Archive for Sunday, August 13, 2006

Train kills person leaning on tracks

53-year-old Lawrence resident was trying to remove an object from engine’s path

August 13, 2006

A 53-year-old Lawrence resident died after being run over by a train Saturday afternoon in North Lawrence.

The person, whose name and gender were not released, was apparently trying to remove something from the tracks when the train approached, said James Barnes, a Union Pacific Railroad spokesman.

Lawrence Police released a short statement about the accident Saturday but would not identify the person until family members were notified, Sgt. Paul Fellers said.

Officers were called about 1:15 p.m. Saturday to the tracks near Lincoln and North Second streets to investigate. They found the victim to the west of the overpass above North Second Street, Fellers said. The 53-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

"It looks like it was a tragic accident," Barnes said. "Our hearts go out to the family."

Along with local law enforcement, special investigators from Union Pacific and other company officials responded to the accident to help Lawrence Police and offer the conductor peer counseling, Barnes said.

The train was not derailed but was held for a couple of hours before being released.

Union Pacific was alerted to the accident after company dispatchers contacted the critical inquiries office, which handles all incident reports.

Barnes emphasized that people should stay away from railroad tracks, even if an item is on the tracks or their car breaks down there.

"Just get out of the way," he said.

Comments

ranger73 8 years, 4 months ago

"Barnes said the accident disabled the 129-car train headed from North Platte, Neb., to Kansas. The conductor was unable to stop the train, he said."

Pilgrim-sounds like that is what Barnes told our illustrious writer, which may be the reason for his error. Which in the whole context of the story-WHO CARES? SOMEONE DIED.

aeroscout17 8 years, 4 months ago

Hate to break it to you all but...

Yes, freight trains do have conductors; they ride in the engine with the engineer.

And, yes, conductors can stop the train but they better have agood reason to do so.

If you don't believe me, ask anyone who works on the railroad.

dthroat 8 years, 4 months ago

aeroscout is right- a conductor in the world of railroad people is not the same as what you see in the movies. There are conductors on most every train. Different responsibilities than the engineer, but they are there.

And by the way Pilgrim- ALL of the other news agencies used the same term in covering the story.

Michael Birch 8 years, 4 months ago

Folks,

I'm trying to understand how something like can

happen! The train slows down to 5 mph and sounds a

horn that can be heard 10 miles away as it ever slowly

chugs its way through town and yet some fool still

manages to get himself ran over by the train. Just what

was he trying to recover from the train tracks that was

so important anyway? Reminds me of that old

Aerosmith song "Train Kept a Rolling."

DHD

a2thek 8 years, 4 months ago

who cares.....alot of cattle and deer get killed either year also. Do you think the conductor stopped for these poor little animals. NOOOO!!! GO ask the animal rights people what the conductor should have really done. the point of the matter is simple, if it looks like an animal go ahead and hit it. We may be human but inside we all are still animals. That's a quote from STeve Vai.

a2thek 8 years, 4 months ago

I love how the police wont release the identity yet. Are we sure we are dealing with a real person here.

a2thek 8 years, 4 months ago

how do they know that he was 53 yrs old, did they ask him.

classclown 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by a2thek (anonymous) on August 13, 2006 at 4:36 p.m. (Suggest removal)

=========================================

Maybe it was Boog?

Steve Jacob 8 years, 4 months ago

I hope he was not with his family. You know, a kid threw something by the tracks, and he went to get it. I do not know exactly where this happened. Very sad.

kg52 8 years, 4 months ago

Does this forum give the right to be cruel? I enjoy people's opinions as Lawrence is my home town - opinions are one thing, pure cruelty is another.
Isn't the point that a terrible thing happened and is it really necessary to characterize the person until the facts are known. God help your families if you are ever in a terrible accident (or incident) and someone does this to them. What is wrong with a little kindness and compassion? In case someone who cares about this person reads this I am sincerely sorry for your loss and I apologize for the thoughlessness of some. May you find comfort in the fact that there are those of us who care for the sake of kindness.

prioress 8 years, 4 months ago

"Does this forum give the right to be cruel? " Short answer, 'yes.' It interests me that most comments have little to do with the story and a great deal to do with cowards sitting in front of keyboards, many of whom have little to say of substance, except, as you say, to heap opprobrium on the poor unfortunates who star in many of the news stories.

gphawk89 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by Madame_LEspanaye: "Cowardly Republicans hiding behind their flag of fear. As long as we allow the Bushies to hide behind the "war president" mantle, we will continue to lose the battle."

You are off topic, please move on to another thread.

ModSquadGal 8 years, 4 months ago

No, Madame E., "off topic" is posting about Pres. Bush in a discussion about someone getting hit by a train.

Anyway, I feel sorry for this person and their family. I hope it wasn't suicide. Very sad indeed.

a2thek 8 years, 4 months ago

I dont want to get involved with you guys chat on who is fearless or not or a leader of the fearless world but I just wanted to get in again one more thing that is coming to me from a far...does anyone hear a train coming....chute...chute

a2thek 8 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone know if this person is having a funeral or they just going to scratch this one off the list and call it a day or fearless leader. I am not trying to be cruel but I think the right thing to do would be toss her ashes in the good ole Kansas River. I think that would really be touching and leave me scratching my head.