Archive for Tuesday, August 8, 2006

Accident disrupts I-70 traffic

August 8, 2006, 7:08 a.m. Updated August 8, 2006, 12:04 p.m.

Traffic is back to normal on westbound Interstate 70 after being slowed all morning by a wreck involving two semi trucks.

The wreck happened at 5:45 a.m. just west of the west Lawrence exit, causing westbound traffic to be down to one lane until 11:30 a.m.

According to the Kansas Turnpike Authority, one semi, a 2001 Kenworth driven by Frederic D. Murphy, 40, of South Bend, Ind., left the highway and rear-ended a 2001 International driven by Willie E. Washington, 35, of Roeland Park.

Both drivers suffered minor injuries and were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 4 months ago

I bet that was a huge mess, no word on the drivers.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 4 months ago

I saw the "remains" of this accident this morning on my way to work. It looked pretty bad. There was a semi on the shoulder and the cab was pretty much demolished. Then there was a long box truck (not another semi) backwards up in the grass on the shoulder with all of its contents spilled everywhere.

I don't know what happened. It looked like maybe the semi rear ended the other truck pushing it off the road and spinning it around. That's totally a guess though.

You don't see semi cabs that damaged too often. Hope everyone is alright.

METALQ2 8 years, 4 months ago

I hope Transmasters isn't working the accident, if so we will see a rape in tomorrows paper

badger 8 years, 4 months ago

I hope everyone involved in this accident recovers quickly.

angelofmine 8 years, 4 months ago

Ha...funny you should say that anonymous.

My ex was a trucker. They couldn't treat his psychological issues (sociopath, personality disorders, pathological liar) because.....drum roll.....he was 'chemically dependent' on methamphetamines anc couldn't take medication. And he's still driving around Lawrence. Lots 'o luck to you guys driving around up there with him!

samsnewplace 8 years, 4 months ago

Soapdish 8 years, 4 months ago

Awesome attitude. My father drove for many years and was a dock worker for three times that amount. He eventually retired having never had a chemical dependency and always maintained a perfect driving record.

You want your stuff delivered on time? Truck drivers are doing it at the demand we the consumer create. Give them their room on the interstate and remember that they are carrying tons worth of loads and can't just stop on a dime. Addiction assumptions aside, we could ALL stand to be smarter on the road. If you can't see the truck drivers mirrors, the driver can't see you.

Did your stuff arrive on time? Yeah, that's what I thought.

GetItRight 8 years, 4 months ago

"Posted by samsnewplace (anonymous) on August 8, 2006 at 11:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The radio this morning said no injuries, I hope this is true because I went by it also this morning and it looked bad."

What station were you listening to? KLWN said there were injuries and at one point, a helicopter was standing by.

reginafliangie 8 years, 4 months ago

No helicopter was used. They canceled it. They transported 2 people by ambulance with non life threatening injuries. They might even be out of the hospital by now.

kolisach 8 years, 4 months ago

I got sideswiped by an inattentive semi at about the same location. Watch out morning commuters. Sleepy semi drivers and road construction are a deadly mix. Very scary.

cms 8 years, 4 months ago

My father, too, was a sober and sane truckdriver for over 30 years. HE would tell stories of inattentive car drivers that would pull out in front of him, cut him off and basically drive like crap in front of his semi. His assertion was that car drivers thought semi trucks could stop as quickly as a car. Not so.

Soapdish 8 years, 4 months ago

anonymous_lj

I agree there are reckless truck drivers. I've heard lot's of stories about them. More than anything I would like to see ALL drivers, 40,000lbs or not, paying better attention to each other. My concern was the immediate jump to conclusion that one or both was on drugs.

As a former Geo driver, I promise, getting next to a rig on a windy day was not something I spent much time doing. Get around 'em or stay behind 'em. Here's to hoping all of us have safe trips home.

pooter 8 years, 4 months ago

I would like to know how all these truckers on crack, crank, meth, or whatever are beating the federally mandated random drug testing they are continuously subjected to.

juscin3 8 years, 4 months ago

My hubby is a truck driver and he is only to have a DOT physical every 2 yrs. The drug test is only to be used when the driver is in an accident. He went by the accident and told me about how bad it looked and was very suprised on what the paper said that no one was seriously hurt. Thank goodness that no one was, but from the sound of it, he said there might have been a fatality. I know that since my hubby has been a truck driver, I am more attentive with my driving. You never know when the weight will try to take over the truck and the driver isn't expecting it. Although, they should expect the worse, but you never know when its goin to happen. EX: hubby was comin back from Colby last week and the axle broke on it and caused a lil fire. He lucked out with his employee driving behind him called him and let him know. The spindle on the axle was broke and caused him to have to stay in Hays over night. Things like this you don't expect. You think you have proper equipment but don't. Might I add the equipment was NOT his, so it wasn't his fault. (just wanna clarify this so no one goes and points fingers at him!) hahaha...

pooter 8 years, 4 months ago

I have been a truck driver for over 18 years and I can tell you per federal DOT rules that all CDL holding truck drivers are subject to random drug testing and can be drug tested at any time, not just if they have been involved in an accident.