Archive for Sunday, August 13, 2006

Pit bull amnesty convinces some owners to abide by ban

August 13, 2006

— Animal control officials said 149 illegal pit bulls have been turned in or confiscated in the two weeks since the city increased its enforcement of a ban on the breed.

Mayor Joe Reardon announced July 28 that the city would temporarily waive penalties against people who turned over their pit bulls, which are illegal within city limits. The day before, a pit bull attacked 71-year-old Jimmie Mae McConnell, who later died.

The amnesty period ends today. More than two-thirds of the dogs were turned over in the first week, and animal control officials said the pace has slowed to what it was before the amnesty period.

"It's tapered off to the point where it's more manageable without all the extra resources," said Capt. Henry Horn, commander of the police department's animal control unit.

Horn said Friday that the amnesty program had successfully persuaded as many pit bull owners as possible to turn over their dogs to authorities, rather than dumping them in parks or other public places.

He also said he believes his unit has the resources to continue enforcing the city's ban.

While those who voluntarily turned in their dogs didn't get cited for violating the ban, owners who were identified through a telephone hot line were cited if officials could determine they owned a pit bull.

Some of the dogs have been sent to shelters for adoption, but many have been euthanized. That has attracted the anger of animal welfare groups and organizations that advocate on behalf of pit bulls, who criticize the city for not simply going after irresponsible owners.

The Mayor's Animal Control Task Force has also criticized the city for ignoring recommendations it made 18 months ago to improve the animal control division, questioning how the city could afford to enforce the law now.

Comments

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

It is unthinkable that these 'officials' actually expect people to 'turn in' their pets to be put to death.

What is even more shocking to me is that people are actually complying, what a gutless lot they are.

This is an act of tyranny by the City and should be met in kind.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

Without (ever) going into any kind of detail, these people should be "dealt with."

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

I wish you the best of luck. Taking a person's dog is evil in action.

I would hope that somewhere along the way, and BEFORE enacting such totalitarian laws, they've consulted Animal Control people, vets, or other experts in animal behavior and learnt that there are no intrinsically 'bad' dogs.

They could read journals, talk to 50 veterinarians or whatever it takes to get a clear, objective picture of what they're really doing. Clearly they do not or they just don't care.

Luna looks quite harmless, I hope you get her back.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

E, I didn't find a reference to it on the City site but I did write the date in my planner and will follow up. B

Two comments:

1) I see enforcer is still jumping on Marion's band wagon as usual. No surprise.

2) I support this ban, although I think it will lead to even more inbreeding of the breed. I don't know how anyone can argue that they attack more than other dogs. Not going to get into it. Just my opinion. I don't like the idea of killing dogs, but like the idea of fewer pit bulls on the street. And you drama queens don't need to worry that they will eventually move on to even your little chihuahua. It won't fall out that way. Get real.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

There's no drama, just what happens and what doesn't happen.

** 1. "I don't know how anyone can argue that they attack more than other dogs."

1. "I don't like the idea of killing dogs, but like the idea of fewer pit bulls on the street." **

How do you reconcile these two statements? Does this mean that you would also support fewer Beagles, Welsh Corgis and Boston Terriers on the streets?

We do have a (harmless) big scary-looking dog and this is an issue that could effect me and my dog.

So much for the validity of your opinion.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

I read it ten times, but that was to get through your terrible punctuation.

OK, so it's your bandwagon. I'm sorry about your dog. But you and Marion seem to share one brain, and unfortunately for you he must have gotten most of it.

I seem to remember someone on this forum that continually gets bashed for not having any support whatsoever for their comments. That person's name is.... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Keep scrolling . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Keep scrolling . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....enforcer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianR-

I like dogs thanks. Almost all of them. I don't have to reconcile my statements. No reconciliation required my friend. Your comment makes no sense. They are coming after pit bulls because pit bulls maul and kill people more than other breeds. So, don't buy one.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion-I applaud you for helping a friend out in need and I won't comment on her dog because I don't know the story.

What I will say is that animals need to be considered for safety reasons no matter what kind they are. Just because they are dogs, man's best friend, doesn't mean they should still be pets if they are dangerous. It's funny how people get wrapped in defending their own civil rights and ignore other's rights. They have a right to own pit bulls until it infringes on other's rights to safety and not having their face mauled off and disfigured or even killed. Kind of like the smoking ban.

You choose to do something that infringes on someone elses rights, you get restricted. Boom, can't smoke in the restuarant. Your dog infringes on my family's safety and lives, you can't own it next door to me, my kids school, my business, etc. Doesn't mean you can't smoke anywhere else you want and it doesn't mean you can't buy any other type of dog. Just restricted.

