.

Dr. Andrew von Eschenbach already is facing a roadblock from the other side of that issue. Democrats are upset that the FDA has long delayed settling the three-year debate on whether at least some women could buy the emergency contraceptive without a doctor's note.

Amid the political accusations, the FDA is contacting both the anti-abortion groups and their main opponent, Planned Parenthood, to hear their last-minute arguments on the fate of the drug, called Plan B.

Two Democrats had placed a hold on von Eschenbach's confirmation vote in the Senate pending FDA's final decision on Plan B.

Bush "continues to strongly support Dr. von Eschenbach's nomination," White House spokesman Tony Snow said in a statement.

Comments

canyon_wren 8 years, 8 months ago

Although I am opposed to abortion, except in a very few specific instances, I think the anti-abortion folks are making a big mistake here. It seems to me the "morning-after" pill will result in fewer fetuses being destroyed. They (the anti-abortionists) are NOT going to prevent people from having sex; preventing pregnancies HAS to be a better solution than abortion.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 8 months ago

but in their view point an angel has allready brought a soul into the woman...you are a devil worshiping pagan who has sacrificed your baby to satan if you take the pill. I'm not kidding, this is the mindset.

drewdun 8 years, 8 months ago

What is wrong with these people? WORRY ABOUT YOUR OWN LIFE - MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS, ZEALOTS

prioress 8 years, 8 months ago

Abortions should be legal, safe and rare. As in all things, education matters.

severa 8 years, 8 months ago

I will never understand why a political party in a democratic republic should take such interest in the private lives of others who, in this wonderful melting pot of religions and cultures, may hold a different view on sex and procreation. Abortions are, understandably, a touchy and difficult moral issue for many people, but contraceptive methods should not-especially in our age of celebrated diversity and cultural acceptance-be a heated issue in politics. I don't believe that one group of people have the right to determine what a multitude of others can do with their bodies, whether or not they "ought" to have sex, or risk pregnancy with every instance of intercourse. Birth control has been established in this nation for a while, and though it was controversial at first, has remained as an option for those who do not wish to have children (or cannot support children, wish to further their education/careers, or simply want only one or two children) and do not want to remain celibate. Although I do not fear that this option will dissapear, it will continue to irk me that there are people who would wish to make such options difficult to obtain or inaccessable altogether.

Elana 8 years, 8 months ago

I'm am against the ACT (not illegalization) of abortion. Even more now than ever since I found out I am pregnant a few months ago. But there were many times in years I'm not so proud of that I've needed plan B. I have no clue what would have happened if I did not have that option available at times! The fact is that natural miscarraiges happen all the time, before we even know we're pregnant. And plan B does NOT abort (I read and re-read the pamphlet to make sure before I decided it's ok to take), All it does is PREVENT a pregnancy, but if the process has begun, it doesnt do anything! To try to take this pill off market is an uneducated decision. And it just means more women that dont want to be pregnant GETTING PREGNANT, then going to get an abortion...so what the hell do they think they are accomplishing? I swear sometimes people get so caught up in the cause, they forget to think.

Tychoman 8 years, 8 months ago

Next the antiabortion zealots will try to outlaw sex altogether. They must have heard about this terrible STD you get from unprotected sex called BABIES.

Elana 8 years, 7 months ago

I understand then where they are coming from, but would they rather a girl need a 'full-blown' abortion? What they need to understand is that what plan B does, happens naturally ALL THE TIME. I found this on what is called Chemical Pregnancies. "Just how common a chemical pregnancy is is difficult to say. Because they occur so early on, causing most women to not even be aware that they are pregnant, and don't produce the same miscarriage symptoms as one would normally experience, a great number of chemical pregnancies go undetected. However, it is estimated that as much as 50% of all pregnancies end in miscarria ge before a woman is aware that she was pregnant." But I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I wish there was someone here to defend the people in this article, not just a bunch of us venting on how stupid we think they are..lol