Archive for Sunday, August 6, 2006

Llamas in the limelight

August 6, 2006

Delia, the 4-year-old llama, is trained for public relations.

Saturday afternoon at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds, she wore a little hat, walked under a bar, let an observer pet her, posed for a quick flash photograph and showed off her teeth for a judge - all in a span of a few minutes.

"Sometimes people take them to funeral homes to cheer people up or to visit schools," said Jacob Hetrick, 17, and Delia's handler.

Hetrick lives near Stull, and his family now has nine llamas, he said. During the public relations course, Delia shook her head a few times when he made her wear the hat, but other than that she did well, he said.

"They don't like stuff on top of their heads," Hetrick said. "They are always trying to get it off. If they realize they can't get it off, then they will stop."

Sure, llamas can be a little stubborn, Hetrick said. Other competitors with the Douglas County Llama Project on Saturday had trouble getting their llamas to budge and move around the ring when they needed them to move.

But the training also can pay off.

"Once you teach them something, they will remember it for the rest of their life, so you don't have to keep reteaching them," Hetrick said. "They are good guard animals too, for a herd."

Before the public relations test, Delia won first place for her performance around the ring in an obstacle course.

Jennifer Goff, 17, of Baldwin, was showing Roo, a 3-year-old, and Tia, who is 1 year old. She showed llamas at the fair for the second year in a row.

Roo won second place in the obstacle course.

"I think it's going OK," Goff said. "Sometimes, they can get stubborn when they are nervous."

Evan and Ashley Foos also showed their llamas in competitions Saturday inside the fair's judging arena.

The Douglas County Fair wraps up today with a few events, including the awards ceremony at 3 p.m. and the 4-H Livestock Auction, both in the Community Building.

Comments

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 8 months ago

OK, so a llama, a politician, and a lawyer walk into a bar....

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

I can see the look on my face right now in 70 years when I'm lying in a nursing home or hospital (God forbid) and I'm looking out my door into the hall and lo and behold, a llama walks by. More morphine please! This sh*t is strong! haha.

jrlii 7 years, 8 months ago

As I understand it, a llama will do a good job of intimidating a lone dog or coyote.

However, many a shepherd counting on a llama to protect their sheep has found that if there is a pack of dogs, the llama gets killed or horribly injured, along with a much of their flock.

Electrified wires low enough to zap a dog or coyote trying to crawl under the fence seems to work pretty well, though if it occurs to the coyotes that they can jump the fence, I'll be in deep doo. Eventually, I expect I aught to get a Great Pyrenees, Maurema or some such to guard the sheep.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

bialystocknbloom,

I find this to be just as funny as the funeral home comment.

Llamas Shop & Save - Home Furnishings Store Ratings. Consumer Reviews.

Maybe the kid meant they take Llamas to retirement homes instead of funeral homes?

'Cause I just can't imagine bringing in a Llama to cheer someone up whose loved one has just died.

"I'm sorry for your loss, here's a Llama to take your mind off of it."

Marion Lynn 7 years, 8 months ago

bialystocknbloom:

Llamas are good things, expecially in 9MM or .45!

Thanks.

Marion.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

"Some people like to take them to a funeral home."

Wow that was SO funny. Seriously. The picture of a llama walking into the middle of someone's visitation...priceless.

Llamas rock!

geekin_topekan 7 years, 8 months ago

Ever hugged a llama?They're greasy and they spit. I was trying to remove a baby from it's moptyher and that was an adventure.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 8 months ago

Llamas are cool people; pronounced "Yama", by the way.

Soft and cuddly; they can even be very protective!

I once got run down by one of those Andean critters when he thought that I was attacking his keeper!

I was actually only kissing her but he dint like any of that so he knocked me down and started grunting and pawing the dirt!

When the object of my affection recoverd from her rib-busting laughter, she got him calmed down and we wnet indoors in front of the fireplace for some wine, cheese and.....................

The Llama paced up and down in front of the house until I left the next morning.

After that, me and the Peruvian Jeep were pretty good freinds but he would still occsionally give me that "look"!

Thanks.

Marion.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 8 months ago

My sister was once bitten by a llama......

classclown 7 years, 8 months ago

I once read a story about keeping llamas with sheep. They keep the wolves away.