Maybe people need to start considering others before they take certain actions and they won't be disappointed later.

naijagirl 8 years, 4 months ago

It's surprising that no one noticed (or maybe no one wants to comment) rightthinker's (a major misnomer when taken literally) and Marion's first few comments. Everytime I decide you have made a marginal attempt to redeem yourselves, you slither right back down to the bottom of that pit. That "breed"! "Ghetto Cruiser"?! Wow! I need time to recoup.

naijagirl 8 years, 4 months ago

I remember mentioning a month or so ago that empty barrels make the loudest noise. Hence the constant yapping from Marion's corner of the yard.

rightthinker referred to the "breed down in the heart of KCK that should be on that list." Please let me know how else to interpret that. And then explain how you agreeing with him and providing further justification for the elimination of this "breed" is not racist. What frightens me is that people like you masquerade as upstanding members of society. You could be my neighbour. Ick!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, I already knew that I did not agree with 99% of Marion's comments, but that just jumped up and over the century mark with these current posts! I dub thee "Sir Schmuck", aka "Sir Head-Up-His-Arse"! I know you are entitled to your opinion, I just hope you keep it to yourself more often than not.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by The_Original_Bob (anonymous) on August 16, 2006 at 9:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Hey Snippy! I'm the one that called you labdog to that racist scumsucker, Marion Sydney Lynn.

Sounds like they need to ban lapdogs now!!!

Marion writes:

I did not write that post about "black people".

Further the term "breed" used in connection with specific groups or individuals falls well within the guidelines of acceptable use of the language without any "racist" implications.

I'm totally not buying that truckload of shiz you just dropped, Marion. Please point us in the direction of where we can find this list of acceptable uses of language.

I don't think the ghetto cruiser referenence was the primary offense. I, myself, don't believe that has racial connotations to it, but rather speaks of certain styles of cars as you describe. I think the reference to breed was the offender, and rightly so. I see an undercurrent in your postings that lead me to believe the intent of your comment was out of line, especially when you turn right around and throw down some wanna-be ebonics type words.

...and here comes enforcer to the (pitiful attempt of a) rescue

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

pitiful, and irrelevant (was to enforcer)

I'm seeing a nice lack of response time from these two this morning. Maybe enforcer needs to get her hands out of Marion's shorts so she can type with two hands and Marion can pay attention.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm seeing an attempt at diversion by enforcer from Marion to lame poetry, but whatever. The damage has been done. Marion opened his mouth and spewed forth crap and it is forever emblazened in his posts here. No need to argue, it is now in the printed form.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

I see these two as the type of people that would go out and run into each other in their cars as a scheme to get insurance money.

I see it now~~~~~~~goes into dream sequence-

Marion and enforcer driving through the Merc parking lot in their respective ghetto cruisers. Marion has a picture of himself strapped into the passenger seat and an "RCT" magnet on the side of the doors. enforcer has a blow up passenger strapped into her front seat to ward off attackers since she can't take care of herself, and a big mean dog in the back seat trying drooling over the sight of the elderly woman in the next car.

Next thing, SMACKO!!!!!! What a surprise they crash into each other! Marion says, "Oh, my back"! enforcer says, "Oh, my head"! $$$$ flows in from insurance. Marion spends his paying people to read his website and enforcer buys another dog and some more lube.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

yeah, I could swb, but I'm not feeling poetic. Felt like writing a short narrative instead.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

You are out of it enforcer. Where did anyone claim to know anything about poetry. Truly a world class moron! Give me your address and I'll send you a trophy!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Come back when you have something to add, enforcer. The problem with puzzles constructed by idiots is that they cut the pieces independently of each other and none of them fit together to form anything comprehensible.

I see Marion has no further justification or explanation for "breed". Too bad. I am truly sad for bigots. What a sad life to have.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by swbsow (anonymous) on August 16, 2006 at 11:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I've got it! The pattern here is that Enforcer has cut & pasted black poetry in reverse alphabetical order based on the poets' last names.

Very clever, Enforcer. I applaud your brillance!

I hope your applause is only that of a one-armed man, because enforcer doesn't deserve more than that.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Whoa, wait! I was so wrapped up in all of these great poetic postings and life lessons form enforcer that I totally forgot Marion made a bigoted remark.

Not really. Come on back, Marion, and try another attempt at justifying "breed".

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Powershopper, I understand that Marion stirs the pot just to see the reaction. But, you still have to call him out for his comments. And I agree about enforcer. She needs to ride the short bus to the ward for another round of electroshock therapy.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

You sidetracked no one enforcer. You aren't that smart. From the get go, people were saying you were irrelevant.

"Posted by i_have_only_valid_opinions (anonymous) on August 16, 2006 at 11:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

pitiful, and irrelevant"

There were others too. Don't pat yourself on the back just yet. And then It wasn't you who turned the conversation back, was it?

