The votes from Tuesday's primary election were certified by the Douglas County Board of Canvassers on Friday.
Though some numbers changed, there were no changes in the outcome of races announced Tuesday. In the final count, 9,338 ballots were cast and the number of voters participating was 12.6 percent, the second-lowest turnout in the state.
Serving as the board of canvassers were County Commissioner Jere McElhaney, Treasurer Paula Gilchrist and Register of Deeds Kay Pesnell. At the recommendation of County Clerk Jamie Shew, they decided not to count 50 of 248 provisional ballots. Those ballots were thrown out for various reasons ranging from not being a registered voter in Douglas County to not having identification.
Write-in ballots decided two township clerk races. Jim Gabriel becomes the Republican nominee for Eudora Township, while Frank Rhodes is the Republican nominee for Marion Township.
The following precinct committee members were elected as a result of write-in votes:
Precinct 2: Democrats Dan Watkins and Michel Loomis, and Republican Carrie Mayhew.
Precinct 26: Democrat Aimee Polson.
Precinct 31: Democrat Kate Bailey.
Precinct 19: Republican Kathleen Morgan.
Precinct 65: Republican Genevieve Hunsinger.
Precinct 48: Republican James Lowe.
Precinct 49: Republican Shawn Miller.
Election 2006 - Kansas races
More on the 2006 Elections in Kansas
- 6News video: Low turnout may result in new primary election date (08-30-06)
- 6News video: Candidate speaks at university forum (08-30-06)
- 6News video: Evolution supporters will hold board majority (08-02-06)
- 6News video: Snag-free night for primaries (08-02-06)
- 6News video: County puts new voting machines to test (08-01-06)
- 6News video: Praeger holds up over opponent (08-01-06)
- Low turnout prompts call for new primary date (08-31-06)
- Publisher blasts candidate for illegally stuffing newspapers (08-04-06)
- Election hailed as pro-evolution (08-03-06)
- New voting machines perform well on first test (08-03-06)
- Barnett wins GOP bid to take on Sebelius (08-02-06)
- Voter turnout among lowest in memory (08-02-06)
- Eudora takes plunge on pool (08-02-06)
- Praeger prevails in 'negative' contest (08-02-06)
- Primary election results
- See how the voting went in select races
- Campaign finance reports
- Statewide office
- Board of Education
- Election 2006 - Kansas races