Archive for Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Train-accident victim identified

August 15, 2006

Police on Monday identified the person struck and killed by a Union Pacific train on Saturday as Lawrence resident Jeannie Marie Newmoon, age 53.

Police declined to release additional details, pending autopsy results.

Officers were alerted about 1:15 p.m. Saturday and found Newmoon's body to the west of the overpass above North Second Street in North Lawrence. A railroad spokesman said at the time that Newmoon apparently tried to remove something from the tracks and was struck by the 129-car train headed from North Platte, Neb., to Kansas.

The train was not disabled as previously reported, a Union Pacific spokesman said, but was delayed while police and UP officials investigated.

Loring Henderson, director of Lawrence Community Shelter, said Newmoon had experienced health problems recently.

"She was a tough, hearty individual," he said. "She was on the streets and all that goes with that. She had a lot of friends, a lot of people who were very concerned and cared about her."

Comments

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 8 months ago

I vaguely remember the hatchet thing. I did not realize that was her. Why did they say it was a guy in the earlier story or did I read it wrong.

blue73harley 7 years, 8 months ago

It is the same person. I worked with her in the late-80s. She was fired for "anger management" issues. But on her good days, she was fun to be around. RIP.

monkeywrench1969 7 years, 8 months ago

I remember the homeless motorcycle person you are talking about. I was never sure if it was a guy or a gal. Either way I could see how she would whoop your butt if it is the same person Harley is referring to.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

she's been around long time, used to have the orange and white conversion van ( left by her mom when she passed) sold that and left a few years back for a bit then returned.

rpm 7 years, 8 months ago

Was this the same street gal (?) that's been around here for years, tall American-Indian(?), once had something like a Honda 350 street bike?

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 8 months ago

It's the end of an era for sure, anyone who knew her has great stories to tell, there are probably millions of stories in the naked city, for sure something always happened and the was never a dull moment. Hey Rose if your out there call me I know you're taking this hard.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 8 months ago

Jeannie could have been Joey Ramone's stunt double! spittin' image.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 8 months ago

I knew her for years....She(?) was a not a great person.....rest in peace.