"Posted by i_have_only_valid_opinions (anonymous) on August 16, 2006 at 12:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Have we lost focus of the topic here? That pit bulls are bad? How could enforcer forget about the topic of dogs when hers is sitting at her side? Oh wait, it isn't anymore. hehe."

What else do you want to claim or take credit for? Marion's bigotry?

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion, I'm only seeing where you are 2 for 2 in the sense that you are blind in both eyes.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey enforcer! Your buddy Marion is still off track. You guys need to synch up with each other. You're arguing that we got off track and it's your buddy that pointed the bigoted conversation that way. I thought you were conjoined at the head?

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Powershopper, nice catch. I missed that and it's pretty funny (read:freudian).

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

But the dumb theory has been proven without a doubt.

Peace out! Lunch calls.

(for enforcer, that means "bye for now"!)

BS20 8 years, 4 months ago

If they ban Boxers im moving

It's not the dog, it's the owner

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Me thinks Marion = LJW administrator. Freedom of speech without being banned and creating controversy so people post more.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

And enforcer is just dumb enough to be Fred Phelps.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

TOB - Unfortunately I think I knew that already. I was just hoping that maybe he wasn't a real person. I don't think I have time to research him. Seems like I could poke myself in the eyes for a few minutes and be better served.

betti81 8 years, 4 months ago

Enforcer: It seems whenever someone calls you out for misusing a word, stating a source that does not exist or spewing crap disguised as facts, your answer is always an insult followed by instructions for the person to do the research themselves. My recommendation, find a new tactic because every time you do this, we all know you are being untrue and/or have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

And Marion, no matter what you try to say to the contrary, your comments paired with those of rightthinker were racist. And quite sad.

That said, I am sad KCK is euthanizing dogs.

BrianR 8 years, 4 months ago

RT got banned? That's not ok. RT was often ascerbic but I didn't find him particularly nasty or mean unless people messed with him. Naturally, I haven't read all of his posts because time is a really finite resource and I have to pick my discussions carefully but banned?!?

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

And enforcer is just dumb enough to be Fred Phelps.

Good one....but Fred is actually too smart to be enforcer and this explains why.......

And enforcer is after all using Marion as an attorney....Fred has a whole army of them and would have already won this battle!!!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh BTW....since the topic is about banning pitbulls....I will add my opinion. I owned a pitbull many years ago and though I agree with what was said about owners taking responsibility, I do believe that that breed of dog was bred to attack and it is an inherent trait they all have. Therefore unless the community consist of only consenting adults...I feel it is in the best interest of children residing in any given community, that pitbulls be BANNED.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Well then perhaps you'd like to do her "research" for her when she post falicies and refuses to admit she's wrong!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Sorry...was distracted, thanks so much for correcting that for me!

Well a couple months back she made a comment on another thread that I know for a fact was incorrect and she couldn't/wouldn't come up with her proof. She insists to this day that she posted the state info, however what she did post, didn't verify her statement.

Again I have an inside resource to the information that she insisted was a fact and actually was NOT. Therefore she is spreading lies on a public forum!

Marion -

In regards to correcting other people's spelling mistakes:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

You have as many or more spelling errors and typos as anyone. Get over your self. I also can't believe that your name appears in as many quotes as it does in the newspaper. Why would anyone keep asking your opinion? My guess is that you are shoving it down their throats and they despise you for it.

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

You guys gotta stop posting like this.

I'm all out of popcorn.

enforcer -

As for your dog, even if it isn't mean I worry about the competency of the owner. And isn't that what you say causes bad dog behaviour?

acg 8 years, 4 months ago

You guys are killing me with this thread. I love it!!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion? Woners? What is a woner? Oops, looks like you shouldn't have been too quick to correct other people's spelling this morning, huh? Like I said yesterday, get over yourself.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Hey LJW! Why the hell did you remove my post? Because enforcer said too? Or Marion? Grow some nuts and make decisions for yourself. There was nothing in those posts that was out of line. Thank you.

Oh, I forgot Marion is running the show here. He has so much power!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

For those who missed it, all I said in my post was that enforcer re-inforced (no pun intended) my point that a holocaust is a massive slaughter and the killing of 100 dogs does not justify the use of the term.

Let's see if they remove this repeat post.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, I agree that they will find other dogs to fight. But, if we are putting the blame on the owners here, we can see that some owners aren't responsible enough to handle these pets and train them correctly. No matter the source there are mean dogs on the street. Since we can't go door-to-door with a questionnaire and ask people if they will be good dog owners before they buy a pit bull, the only option is to ban them all together. Sucks for those people who already own them, but still the best alternative.

In conjunction with the ban their needs to be heavier punishment for dog fighting and stricter laws regarding the containment and actions of your pets. The ban by itself is not the answer.

The bottom line is that human life is more important than that of a few dogs.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Your lucky, biggunz. Marion would have eaten you for dinner on that.

And I forgot, Marion - boo hoo.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

IHOVO, Killing dozens of dogs that have never done any harm to anybody, just because they happen to be of a particular breed, isn't "unjust slaughter"??

No, it isn't people that it's being done to this time. But any society that will do this kind of thing to animals could possibly do it to humans. Just as anybody that will abuse an animal will also abuse people.

southerngirl 8 years, 4 months ago

Badger- popcorn...you gave me a laugh with that one.

The score of this tennis match currently stands at no love. Someone else will have to keep score now. In lieu of Drew Carey (where has he been!?) I offer 1,000 points to everyone for pure entertainment value. I have to go get kids at school, TTFN ...

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Posted by crazyks (anonymous) on August 17, 2006 at 1:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm not saying I like it, and I'm not saying it's pretty. I was pointing out to enforcer that her use of the holocaust was incorrect. Mainly because this isn't "massive" killing. It is by no means massive and therefore does not fit the description of holocaust. That was my point. Not just vs. unjust. Not wrong vs. right?

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, I am seeing all that now ForThePeople. She truly is an idiot in every sense of the word. I will now join your club of not wasting time on her or her nonsense.

Thanks.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 4 months ago

they over threw this law....They could not find one expert ready to confirm breed specific danger.....They will force you to neuter though(99% of the time a good idea)

Linda Endicott 8 years, 4 months ago

"The justified and humane euthanizing of 100 dogs is nothing close to a holocaust. A holocaust is an "unjust massive slaughter". Here we have a just and limited control procedure occurring."

This is the part of your post that I find disagreeable. I fail to see how euthanizing any dog that has never harmed anyone can be "justified" at all. They are only doing this because the dogs just happen to be of a particular breed, not because they have done anything.

A just and limited control procedure? What exactly is so just about it?

If KC was the only place this was occuring, it would be bad enough. But it's not. There are other communities across the country that are doing the same thing.

Marion:

Please excuse yourself from the US and go live in Europe then.

Thanks.

IHOVO

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

Marion, you know angelfire's a vanity site, right? Like geocities? That site expresses the opinions of one person, maybe a small group, but it by no means 'speaks for' a large population of European dog owners.

Basically, that's just some guy's website who has appropriated the phrase 'dog holocaust' to describe something he personally objects to. Maybe he's found some media references to the phrase, or maybe it's what all his friends call it, or maybe he's the anti-dog-holocaust militia, but your implication that this is how 'European dog owners' view it is ridiculous, unless you have some references (besides more vanity sites) that indicate the phrase is in wide use in Europe.

That link is no better a reference than

the

other

site

you

constantly

pimp.

omb - the question about China is a good one. What about the destruction of thousands of dogs in a fit of mass hysteria? If the killing of dozens of dogs is a 'massive slaughter' or a 'dog holocaust', then what on earth do you call what happened there?

jupraven 8 years, 4 months ago

I believe that you are in the realm of ridiculousness swbsow.... I mean killing off innocent animals; because of the actions of another? Sounds pretty ridiculous to me! Follow me if you will, and try to keep up: So, if a family has say 5 children, and one of them should hypothetically murder someone..... would you go and punish or kill the other family members???????????? I thought NOT!
Now then, are dogs not members of the animal kingdom? Same as people? I thought SO! So, how can ANY of you people apply any logical rationale for what is happening to these dogs? If a person kills a K-9 officer of the law, then that person goes to JAIL for Murder!!!! How is killing another dog any different?????
If a dog has an issue, then take that up with the dog, and its respective caretaker! If not, then how about offering some obedience classes for pet and owner! How about some constructive solutions sometime!?!?! All you guys are doing is beating each other up! Might be fun, but you aren't accomplishing s**t for either side. Have you all gone completely mental? No offense intended to anyone posting here, but can anyone honestly say that THEY, themselves are ready to look into 150+ dogs' eyes, and put them to sleep???? Doubtful.

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

And, weighing in for the hysterics, we have jupraven and an impressive contingent of punctuational heavyweights!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Spreading lies and hatred again...I can't believe the JW has let you get away with slander for so long!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Do we know the word this defines.....a person who tells lies? I'll give you a hint...it has four letters.

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds to me like your the stalker....since you claim to know about posters personal lives including my own in a previous thread....and you know nothing about me....I could be swbsows spouse, for all you know!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

Now I'm done with your stupidity for one day....I'll wait for a thread that actually matters. You have done a nice job of keeping this one bumped for you own selfish reasons....I'll give you that!

ForThePeople 8 years, 4 months ago

HAHAHAHA....you just proved you know nothing about what you speak!!!!!